Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About The 2016 Lineup

Lightbulb Tell Us About The 2016 Lineup

Anyone interested in helping out with this thread this year? I always found them useful for easy research purposes. I'll try my best to keep the list updated.

If you want to contribute, make sure to post a small easy write-up of the band and include one youtube video and some more hyperlinks if you want, that way it's easier for others to load pages.

2manyDJ's - Post #2
    Alvvays - Post #31
    BadBadNotGood - Post #23
    Chris Stapleton - Post #10
    Deafheaven - Post #13
    Ex Hex - Post #15
    Gogo Penguin - Post #11
    Ice Cube - Post #17
    John Digweed - Post #16
    Lush - Post #1
    Meg Myers - Post #6
    Sasha - Post #16
    Shamir - Post #18
    The Vandals - Post #33
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Post #30
    Wolf Alice - Post #24

Lush
    Lush are an English alternative rock band, formed in 1987, disbanded in 1998, and reunited in 2015. Generally grouped in the shoegazing category, Robin Guthrie of the Cocteau Twins worked with them in the production of their first album Spooky, over the course of the next two albums they shifted towards a more straight-up rock/pop style leaving the classic "shoegaze" sound and were acquiring media attention until the suicide of their drummer in 1996, after which the band decided to disband.
    The current lineup consists of Miki Berenyi (vocals, guitar), Emma Anderson (vocals, guitar), Phil King (bass) and Justin Welch (drums).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvhc2gRBM4
    Last edited by Mr.Trent; 01-11-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2016 Lineup

2manyDJ's

Made up of the Dewaele brothers who also perform in Soulwax. More recently they worked with James Murphy on their side project, Despacio, also supposed to be at Coachella "all weekend long" which hopefully will get a post about itself. Listed on the website as a live act, which will be a true treat. Live shows entail several remixes of classics while pairing them with manipulated visuals of the cover art. You can hear many of their mixes with their Radio Soulwax app and their under the covers mixes. If you are looking for a great audio/visual experience, look no further. Going to be a great set after dark on Friday. Not your average "EDM" act by any means. One act that should not be missed if you have yet to see their show.

Probably one of my favorites. Crappy video from 2009, but had to include it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDWjzGavRg

full set from 2011

Under the covers volume 3 full

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlXOW10ewKA

That should get you started. Feel free to add to it.
    Last edited by bemerritt; 01-05-2016 at 11:30 AM.

I was just searching for this thread to see if it needed to get made this year, so thanks for doing so! I'll try and do a few today.

One suggestion, though, is to limit embedded YouTube videos to one per post, as this thread takes forever to load when each post has a lot of them. Maybe embed one and hyperlink the others?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    poor spook poop

Update yo shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

1 video it is

Meg Myers

If you're a fan of '90s angst-driven female singers, this is right up your alley. Think Alanis Morissette and Fiona Apple in a Nine Inch Nails coating. Her album that dropped at the end of the year is really good. The below video is from her Lollapalooza performance of her most well-known song. I'd also recommend checking out "Sorry," "Motel" and "Make a Shadow." Great live performer, I think she sounds better live than on her record. TONS of stage presence. By the end of her set, I always hear someone go "Wow, this chick is fucking insane. I love her!"

Bay Area raised / LA livin. Work in sports, freelance about music for GrimyGoods. Shows I've seen

COACHELLAS: '14 W2 / '15 W1 W2

Upcoming shows:
    5/13-5/15 Shaky Knees Fest
    5/20-5/22 Hangout Fest
    5/27-5/30 Sasquatch
    6/3-6/5 Governors Ball
    6/9-6/12 Bonnaroo
    6/16-6/19 Firefly

This thread is always a great idea every year but I feel like it should be in the Lineup subforum, not the misc. music lounge.

I thought so as well last year and put it there then was alerted that the idiots take it over, which they did. Someone started a new one that the idiots also took over and got barely any use after February.

Can people who know small bands do them? I don't recognize half the names on the lineup

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    I thought so as well last year and put it there then was alerted that the idiots take it over, which they did. Someone started a new one that the idiots also took over and got barely any use after February.
    That's a danger to be sure, but it might not get used as much in this subforum. There's nothing stopping the idiots from invading here either.

Chris Stapleton

Chris Stapleton performs a traditionalist strain of country music that's influenced by southern rock, bluegrass, and soul. He released his debut album, Traveller to critical acclaim last spring. The album was recorded with a live band by producer Dave Cobb, who has also worked on well-received traditionalist country albums by Jason Isbell and Sturgill Simpson in recent years. Prior to the album's release, Chris spent several years toiling as a songwriter in the Nashville machine while he also worked odd jobs and fronted various bands.

Chris had a big breakthrough moment last November when he won a number of awards at the annual County Music Awards including best new artist and album of the year and gave an instantly memorable, electrifying performance with Justin Timberlake:

Following the CMA ceremony, Traveller hit #1 on the Billboard 200, and Chris seems to have broken through to mainstream, bro-ific country radio in a way that probably would not have been possible just a few years ago. It's been fun to watch Chris' success over the last year, to be able to root for country music that is actually really good make it through to the mainstream.

Chris is a genuine talent and one of the best new country/Americana voices in years; like Sturgill Simpson last year, he will be pulling crossover duty at Stagecoach (where he was booked right as he was blowing up last fall) and Coachella this year. Chris will definitely be among the best sets on Sunday:

Last edited by Miroir Noir; 01-05-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Just came across Gogo Penguin and can't figure out if I like it or not. They're a British jazz trio made up of piano, standup bass, and drums. I've only been listening to a couple songs and sometimes they're great and other times too contemporary for their own good. The drummer is a machine and his skittish beats remind me of Aphex Twin at times. The piano over this also adds to that feel, but there are other parts that are a bit too anthemic and remind me of EDM or Muse. Idk I'm only halfway through the album "v2.0" and some of it is really great while other parts feel cold and mechanical. Will definitely be one of the most talented groups to play the weekend for sure though.

Last edited by slinkybutt; 01-08-2016 at 10:35 AM.

They're on my short list for sure. I put on that album during rainy days. Puts me in such a mood. Very excited to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Deafheaven can best be described as post-blackgaze (yes this is actually a genre) a mix of post rock, shoegaze, and black metal. If you like any of these genres you will probably like this music, but may have trouble with the vocals. They're a solid live band, and will put on a really loud and energetic show. They will most likely be the Sunday highlight.

Last edited by slinkybutt; 01-08-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    Deafheaven can best be described as post-blackgaze (yes this is actually a genre) a mix of post rock, shoegaze, and black metal. If you like any of these genres you will probably like this music, but may have trouble with the vocals. They're a solid live band, and will put on a really loud and energetic show. They will most likely be the Sunday highlight.
    I've updated the list with Deafheaven and Gogo Penguin, feel free to edit and post a youtube video for each so others can easily tap into them

Ex Hex are a garage-pop punk band out of Washington D.C. consisting of Mary Timony, Betsy Wright, and Laura Harris. They released their debut album, Rips on Merge Records in 2014. Timony, if you remember, was a part of the very excellent band Wild Flag that played Coachella in 2012. I saw them at Treasure Island and they were tight as hell and having a blast on stage. This is going to be an excellent early Saturday set.

7/22-24: Sunset Campout @ Belden Town
    7/25: Ultimate Painting @ The Chapel
    7/29: Woods, Gun Outfit, Cian Nugent @ The Chapel
    7/29: Lucy @ f8
    7/30: Robag Whrume, Sassmouth, Solar @ Mighty
    8/3: Margo Price @ Gundlach Bundschu
    8/25: Gold Panda @ The Independent

Sasha & John Digweed, two of the great DJs of Progressive House, are billed separately and on 2 different days, but hereís to hoping they may, at some point over the weekend, join together to reunite and bless us with the old-school glory of the 90ís international rave scene. Itís really hard to find short samples of their music, but hereís a few snippets.

Sasha & Digweed:
    https://youtu.be/qODy7ew1uQo

Sasha:
    https://youtu.be/dAJAIxaV7a8

John Digweed:
    https://youtu.be/3rL1kXvfFhU
    Last edited by algunz; 01-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Ice Cube

Ice Cube is the stage name of American actor O'Shea Jackson, Sr. He is known for films such as Barbershop, Barbershop 2, Are We There Yet?, and XXX: State of the Union. His diverse career is what earned him a spot subheadlining this year. He was also a producer on Straight Outta Compton, a film about the history of rap group NWA.

Last edited by nathanfairchild; 01-08-2016 at 10:37 AM.

August 12-14 - Migration Fest
    August 16 - Monolord
    August 26-28 - Psycho LV
    September 7 - Cobalt
    September 12 - Kraftwerk
    September 17 - Melvins
    September 20 - Wolves In The Throne Room
    September 21 - Kanye West
    September 30-October 2 - ACL wk.1
    October 7-9 - ACL wk.2
    October 11 - Failure
    October 21 - Sleep
    October 22 - Sleep
    October 23 - Sleep
    November 6 - Sia
    November 12 - Black Sabbath

Shamir

Shamir is an up and coming pop artist, born and raised in Las Vegas. Very unique voice and melodies with catchy beats. Most of the songs reflect on his experience growing up in a tourist city like Vegas and his new album was recognized as one of the top 100 of 2015 by Pitchfork.

Last edited by WhiteIverson; 01-08-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Bravo, nathan

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    One suggestion, though, is to limit embedded YouTube videos to one per post, as this thread takes forever to load when each post has a lot of them. Maybe embed one and hyperlink the others?
    Please!

Shamir is adorable. Looks like it could be a fun set.

Ex Hex is great. I'm bummed I haven't heard about them until now.
    Last edited by algunz; 01-08-2016 at 12:15 PM.

edited: didn't see the request for only one video per post!

BADBADNOTGOOD are a Canadian hip hop jazz rock fusion (and whatever other label you want to throw in there) group. They met while in the jazz program at Humber College in Toronto. They are young unpretentious artists with a sophisticated sound. They have many collaborations with today’s great hip hop stars, so guest appearances are a possibility.

https://youtu.be/caY0MEok19I

https://youtu.be/DBYZIMIhdd0

https://youtu.be/6YW_RqTuZMw
    Last edited by algunz; 01-08-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Wolf Alice

Probably one of the best rock bands to come out of the UK in quite awhile. Very diverse sound. Some of their stuff, like the below "Moaning Lisa Smile," sounds like if Alice in Chains had a female lead singer. Other stuff is on the quieter side. They kill it on stage. Guitarist Joff Oddie has an assortment of pedals and kills it. The bass player Theo bounces around like a crazy guy. Love lead singer Ellie Rowsell's voice. She's got amazing chops. The crowd towards the front should me a fun mosh for all their bangers.

Bay Area raised / LA livin. Work in sports, freelance about music for GrimyGoods. Shows I've seen

COACHELLAS: '14 W2 / '15 W1 W2

Upcoming shows:
    5/13-5/15 Shaky Knees Fest
    5/20-5/22 Hangout Fest
    5/27-5/30 Sasquatch
    6/3-6/5 Governors Ball
    6/9-6/12 Bonnaroo
    6/16-6/19 Firefly

unpretentious jazz is an oxymoron

Hahaha. Jazz may not be, but they are a very unassuming group of regular dudes.
    Last edited by algunz; 01-09-2016 at 11:53 PM.

Shamir is a fun show... saw him at Life is Beautiful in Vegas last year and now I'm in love with his keyboard player. Wolf Alice is on the come up; watch them get huge.
    4/17/11-T/R/L/P

And why is this in the Non-Coachella Music lounge? That's why I couldn't find it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Ice Cube

Ice Cube is the stage name of American actor O'Shea Jackson, Sr. He is known for films such as Barbershop, Barbershop 2, Are We There Yet?, and XXX: State of the Union. His diverse career is what earned him a spot subheadlining this year. He was also a producer on Straight Outta Compton, a film about the history of rap group NWA.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    poor spook poop

UNKNOWN MORTAL ORCHESTRA

With various members hailing from the Pacific Northwest and Auckland NZ, UMO blend psych and garage rock expertly. Frontman Ruban Nielson is a totally kickass composer and guitar player. Their new album "Multi-Love" was one of my favorite albums of the 2015, and garnered tonnes of praise from numerous music publications such as Rolling Stone and Pitchfork. Their influences are, clearly, all over the map. Plenty of soulful ballads, funky bass lines, jazzy guitar licks, and straight-up dancin' tunes. Feel like they're gonna put on a kickass afternoon set in the Mojave.
    Anything is possible...