Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It might be raining blink-182. Again

Default It might be raining blink-182. Again

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2015/01/26/...its-blink-182/

Tom DeLonge Quits Blink-182
    Share this:More Sharing Services Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

Tom DeLonge (Simone Joyner/Getty Images)

by Jay Tilles

Tom DeLonge, co-founder of Blink-182 has quit the band.

In a statement released this morning from the band’s publicist, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker explain the show must go on.

Matt Skiba of the Alkaline Trio will join Blink-182 in replacement of Tom DeLonge at the 8th annual Musink Music and Tattoo Festival. “We were all set to play this festival and record a new album and Tom kept putting it off without reason. A week before we were scheduled to go in to the studio we got an email from his manager explaining that he didn’t want to participate in any Blink-182 projects indefinetly, but would rather work on his other non-musical endeavors.” Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus plan to honor all Blink-182 commitments including the Musink Festival and are excited to have singer/guitarist Matt Skiba join them for this project. “No hard feelings, but the show must go on for our fans.” Additionally, Skiba will continue to make new music and tour with the Alkaline Trio.

Related: Q&A: Angels & Airwaves’ Tom DeLonge Gets Personal on the Ambitious ‘Dream Walker’ Project

The news comes on the heels of this morning’s Musink announcement where it was revealed that Alkaline Trio’s Matt Skiva would be filling in for DeLonge. Within minutes, speculation of a break-up began circulating among fans.

The festival has become an important one to Barker. This is the second year that the drummer will curate the bands. Among this year’s performers are Bad Religion, Rancid, Yelawolf, OFF!, Sick of It All and Ignite. The 3-day fest takes place March 20-22 at the OC Fair & Events Center in Costa Mesa, Calif with tickets going on sale this Friday at 10:00am PT.

Default Re: It might be raining blink-182. Again

Then Tom responded:

“Actually, I was on the phone discussing a possible Blink-182 event in New York City when I heard the ‘news,’ . . . The ONLY truth here is that I have commitments that limit my availability this year. I love Blink-182 and I’m not leaving.”

Then Mark and Travis came out blazing, making it sound as though Tom has been checked out of Blink-182-world for years and has done everything but quit the band -

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...longe-20150126

This is a pretty fun read, even if you don't like blink-182, just to hear the scandalous anger in Mark and Travis' tones.

Speaking as the board's lone blink-182 fan who isn't The Klein, none of this is at all surprising. Everything Mark and Travis say about Tom confirms suspicions I've had ever since the band got back together. In the time since blink-182 reformed in 2009, Tom's side project Angels and Airwaves has put out three albums, while blink has only gotten one.

It's also not that big of a let-down. The parts of the last blink-182 record that worked least sounded a lot like Angels and Airwaves. I didn't like that album very much, but I could see another good blink-182 album happening if they can land a guitarist who can do something interesting.
    Last edited by iantmcfarland; 01-26-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Yeah it was a weird day. Thanks for summing the rest up for whoever still might be confused.
    I hope they talk it out and get this all resolved.
    Tom DeLonge should seriously just record this new album for the band. They're one of the few bands that I can think of where the two frontman write their own set of songs independently.

I don't know man. A part of me is really bummed to think that my first favorite band will never be complete again. But a larger part of me looks at his work, and I don't see anything there that interests me. I liked the Box Car Racer LP and think that the first AVA LP showed promise, but since then it's been a lot of bloviation. The Dream Walker was okay, but I'm putting that more on Ilan Rubin than Tom. And looking back on blink's stuff, Mark's songs are almost always better than Tom's.

Granted, +44 didn't exactly prove that Mark and Travis can get it done without Tom. But those two thirds of blink are the only ones with their heart in it, and I'd rather they tried something new than strain to appease Tom - and I've always thought Neighborhoods primary issue is that they made too many concessions to Tom, as if they were afraid he'd walk if he didn't get his way. I just want to hear Mark Hoppus sing some super-powered feelings again.

Also, anything that gets Tom's vocals out of blink-182 can only be a good thing. He went from not being able to sing to not being able to sing but thinking he could. His voice has just been hideous ever since I Empire.

I am loving ever minute of hearing about this. I despises Blink-182 as they were the popular music of a lot of the people who picked on me. Some people describe Sublime being the jock/asshole rock music of their middle school or high school and Blink 182 were my version in middle school and High School.
    Translation

Swans @ Terminal West 03/28/15
    Drive like Jehu @ The Glass House 04/08/15
    Electric Wizard @ Slims 04/17/15
    Acid Mother Temple @ BOTM 04/18/15
    Faith No More @ the Warfield 04/20/15
    John Zorn @ UCLA 05/02/15
    Will Bulter @ Slims 05/26/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15
    Mariah Carey @ Caesars palace 06/11/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

I still enjoy Sublime and the first two Blink records. You all can suck my dick twice. But, really, Blink 182 ended when they hired that doofus from Aquabats to play drums. Granted, he's a much better drummer than ... the fuck was that guy's name? Scott? Still. That was the death knell.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    No Taj Mahal or Ry Cooder? Fuck this thread.

Sorry for your loss, theklein. My condolences!
    F: AC/DC, Nero, Cloud Nothings, Lykke Li, Interpol, George Ezra, Azealia Banks, Todd Terje, Gorgon City
    S: Parquet Courts, Perfume Genius, Danny Tenaglia, Kasabian, Jack White, Royal Blood, TWOD, Chet Faker, What So Not
    S: The Orwells, OFF!, St. Vincent, Gesaffelstein, Joyce Manor, Lil B, Kaskade, Madeon

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Girl, you can pound your vagina so hard in those the Sahara will feel a new kind of drop...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    ... Keep fucking that chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I only ever listened to Enema of the State. I don't think I ever listened to anything before or after either.

April 1 - Yob
    April 6 - Swans
    April 7 - Liturgy
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    April 23 - John Talabot
    April 27 - The Body & Full of Hell
    May 1 - Sleep
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 13 - Noel Gallagher
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 10 - Melvins
    June 20 - Blur
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury
    July 18 - Death Grips?

Cheshire Cat is a sloppy, speedy mess that I love unabashedly. Dude Ranch cleaned it up a bit and added some better hooks. Enema of the State is beyond awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    No Taj Mahal or Ry Cooder? Fuck this thread.

I never knew there was so much douchery in this band, but I'm not really surprised
    ACxDC 2015

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    Sorry for your loss, theklein. My condolences!
    Thank you.

Enema of the State is their best album, definitely not their downfall, each tour got bigger and each single carried momentum from the last. Every album was awesome until their first breakup.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

waves of relief wash over me as i realize that i no longer remember what their popular songs were from high school. enjoy the ink festival, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

so many fucking blink-182 songs on the mixtapes my highschool boyfriend made me.

3/30: White Fence, Twerps @ Bottom of the Hill
    3/31: Public Service Broadcasting @ DNA Lounge
    4/6: Hookworms, Disappears @ The Rickshaw Stop
    4/8: Drive Like Jehu @ The Glass House
    4/9-12: Coachella
    4/17: Swans, Angel Olsen
    4/24-26: Stagecoach

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

My first exposure to Blink-182 was on Now That's What I Call Music! 4.

April 1 - Yob
    April 6 - Swans
    April 7 - Liturgy
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    April 23 - John Talabot
    April 27 - The Body & Full of Hell
    May 1 - Sleep
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 13 - Noel Gallagher
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 10 - Melvins
    June 20 - Blur
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury
    July 18 - Death Grips?

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Cheshire Cat is a sloppy, speedy mess that I love unabashedly. Dude Ranch cleaned it up a bit and added some better hooks. Enema of the State is beyond awful.
    I still have my copy of Chesire Cat from when they were Blink, before they were sued and had to change it. Damn I am feeling old now. My first blink show was 1995 at the Showcase theater in Corona. They were second to play on a 5 band bill, with Buck O Nine and Schleprock headlining. It was cool to be one of their fans from the beginning, seeing them go from that to one of the biggest bands in the world, also getting to work with them on many shows, doing shots with Mark before they took the stage, seeing Travis go from my friends band The Aquabats straight to Blink Nd making something like $16,000 for his firet gig playing a private birthday party in Utah. The bats were doing grad nights at Disneyland when he got the call from blink, he was gone the next night, just like that. Don't blame him. At every Aquabats show he always had a pair of drumsticks in his hand, always practicing. He was basically taking care of his nephew at that point, too. He was a really good guy. Most fun had to be when they were opening on the Madness tour, just before they hit big, before Dude Ranch came out, Scott was still with them, must've been right near the end of his duties.

Yeah, Travis kinda made the smart financial decision on that one. He should totally show up for an Aquabats show and bust out some Fury Of jams. Fuck.

Also: "Tom Doesn't Want To Be In Blink. It's Obvious."

2/19 - Less Than Jake @ House Of Blues
    4/16 - Ratatat @ House Of Blues
    4/30 - Inter Arma @ Soda Bar
    5/1 - Lightning Bolt @ The Chapel
    5/28 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ North Park Theatre
    9/28 - AC/DC @ Dodgers Stadium

This is seriously as big a band fight as you can get right now. Both sides seem to counter the other with such good comebacks; therefore I can't hold any negative feelings towards anyone

Funny, just relistened to Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch tonight all the way through for the first time in years upon years, honestly probably at least a decade. I still remember how to play every note of every song on those 2 albums. Cheshire was one of the first I learned to play along to when I started playing, all by ear. I know, it's simple music. Still cool to basically see my fingers on the fretboard playing those notes when I close my eyes. It's burned into my psyche. It was such fun music to play along to as a 17 year old. Luckily our neighbors were old and nearly deaf, haha. That whole mid 90's so cal punk/ska scene was an amazing time to be a kid discovering music. Then at 18 to be working for one of THE promoters in so cal, 98 Posse, that booked all those bands? It was life altering. That guy that ran 98 Posse? Now the producer of Coachella.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 01-28-2015 at 12:32 AM.

Dammit, Tom. You forgot about all the small things. Just stay together for the kids, who cares what your age is again and end this carousel. If not for the family reunion do it for Josie and her fans. I know your not feeling this, but I miss you. Oh never never mind, you know I'm lost without you. Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cock-sucker, Mother-fucker, tits, fart, turd, and twat.

3/25 Bjork @ City Center
    3/26 Demdike Stare/Rrose @ WPP Church
    3/27 Untold/Tessela @ Wick
    3/27 Mathew Jonson @ Output
    3/28 Bjork @ City Center
    3/28 Petre Inspirescu @ 315

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

3/25 Bjork @ City Center
    3/26 Demdike Stare/Rrose @ WPP Church
    3/27 Untold/Tessela @ Wick
    3/27 Mathew Jonson @ Output
    3/28 Bjork @ City Center
    3/28 Petre Inspirescu @ 315

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I once smoked out with Travis at the barn in Riverside...The IE was actually fun mid to late 90s
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Those of us who look amazing when naked just call it "everyday."
    connector in. receiver out. you let me in through the back door.

Cheshire Cat is the shit. Honestly I'd still be down with them if they didn't like grow up and shit and still did pee pee jokes in a Satan voice at their shows. Fucking Tom, man.

I once smoked out with Travis at the barn in Riverside...The IE was actually fun mid to late 90s
    That was our venue! So bummed when they wouldn't renew the lease. So many amazing memories at the Barn and with 98 Posse!

Still the greatest Blink song of all time
    Jay Electronica 2011

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Cheshire Cat is the shit. Honestly I'd still be down with them if they didn't like grow up and shit and still did pee pee jokes in a Satan voice at their shows. Fucking Tom, man.
    I agree with this, Tom is cursed with a voice that won't mature with age no matter what he tries to do ala Billy Corgan
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Those of us who look amazing when naked just call it "everyday."
    connector in. receiver out. you let me in through the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGoulet View Post

Still the greatest Blink song of all time
    I remember this was programmed into one of those AOL hacker/punter apps in the late 90's.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I agree with this, Tom is cursed with a voice that won't mature with age no matter what he tries to do ala Billy Corgan
    Good. He's not suppose to sound old

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    That was our venue! So bummed when they wouldn't renew the lease. So many amazing memories at the Barn and with 98 Posse!
    Ha. That place was pretty awesome.

Tom DeLonge you're such a tease