Page 1 of 46 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There A God?

Default Is There A God?

This is a question that is always very important to people in many different ways. A question I have been asking myself and others since I was five, and new perspectives on it are always important to the evolution of my own outlook. From taking it upon myself to study philosophy while I was still in middle/high school to studying a wide range of different beliefs systems from multiple perspectives in collage, I have come up with well-tested possibilities to the answer of this question, but before I post anything further I want to see what you think, so... Is there a god? And more importantly, what makes you believe what you do.

Young blood

Default Re: Is There A God?

Psilocybin and the force.

Yes, there is a God.

Did you need something?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    well-tested possibilities
    I can't wait to hear about these.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I am skeptical of your sincerity here, Mr. Swan.

I believe there are beings that exist we might consider gods from our limited human perspective, such as the Sumerian experience with the Anunnaki.

As to an all powerful creative force or deity, yeah probably.

San Jose California Dont Ever Fucking Come Here

yes there is, and hes riding a space ship up hale-bopps ass as we speak
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    ...Fuck You Klein

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Descartes proved there's something--call it God if you want, he did, and then went on to ruin his rather perfect argument for its existence by talking specifically about Christianity afterwards--somewhere in Meditations. Basic summation: man cannot conceive of anything which he has not experienced. We have imagination but cannot imagine anything beyond that we we have "known" through our senses one way or another. The philosophical terminology is a priori knowledge. We can imagine a unicorn, but all that we're really doing is combining a horse and a horn, both of which we have to have sensed already. And so therefore the fact that man conceived of there being another plane to reality beyond our five senses (Descartes made the mistake of specifying his argument to qualities of Jehovah being omniscient, omnipresent, etc., a mistake which can be removed from the argument to strengthen its validity) means that there must be some truth to it.

Personally I don't see how, from a logical standpoint, that basic precept can be argued with. But I was thinking about it more deeply recently while watching Bill Maher rail yet again against religion. Here's what really happens: there is some other level to existence that we can't perceive with our five senses. Call it God, Yahweh, whatever. Putting specific qualities to it only weakens the argument and distracts the point. You combine this with cognitive dissonance--man's brain is almost incapable of not holding an opinion one way or the other about most any issue it encounters. It is part of our capability (or illusion of capability) for ration. If we perceive a situation, a choice, a question, we are compelled to take some kind of a stance on it 99 percent of the time and usually formulate a rationale to justify whatever we decide to believe after the fact.

Since the dawn of society there have been attempts to explain whatever "God" is. Because it's so far beyond our comprehension, the subject naturally lends itself to any whacked out theory that provides the appearance of answers taking hold in people's minds. It's not particularly different than political standpoints from where I'm sitting. People decide to go along with a belief system to help their brains feel comfortable that they're in control and aware and right in their perception of the world, regardless of whether or not they truly grasp any of it.

If there was no God, there would be no such concept. The trick is learning to stop thinking of God as having qualities like a creator, or a force outside of ourselves, or being sentient.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

All that groks is God, in other words.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I like to read John Shelby Spong. He is fairly widely disliked by both the religious and the non-religious which in my mind is a clue that he's on the right track.

First let me say that I consider atheism a profound religious point of view that ought to be honored. The atheist is not saying there is no God for nobody can finally make that statement. What the atheist is saying is that there is no God like the one I have grown up with – that God is not capable of being God for me. The word atheist means literally “no theist.” Theism is the overwhelmingly human definition of God perpetrated largely in the western world by the Judeo-Christian faith tradition. Theism defines God as a being, sometimes called the Supreme Being, supernatural in power, dwelling somewhere external to the world and periodically invading the world to split the Red Sea, to impose the divine will, to bless or to punish or to answer prayers. This definition of God has been largely destroyed by the intellectual revolution that began in the 16th century with Copernicus and continues in our day with discoveries of DNA, the dimensions of space and so many other things. The theistic God is now largely unemployed for everything that we once thought God did, is now explained with no reference to God at all – Tsunamis, hurricanes, sickness, death, etc. So if atheism means, “I do not believe in a theistic God,” it is a religious statement and you have much company in the modern world. Some in this company are conscious that is who they are, while others are largely unconscious of the fact that they have made that decision. They simply act it out.

If your claim of atheism means that you know all there is to know about God and the world and have decided that there is no room in the universe for God understood in any manner, then you are as closed-minded as the most rabid fundamentalist.

Well... now that we have enough bad philosophy to satiate a sorority girl... can we close this thread?

Bad philosophy? Bite your words, motherfucker. Descartes is one of two philosophers in existence to actually state a hypothesis that can't be disproven, and Hume doesn't really count.

QED

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I am skeptical of your sincerity here, Mr. Swan.
    What exactly are you implying here?

Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post
    What make you believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    The trick is learning to stop thinking of God as having qualities like a creator, or a force outside of ourselves, or being sentient.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I can't wait to hear about these.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Well... now that we have enough bad philosophy to satiate a sorority girl... can we close this thread?
    Yes, I am aware being a condescending ass is much easier than having an actual discussion. Congrats.

I prefer basic Buddhism over Atheism as it seems less pretentious to me.

I have been looking for a Western culture based equivalent of Buddhism. It bugs the shit out of me to see Westerners trying to dress and behave like Tibetans in an effort to be more spiritual or religious. I feel modern Americans could benefit from a belief system that speaks to our cultural experience, specifically in reference to technology and pop culture.

What exactly are you implying here?

I like to read John Shelby Spong. He is fairly widely disliked by both the religious and the non-religious which in my mind is a clue that he's on the right track.
    I like that guys point of view. I don't acknowledge that there can be a belief or disbelief in a God.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i definitely think it's plausible; however i don't know what "proof" would lead me to say with certainty that there is in fact a "god".

i also would need to know what the term "god" defines, are we talking about a single being like a human, or more of an omnipotent energy? are we talking about an entity that could be made up of multiple beings, or "gods"? is this energy/being THE creator of the universe? has he always been and always will be or is this god just another in a long line of gods? are we talking about some sort of patriarichal punisher, keeping track of our day to day lives? if there is a god, must there be some force to counter-act that? or because god is everything, there are no forces to counter-act as god encompasses all forces"

i guess for me, i believe there's some sort of power or energy greater than us to an extent, but again, i can't really prove that so i won't fight anyone to the death over that belief. i believe this energy is kinda like the blanket in i <3 huckabees and that we're all a part of it, and also that the energy really never fully "dies". so i do believe parts of our being stay on this earth long after we're buried, though to what extent again, i don't know.

i also don't feel like our knowledge of such an entity has any real bearing on our day-to-day lives. i don't think of life as some grand test where i'm trying to prove myself to something outside of myself, as i feel i am the only true judge of MY character.

i'm definitely fascinated by the discussion of god, and that some so adamently stick to their own beliefs, to the point of death, but for me i can't even define what proof i would need to believe in a god in the traditional sense, so i'm still on the fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by higgybaby23

BlackSwan: What make you believe that.

The beauty of nature and also the extremely strange, wonderful coincidences that have occured in my life. Other than that, it's just a hunch.

It's a really cheesy answer, I know.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

It bugs the shit out of me to see Westerners trying to dress and behave like Tibetans in an effort to be more spiritual or religious.
    What are you talking about?

Hey. Let's see what a joke magician has to say about all of this.

I watched this the other day and thought it was a pretty harsh way to frame the question. I'm curious what other people think though.

I have been looking for a Western culture based equivalent of Buddhism. It bugs the shit out of me to see Westerners trying to dress and behave like Tibetans in an effort to be more spiritual or religious. I feel modern Americans could benefit from a belief system that speaks to our cultural experience, specifically in reference to technology and pop culture.
    The worth and validity of a specific philosophical perspective has very little, if nothing to do with it's marketability. You may want to look into philosophies rather than religious beliefs, and see where that takes you.

Ackbar? I thought that was Xenu for a second.

Full disclosure: I am not religious, but also not an athiest.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Hey. Let's see what a joke magician has to say about all of this.

I watched this the other day and thought it was a pretty harsh way to frame the question. I'm curious what other people think though.
    Harsh yes. I like it though and it makes a good attempt at defining the differences between Atheist, Theist and Agnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    What are you talking about?
    I was just referencing all the New Agers here in AZ(and spread throughout the southwest) that try to adopt all the traits of eastern belief systems, including their dress and language. I identify with the general Buddhist dogma, but feel it's absurd to take on the pomp and circumstance often associated with it.

Some white guy chanting "Om Mani Padme Om" just rubs me the wrong way.

Humming the theme song to the Dukes Of Hazard speaks more to my sense of spirituality than an ancient, foreign ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i also would need to know what the term "god" defines, are we talking about a single being like a human, or more of an omnipotent energy? are we talking about an entity that could be made up of multiple beings, or "gods"? is this energy/being THE creator of the universe? has he always been and always will be or is this god just another in a long line of gods? are we talking about some sort of patriarichal punisher, keeping track of our day to day lives? if there is a god, must there be some force to counter-act that? or because god is everything, there are no forces to counter-act as god encompasses all forces"
    That is why I kept the question so open. Many people disagree over what god even is, or means. I like where you are going when you get away from god actually being an entity though. People seem to get scared away from the concept of god because it immediately conjures up the idea of a god as a white man in the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i also don't feel like our knowledge of such an entity has any real bearing on our day-to-day lives. i don't think of life as some grand test where i'm trying to prove myself to something outside of myself, as i feel i am the only true judge of MY character.
    This is one mental fight against this discussion that drives me crazy. I guess in the end I am not really just asking about god, but the mystery of our existence. I don't understand how people don't find that question to of the utmost importance. Even if you believe we may never be able to know the truth.

I believe I did a poll a while back.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

Okay, I get that we have limited senses and experience of reality, and that it's therefore theoretically possible that there's something going about it's business outside the fishbowl that's totally unfathomable to our hot, sexy monkey brains.

What I don't get, is why this train of thought always seems to come along with the automatic assumption that there actually is something out there.

Anyway, chalk me up for a cheerful no on this one.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

BlackSwan, i don't doubt the importance of the existence of god & and the big "why are we here" question, but how would such knowledge change your day-to-day life?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

The worth and validity of a specific philosophical perspective has very little, if nothing to do with it's marketability. You may want to look into philosophies rather than religious beliefs, and see where that takes you.
    I yearn for group spiritual experiences(like Coachella). That is why it seems a new religion would suit me more than a philosophy. I am constantly reinventing and updating my personal philosophy, so that isn't a concern.

Maybe I will start the religion I seek. Hell, it worked for Joseph Smith.