Page 111 of 123 FirstFirst ... 106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 3676

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Use habaneros instead. Finding true scotch bonnets in Az would be difficult, while habaneros are easy.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    happy new year everyone! my friends and i are traveling to jamaica for a wedding and we want to try to cook caribbean jerk chicken before heading out. has anyone made this? any recipes or tips? i've never made anything remotely like this since i normally bake.
    There are a couple on the internet that I've played around with. True jerk is really difficult to replicate because of the pimento wood required to give it its authentic flavor. I read an article in Cooks Illustrated that tried to replicate it using ingredients that are able to be found in the US here: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...1-jerk-chicken. I don't have a print subscription so unless you have one that article may be difficult to obtain.

Flavor profile is slightly charred with prominent allspice flavor, sweetness and a lasting heat. Nothing overly herbaceous or spiced. I don't recall if I've used cinnamon/clove/nutmeg but if you do find a recipe like that err on the side of conservative with those spices since they blast through. The allspice can be used liberally.

I usually throw together a marinade pretty roughly using the following (I'm guessing at the measurements, so don't rely too much on this!):
    Allspice berries (whole) - 1 tbsp
    Fresh Ginger root - 1 1/2 Tbsp
    Green Onion - one bunch
    Fresh thyme - 10 sprigs
    Sugar (I prefer turbinado) - 1/4 cup
    Garlic - 5 cloves
    Orange Juice - 1 1/2 cup
    Vinegar - 1/4 cup
    Soy sauce or Maggi - 1/4 cup
    Scotch bonnets (or like Tom mentioned, habaneros will suffice) - depending on how spicy, maybe 3-4
    Lime juice - 1 lime
    Olive (not extra virgin) or other vegetable oil - about 1/4 cup
    Black pepper - about 1 tbsp
    Salt to taste

Throw all in a blender. If you don't have a Vitamix/ninja/blendtec/other high powered blender I'd use ground spices first. Marinate for 6 hours or so. Some people advocate marinating chicken for a longer time, but with an acidic marinade you don't want to end up with ceviche.

Some recipes will call for regular onion over green onion, but I stay away from those, green onion I believe is considered more authentic. You could sub out dry herbs for fresh but I'd advise against it. Soy sauce was always a bizarre ingredient to me, but most of the recipes I find use it.

Lastly, if you can, grill over charcoal or natural wood, if you have a gas grill that will do too (but not as preferred as the former). Oven baked really does it injustice. I usually use skinless dark meat (legs/thighs) on the bone, but if you use breasts watch them so they don't dry out. If you use skinned chicken consider separating the skin to allow the marinade to penetrate. Chicken on the bone takes approx. 45 min+ on a low heat. Go for low and slow with the chix, aim for carmelization. Due to the sugar content too high of heat will burn the shit out of your food, so really watch it.

Edit: this recipe isn't half bad http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.c...rk_chicken.htm
    Last edited by insbordnat; 01-06-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    There are a couple on the internet that I've played around with. True jerk is really difficult to replicate because of the pimento wood required to give it its authentic flavor. I read an article in Cooks Illustrated that tried to replicate it using ingredients that are able to be found in the US here: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...1-jerk-chicken. I don't have a print subscription so unless you have one that article may be difficult to obtain.

Flavor profile is slightly charred with prominent allspice flavor, sweetness and a lasting heat. Nothing overly herbaceous or spiced. I don't recall if I've used cinnamon/clove/nutmeg but if you do find a recipe like that err on the side of conservative with those spices since they blast through. The allspice can be used liberally.

I usually throw together a marinade pretty roughly using the following (I'm guessing at the measurements, so don't rely too much on this!):
    Allspice berries (whole) - 1 tbsp
    Fresh Ginger root - 1 1/2 Tbsp
    Green Onion - one bunch
    Fresh thyme - 10 sprigs
    Sugar (I prefer turbinado) - 1/4 cup
    Garlic - 5 cloves
    Orange Juice - 1 1/2 cup
    Vinegar - 1/4 cup
    Soy sauce or Maggi - 1/4 cup
    Scotch bonnets (or like Tom mentioned, habaneros will suffice) - depending on how spicy, maybe 3-4
    Lime juice - 1 lime
    Olive (not extra virgin) or other vegetable oil - about 1/4 cup
    Black pepper - about 1 tbsp
    Salt to taste

Throw all in a blender. If you don't have a Vitamix/ninja/blendtec/other high powered blender I'd use ground spices first. Marinate for 6 hours or so. Some people advocate marinating chicken for a longer time, but with an acidic marinade you don't want to end up with ceviche.

Some recipes will call for regular onion over green onion, but I stay away from those, green onion I believe is considered more authentic. You could sub out dry herbs for fresh but I'd advise against it. Soy sauce was always a bizarre ingredient to me, but most of the recipes I find use it.

Lastly, if you can, grill over charcoal or natural wood, if you have a gas grill that will do too (but not as preferred as the former). Oven baked really does it injustice. I usually use skinless dark meat (legs/thighs) on the bone, but if you use breasts watch them so they don't dry out. If you use skinned chicken consider separating the skin to allow the marinade to penetrate. Chicken on the bone takes approx. 45 min+ on a low heat. Go for low and slow with the chix, aim for carmelization. Due to the sugar content too high of heat will burn the shit out of your food, so really watch it.

Edit: this recipe isn't half bad http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.c...rk_chicken.htm
    that is super helpful, thank you! we are planning to grill. i was reading about the grills they make. if i had a home, i'd probably try to make one lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Macarons are always so very pretty, but I've always been resistant to try one because they've got ground almond in them. I do like almonds, whole or in pieces, but I DETEST almond paste and marzipan. But macarons come in flavors, so do you really get a heavy almond pasty taste from them? Weird question, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

No. The almond is fairly subtle, it's not a paste so you don't get that sort of cloying note.

That said, I've had way more bad macarons than good ones. Bad ones are so fucking disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

That's what I suspected. I don't wanna spend 3 bucks for one possibly bad bite-sized cookie. No way to tell if it's gonna be good. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

omg, just made ricotta, pasta dough, and 48 raviolis in six hours. my feet are killing me. does anyone use one of those floor kitchen pad things to stand on? i think i need one!
    These help my back/feet tremendously after standing for 8+ hours at work.
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-x-...4366012BK.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrLahey View Post
    These help my back/feet tremendously after standing for 8+ hours at work.
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-x-...4366012BK.html
    cool, i will look into that i wore my new nikes with padded heels while stretching mozzarella on saturday lol. and oh god 1% mozarella just isn't worth it.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    That's what I suspected. I don't wanna spend 3 bucks for one possibly bad bite-sized cookie. No way to tell if it's gonna be good. :/
    Yeah, not much you can do besides vet places through their reviews. Even with that, the odds are not great.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

There are a couple on the internet that I've played around with. True jerk is really difficult to replicate because of the pimento wood required to give it its authentic flavor.
    I've seen some sites where you can order/import pimento wood, but that is a lot of effort for a dish. This recipe is pretty close to the one I use, and it's damn tasty.

I tried making beef wellington for the first time tonight. Turned out pretty good, but I used chestnuts in the duxelle and I've never used/shelled chestnuts before. Never again...
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Chestnuts in a cast iron pan in the fire. Hoy fuck. Dangerous and delicious
    DREAM BIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    I've seen some sites where you can order/import pimento wood, but that is a lot of effort for a dish. This recipe is pretty close to the one I use, and it's damn tasty.
    Yeah, I was on a quest for a while to either buy pimento wood or grow a pimento tree and be able to use leaves/twigs/branches from time to time. If you can find that Cook's Illustrated article it's worth a read, they mimic the same aromatics/compounds from pimento with other common herbs using a foil pouch placed on coals.

Yeah, I was on a quest for a while to either buy pimento wood or grow a pimento tree and be able to use leaves/twigs/branches from time to time. If you can find that Cook's Illustrated article it's worth a read, they mimic the same aromatics/compounds from pimento with other common herbs using a foil pouch placed on coals.
    FYI, you can sign up for a free trial on cooks illustrated, but do have to enter credit card info. the card won't be charged for 14 days, i just put a note in my planner to cancel if i don't like it.

Cool, thanks

i know everyone is line-up mode right now, but i am fucking jonsing for asian food. i am on phase 1 of the south beach diet though, which means no carbs/sugar/alcohol. any suggestions for making a stir fry sauce or something?

i want to marry my new food processor. got a cuisinart for christmas, https://www.cuisinart.com/products/f...c-2011chb.html. it made pesto in no time. i've never had a nice processor, and i never realized it could do things like slice up a tomato too. i probably won't use the mixing features much since i prefer to mix by hand, but i am anxious to see if it will make kneading dough a lot easier since my hand mixer doesn't quite have the power.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Make another pie dough with it and you'll want to have babies with it.

i know everyone is line-up mode right now, but i am fucking jonsing for asian food. i am on phase 1 of the south beach diet though, which means no carbs/sugar/alcohol. any suggestions for making a stir fry sauce or something?
    unfortunately most asian stir fry sauces have some amount of sugar. Perhaps in part to balance the acid in the vinegar that's usually in it (or maybe that's BS, don't know).
    BUT: if you can find fermented black beans I highly recommend making your own black bean and garlic sauce. This goes well with beef (1lb) and onions (1 small, sliced), over rice.

2 tbsp fermented black beans, washed and dried
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 tsp ginger, grated
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp corn starch
    5 tbsp chicken stock or water

Maybe cut back on the vinegar if you skip the sugar, but you should probably add at least some sugar.

1) mash the beans with the garlic and ginger in a mortar/pestle into a paste (or use a spoon and a bowl if you haven't got one. your processor's probably too big for this).
    2) Mix the corn starch into a couple tsp of the stock, then combine the sugar and all the rest of the wet ingredients.

Add the paste to your stir fry first, get it to coat the meat as much as possible, then add the wet ingredients a minute or so later.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-13-2014 at 02:31 PM.

wow great suggestion! i actually found a black bean sauce i'm going to try. the whole no sugar thing ends this week anyway. thanks for the recipe though because i want to learn to make more sauces and flavorings on my own

actually if you have access to thai chiles and thai basil here's one of my favorite ~thai recipes that incorporates a food processor

My take on Krapow Gai (it may actually be closer to another traditional recipe with another name so if it looks familiar I'd be thrilled to year what it should be called)

2 tbs peanut or vegetable oil (or if you can find THIS or something similar, use it)
    4 cloves garlic minced
    1-4 thai chilies minced (red if you can find them. these pack a fucking punch)
    ~3/4 lbs chicken
    1 Tbs fish sauce
    1 1/2 tsp oyster sauce (optional)
    2 tsp palm sugar (substitute: brown sugar)
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    1 tsp corn starch
    pinch of white pepper
    1/2 small onion sliced
    1/2 red bell pepper sliced
    "a bunch" of Thai Basil leaves (traditionally the recipe calls for Holy basil but that's harder to find and I like the sweetness of regular thai basil)
    2 eggs (optional)

Prepping the chicken: meat grinder is ideal, but for processor: cut into smallish cubes, then put in processor and pulse a few times until it's chopped pretty fine (this will turn into ground beef type consistency with some larger chunks when it cooks)

as with most wok cooking, shit's gotta be hot so you cook fast. mise en place is key.

- combine fish sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, chicken stock, sugar, set aside
    - put oil in the wok and get it very hot
    - toss the garlic and chiles QUICKLY. like 10 seconds or so, don't let it burn.
    - Add chicken, stir vigorously to break up. it should cook quickly all ground up, like one minute
    - (if used) make a space in the wok to drop the beaten eggs, just as they begin to solidify stir them into the chicken
    - season with pinch of white pepper
    - add onion and bell pepper cook 30 seconds *
    - add sauce, cook about a minute, till it just begins to thicken up
    - add the basil leaves (I use a shitload. maybe add to taste), toss till they wilt

serve over jasmine rice.

* NOTE: I usually add veggies late in a stir fry because I like them still somewhat firm. Lots of folks generally add them before the sauce. Up to you.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Not fancy like a lot of dishes here, but I bit and bought one of those potato express things. I made two large grilled twice baked potatoes with cheese on top, a cup of peas, and a grilled bacon wrapped eye of sirloin. The cost was around $3.00 and it took less than 15 minutes and I never had to turn on the oven at all. I was quite pleased. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Around 3 dollars for two potatoes, cheese, peas, eye of sirloin and bacon? Are you still living in the 60s?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I think we can confirm that Ron robbed a butcher...

I got some stand mixer pasta attachments for Xmas and made fresh pasta for the first time this week. It's not nearly as hard as I thought. I made this last night:

Beet spaghetti tossed in garlic/basil infused olive oil, chili flakes and sundried tomatoes. Topped with fresh basil, ricotta and pine nuts.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Around 3 dollars for two potatoes, cheese, peas, eye of sirloin and bacon? Are you still living in the 60s?
    It might have been a bit more. I bought the two steaks for $3.00 (they are dated to be sold by tomorrow but they were fresh, red and bloody. Usually $8.00 for two so this time $1.50 each and I cooked one) A 1/3 cup of peas ($1 a can so about 1/3 can) $.34. Potatoes $1.50 a bag so about $.30 for the potatoes. Cheese was out of a giant bag of grated cheese from Costco so around $.20. Large slice of Texas toast with garlic butter on it. $.15. That comes to $2.49. Add a large iced sparkling cranberry cocktail (Soda stream $.10 for sparkling H2O and a tbl of frozen cranberry juice stuff $.10) $.20 maybe. Vanilla Greek yogurt with blue agave mixed in for dessert with a cup of Café du Monde chicory coffee and cream. I picked up some in NOLA during VooDoo. Maybe $.25. So really about $4.15 or so but I didn't mention toast, drink, coffee or dessert b4.

This should be under the confession thread but no no. I can't seem to not wash my iron skillets. If you make gravy, eggs, etc in them, you can't just friggin wipe them out. I do spray them down with Pam each time I wash them.... grrrr

cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

let the damn pan soak in hot water for a sec and then you can just friggin wipe them out.

you should probably just start from scratch, scrub the pan down to the iron, then season it properly a couple times. Then you wont have this issue.

And going forward you don't have to get the thing spotless after each use. That's the whole point actually, it's supposed to collect burned grease coating over time. As long as your food gets hot enough to actually cook it you're not dealing with any food safety issues.

Made Snickerdoodle bread last night. Noms.

http://lilluna.com/snickerdoodle-bread/
    5/20 - Noel Gallagher
    5/21-5/24 - Lightning in a Bottle
    7/9 - Widowspeak
    8/22-8/23 - FYF

I'm in love with my pressure cooker. Risotto in 7 minutes? Curries or beef bourguignon in 20 minutes? Yes please!
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

I am currently eating soup that reminds me a lot of a big bowl peanut satay sauce. This is a good thing.

(Link to Almond Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato, Collards, and Ginger)

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Why the fuck is it such a challenge to find a decent skillet with a fucking lid
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I just mix and match my skillets with lids from pots. This is not a very elegant solution. However, I do think that All-Clad has some nice options for skillet/lid combos.