Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple’s music streaming service

Default Apple’s music streaming service

Spotify vs Tidal vs Apple

Apple has watched in recent years as the digital music download business it pioneered more than a decade ago has slumped and consumers shifted to streaming music. Rumored details about the new Apple Music service have been floating around for months now. The service is expected to be priced around the industry standard of $9.99 per month and include lots of curation by popular DJs and musicians to help consumers discover new music.

While Morris didn’t reveal any details about Apple’s pricing, he emphasized several times that he much prefers paid streaming services to ad-supported ones from a financial perspective. What’s more, he was clearly enthusiastic about the Apple launch, and said he expected it to represent a kind of “tipping point” that would accelerate the shift to streaming.

“What does Apple bring to this?” Morris said. “Well, they’ve got $178 billion dollars in the bank. And they have 800 million credit cards in iTunes. Spotify has never really advertised because it’s never been profitable. My guess is that Apple will promote this like crazy and I think that will have a halo effect on the streaming business.
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/07/so...vice-tomorrow/

8/25 Kamasi Washington @ Blue Note
    8/28 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/29 Matias Aguayo/The Black Madonna/Galcher Lustwerk @ TBA
    8/30 Ryan Crosson/Shaun Reeves @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Default Re: Apple’s music streaming service

Pretty excited about this. I've been using Rdio now for the past year and a half or so. I find it much more enjoyable than Spotify for many reasons and I'm going to be sad to cancel my subscription. But now, I feel like Apple Music will combine Spotify and Rdio with LastFM with Twitter and Instagram with BBC iPlayer, etc etc.

While I'm excited for it from a consumer standpoint, I really hope the connect feature leads to some cool benefits for the artists too. Being able to reach a large majority of their listener base instantly, at the same time, and in one place seems like a big plus. Just hope the streaming quality is at least 320 kbps like Spotify and Rdio.

The idea of having everything all in one place, my library and the iTunes Store library, available to stream whenever I want sounds great to me. Excited mainly for Zane Lowe. I'll check out the free trial!

What really intrigues me though is how bands and artists make use of the Connect feature...supposedly Kanye's new album might be released this way?

We are profoundly passionate about music. It’s a force that’s driven and inspired us from day one. So we’ve set out to make it better. To bring you more music than ever with access to millions of songs. To give you personal recommendations from people who know and love music. To deepen the connection between artists and fans. To reimagine radio with a 24/7, global station.
    This is Apple Music. And it’s just the beginning.

Starting June 30, experience all of Apple Music for three months, free.1 Whether you’re listening solo or looking for entertainment for the whole family, Apple Music has a membership that’s right for you. Individual plans are $9.99 a month. And family plans are just $14.99 a month.2 Even without a membership, you can listen to Beats 1 radio, see what artists are posting on Connect, and hear our ad‑supported stations.

Beats 1.
    The world’s local station.

This is radio as it’s never been done before. Beats 1 brings you the latest music, interviews, and culture, 24/7. Tune in to this shared listening experience, broadcast worldwide from our studios in Los Angeles, New York, and London. We’ve also brought a fresh eye (and ear) to the rest of our radio stations. Our music experts have totally revamped each station to bring you a fresh take on the genres you love.

Where artists and fans come together.

Connect is a place where fans can engage with their favorite artists. They can see, comment on, like, and share whatever exciting material an artist chooses to post. Unreleased demo tracks, an acoustic version of the latest hit, a video shot in the studio — it’s right here and straight from the source.
    http://www.apple.com/music/

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Spotify extras

Maybe the coolest feature Spotify has that Apple Music apparently doesn’t have (yet) is the social aspect: You can see what all your friends are listening to, and get suggestions based upon the friends you really trust.
    Also, Spotify recently added a cool running feature and a new video content initiative. Which is cool, I guess.
    Spotify has player, which, duh, come on Apple.

Apple Music extras

Apple Music’s big differentiator is Connect: A section of the app that lets you keep up with your favorite artists. It’s a little bit like a Facebook page that you can follow. The artist posts something, and you can respond to it. The artist can also use Connect to share exlcusive content.
    Apple plays nice with all of the content you already own. I have probably 100 GB of music uploaded to iTunes Match and I can grab it from any of my Apple devices on the fly. I like the looks of how Apple Music plans to deal with integrating your personal collection with everything else. (Google Music also works well with your personal music collection.)
    You shouldn’t underestimate how lazy people are. Apple already has hundreds of millions of credit cards on file. Many of these people will probably end up subscribing to Apple Music like the good Sheeple they are.
    Read more: http://gizmodo.com/how-is-apple-musi...-or-1709941203

is this going to replace iTunes Radio (the thing that's built into the music app) and the a beats app?
    Speaking of Zane Lowe, I'm reminded how much I miss BBC Radio 1 from SiriusXM.
    I don't like listening live because of the time delay in the UK.

Excited to see what Zane Lowe will bring to the table St. Vincent will also host a show?

Zane Lowe, the D.J. Scratching Out Beats 1 for Apple

Beats 1 is a high-tech twist on one of the oldest forms of electronic media. It is a fully programmed radio station, broadcasting with a complement of live D.J.s and even sponsors. But since it will be baked into every Apple mobile device as part of a new music app, it has the potential for a huge and instantaneous global reach.

Apple wants to exploit that reach — and help market its new music app — through radio, a medium that a decade ago may have seemed endangered by the Internet but has stayed surprisingly vital. Some 243 million people in the United States alone still listen to terrestrial radio each week, according to Nielsen, while the Internet-based Pandora draws nearly 80 million listeners each month. Apple Music will have a Pandora-like automated radio feature, in addition to Beats 1.

To keep Beats 1 sounding fresh around the world, the station will alternate one- and two-hour programming blocks by established broadcasters with those by musicians and celebrities, who will host and plan the shows themselves. Among the names on board: the teen actor Jaden Smith, the alternative singer St. Vincent, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and the British electronic duo Disclosure.

Dr. Dre, who founded the original Beats headphone company with the music executive Jimmy Iovine, will have his own show, “The Pharmacy.” Mr. Lowe, broadcasting from Los Angeles, will share weekday anchor duties with two other professional D.J.s: Ebro Darden (of the hip-hop station Hot 97) in New York and Julie Adenuga in London.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/ar...timesarts&_r=2

Apple Music Signs Beggars Group, Merlin: Sources

Beggars comprises the labels 4AD, XL, Matador and Rough Trade and has had a hand in the careers of Adele, Radiohead and Arcade Fire, among others; Merlin represents 20,000 labels and distributors worldwide.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...merlin-sources

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

This sounds dope. It's hard to leave spotify cause I have like 80 playlists there

Are all of Beggar's Group labels not on Spotify?
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 06-27-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Punctuation brain fart

It starts today!

Trent Reznor on Apple Music: Other Services 'Left Me Feeling Lacking

What was it about Zane Lowe's show that inspired you with Beats 1?

I started thinking over the last year and a half or so, listening to his show, that it's interesting to be able to hear a whole country tuned into something that was niche-y and edgy enough that it caught my attention next to something super mainstream. But it still kept my attention because Zane's personality and excitement jelled it into something that felt powerful and I realized I was listening to things that I wouldn't if I could just skip through it, or stuff I wouldn't listen to in the first place. The passion of Zane was infectious and I thought, "Man, I wonder if that would work on a global level." I wonder if it's possible if we pumped out the same music around the world, taking this through the lens of Apple. What would that be like? Could we do that in an interesting fashion and could the whole world tune into something?
    Are you working on new music?

Yeah, I've been messing around with some things. And I went through a period of "tour, tour, tour." Things right after another, with scores and what I've been doing whilst working on Apple music here is what I call "laboratory time," more experiments without any definite agenda. It's not for a thing, it's not a record I'm trying to finish in a month. It's more just feeling around in the dark and seeing what sounds interesting. It's nice to do that every few years to try and reinvent and discover and try to learn about yourself and what feels exciting to you as an artist.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0150630?page=5

Apple Music: Everything You Need to Know

1. The service offers Netflix-style hyper-customization
    2. Beats 1 radio will bring familiar voices to music fans in interesting ways
    3. Apple Music makes finding new music a little easier
    4. The "For You" tab consistently yields interesting results
    5. Apple Music wants to try its hand at an artist-centric social network
    6. It's Apple, so its music library is fairly complete

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0150630?page=3

Apple Bets Big That You'll Start Paying To Stream Music

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...o-stream-music

Apple Music: What Works (and What Doesn’t)

http://www.spin.com/2015/06/apple-mu...-trent-reznor/

Trent Reznor on Apple Music: Other Services 'Were Not Paying Me to Make Playlists and to Release Unnecessary Instrumental Versions of Albums that I Originally Released During the Clinton Administration'
    Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Also, this is easily the spammiest post Spooks has ever written, which is truly saying something.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 06-30-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

The first music played on Beats 1 is Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music for Airports

http://www.factmag.com/2015/06/30/fi...-for-airports/

If this is Spooks-endorsed then I'm out.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

spooks why weren't you an abortion
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Trent Reznor on Apple Music: Other Services 'Were Not Paying Me to Make Playlists and to Release Unnecessary Instrumental Versions of Albums that I Originally Released During the Clinton Administration'
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Fixed
    Thou shalt not speak ill of Trent Reznor or The Fragile.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Spooks - I'm surprised you were able to even get access to Apple's service in Bumfuck, New Jersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    If this is Spooks-endorsed then I'm out.
    You think Drake is a great artist. Anything you say is irrelevant, bro...

https://www.coachella.com/forum/show...98#post3008998

Did your parents feed you paint
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Here’s how Apple Music stacks up against Spotify, Pandora and the other most popular streaming music services.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ing-guide.html

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Grab your connect name before some other jerk does.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/07/...-its-too-late/
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    You think Drake is a great artist. Anything you say is irrelevant, bro...

https://www.coachella.com/forum/show...98#post3008998
    Digging through my post history to find something that is actually still true? Okay...
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I'm really not interested in a service like this, but I read how Taylor Swift got Apple to agree to pay artists during the free 90-day period, and that got me thinking about maybe using the service during the free period just to get some money to artists I like. Do the artists get paid each time I stream a song, or just once per song regardless of how many times I play it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Here’s how Apple Music stacks up against Spotify, Pandora and the other most popular streaming music services.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ing-guide.html
    is this more or less arousing than masturbating to picture of animal corpses
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Do the artists get paid each time I stream a song, or just once per song regardless of how many times I play it?
    I think it's each time it's streamed, which is 0.2 cents per.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    I think it's each time it's streamed, which is 0.2 cents per.
    Interesting. I wonder if any bands might organize their friends to set up playlists that repeat an album over and over while they're work or asleep or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if any bands might organize their friends to set up playlists that repeat an album over and over while they're work or asleep or whatever.
    I believe that major labels do this for promotional purposes (to push new releases to the top of certain Spotify/Beats/etc charts).

So after 24 hours of using this service, I've got no arguments against it. It's everything beats was good at with everything I used iTunes Match for built into one system. The playlist transition was seamless, the playback quality is good, buffer time is minimal, and it's fairly easy to navigate. I was resistant because I liked beats, but really, having all those features combined with my iTunes library is a total win. I've deleted beats from my devices. Best feature though is th interface with other apps. I could never get beats or spottily to play nice with my exercise and running apps like iTunes. Now I've got all my favorite playlist working perfectly in runtastic. It was great knowing you beats. So long.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable male, get off my case....

Yeah really enjoying it as well, though I can not get the iCloud music library to work for my current computer based library of files. Maybe its getting overloaded by how many songs I have?? Not having that stops me from using the "offline" modes of the Apple Music selection.

But yeah its pretty fantastic. I also hope the connect thing is utilized well. Having Reznor already post instrumental Fragile songs shows great promise...

The thing that has impressed me most is the playlists that are suggested on my home screen. I usually hate the curated playlists of all apps and prefer making my own, but the apple ones have been excellent. There are a ton of "Deep Cuts" playlists of my favorite artists that I have been listening to a lot.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.