Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Default Re: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Tonight I had the privilege of seeing Body/Head, Kim Gordon and Bill Nace's new noise project. I sit here a few hours later, still completely blown away. This group is Kim taking her noisiest tendencies and really running with it. The crowd at Dilettante absolutely ate it up...a concise 45-minute set that felt much, much longer.

It started off pretty melodic - subtle guitar from both Gordon and Nace, with vocals that sounded like what you might imagine a Kim side project sounding like if it were a typical band with drums, bass, etc. But it didn't take long for things to come unhinged, and in the most wonderful way possible.

In the course of the 45-minute set, I think they only played 4 or 5 songs. Each one had equal moments of drone, noise, and overall wonder. This is the first time I've seen someone manipulate the pickup of a guitar to create tones of noisy feedback. That part especially was fantastic.

I've heard a few of Nace's recordings before, and was already a fan, but it was the noise set he performed with Thurston at ATP '10 that really won me over. This was the most ATP-like local show I've seen - very little barrier between the performers and the crowd, and everything just seemed to be in unison.

Do not miss this when it comes to town. They're playing in San Francisco on Tuesday. Some serious, serious potential between these two.
    5/01 - Sleater-Kinney - Palladium
    5/03 - Lightning Bolt/Liturgy - Echoplex
    5/05 - Thee Oh Sees - The Smell
    5/08 - The Acid - El Rey (?)
    5/14 - Melody's Echo Chamber - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Default Re: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Damn. I wish that wasn't on the same night as Rangda. That said, they blew me away. Chris Corsano is amazing on the kit; just like seeing Nace tonight reminded TallChris of ATP, seeing Corsano on the drums reminded me heavily of Hopscotch. I think what he does is some of the best musicianship I've ever seen. Maybe some of the coolest stuff I've ever seen period, and that's not just counting music. Obviously Sir Richard Bishop and Ben Chasny were excellent as well, and a lot of the times the two were so in step that you could conceivably believe it was one person playing one instrument; lots of intertwining parts. The show had a fair number of astonishing noisy jams and I'm really glad I got to see it. The recorded material clicks a lot more with me now also after this.

Sometimes I feel like LA really lacks this kind of music, but I'm glad it delivered tonight. Big time.

Oh, and they're playing in SF tomorrow (the 23rd) and Sacramento Sunday (the 24th). Highly highly recommended.