Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Seasonal Depression Support Thread

Default The Seasonal Depression Support Thread

I've come to accept that whether I can control it or not, I suffer from seasonal depression right around the holidays and into the winter. I don't get stressed about the holidays and the rush or anything stereotypical, because I've at least learned that the least I can do is not get hung up in it and not put more stress onto myself, but I'm an introvert and I have a way with absorbing the tension and bustle around me made by others. I also feel lonelier around this time of year more than others because it's a very social time of year, and because I don't have a girlfriend or a dependable group of friends, I become very withdrawn socially. It's not a great feeling when you get so down on yourself that you just want to stay inside, curl up into a ball and sleep forever.

Not sure if this is because I live in New England where there's so much less sunlight this time of year, but in a very respectful way, here's sending out a beacon to others who may be in the same position. It's not fun and feeling like you're the most unwanted person in the world is never a great way to think.

Default Re: The Seasonal Depression Support Thread

There is an anxiety thread, so you're not completely alone on here about depression/anxiety: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...-Health/page50

But about the seasonal thing, I feel you-- I've been there before. And science supports the SAD thing in terms of sunlight.

I've really embraced my introvertedness when it comes to the holidays and tried not to let some of the societal mandated cheer-be-with-your-family bullshit make me feel guilty.

4/24-26: Stagecoach
    5/1: Giegling Showcase @ Oakland
    5/2: Sleater-Kinney @ The Masonic
    5/3: Four Tet B2B Floating Points @ Public Works
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Thanks for the reminder than I'm overdue to hate life. This winter hasn't been horrible enough yet, but my exposure to the sun has been very low so it should happen any day now.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Well, try not to hate life too much! The purpose of creating this thread is to just let others know they aren't in it alone if they're experiencing it, and while it's tough to not let it get hold of you, recognizing it's there is a good step in maybe preventing old patterns. For example, the lack of daylight also makes me tired earlier -- especially weekends. It's 9:15pm, I'm exhausted and I'm thinking of calling it a night already compared to spring/summer when I'm wide awake until midnight. Usually I'd fight the tiredness and dwell on how it's Saturday night and I'm not out being social, but I'm just going to take it as an opportunity to take advantage of rest.

I like to think of it as a bout of depression because the Coachella lineup is just about a month away. This also happens for about a month after the festival.
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Happy winter. I'm still a virgin and turning 30 soon, nobody likes me and it's been bothering me a lot, so find me a cave to hibernate indefinitely.

Depression is the common cold of mental illness, 1 in 5 folks will experience a significant clinical depression at some point in their life although they often don't recognize it for what it is and don't seek help. That's unfortunate because its quite treatable. Treatment typically consists of anti-depressant medicine (which has improved over the years and has fewer side effects) and psychotherapy. Things like exercise and perhaps getting involved in some type of charitable work, etc., can help too. But depression is no joke, I hope you know that there's no shame in getting help and, I wish you well.

Therapy may be helpful for you, Pablo. good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Pablo - I support you crawling into a hole
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Why are we only supporting depression once a year? wouldn't a year round approach be more effective? Is it just go fuck yourself an die during the offseason?
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

It can be a year-round thing, but I think something about the holiday season/wintertime has a way of highlighting what's been beneath the surface all along, so it's a good time to acknowledge it.

I just think your thread title could be a little misleading and you are trying to attract a likely fragile audience. It could easily be misconstrued as a "fuck off and die asshole" thread title. You see what I'm saying right?

That's not it's intent. Everyone deserves support when they are down. One of the worst feelings is being downtrodden and feeling like nobody is there to even as so much listen.

So maybe you're actually talking about seasonal affective disorder? That would make more sense to me. Intent, like tone doesn't automatically translate into text. Also, I'm not sure about that "everyone deserves support when they're down" statement. I mean what exactly would you have said to Hitler after lunch on April 30th 1945? I'm pretty sure he was down.

Seasonal depression and seasonal affective disorder are the same thing: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/servic...nal-depression

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Also, I'm not sure about that "everyone deserves support when they're down" statement. I mean what exactly would you have said to Hitler after lunch on April 30th 1945? I'm pretty sure he was down.
    everyone deserves support when they're down*

*as long as they aren't a terrible human being with intent on destruction, hurting others and / or serving only their own selfish immoral intentions

Well that doesn't really help at all. If you meant to get technical, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) as it was know in the DSM IV, is now replaced in the DSM V with the modifier "with seasonal pattern" for all the range of depressive disorders. We should probably split this up into multiple threads so as not to confuse the Major depressives, situational dpressives, and don't forget the major depression with psychotic features. I mean they are not really all dealing with the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pablomoney View Post
    everyone deserves support when they're down*

*as long as they aren't a terrible human being with intent on destruction, hurting others and / or serving only their own selfish immoral intentions

Some people believe he was just a lost drug addict who really only wanted to be loved and appreciated.

It sounds like someone just wants to be an Internet dick for no apparent reason. I don't know what you're getting out of this aside from poking and prodding people not in the best state with their lives at the moment.

So I guess your stance is more "everyone deserves to be kicked while they're down."

Why are we only supporting depression once a year? wouldn't a year round approach be more effective? Is it just go fuck yourself an die during the offseason?
    I just think your thread title could be a little misleading and you are trying to attract a likely fragile audience. It could easily be misconstrued as a "fuck off and die asshole" thread title. You see what I'm saying right?
    I don't see how anyone could possibly read it that way. Your hostility is far more clear and clearly a "fuck you."

As noted above there is a general thread on Anxiety, Depression, Medication, and Mental Health. I don't understand the problem with a specialized thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

That's a whole lot of assumptions about my intent, perhaps you are misreading my tone?

Ah, Kory.

Because there's always a season, this is a year round support thread dependent on which season has depressed you.

Seasonally related depressing news:

My mom just told me at lunch that she doesn't want me, my brother, my boyfriend, or my dad drinking beer at xmas because it makes my grandma and aunt "nervous."

oh that is just ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Seasonally related depressing news:

My mom just told me at lunch that she doesn't want me, my brother, my boyfriend, or my dad drinking beer at xmas because it makes my grandma and aunt "nervous."
    Hard liquor and wine only?
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

Huh. Unless you guys have displayed alcohol induced domestic violence, or that is what your aunt and grandma experienced in the past, I wonder why they would request this. Perhaps this is when that bagged whiskey comes into play?

I'm not really depressed so much, but I've got the flu or some form of a cold right now. On top of that, I'm staying at my family's house for the holidays and its absolute hell. Everyone is here and loud as fuck, and the couch that I call bed hurts like a bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

Nothing untoward, they're just dull prudes. My household was always totally dry on account of my mother's similar qualities but like 2 or 3 years ago my brother and dad and I were finally like fuck this when it came to family gatherings and started drinking open in front of them. In any case my mom was amenable to my suggestion that we keep the beer in a cooler outside so depressing crisis averted.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

all i have been talking about is cooking christmas dinner and how excited i am about it. mom is cooking ham, green beans, and cranberries. i am cooking two pies, scalloped potatoes, and biscuit. we are eating tonight. i kept trying to get a day settled and talking about preparations. well today my mom decides she wants all of us to go on a long drive and see the city. i planned a lot of things to cook and kept telling her that i don't have time, nor do i want cooking to be rushed & stressful. so as they are leaving i say once again that i don't want to go. she talks about people helping. but she has a tiny kitchen. and i am cooking from scratch. i am not going to supervise, explain, and do this with five fucking people in a tiny kitchen. she kept making me feel shitty about it and then they were saying things about not needing all the food anyway. i stayed home, but now i feel totally shitty and don't even want to bother. my fucking dad is dead and not here and the only thing that is cheering me up is cooking. why can't she let me have just one fucking moment of joy and doing things as i have planned!? not to mention that i have massive pain with sitting and don't really want to sit in a car for two hours seeing a city that i have seen seven times already.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

That is rough, Ivy. it sounds like your mom is trying to cope with the loss one way and you are trying to cope another. If cooking makes me feel good, go ahead and do it. I'm sorry that your mom is making you feel bad.