Thread: Desert Valley Fever.

Default Desert Valley Fever.

You know you are gonna get it. I got it bad in 2007 and remained sick til almost June. I remember a large group of boardies got it that year as well.

If don't know what I am talking about, google it. Basically fungi/mold spores are released when the dirt is shook up. You breath it in....and presto, you're sick.

Does anyone know if there is any way to prevent it? All I can think of is wear your scarf over your face when walking through the big dust clouds.

Default Re: Desert Valley Fever.

I'm surprised a doctor in Tennessee was able to diagnose it for you.

Spores are very small, so a scarf won't help you for shit. Good luck.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by stephen22 View Post
    You know you are gonna get it. I got it bad in 2007 and remained sick til almost June. I remember a large group of boardies got it that year as well.

If don't know what I am talking about, google it. Basically fungi/mold spores are released when the dirt is shook up. You breath it in....and presto, you're sick.

Does anyone know if there is any way to prevent it? All I can think of is wear your scarf over your face when walking through the big dust clouds.
    Luuucky. Carrying the flesh of the polo field around for that long sounds like a blessing.

Oh and this

Treatment

There are no published prospective studies that examine optimal antifungal therapy for coccidioidomycosis. Mild cases often do not require treatment. Oral Fluconazole and intravenous Amphotericin B are used in progressive or disseminated disease, or in which patients are immunocompromised. Alternatively, itraconazole or ketoconazole may be used.[14] Posaconazole and voriconazole have also been used.
    Last edited by phonographer; 04-12-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

I wasn't sick, but my knee was sore for almost a week after standing all dang weekend. This is about the only think I'm worried about this year.
    I've got two fingers in the air, and ya gots to give me somethin to smoke.

Lurker

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to mention that I was diagnosed with a case of Valley Fever after last year's show. (2015) I've always been fine just tying a handkerchief over my mouth when the dust was bad, but as I was sitting on the dirt I took it off for a moment. Then, somebody ran by and stirred up a big cloud of dust, which I accidentally inhaled. I coughed violently, had trouble breathing the rest of the festival (felt like an asthma attack), and would wheeze throughout the night. Anyway, just wanted to mention it so people can be prepared!

As a side note, I live in NYC and the doctor I went to knew what it was right away. I had suffered for a few weeks and it didn't seem to be getting better. I was getting dizzy and breaking out in sweats during the day. But, he gave me some breathing treatments and an inhaler, and I was fine a few days later.

it's certainly better than getting the coachella clap
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I, 2017: II

A bandana isn't going to do much to protect from valley fever, though it's better than nothing. Need a vogmask, respro/rz mask, or even some of those white n99 dust masks from Home Depot to up the level of protection. Best to get one with an exhalation valve so it lets not as hot while wearing during the day, too. And the dust is in the air then even though it's harder to see, night time is when it really shines in those lights, can truly see how bad it is.a
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-20-2017 at 08:12 AM.

I didn't get sick this year but I mean, yeah - it's just part of the trade lol. wear a bandanna or be uncomfortable and look like a goof with a gas mask on.

Vogmask just looks kinda like the paper hospital masks, has ear loops and is really comfortable. Has a carbon filter layer and is n99 approved.

I don't have a choice, have to wear one since post double lung transplant. Wore one last year and even with a severely compromised immune system due to the antirejection meds made it through the weekend unscathed.