Thread: Viva Phoenix 2016

Default Viva Phoenix 2016

Who's going? :-)

I'd already planned to hit up the Ren Faire this weekend, and came across this and the McDowell Mountain fest occurring the same weekend. I'm definitely hitting this one up for Crystal Castles as I'd like to see how bad Alice Glass leaving hurt the band. Neon Indian will be fun to catch live as well.

http://www.vivaphx.com/

viva.jpg
    7/22 OMD, Howard Jones
    7/29 Duran Duran
    7/30 Rob Zombie
    8/27-28 FYF Fest
    9/16-18 KAABOO
    9/23-25 Life is Beautiful
    10/8 Cyndi Lauper
    10/21 Pet Shop Boys

Default Re: Viva Phoenix 2016

This is an excellent event, and an unbeatable value. They are still adding 15 bands to the lineup at some point.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Whoa, Alice Glass left? Wasn't it just a duo with her comprising the female half?

Purchased our tickets at Stinkweeds on Monday. Just $20/each (cash only), though not sure if that price is still in effect. I wasn't sold on the lineup at first but then I remembered the terrific discoveries of 2:54 and the Twilight Sad last year, plus the addition of Sander Kleinenberg (who put on one of my favorite performances of the year), and no further hesitation was needed.
    Last edited by Somewhat Damaged; 02-05-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    "I assume you guys aren't familiar with all of the shit on this lineup but if you listened to shit radio stations you would be."

I just bought tickets for me and my kids.
    it's summer, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Whoa, Alice Glass left? Wasn't it just a duo with her comprising the female half?
    Yeah. But the group's notoriety came from Alice, since she was the one downing bottles of Jack and crowd surfing with broken limbs, so I wonder how this incarnation of Crystal Castles will fare. And if fans will still care or will they just go with whatever Alice does solo.
    6/26 Sunflower Bean @ Constellation Room, 7/3 Telecaves @ Non Plus Ultra, 7/7 Mitski @ The Echo, 7/22 Weird Al @ Hollywood Bowl, 7/28 Tokimonsta @ Hammer Museum, 8/3 Marissa Nadler @ The Echo, 8/4 Radiohead @ Shrine Auditorium, 8/7 Sufjan Stevens @ Hollywood Bowl, 8/27-28 FYF Fest, 9/24 Music Tastes Good, 9/25 Lush @ Fonda

They are selling "fast passes" for $46 @ Stinkweeds that guarantee access to every venue. I know there were a few sets I missed out on last year because of capacity crowds. I wouldn't be willing to buy one of these until I saw full set times though.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post

Purchased our tickets at Stinkweeds on Monday. Just $20/each (cash only), though not sure if that price is still in effect. I wasn't sold on the lineup at first but then I remembered the terrific discoveries of 2:54 and the Twilight Sad last year, plus the addition of Sander Kleinenberg (who put on one of my favorite performances of the year), and no further hesitation was needed.
    Yeah, 2:54 was a terrific discovery last year for me, too. Odd little spot they played in late (Latino Arts and Cultural Center) that really wasn't intended as a live music venue ('course neither is the Masonic Temple -- it was interesting, and weird, to dance on carpeting there last year to Bogan Via).

Not a fan of the large Cityplace area for live music, either, but that's where both Neon Indian and Crystal Castles are scheduled to play this year, so I'll be there anyway. Curious, as others, what an Alice-less Crystal Castles sounds like. Someone named Edith Frances has taken her place.

Expect this year's Viva PHX to be a blast, as last year's and 2014's were. And for $20. Very glad we've got Charles Levy around, you know?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i loved the LACC both years, but it is a bit far and an odd venue. the first year they were just giving away alcohol, i see they cut that out last year.

i am excited. $19 ain't bad. and i always seem to discover something! plus, biz markie singalong! a

also planning two musical festivals downtown seems fucking retarded. why, why, why!?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

this looks tight!!!
    Coachella Weekend 1 & 2

Sage Francis added! Hope he doesn't conflict with crystal castles or neon indian!!!

7:00 LA Takedown (Crescent)
    8:00 Astronauts Etc (Valley Bar)
    9:30 Neon Indian (Cityscape)
    10:45 Crystal Castles (Cityscape)
    12:00 Xixa (Last Exit)
    1:00 Skream (Monarch, upstairs)

Love running around downtown on a Saturday night for this. Fair number of conflicts, but here’s the schedule we settled on. Mellow and spacey to start, movin’ our feet second half of the night. Hoping Skream’s techno/house and not dubstep or we’re home a little early.

Here is my tentative schedule:

7:00 PM EL TEN ELEVEN (Cityscape)
    8:00 PM TOBIE MILFORD (Grace Chapel)
    9:30 PM NEON INDIAN (Cityscape)
    10:00 PM PLAYBOY MANBABY (Punk Rock Alley)
    11:00 PM POSSESSED BY PAUL JAMES (Grace Chapel)

After that I may try and check out Punk Rock Karaoke at Crescent. I'm not sure if Playboy Manbaby will be possible because of the conflict with Neon Indian, but their set in Punk Rock Alley last year was the highlight of the night. I'm also interested in seeing Chuck Ragan and The Growlers, so I will have to play it by ear. I may try to end the night at Monarch, but the line was too long last year.

Wanted to start out with El Ten Eleven myself, but didn't want to then end up spending most of the evening at Cityscape. Hope I'm not making a mistake - I really dig El Ten Eleven's sound. Probly park over by the Crescent to start, anyway.

Was able to get into the smallish upstairs area (Ivory Room) of the Monarch last year after midnight some time (after 2:54's excellent 11pm set at ALAC) to catch a Dutch house DJ for a while, but the main room downstairs had a line/looked way crowded (as did Bar Smith right next door). On the schedule for the Ivory Room it says "First 75 wristbands admitted" so maybe it'll be more difficult this year. Plus, Skream is listed elsewhere as the headliner for the "Official Viva PHX Afterparty at the Monarch" (with a separate ticket) from 10pm-3am, so I'm not sure what the deal really is (maybe he'll just move upstairs at 1). It's a half-mile from Cityscape to Last Exit, a little more than that back to Monarch, and about the same back to the Crescent, so we'll get a bit of (fast) walking in, at least.

Anyway, you spot a goofy white-haired old dude with a nice-looking redhead at Neon Indian, that's probably me.

7:00 PM - EL TEN ELEVEN
    8:00 PM - LUVR
    9:00 PM - XYL
    9:40 PM - SAGE FRANCIS
    10:00 PM - THIS WILL DESTROY YOU
    10:45 PM - CRYSTAL CASTLES
    11:30 PM - AFRIKA BAMBAATAA
    1:00 AM - SKREAM

7 Flor
    8 From Indian Lakes
    9 Xylo or Kitten
    10 Eleanor Friedberger
    11 Sam Outlaw

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

it's gonna be a mad dash from biz markie to blunt club (monarch) for bambaataa!!!

i still have to do my annual review of the artists. still don't have a pick for early in the night, but i am sure i will find something

my schedule thus far:

9:40 sage francis - 2nd ave @ crescent ballroom
    10:30 biz markie - 2nd ave @ crescent ballroom
    11:30 afrika bambaataa - monarch stage
    after that, all things blunt club takeover
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

made a classfinder with stages by map number.

http://clashfinder.com/s/vivaphoenix/
    Coachella Weekend 1 & 2

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyB View Post
    made a classfinder with stages by map number.

http://clashfinder.com/s/vivaphoenix/
    Perfect! The way they list them is a mess.

edit* it seems to be set to private
    Last edited by LickTheLizzard; 03-08-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    still don't have a pick for early in the night, but i am sure i will find something

El Ten Eleven are amazing and should be on everyone's list!

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    Perfect! The way they list them is a mess.

edit* it seems to be set to private
    try now
    Coachella Weekend 1 & 2

Looking like:

7:00 - El Ten Eleven
    8:00 - Astronauts Etc.
    9:00 - XYL
    9:45 - Sage Francis OR Rocket from the Crypt
    10:45 - Crystal Castles
    11:30 - Afrika Bambaataa
    1:00 - Skream

I feel like I saw El Ten Eleven at a bar I used to work at in Tucson back in 2007. Would have to confer with my spreadsheet to verify. They didn't make an impression then but their newest album has me intrigued to check them out. fetuspiniata's enthusiastic endorsement is encouraging. (How's that for alliteration?)

Astronauts Etc. reminds me of Rhye, so I'm really looking forward to seeing them. They even have a live EP available to listen to on Spotify if you're not sure what to check out at that time.

How big are XYL? We got into the Crescent pretty early for YACHT a couple years ago (early enough to get a seat on the top row of the rafters) before the place got packed but didn't go in at all last year. Does anyone have an opinion on whether they're going to draw a huge crowd?

Not sure on Sage Francis vs. Rocket from the Crypt. Will have friends at both. If memory serves, the 2nd Ave Stage can get fucking *crowded* for the hip-hop acts, so Rocket from the Crypt may be preferable. Game time decision.

I feel like it's going to be a hassle getting into the Monarch very close to Afrika Bambaataa's start time so I may forego Crystal Castles altogether. At the very least, we may just catch a small portion of their set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    "I assume you guys aren't familiar with all of the shit on this lineup but if you listened to shit radio stations you would be."

What's "pretty early" for YACHT? I'm a little worried about XYLO, too. They don't seem to be blowing up online and only have the ep, but they seem like a stand out.

Going to be doing some bouncing around and partial sets.

7:00 El Ten Eleven
    8:00 ??? Perhaps Astronauts Etc.
    9:30 Neon Indian
    10:00 This Will Destroy You
    10:45 Crystal Castles
    12:00 ??? I Suppose Sean Watson to hopefully be in place for...
    1:00 Skream

Plenty of room for xylo

El Ten Eleven was quite good, but the crowd was way too talky wherever we moved (crowd wasn't packed except closer to the stage). Astronauts were excellent, fun and laid-back nu disco/lounge rock sound. Fairly large but not packed Valley Bar crowd was chill and into the music the whole set, so that was cool. The bit of Roar we heard afterward in Punk Rock Alley was enjoyable, too; small, friendly crowd. Neon Indian was excellent, and more of a dance party, the large crowd ok. Crystal Castles' set was even better, the music the best of the evening for us, but the crowd sucked ass. Way too packed, with no space to move, even a ways back from the stage in the middle, and groups of people constantly shoving through about as hard and rude as it gets right to the end of the set. Crystal Castles deserved to be the headliner, but fuck that extraordinarily-shitty crowd, really took away from the set (much as I tried to not let it bother me). Xixa at Last Exit was much more enjoyable, though I'm not nearly as into their rock/cumbia combo sound as Crystal Castles' excellent darkwave/synthpop. Couldn't get into the Monarch late without coughing up an extra $15 each, so we bailed around 1am. Overall great time on a beautiful night downtown.

Here is what I ended up doing:

Second half of El Ten Eleven (meh) > Tobie Milford (decent) > First half of ROAR (good, but sound issues) > First half of Neon Indian (fantastic) > Playboy Manbaby (This is truly their festival) > partial set of The Growlers (love the records, but they are boring live) > Sam Outlaw (really really good) > Punk Rock Karaoke (So much goddamn fun)

My only suggestion for improvement is that they need to make more venues open after midnight. As soon as the outdoor stages finished, there were lines around the block for any venues that were still open. I had such an incredible time, this is such an excellent way to showcase Downtown Phoenix.