Page 120 of 123 FirstFirst ... 115116117118119120121122123 LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3661

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

picked up two very fresh pieces of salmon for tonight from the market.

any suggestions on how to cook it from the boardie chefs?

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    I have a full set of Wusthof classics and although they are my "daily" knives, I have some a Sakai Takayuki single beveled "Gyuto" knife for more delicate tasks.

If I could do it all over again (I've had the Wusthofs for close to 15 years) I'd go only Wusthof for a chef's knife and bread knife, maybe boning too. I'd go Japanese with another chef's or santoku, paring, and slicing.

I find my Japanese knife is too light for many of the rougher tasks and my Wusthofs can't get nearly as sharp as my Japanese for more precise tasks. So my Wusthofs are my "beaters" and my Takayuki is my always razor sharp sword.

The two biggest downsides to Wusthofs or any other European style knife is the full bolster, and the softer steel than japanese. While the bolster is nice so you can prevent cutting your finger off, it makes sharpening a pain in the ass. You'll invariably always have a "less sharp" area close to the bolster, and ultimately the bolster will extend pass the knife blade after sharpening many times (unless you grind it down). If you pass a Wusthof through an electric sharpener, it'll always get hung at the bolster. Japanese knives you won't have that issue. The hardness will make some of the Japanese slightly more difficult to sharpen, but they will hold an edge much better than European assuming you take care of them.

However, I am in the camp of never using an electric sharpener, so I'll either sharpen myself with Japanese stones or take it into a shop where they hand sharpen. A lot of "sharpening" places just throw it on a ChefsMate or other electric. Many of the electrics can't handle a 30 degree combined angle (for Japanese) and none can do a single beveled edge. If you do go Japanese, please don't get a fucking Shun. There are plenty of better and harder Japanese knives that can be had for a better price.

Consider how you plan to sharpen, how rough you will be, whether you always desire a super sharp edge, how much time you want to invest in sharpening/honing, etc.
    FYI based on this post, and really this post alone, I bought a Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef's knife yesterday.

i had no idea what i had been missing. holy shit.
    Last edited by TomAz; 09-02-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    FYI based on this post, and really this post alone, I bought a Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef's knife yesterday.

i had no idea what i had been missing. holy shit.
    Good to hear it was helpful. My good friend has that exact knife and loves it. I've used it a handful of times and think it may be better than my Takayuki.

I was a non-believer at one point but once I started sharpening knives myself I started to appreciate how much better some of the Japanese knives are compared to their European counterparts.

Not sure if you've been down to the Phoenix Knife House on 48th and Indian School but if you haven't, it's a great place to absorb info and they do a hell of a job sharpening knives (or sell high quality Naniwa Chosera waterstones if you want to do it yourself). Talk to Eytan if you go.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

So last night I cooked with Tofu for the very first time. I made a tofu curry type dish with veggies. The tofu turned out to be OK but it got me in the mood to try and cook it again but better. I just pan fried it with curry powder and then added sauce. Anyone have any recommendations on what I did wrong or how to make it better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Couple of things off the top of my head:

Check your firmness. For curries you could probably go firm/extra firm so that it holds together.

Season the shit out of it. Tofu needs a lot of seasoning. I would have salted (even marinated) the tofu and then done a cook to give color, and then add to sauce. Your sauce alone won't impart enough flavor/salt to let the flavors shine. I don't know if the first cook with curry powder was done with salt, but that could have been a factor that would have hampered the curry flavors from coming out.

Any other Japanese knife brand suggestions other than Miyabi or Takayuki?
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Not from me unfortunately. I've seen a lot of brands at my local knife shop but can't really remember names.

I have armfuls of fresh tomatoes coming in from the garden right now, specifically a decent amount of tasty little romas. Anyone have a tomato sauce and/or pizza sauce recipe they enjoy that I could use some of these in?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

If they are really good and you want to preserve the flavor, I'd personally make a conserva. But you're gonna need a shitload, like >10 lbs or so. Not sure what your garden is yielding.

Otherwise, if smaller quantity, I wouldn't cook them, I'd make a checca and toss with pasta. Scoop out seeds and gel and dice the rest. Toss with good olive oil, fine garlic, fresh basil, salt, pepper. Make your favorite pasta, and toss with checca.

For me, the better my tomatoes, the less cooked/adulterated my sauce becomes.

Do you need paste tomatoes for the conserva? I only have one roma bush, but it just yielded about 2-3 pounds of fruit. The rest of the bushes (7-8) are more juicy heirloom varietals, and I could easily pull 20-30 pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah, I wouldn't use the heirlooms, only the romas or other similar varietals.

did design-your-own Dia de los Muertos, although that theme was vastly open, cookie design the other night. They sell it at World Market and it's a fun group thing even if there obviously featured only one grand artiste. But would really like to know the best, most delicious way to make a quick batch of saurkraut.

The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

I suppose you could make a brine and do somewhat of a fresh sauerkraut, but typically it should ferment for over a week. Not sure what you had in mind re: "quick".

I've been making tons of krauts, pickles, and other ferments. Really fun stuff. Also been making pates a lot, which I highly recommend. Fairly easy, really cheap, and ridiculously delicious. Does anyone know how to make them get that mousse like texture? I can't seem to get them really light like some of the better ones I've had.
    ACxDC 2015

Stink - a lot of things can go wrong so it's difficult to know what's preventing you from getting the texture you want, but here's a few tips I picked up along the way when making forcemeats:

1) Everything isn't cold enough. Almost all of your equipment, i.e. grinder, blades, bowls, etc. should be frozen or over ice when used. Think of trying to keep everything at 40 degrees at all times. When I make sausages/forcemeats/etc. my grinder parts (feeder, auger, dies, cutting knife) are all in the freezer for an hour before I start grinding. After grinding (and if I have to do a second grind) it'll go back into the freezer. When mixing the meat with seasonings, do so over a bowl that's in ice.

2) Food processors are ok if you don't have a suitable grinder, but you run the risk of over processing in order to get the fine consistency. At the very least, work in small batches, and keep putting that blade in the freezer. The bowl won't really matter if frozen.

3) make sure your meat and fat prior to grinding are also super cold, even semi frozen. The biggest risk you have here is that the combination of fat and meat, i.e. the emulsion, can break, leaving you with a bad consistency.

4) you may not be using enough fat, or the quality/type of your fat may be not ideal. Jowl or leaf fat (or other types of organ fat) is preferred, but if you can't get that I suppose quality back fat is ok if you have to. Never used commercially prepared lard. Make sure the fat you're using is white as possible, firm, and can break apart easily if possible. Note that back fat doesn't have these characteristics and is more difficult to cut/work with.

5) Not sure if you're using a binding agent, such as dry milk or a panada etc. but those can help achieve a smoother, finer, more bound mass, as can cream - that will add to the richness/fullness. Just remember that the emulsion you're making is delicate, it is susceptible to over mixing/heat so don't worry about babying it too much and then once you get the hang of it you can dial back your amount of caution.

In a perfect situation, you'd rely on a good grinder to get your meat ground twice while still cold (almost the consistency of slightly frozen peas) , and then a food processor for a final smoothing. An all-food processor method in my mind is a difficult way to go about it.

So MissBellaHell hooked me up with a free week of Blue Apron and I've continued to order meals from them mostly because I feel like I've learned a lot by being sort of forced into having to use ingredients/cook things that I've never done before. I feel like it's given me a lot of confidence -- I used to always look at recipes and pass because some thing or another seemed too daunting to attempt. I definitely keep fucking up on minor parts of recipes, and when I read through the comments on their FB page a lot of people seem to have similar issues and it seems as though it is in part because of poorly written directions on their behalf (and a lack of knowledge/experience with these ingredients on mine).

So with that being said, I got some frozen chicken thighs. Anyone have a favorite recipe for that? I'll totally try it.

Also, thanks for the earlier discussion of knives in this thread. I'm going to get a couple for xmas based on these recommendations.

3/6: Steffi, Virginia @ Mighty
    3/14: Simian Mobile Disco b2b Roman Flugel, JPhlip @ PW
    3/21: Cymbals Eat Guitars @ GAMH
    3/21: Adam X @ TBA
    3/23: HINDS @ Rickshaw Stop
    3/24: Tim Hecker, Oren Ambarchi @ The Independent
    4/6: Hookworms, Disappears @ The Rickshaw Stop

Made lamb tagine the other day, and hot damn it was delicious.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...pricots-367761
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

I've been using my parents big green egg a lot, it's a great for so many applications. But the biggest hit with the family has been smoked trout. Such a cheap fish and the depth of flavor from smoking likens it to a delicious jerky.

Any smoking wiz's out there? Been looking for a great rib recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    So with that being said, I got some frozen chicken thighs. Anyone have a favorite recipe for that?
    these are some of my favorites
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1...-with-shallots
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/di...jerusalem.html
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/e...-fried-chicken (time consuming, but worth it)

Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    I've been using my parents big green egg a lot, it's a great for so many applications. But the biggest hit with the family has been smoked trout. Such a cheap fish and the depth of flavor from smoking likens it to a delicious jerky.

http://www.amazingribs.com
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

So MissBellaHell hooked me up with a free week of Blue Apron and I've continued to order meals from them mostly because I feel like I've learned a lot by being sort of forced into having to use ingredients/cook things that I've never done before. I feel like it's given me a lot of confidence -- I used to always look at recipes and pass because some thing or another seemed too daunting to attempt. I definitely keep fucking up on minor parts of recipes, and when I read through the comments on their FB page a lot of people seem to have similar issues and it seems as though it is in part because of poorly written directions on their behalf (and a lack of knowledge/experience with these ingredients on mine).

So with that being said, I got some frozen chicken thighs. Anyone have a favorite recipe for that? I'll totally try it.

Also, thanks for the earlier discussion of knives in this thread. I'm going to get a couple for xmas based on these recommendations.
    I don't cook a lot of thighs, I prefer white meat chicken. I do use them when making chicken cacciatore. I hate this woman's show, listening to her speak makes me angry for some reason, but her written recipes seem to be written very clearly, still annoying but I can skip all the extra words. This is my favorite: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...en-cacciatore/

I also use thighs for chicken mole, but I don't make mole sauce from scratch, there are way too many ingredients. I buy the dona maria brand at the grocery store, and I mix in a bit of peanut butter to add some sweetness. You just mix one jar of the mole paste with the broth after you boil the chicken thighs. Then you shred the meat and mix it in with the sauce and serve over white rice.
    Last edited by locachica73; 11-10-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

What kind of ribs do you like? Dry rubbed or marinated? Are you in the "meat falling off the bone" camp or do you like a slight tug off the bone? Do you like spares or baby backs? I can give you some direction.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I don't cook a lot of thighs, I prefer white meat chicken. I do use them when making chicken cacciatore. I hate this woman's show, listening to her speak makes me angry for some reason, but her written recipes seem to be written very clearly, still annoying but I can skip all the extra words. This is my favorite: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...en-cacciatore/

I also use thighs for chicken mole, but I don't make mole sauce from scratch, there are way too many ingredients. I buy the dona maria brand at the grocery store, and I mix in a bit of peanut butter to add some sweetness. You just mix one jar of the mole paste with the broth after you boil the chicken thighs. Then you shred the meat and mix it in with the sauce and serve over white rice.
    I also generally prefer white meat, and only use thighs for things like curries and or braising in whatever. I can accept that some folks genuinely prefer dark meat, but I hate when chefs go out of their way to turn up their nose at the idea of cooking chicken breasts. Feels very trendy with all these petulant shits on Food Network shows huffing and complaining how boring chicken breasts are. Oh wouldn't a chef's life be so grand if it weren't for all the annoying unsophisticated palettes they have to cook for.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 11-10-2014 at 04:27 PM.

For baby backs I do:

-Dry rub with brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper (I never measure)
    -2 hours at 225-250-
    -2 hours wrapped in foil at 225-250 (use foil to envelope the racks, pour a little beer or apple juice in it to help steam)
    -Unwrap the ribs and baste with sauce and cook uncovered until preferred done-ness (usually another hour at 225-250).

For sauce, I make a bourbon based bbq sauce that works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    What kind of white wine do you use for this? I just made it and used some Chardonnay I had open in the fridge - I know I should be using a dry wine but I went for it anyway cus I forgot to pick one up at the store. The end result was way too sweet for my liking. I've also got to get better at actually frying/browning chicken before letting it simmer in a sauce.

Loca, I'm going to try that chicken cacciatore later in the week thanks!
    Last edited by guedita; 11-10-2014 at 07:43 PM.

3/6: Steffi, Virginia @ Mighty
    3/14: Simian Mobile Disco b2b Roman Flugel, JPhlip @ PW
    3/21: Cymbals Eat Guitars @ GAMH
    3/21: Adam X @ TBA
    3/23: HINDS @ Rickshaw Stop
    3/24: Tim Hecker, Oren Ambarchi @ The Independent
    4/6: Hookworms, Disappears @ The Rickshaw Stop

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

crisp dry whites like some Sauvignon Blancs or Pinot Grigios generally are best for cooking IMO.

That's good to know. I have the same trouble cooking with wine. There is a garlic shrimp scampi I have been wanting to try that calls for wine. I might try that this week. Thanks!

What kind of white wine do you use for this?
    pinot grigio, my standby white for cooking.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'd like some tips and/or recipes for making mashed potatoes. i don't care if they have chunks, but i do like them somewhat creamy. thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I start with 3-5lbs of baby reds (depending on how many leftovers I plan to eat) I peel half and just scrub the rest, boil in heavily salted water, and a spoon full of the canned roasted garlic they sell in the produce section at the grocery store. Once the potatoes can be stabbed easily with a fork I drain and put in 1/2 - to a whole stick of real butter, a little more garlic, salt, lots of pepper and enough milk and/or cream to get to the correct consistency.