Page 160 of 170 FirstFirst ... 155156157158159160161162163164165 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 5096

Thread: General Phoenix Area Shows

Default Re: General Phoenix Area Shows

Thanks for the info everyone. Should be a fun weekend, even with the heat, i'll just end up being browner than normal. I'll PM you next week Westcoastpirate and we can grab a beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    5/15 PsychoCA @Observatory - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/22 Dickslap w/DJ Alison Swing @Precinct - 5/27 Neutral Milk Hotel @Warner Theater - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    I concur. Hotel Congress upgraded all the rooms with AC units in 2013.
    Ah, that explains our ignorance. We haven't stayed there since, like, 2009-2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    I was informed yesterday that Devin came into existence when someone dared God to create a gayer, less intimidating Andy Milonakis.

All locals electronic music show this Friday at the Trunk Space (everything from chill trip hop to some harder techno/electro). Here is the event page where you can check out the bands: https://www.facebook.com/events/256061841262850/

Edit: Not sure if anyone made it out to this, but it was a pretty good turnout (as far as unknown local bands go) and we all had a great time getting some dancing in. I'm still surprised at some of the quality music that's happening right under our noses.
    Last edited by grind; 08-23-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Queens of the Stone Age
    Thursday, Oct. 30
    State Fair
    $20 reserved/free GA with fair admission
    3/14-Viva PHX
    4/8-Jessie Ware (Wiltern Theatre)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1
    4/22-Kacey Musgraves (Rialto Theatre)
    5/22-U2 (US Airways Center)
    5/23-U2 (US Airways Center)
    5/30-Will Butler (Crescent Ballroom)
    8/29-Slipknot w/Lamb of God (Ak-Chin Pavilion)
    9/25-Foo Fighters (Ak-Chin Pavilion)

Oh wow.
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Thursday, Oct. 30
    State Fair
    HOLY SHIT. YES!

Sturgill Simpson
    Nov. 18th
    Valley Bar

He first announced a show opening for The Zac Brown band at Ak-Chin Pavilion on Oct. 16th, I'm glad i'll be able to skip that now.
    Last edited by LickTheLizzard; 08-27-2014 at 10:47 PM.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Thursday, Oct. 30
    State Fair
    Oh hell to the fuck yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Shut it down.

Superhumanoids/Classixx this weekend. Who's going to which shows? Instead of doing Tucson/Phoenix, I'm doing Phoenix/Flagstaff. Ditching the Mexico family weekend (fuck those border lines on holiday weekends...ugh) and staying for the Flagstaff show after Phoenix since I have to work Friday morning. Hoping the 10 east won't be completely messed up by noon tomorrow heading that way.

Got an Airbnb in Phoenix in the "Coronado" area which is 2.4 miles from the venue. Staying with a hippy who offered me fresh eggs from the chickens he keeps in his backyard. I hope my dog doesn't kill his chickens.

Saturday during the day, checking out the dog park that Ivy recommended and going to find try to yelp something that will allow dogs on a patio. Then heading up in the afternoon to Flagstaff where I got a dog friendly hotel (nothing on Airbnb unfortunately) about 1 mile from the venue.

I'll be solo at both shows while the dogs stay in the room with the other half. If anyone wants to meet for a beer, lmk. Excited!
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    5/15 PsychoCA @Observatory - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/22 Dickslap w/DJ Alison Swing @Precinct - 5/27 Neutral Milk Hotel @Warner Theater - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

Jorge, the Coronado neighborhood is pretty cool, as is the downtown neighborhood right around the Crescent itself. 2.4 miles is not that much of a walk, but if you drive to the venue I suggest parking in the small lot by the “haunted house” (you’ll know what I mean when you see it). It’s where I almost always park for Crescent shows, and it’s free. It’s about a half block north of the venue on the same side (west) of 2nd Ave., and just north of the ASU parking lot. Sometimes you can park in the ASU lot with no problem (free) but sometimes ASU security hassles you, so I don’t bother parking there anymore. There’s free street parking too, but it’s pretty limited.

I’ll get to the Crescent a bit early for dinner (decent AZ-Mex food there) so I can be sure to get a wristband since it’s first come/first served. Not sure what to expect for this show – maybe a capacity crowd (as in something over 500) or maybe just a couple hundred. Even though it’s a holiday weekend I’m betting more rather than fewer so there may be somewhat of a line to get wristbands.

Really looking forward to this show, though I wish it was over-21 instead of over-18 (they'll have that damn divider up by the stage). I’m partial to female voices in dancey synthpop/dream pop bands, so I’m especially stoked for Superhumanoids and the Flavr Blue, though I’m sure all 4 bands will be fun. Enjoyed Classixx at Coachella, but this will be a better venue than the Mojave in the afternoon. In fact, the Crescent’s my favorite in town – intimate with a great sound system and lighting and good a/c and a super-friendly staff and always a chill crowd. Sometimes too chill, actually, so the people are reluctant to move, but the right acts can get a dance party going. I’m thinking this set of bands should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post

Got an Airbnb in Phoenix in the "Coronado" area which is 2.4 miles from the venue. Staying with a hippy who offered me fresh eggs from the chickens he keeps in his backyard. I hope my dog doesn't kill his chickens.
    Is his name Jeff? 14th/13th and Granada?

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Superhumanoids/Classixx this weekend. Who's going to which shows? Instead of doing Tucson/Phoenix, I'm doing Phoenix/Flagstaff. Ditching the Mexico family weekend (fuck those border lines on holiday weekends...ugh) and staying for the Flagstaff show after Phoenix since I have to work Friday morning. Hoping the 10 east won't be completely messed up by noon tomorrow heading that way.

Saturday during the day, checking out the dog park that Ivy recommended and going to find try to yelp something that will allow dogs on a patio. Then heading up in the afternoon to Flagstaff where I got a dog friendly hotel (nothing on Airbnb unfortunately) about 1 mile from the venue.

I'll be solo at both shows while the dogs stay in the room with the other half. If anyone wants to meet for a beer, lmk. Excited!
    You will be at least a 20 minute drive from the dog park in Ahwatukee if you are staying in Coronado. And going to I-10 and Pecos is the opposite direction from Flagstaff. There's a closer dog park at the park at 3rd St and Indian School which is only a few miles from Coronado. I also think the patio at the Main Ingredient allows dogs, but I'm not completely sure. And the Main Ingredient is in the Coronado district.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Is his name Jeff? 14th/13th and Granada?
    Dudes name is Sky and he's near 7th. Looks like just a few blocks from the Main Ingredient. Score!

Crescent is legit! There was a huge line to get in but everyone eventually got in. Drinking on the patio.

Cool. That's a great location. I guess urban chicken farming is a thing now in PHX.

---headed to Rudimental tonight at the Monarch. HADES gets a $4.00 discount online.
    Last edited by Timestretch; 08-31-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Awesome about QOTSA. $20 ain't nuthin', although I suppose it comes with the irritation of having to get into the venue.

Also, and I realize this is a Tucson show, but Cat Power is playing the Rialto at the end of September (the day before Summers End Festival) so I have to make it down to see her. Missed out on the chance in 2006 when my friend reasoned that I could just see her at Coachella, but then she was in the Mojave at night with Carl Cox's bass booming over from the Sahara, making it impossible to enjoy her. She cancelled the subsequent 2 opportunities I had -- Phoenix 2008, Coachella 2013 -- but she seems to have her shit together now and isn't cancelling shows at Morrissey-levels anymore as far as I can tell.
    I was informed yesterday that Devin came into existence when someone dared God to create a gayer, less intimidating Andy Milonakis.

Goddammit. Do I need to make a Rick's Obnoxious Observations thread, or what? I get excited every fucking time.

Yes, you do, Dylan. I'd discuss the last show I was at, but it was in Canada, so not really pertinent to this thread. (At least the Cat Power one is in the state, and somebody could feasibly also be attending and we could meet up should we both be so inclined.)

BTW, reserved seating for QOTSA (well, and any other band you might want to see at the Fair) goes on sale 9/13. I just hope it isn't like the Bob Dylan show in 2009, where mountmccabe damn near came to blows with some cantankerous septuagenarians who were upset that he, among several other people, was standing up at a concert.

For those planning on going to QOTSA, you can save a few bucks by buying your fair ticket now on their website (www.azstatefair.com) for $6. Think I'm going to try to make both QOTSA and JEW happen that night. I figure QOTSA should be done by 8:15 which should give me enough time to make it to the Marquee before JEW hits the stage.
    3/14-Viva PHX
    4/8-Jessie Ware (Wiltern Theatre)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1
    4/22-Kacey Musgraves (Rialto Theatre)
    5/22-U2 (US Airways Center)
    5/23-U2 (US Airways Center)
    5/30-Will Butler (Crescent Ballroom)
    8/29-Slipknot w/Lamb of God (Ak-Chin Pavilion)
    9/25-Foo Fighters (Ak-Chin Pavilion)

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I just hope it isn't like the Bob Dylan show in 2009, where mountmccabe damn near came to blows with some cantankerous septuagenarians who were upset that he, among several other people, was standing up at a concert.

and this month i look forward to the breeders, brian pohsen, and the phoenix symphony's louis armstrong tribute
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Fuck, we'll be out of town.

Courtney Barnett
    11.05.14 - The Crescent Ballroom - Phoenix, AZ
    Devin - how does it feel to know that there are still more women in the world that would fuck me at this very moment than would fuck you?

Yay I'm glad I unblocked that one! COURTNEY BARNETT.
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    Ha! I'm pretty sure I saw this episode a couple weekends ago. Seen so much "Simpsons" in so short an amount of time, it's hard for me to remember which ones exactly I've seen.

I did, however, record the one with Steve Martin as the Trash Commissioner Homer gets into a war with specifically to watch the following scene:

Marge Homer, that crazy lady who lives in our trash pile attacked me again.
    Homer That's not the way she tells it.

I had to rewind the episode when it was over just to watch that exchange again.

Awesome about QOTSA. $20 ain't nuthin', although I suppose it comes with the irritation of having to get into the venue.

Also, and I realize this is a Tucson show, but Cat Power is playing the Rialto at the end of September (the day before Summers End Festival) so I have to make it down to see her. Missed out on the chance in 2006 when my friend reasoned that I could just see her at Coachella, but then she was in the Mojave at night with Carl Cox's bass booming over from the Sahara, making it impossible to enjoy her. She cancelled the subsequent 2 opportunities I had -- Phoenix 2008, Coachella 2013 -- but she seems to have her shit together now and isn't cancelling shows at Morrissey-levels anymore as far as I can tell.
    Pretty sure Cat Power did not cancel her 2008 show since I was there at the Marquee when she played.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Pretty sure Cat Power did not cancel her 2008 show since I was there at the Marquee when she played.
    Uh, what? mountmccabe showed up and said they were turning people away because she'd cancelled. I remember because I was living in Tucson at the time and had driven up with mob roulette specifically for the show, and we ended up going to a free MGMT show at Tempe Marketplace instead.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Fuck, we'll be out of town.

Courtney Barnett
    11.05.14 - The Crescent Ballroom - Phoenix, AZ
    pretty affordable and i am liking what i am hearing on spotify. i think i will buy a ticket when they go onsale friday what do we know about san fermin? do they play together a lot or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

San Fermin is great. Saw them at SX last year and it was a lot of fun. Large band with horns and just a ton of people on stage having a good time.

Uh, what? mountmccabe showed up and said they were turning people away because she'd cancelled. I remember because I was living in Tucson at the time and had driven up with mob roulette specifically for the show, and we ended up going to a free MGMT show at Tempe Marketplace instead.
    I saw her in October 2008, but it looks like the April 2008 show was canceled. Anyways, here's a slide show from the October 2008 concert from the New Times. I agree with the picture captions.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/slide...arquee-159283/

I have a question about Comerica Theater. How big is the pit. I have Arctic Monkeys tickets and am wondering how early I should get there for a good spot.