Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resequenced.

Default Resequenced.

If you are like me, you sometimes listen to an album and for some reason it doesn't really click, even though you realize you like the songs, etc. Then it occurs to you (or maybe it was immediately obvious to you): the band really dropped the ball on sequencing the track order of the album. A preceding song can absolutely affect the way you hear, perceive and experience the following song. Perhaps they didn't put any thought into it, or perhaps they over-thought it. Maybe they put too many songs in the same key in a row. Maybe they just have a different philosophy as to whole an album should flow. For the most part, I hate it when bands open with a slow song... unless it's an awesome building slow song that immediately sucks you in. Lots of bands think they are Pink Floyd, though, and think a slow song is an appropriate way to start off an album. As a general rule, they are wrong. I also think an album should close with either a barnburner or the most epic, long, grandiose or emotionally devastating song on the album.

Anyway, what are some albums you would resequence, and how? You can't just remove a song, but you can (*and probably should, if you have any sense) remove interstitials, skits, placeholding/mood setting instrumentals, unnecessary intros, etc., which is what I did on my first entry below.

Here's my first pick:

Okkervil River - The Stand Ins

Resequences:
    1. Pop Lie
    2. Starry Stairs
    3. Lost Coastlines
    4. Blue Tulip
    5. Singer Songwriter
    6. On Tour With Zykos
    7. Calling and Not Calling My Ex
    8. Bruce Wayne Interviewed On The Roof Of The Chelsea Hotel, 1979

Resequenced Spotify playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/1220458...W5Nlyll0zA35Bh
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    Sappy

Default Re: Resequenced.

Ok I'm going to try this. When I was listening to old records on my new turntable the other day, I brought out Curve's Doppelganger, which although I like most if not all of the songs, it's hard to listen to it the whole way through, and maybe that is because of the track list order. This was their first "real" album as this band released three 4-track EPs in succession as their first releases, which were later combined into the album Pubic Fruit (ok , AWFUL album title). One of the first shoegaze bands from the early 90s in England, this band was a prescursor to Garbage who ripped them off shamelessly. (and I love Garbage too!)

My order for Doppelganger by Curve:
    1. Horrorhead
    2. Already Yours
    3. Doppelganger
    4. Sandpit (I wish we could just drop this song, don't like it as much, but DEFINITELY NOT as the album ender)
    5. Split into Fractions
    6. Think and Act
    7. Lillies Dying
    8. Ice That Melts the Tips
    9. Fait Accompli
    10. Wish You Dead (this is a really powerful hate song, and thereby should close the album, love this song! either this one or perhaps this should be #9, and Fait Accompli, the single, should close)
    Last edited by amyzzz; 02-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    NEW SIG

The best one I have done is Dig Me Out by Sleater-Kinney. It's a great album but the powerhouses show up so early my attention can wander missing the other great songs.

Out Dig Me
    Dance Song '97
    Words and Guitar
    Not What You Want
    The Drama You've Been Craving
    Jenny
    Dig Me Out
    Little Babies
    Heart Factory
    Things You Say
    Turn It On
    One More Hour
    Buy Her Candy
    It's Enough

Thinking about it I should probably do the same for The Sophtware Slump.

At any rate I created a Spotify playlist for this sort of thing at the start of the year.
    Link, URI:
    Code:
    spotify:user:1236893927:playlist:0zMRQsS6JCGROVe7XrlpGf
    These are not all mine and they are not all following the rules. From the Choirgirl Hotel uses the liner notes order, while Up (REM) cuts a few songs and Amnesiac replaces a few songs with contemporary b-sides. Another took the four records Ryan Adams released in 2005 and cut it down to one.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 02-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

when i downloaded modest mouse's we were dead... in 2007 the tracks were sequenced in reverse. starting with invisible and ending with march to the sea. it was months before i realized how it was intended to be listened to, and it never packed the same punch. i still ilisten to it backwards every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I always thought Joshua Tree by U2 was way off. All the best songs are on the first half of the album. Start strong, go strong in the middle and end with 2 bangers.

"Where the Streets Have No Name"
    "Running to Stand Still"
    "Red Hill Mining Town"
    "In God's Country"
    "Trip Through Your Wires"
    "With or Without You"
    "One Tree Hill"
    "Exit"
    "Mothers of the Disappeared"
    "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
    "Bullet the Blue Sky"

Oh and if Alt J was able to have 2 of their bonus tracks from An Awesome Wave, it would have been even more amazing then it already is which is pretty crazy...

"Intro" 2:37
    "❦ [The Ripe & Ruin]" 1:12
    "Tessellate" 3:02
    "Breezeblocks" 3:47
    "❦ [Guitar]" 1:17
    "Something Good" 3:38
    "Dissolve Me" 3:59
    "Buffalo"
    "Matilda" 3:48
    "Leon"
    "Ms" 3:59
    "Fitzpleasure" 3:39
    "❦ [Piano]" 0:53
    "Bloodflood" 4:09
    "Taro" 5:05
    "Hand-Made" (hidden track)

Thanks for all the contributions and thanks for the spotify playlist John
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    Sappy

And whoa John, crazy that you already were doing this
    ---
    Sappy

I always thought Rock and Roll and Black Dog should be flip/flopped.

So I played around and re-arranged it to reflect the speed side vs the weed side.

Led Zeppelin 4 (ZOSO)

Side 1 (Bang your head)

1. Rock and Roll
    2. Black Dog
    3. Four Sticks
    4. Misty Mountain Hop
    5. When the Levee Breaks

Side 2 (Chill down)

1 Going to California
    2. The Battle of Evermore
    3. Stairway to Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Interesting take on Led Zep 4, although I think When the Levee Breaks is a pretty solid closer.
    ---
    Sappy

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    Interesting take on Led Zep 4, although I think When the Levee Breaks is a pretty solid closer.
    My first thought as well. You cannot have that song on an album and not end with it, just as Sgt. Pepper cannot end with anything other than A Day in the Life.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    My first thought as well. You cannot have that song on an album and not end with it, just as Sgt. Pepper cannot end with anything other than A Day in the Life.
    Stairway to Heaven is the closer.

Flip it back to side 1.

End of story.
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

When the Levee Breaks is not only the best song on the album, but possibly the best song the band ever recorded. It's a truly special song.

When the Levee Breaks is not only the best song on the album, but possibly the best song the band ever recorded. It's a truly special song.
    Truly special, yes; but never special enough to be voted the "#1 rock and roll song of all time."

You're not gonna win this one.

And I've been sick of Stairway to Heaven for over twenty years.

Who voted that? Because they don't really matter.

Zeppelin won this one. You lose. Sorry dude.

Who voted that? Because they don't really matter.

Zeppelin won this one. You lose. Sorry dude.

People who grew up listening to FM rock in the 70's voted this. Yeah, we're all pretty old now.

You couldn't spin an FM dial half a turn without hearing Stairway to Heaven every hour on some FM radio station in the 70's. At least in Western Mass. Free Bird and Sweet Emotion were always close behind.

I'm with you with Levee being a better song, but it's just not the heavyweight that Stairway is on this particular album/ Zep catalogue

Ask your Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    Thanks for all the contributions and thanks for the spotify playlist John
    I'm glad I had it. I'll be adding more of these, too. Spotify doesn't have that Curve album, though, so I'll have to pull out mp3s or the actual CD.

Also my reactions to several of these has been "huh, I don't really like that album" but looking back at my playlist reminds me that this is ideal. This is a great way to revisit an album that didn't take/you're bored of.
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

Which leads into the Zeppelin thing. I agree that "Stairway to Heaven" is the song that is the major cultural touchstone... but since when has that ever mattered? It was really a great thing when teenaged me realized that the best songs (read: my favorite songs) were not always the big radio hits.

I'm with Bryan; "When the Levee Breaks" may be Zeppelin at their best.

Black Flag
    Slip It In

The Bars
    Wound Up
    My Ghetto
    Black Coffee
    Rat's Eyes
    You're Not Evil
    Obliteration
    Slip It In

Muse - Absolution
    I actually have Stockholm Syndrome edited to lead it off because I think it makes the album start off better. Thoughts of a Dying Atheist is the perfect closer

Stockholm Syndrome
    Apocalypse Please
    Hysteria
    Sing For Absolution
    The Small Print
    Interlude
    Butterflies and Hurricanes
    Blackout
    Time Is Running Out
    Falling Away With You
    Endlessly
    Ruled By Secrecy
    Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I'm glad I had it. I'll be adding more of these, too. Spotify doesn't have that Curve album, though, so I'll have to pull out mp3s or the actual CD.

Also my reactions to several of these has been "huh, I don't really like that album" but looking back at my playlist reminds me that this is ideal. This is a great way to revisit an album that didn't take/you're bored of.
    oh thanks for doing that, John. I have all the cds and vinyl and didn't even realize it wasn't on Spotify yet. I most recently discovered Curve doesn't even have a Facebook page! Not sure why.

edited: I also have all their albums and a couple singles on cassette tape. I was a super hardcore Curve fan and collected just about every release they put out.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 02-13-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    NEW SIG

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    People who grew up listening to FM rock in the 70's voted this. Yeah, we're all pretty old now.

You couldn't spin an FM dial half a turn without hearing Stairway to Heaven every hour on some FM radio station in the 70's. At least in Western Mass. Free Bird and Sweet Emotion were always close behind.

I'm with you with Levee being a better song, but it's just not the heavyweight that Stairway is on this particular album/ Zep catalogue

Ask your Dad.
    He says that Led Zeppelin's best song is When the Levee Breaks. BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    I always thought Rock and Roll and Black Dog should be flip/flopped.

So I played around and re-arranged it to reflect the speed side vs the weed side.

Led Zeppelin 4 (ZOSO)

Side 1 (Bang your head)

1. Rock and Roll
    2. Black Dog
    3. Four Sticks
    4. Misty Mountain Hop
    5. When the Levee Breaks

Side 2 (Chill down)

1 Going to California
    2. The Battle of Evermore
    3. Stairway to Heaven
    I think if you swapped Stairway with Levee but keep the rest of your tracklist, this yields solid results.
    ---
    Sappy

He says that Led Zeppelin's best song is When the Levee Breaks. BOOM!
    My argument wasn't which of the two songs was better. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

I resequenced it the way I did to make side 1 an all out balls to the wall rocker side and side 2 a dreamy/ trippy/ mystical side that finishes with the most iconic Led Zeppelin song out there.

The last part of the song ("And as we wind on down the road.........all the way to Plant's crooning/murmuring the eponymous lyric at the end) for me, would be the triumphant finish this album might have had.

Can I get an AMEN?

I am going to break my own rules with this next one, Nevermind. As seen with Zep IV, it is tough to mess with iconic albums. Not only because a lot of them are already pretty expertly sequenced, but also because our brains have been trained to hear song y follow song x through the sheer force of repetition.

I love Nevermind, but I don't like that the singles are all front loaded; this is not a problem because I think that makes the front half better, but because it makes the front half boring and packed with overly familiar mid-tempo songs which makes it drag compared to the unfuckwithable second half. I am not going to do it for this exercise, but I if I had my way, I would remove Lithium altogether, as that is easily my least favorite song on the album. So how am I going to break my own rules? I am going to add Aneurysm (Incesticide version), because it is my favorite Nirvana song and I have no idea why they didn't include it originally. I am also going to swap out nevermind-version Polly for New Wave Polly, as I prefer that version. I considered including "Sappy", one of the oldest Nirvana songs (so it was definitely available to record during the Nevermind sessions, and was to inferior results), and perhaps my second favorite Nirvana song, but I did not because the definitive version of the song wasn't recorded until 1993. I personally don't like Smells Like Teen Spirit first, since I never want to hear it again, but there's no way it can't open this album. I am not sure this new order actually makes it better, but it makes it far more enjoyable for me personally.

Nirvana - Nevermind (Resequenced):

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit
    2. In Bloom
    3. Breed
    4. Aneurysm
    5. Come As You Are
    6. Territorial Pissings
    7. Drain You
    8. (New Wave) Polly
    9. Lithium
    10. Lounge Act
    11. Stay Away
    12. On a Plain
    13. Something In The Way

On Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1220458...fNkuIzmVt56cho
    Last edited by york707; 02-13-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    ---
    Sappy

YES.
    NEW SIG

I actually think In Utero is sequenced pretty horribly other than having the absolutely correct closer (the only other acceptable alternative, in hindsight, would be I Hate Myself And Want To Die, using my "Aneurysm Rule" from above).

In Utero is a much tougher knot to untie (compared to Nevermind), though, as there is no obvious opener and a ton of the songs are willfully difficult and no combination of them seem (to my ear) to constitute any sort of coherent statement or collective work. I have always had a hard time connecting with this album.

I will see what I can come up with.

For the record, I would not change Bleach at all.
    ---
    Sappy

Ugh, starting with Smells Like Teen Spirit? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I wasn't feeling super revolutionary. Just tweaking it. But my gut said to move it to the back, but that would have just fucked up any other flow I developed. This way I can start on #2 and not have to skip anything.
    ---
    Sappy

Okay that's a valid reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop