Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: id like to see SP

Default id like to see SP

they would totally sell tickets

Last edited by cubrocker; 01-25-2009 at 07:53 AM.
    Years attended: ...'08...'09...'10...'11...'12...'13!!

Default Re: id like to see SP

Only with Iha, plz.
    Last edited by Genedefekt; 01-25-2009 at 08:04 AM.

If it was 2006, I would say that I would love to see them there as well. After the 20th anniversary tour, however, I'm not so sure I ever want to see them again. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by INeedANapp View Post
    If it was 2006, I would say that I would love to see them there as well. After the 20th anniversary tour, however, I'm not so sure I ever want to see them again. So sad.
    yeah? bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by INeedANapp View Post
    Theres a great review of their recent shows in the newest SPIN. Jesus, Billy is such a fucking crybaby. The fans shouldnt put up with this shit anymore
    COACHELLA 2006
    09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Memorial_07

I thought they'd play in '06: Wrong
    '07: Wrong
    '08: You guessed it...Wrong
    '09: Not even worth predicting

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Theres a great review of their recent shows in the newest SPIN. Jesus, Billy is such a fucking crybaby. The fans shouldnt put up with this shit anymore
    i think billy is pretty fucking rad. hes a very smart guy.

I used to absolutely love the Pumpkins. Adore is one of my top 10 albums ever, and was the first album that me and my wife really got into together and brought us a lot closer together. That said, the Pumpkins are just a shell of what they once were. I would have very little interest in seeing them now.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Those who think that Smashing Pumpkins need the original lineuip to be great apparently don't realize that Billy basically WAS the band. Jimmy has always been the drummer, but Corgan would often play Iha and D'Arcy's parts in the studio.

Also, what if they performed "Adore" material? Would you ask that Jimmy Chamberlin please step off the stage because he didn't help make that album? Or what about when Auf Der Maur toured with them after MACHINA? How come fans didn't boo her? Silliness.

Billy and Jimmy = all you really need for Pumpkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    GV doesn't care. We shouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    I used to absolutely love the Pumpkins. Adore is one of my top 10 albums ever, and was the first album that me and my wife really got into together and brought us a lot closer together. That said, the Pumpkins are just a shell of what they once were. I would have very little interest in seeing them now.
    billy and the rest of them would still have their heart and soul in their performance

unlike... say... a Smiths reunion show.

Quote Originally Posted by cubrocker View Post
    billy and the rest of them would still have their heart and soul in their performance

unlike... say... a Smiths reunion show.
    OH SNAP!!! I predict this board will go up in a mass wall of flame.

Like, yeah totally man, they would sell tickets!!! And you're right Billy is fucking RAD!!!! And yeah, like a totally smart guy too!!! So smart that he took one of the best bands of the 90's and destroyed it completely out of his own ego, tried to prove to everyone how smart and rad he is by forming a NEW totally rad group with his drummer. And in a magnificent move of brilliance, ended that band so he could go solo, while still using pretty much the same drummer on that album, then since no one saw how smart he was with that album, he decided to get The Smashing Pumpkins back together with the same drummer that he used in every other band and got two entirely new RAD people to play guitar and bass. The guy's a genius!!!! And man, like you said, he's just so rad and could totally sell tickets.
    It's funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cubrocker View Post
    i think billy is pretty fucking rad. hes a very smart guy.
    I'm pretty neutral towards him, just read the review though
    COACHELLA 2006
    09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Like, yeah totally man, they would sell tickets!!! And you're right Billy is fucking RAD!!!! And yeah, like a totally smart guy too!!! So smart that he took one of the best bands of the 90's and destroyed it completely out of his own ego, tried to prove to everyone how smart and rad he is by forming a NEW totally rad group with his drummer. And in a magnificent move of brilliance, ended that band so he could go solo, while still using pretty much the same drummer on that album, then since no one saw how smart he was with that album, he decided to get The Smashing Pumpkins back together with the same drummer that he used in every other band and got two entirely new RAD people to play guitar and bass. The guy's a genius!!!! And man, like you said, he's just so rad and could totally sell tickets.

Perhaps some perspective. SP (current incarnation)>Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Amaretto View Post
    QFT

Why are we even comparing? I didn't know this was a would you rather scenario. I like SP, but I just can't look at them on stage now without the feeling of, "What a fucking douchebag that Billy Corgan is." Unfortunately he has tainted the music and the band by his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Why are we even comparing? I didn't know this was a would you rather scenario. I like SP, but I just can't look at them on stage now without the feeling of, "What a fucking douchebag that Billy Corgan is." Unfortunately he has tainted the music and the band by his actions.
    Ok, we're not comparing anymore. Old SP are great, period. The one Zwan album that came out was amazing. Billy Corgan's solo album sucked., granted, but the new SP album is way better than it has any right to be. Corgan may be a douche, but he can write good songs.

Tarantula does fucking rock, I'll give ya that. And yeah I'd rather see SP than Killers f I had to choose

Those who think that Smashing Pumpkins need the original lineuip to be great apparently don't realize that Billy basically WAS the band. Jimmy has always been the drummer, but Corgan would often play Iha and D'Arcy's parts in the studio.

Also, what if they performed "Adore" material? Would you ask that Jimmy Chamberlin please step off the stage because he didn't help make that album? Or what about when Auf Der Maur toured with them after MACHINA? How come fans didn't boo her? Silliness.

Billy and Jimmy = all you really need for Pumpkins.
    The current and past versions of SP play Adore material.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen22 View Post
    The current and past versions of SP play Adore material.
    No, I know. I just think it's funny when people say "Oh, Iha and D'Arcy would have to be there for me to watch them." Iha and D'arcy were never the driving force in that band, it was always Billy and Jimmy.

Jimmy didn't help to make Adore, but fans would never ask him to NOT play those songs just because he didn't make them. Yet fans don't want to see Jeff Schroeder and Ginger Reyes, the new guitarist and bassist, play old Pumpkins songs? Really, any person that plays in SP are interchangeable except for Billy and Jimmy.

Regardless of who makes up the SP lineup, my problem is that at the anniversary shows Billy made a mockery of the fans. The SPIN article mentioned above sums it up nicely. As a fan of the Pumpkins since the early 90s, I left those shows feeling insulted. And frankly, for $100 each night, definitely ripped off.

i saw them back in october like a year and a half ago with the new line up, and they were really good live but their new stuff live was horrible.

I'd only want to see them with the original lineup again
    "I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human" - David Bowie

I would love to see smashing pumpkins...but the reviews of all the people that went to their shows last year, I dont think is worth the time..

i really like the Pumkins. part of my adolescence.

but it wouldnt be the same without the original lineup
    Rhythm is a dancer.

I definitely don't believe it has anything to do with the lineup. I saw them at the Orange Peel in Asheville in June '07, and they TORE IT UP. Almost 4 hours of heavy hitting rock. They were amazing and played just about everything I hoped they would: Starla, Hummer, Drown. Lately, however, Billy has gone into one of his bitching fests, and I just don't really have the patience anymore. I mean, don't do us any favors or anything, Billy.

Seen the new Pumpkins live twice. They're one of my favorite bands. They sucked at KROQ LA Invasion 2007, but on December 2, 2008 in LA they were great. I think them playing Coachella would only work if they played a strictly greatest hits set. It'd actually be unique since they haven't at all since 2007.

Having seen them on this latest tour, I'd be happy if they played Coachella, only IF didn't play any old material.

Billy's right in bitching at the crowd. They all came to hear the greatest hits, which is bullshit. Zeitgeist was a bit of a misfire, but the songs they've written since are tremendous.

But it was very obvious at the shows that people were there to hear 1979, and got very restless if they didn't follow that up with Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

Lame.

That's not what Coachella is about. Coachella is about exciting and new music.

Those here who get all upset about Iha (wtf? he wasn't even a good guitarist to begin with) or D'arcy (a barely competent bassist) not playing, need to get their heads checked.

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    Having seen them on this latest tour, I'd be happy if they played Coachella, only IF didn't play any old material.

Billy's right in bitching at the crowd. They all came to hear the greatest hits, which is bullshit. Zeitgeist was a bit of a misfire, but the songs they've written since are tremendous.

But it was very obvious at the shows that people were there to hear 1979, and got very restless if they didn't follow that up with Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

Lame.

That's not what Coachella is about. Coachella is about exciting and new music.

Those here who get all upset about Iha (wtf? he wasn't even a good guitarist to begin with) or D'arcy (a barely competent bassist) not playing, need to get their heads checked.

Some bands should just skip playing JUST their new stuff at a crowd like coachella. Granted, its a good opportunity for groups to show off their new work but at this place? Sometimes it will backfire. IE New Order in 05, and Placebo in 07
    "Choke on that Causality!"

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't give a shit if the Killers are playing; I'll watch something else-even if it's watching the poor churro man get trampled by stoners.

youve got a point... but if they are going to still call themselves "The Smashing Pumpkins" they can't just ignore all that great material from the past, especially since thats whats gotten them this far
    "I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human" - David Bowie