Thread: Grateful Dead's last shows (Chicago)

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Grateful Dead's last shows (Chicago)

Anyone going?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Default Re: Grateful Dead's last shows (Chicago)

I'm more than a little baffled that they're doing this in Chicago. Why not GGP?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Is been 20 years since their last show, which was held at Soldier Field
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Huh.

I would love to make it out for one of these, but realistically it ain't gonna happen.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i was interested in seeming them, but fuck any stadium show.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Their last show was 20 years in the same place that this will be held. That's probably why they chose Chicago over GGP.
    I'm not a huge fan, but I've been looking for something fun to do for the 4th within driving distance so I'm gonna lock myself in for this.

I'm in. They were a major part of my college years. Never been to Chicago either, so I'm stoked on the location. Plus the fact that Trey is playing with them is very exciting.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

I just sent out for 4 general admission for the pit area in front of the stage for Sunday night, their last show ever.

This might have already been discussed elsewhere on the board, but apparently Paul T and a couple other festivals had a bit of a bidding war to get them to play this year.

Competition to land the coveted booking was stiff, with such players as Goldenvoice's Paul Tollett and Live Nation mounting efforts to reunite the Dead at venues like the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio, Calif., the site of Coachella, and Bonnaroo (the latter, according to sources, offered the band $3 million for a headlining set -- and was rejected).
    http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...-anastasio-for

I'm not sure if it reads that Paul T would have booked them to actually play Coachella or maybe instead just play the Polo Fields at a different date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

sounds more like a different date to me.

good god, imagine the reaction if the Dead were headlining Coachella.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yeah, it sounds more like they were thinking more along the lines of something like the Phish weekend or the Big 4 shows
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

20 years since a Dead show? Lolwut. I saw the Dead (Phil, Bobby, Bill, & Mickey billed as the Dead) in 09. Apparently I missed something.

And as an enormous, unabashed Deadhead: Fuck this. One last cash-in. I'm certainly intrigued, but Bobby's been back on the sauce for a couple years and is pretty shitty these days. Jill is running things on Phil's end. Billy & Mickey are only back because their own shit has fizzled. Blech. Although I'm curious about the addition of Hornsby & Trey, it isn't enough to get me out there. The last good Dead show I saw was at Sweetwater in Mill Valley a couple years ago in a room the size of my garage. Closed out the night with Help > Slipknot > Franklin. For me, there is no beating that, especially not after laying down excellent versions of Doin' That Rag, Stagger Lee, Viola Lee, Speedway, Born Cross-Eyed & the Other One. I hope everyone has a great time in Chicago, looks like it will be a cool party if nothing else.
    Last edited by greghead; 01-27-2015 at 02:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    No Taj Mahal or Ry Cooder? Fuck this thread.

A ton of people have gotten rejection letters over the last few weeks. I've read that only 15-20% of the envelopes that were sent in would get tickets. Ticketmaster will be issuing the rest. I still haven't heard yet so I'm hoping my request for 4 Sunday night will be fulfilled.

Hippies rejoice!

Grateful Dead Set To Announce Two More Shows The Weekend Before Fare Thee Well

Information has just been sent to HYPE from a very-well connected source in the music industry, who would like to remain anonymous.

Rumor has it, The Grateful Dead will very soon be announcing two more shows the weekend before Fare Thee Well in Santa Clara. We at HYPE are kind of hoping Warren Haynes will join the band as their frontman for these shows.
    http://hypemusicfestivals.com/2015/0...are-thee-well/

5/4 ZZZ's @ Silent Barn
    5/6 Acid Mothers Temple @ KF
    5/7 T. Williams @ Output
    5/8 Muse @ Webster Hall
    5/8 Daniel Avery @ Output
    5/9 Sven Všth @ Space

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I was rejected. I then put money into 8 peoples accounts the day before the went on sale and got all of them and myself to try and get tickets. None of us pulled through and got any. I rather see them play with Warren anyways

Martin Scorsese Will Film the Grateful Dead’s 50th Anniversary Shows at Soldier Field

“Millions of stories have been told about the Grateful Dead over the years. With our 50th Anniversary coming up, we thought it might just be time to tell one ourselves and Amir is the perfect guy to help us do it. Needless to say, we are humbled to be collaborating with Martin Scorsese. From The Last Waltz to George Harrison: Living In The Material World, from Bob Dylan to the Rolling Stones, he has made some of the greatest music documentaries ever with some of our favorite artists and we are honored to have him involved. The 50th will be another monumental milestone to celebrate with our fans and we cannot wait to share this film with them.”

5/4 ZZZ's @ Silent Barn
    5/7 T. Williams @ Output
    5/8 Muse @ Webster Hall
    5/9 Sven Všth @ Space

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Santa Clara, California's Levi's Stadium on June 27 and 28

Dear Heads,
    Although none of us knew it when we walked off the stage at Soldier Field on July 9, 1995, the Grateful Dead's long strange trip ended in Chicago that night. As you are aware, twenty years later, we're returning to Chicago to properly say Fare Thee Well.
    But every good ending must start with a beginning. For us, it all began fifty years ago when we grabbed a bunch of instruments off the walls of a music store in Palo Alto California and began banging away on them in the back room, at night after the store had closed for the day.
    Since we made the decision to go back to Chicago to say our final goodbye, it has become clear to us that we first need to return to our beginnings, where we first said hello -- to each other and to all of you.
    And so it is that we have decided to plug in for two additional shows on June 27 and 28 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California -- just a dozen miles south of where Dana Morgan's Music Store once stood. At Levi's -- as at Soldier Field -- we will have the pleasure of being joined by Trey Anastasio, Bruce Hornsby and Jeff Chimenti.
    Ours wasn't just a long, strange trip -- it was a VERY long, VERY strange trip. We weren't sure what it was going to be like to put a punctuation mark on the end of it. None of us anticipated the overwhelming outpouring of love and interest following our initial announcement of the shows at Soldier Field, and we were blown away by the response.
    We have tried to do the right thing wherever we could for the Chicago shows by honoring the roots of where we came from, while dealing with the realities of the current times. But that's hardly comforting when you're shit outta luck for tickets and your only option is inflated prices on secondary ticketing websites. That would piss us off too.
    From the moment these shows were first talked about, we have been thinking about what we can do to honor the roots of our Deadhead experience, even in the face of changing technologies. (Remember: Ticketmaster didn't even go online until we got out of the game.) These shows were always intended as an expression of our gratitude, to both the music and the fans, so it's important that we get things as right as we can.
    We have always been proud of our in-house mail order ticketing process, and the phenomenal way our fans have built a tradition out of turning a standard envelope into a frame-worthy piece of art. Some 60,000 mail order tickets were issued for the Soldier Field shows by the good folks at Grateful Dead Ticket Sales -- yet we were still crushed to see how many of your beautifully designed envelopes did not get tickets.
    For shows of this magnitude, it's impossible to eliminate every scalper. However, we offer you this: Working with our partners, we are using an online ticketing platform for the Levi's shows that will help ensure that the tickets for these shows will get into the right hands, the hands of our true fans. We believe that this process is the best way to give each of you an equal opportunity to obtain tickets at the most affordable possible prices. We are proud to announce that 65,000 tickets per night will be available via the "online mail order" for the Levi's shows. For the nuts and bolts, go to Dead50.net.
    We will not be adding any more Fare Thee Well performances. The three Chicago shows will still be our final stand. We decided to add these two Santa Clara shows to enable more of our fans to celebrate with us one more time. But this is it.
    We love you guys more than words can tell, and hope to see you in the Bay Area or Chicago. If you can't make it to the shows, we are working on ways for you to still experience our Fare Thee Well, from wherever you might be. Stay tuned for those details.
    Gratefully yours,
    Billy, Bobby, Mickey & Phil
    --
    http://www.dead50.net/santa-clara/

5/4 ZZZ's @ Silent Barn
    5/7 T. Williams @ Output
    5/8 Muse @ Webster Hall
    5/9 Sven Všth @ Space

No Warren, still Trey. Putting in my requests.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    No Taj Mahal or Ry Cooder? Fuck this thread.

Wish I could go