Thread: Squamish Valley Music Festival 2016 Cancelled

Default Squamish Valley Music Festival 2016 Cancelled

This is shocking. Between Squamish and Pemberton, I thought Pemberton would have been the one to fold. I'm guessing the weak Canadian dollar was at least one factor.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/squamish-extrem...tion-1.2800804
    The annual Squamish Valley Music Festival has cancelled its much-anticipated 2016 event.

“We have made the extremely difficult decision to not proceed with the 2016 festival, due to take place in August,” a statement on the website read.

“This decision was not made lightly and we sincerely apologize to all the people this decision affects: the fans, artists, industry partners, corporate partners, suppliers and all of our supporters within the community of Squamish.”

Squamish Valley Music Festival appeared to have also deleted its social media pages, including Twitter and Facebook. No reason has been given for the cancellation, and it’s not clear if just the 2016 festival – or all foreseeable events – have been eliminated.

The three-day event was schedule to take place Aug. 5 to 7 at the Logger Sports Grounds and Hendrickson Fields in Squamish, B.C. Last year, more than 118,000 people attended the festival, which featured headliners Sam Smith, Drake, and Mumford and Sons.

The District of Squamish says it was “extremely disappointed” to hear of the cancellation.

Default Re: Squamish Valley Music Festival 2016 Cancelled

Each time I left Pemberton in 2014 and 2015 I said to myself, "There is NO way this festival is going to happen again next year," yet they keep coming back. This is a huge shocker. I just figured Squamish established itself as the BC heavyweight over Pemberton. That Canadian dollar definitely didn't do them any favors with the type of lineups they've been releasing.

From what I understand the dollar is the biggest factor here; 30 percent is a big hit to take. It is disappointing but I do know that there has also been a lot of push back in the community and complaints about the festival itself over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

It's also run by Live Nation now and all they care about is making money.

Good riddance. 2014 was one of the worst festival experiences I ever had. 2013 and prior was a nice sized festival for a good price, then it all went to shit when Live Nation took over.

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    It's also run by Live Nation now and all they care about is making money.

Good riddance. 2014 was one of the worst festival experiences I ever had. 2013 and prior was a nice sized festival for a good price, then it all went to shit when Live Nation took over.
    Live Nation was a partner of some kind, but Squamish was always run by Vancouver company BrandLive http://brandlivegroup.com/home-slider/projects/

Lurker

i was a little shocked too. I wonder how it'll affect pemby. I've been to pemby the last 2 years and its been somewhat of a sh!t show. Now that theres only one big festival, I'm sure everyone will be flocking to pemby. I'm Glad I got my Coachella and sasquatch passes though.

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    Live Nation was a partner of some kind, but Squamish was always run by Vancouver company BrandLive http://brandlivegroup.com/home-slider/projects/
    From what I understand Live Nation took over the booking in 2014, hence the drastic lineup change from headliners like Queens of the Stoneage and Vampire Weekend to Bruno Mars, Eminem and Arcade Fire.

This Vancouver Sun blog post has some interesting insight http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2016/0...what-happened/