Page 7 of 285 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    You know what's funny?

There's enough people in this band for me to do a Band Member of the week thing for nearly three months.

Just a thought...
    Do it already. I also give long-hair Will the edge over mid-90s Beck, but just barely. And Glasto 2010 shall have Arcade Fire, Beck and Portishead, and all will be right in the world. Seems more like a suspension bridge to me, but I like it.

Default Re: MissingPerson's Official Lovely Non-Threatening Arcade Fire Joy Parade.

I don't really have anything to add, I just really wanted to look at this picture more.

Good God.

Furthermore:

For the record, I've blanked out her face not to be all Single White Female creepy, but just because the good lady herself ain't in the public arena already, so it didn't seem fair. And I've no idea where that photo came from.

didnt that photo come from an article in montreal about their wedding?

Very possibly, looks like a scan. I only have the photo on it's own.

if anyone's interested, i did a review of miroir noir for my college paper that ran today

http://dailytrojan.com/lifestyle/arc...een_in_new_doc

Nifty.

It's weird to me how few review are around for it though, I presume there'll be a few more when the physical disc gets out there.

Apparently there's a shot of some/ all playing at some of the Obama inauguration stuff. Win did a solo set a while back for a Rainn Wilson charity thing, so hey, maybe that.

Get to know a band member!

Richard Reed Parry

Also Known As:
    Richard Parry, Guy who looks sort of like Napoleon Dynamite,"You know, the ginger one?".

Some people call him Richie - please be aware that unless you actually know the guy, this is creepy as hell. All the red headed kids who are clearly Single White Female-ing him at shows are equally disquieting, particularly when they settle together in groups in a fashion not unlike The Children of the Damned.

Richard Reed Parry plays guitar, accordian, double bass, celesta and a shitload of other weird shit. Excepting Win and Régine, he's been in the band longer than any of 'em. When and if he ever goes, the band that remains won't be the Arcade Fire, as far as I'm concerned.

As well as Arcade Fire, he also chipped in with Unicorns and Islands. He's also in Bell Orchestre, an absolutely fantastic instrumental bunch, who should hurry the fuck up and release their second album already, because I came late in the game to their first one and it was surprisingly awesome.

He is said to have studied contemporary dance. Though not implausible, this also sounds suspiciously like something the band might have made up. I'd bet my fucking teeth he's a vegetarian, but I'm unsure as to why I'm so totally convinced of this.

He is an outstanding guitarist and genuinely gifted musician in his own right. Having studied electroacoustics, he likes doing weird sound effecty things - best demonstrated in Antichrist Television Blues - and playing weird old timey instruments that nobody's ever heard of - see Well & The Lighthouse. If Arcade Fire were to have an exchange programme with Radiohead, he'd be the guy they'd send.

Once I high fived him. I'm quite certain it was a defining moment in his life. However, I have not quite forgiven him for since inadvertantly suggesting in an interview that Arcade Fire's Irish audience is disproportionately drunk and toothless. He is well known for sneaking ticketless folk into shows, and this was in fact how the band first met Vincent Moon.

He's a nice dude.

He is aware of how closely he resembles Napoleon Dynamite.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 01-18-2009 at 07:13 PM.

He's cuuuuute
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Plus he might actually literally be Dancer.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

you mean he's not napoleon dynamite?

haha that was good...any more band member profiles?

About eleven more, yes.

The many moods.... of Richard.

Interview:

The Price is Right:

With Bell Orchestre:

With Bowie, complete with mid song instrument swap.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    About eleven more, yes.
    haha really?

post them...or give a link

I'm working on the next one.

It's hard. They like to keep quiet about themselves, and music journalists are lazy, so there's a lot of weird shit floating around that's either only half true or just blatantly insane. Their sense of humour doesn't help either, I'd bet you any money that most of the weirder myths were started by the band.

And by "the band", I mean Will. He once told a journalist that Win sleeps in a coffin.

William Pierce Butler

Also Known As:
    "Holy Fucking Shit, He's Going To Fucking Die", William Abraham Butler, Guy With The Gold Drum, Will.

William Pierce Butler, Win’s brother, hails from The Woodlands, Texas. Their great grandfather was Alvino Rey. Rey was an early electric instrument pioneer, partly responsible for the electric guitar as we know it. More on him when I get to Win.

There’s a very, very early Arcade Fire song about him. It's more or less a Win solo. Song's not great, but the sentiment is sweet. Presumably this was well before he was a proper member of the band, because it must be really fucking weird to help nine people sing a song about you.

Fittingly for somebody apparently named after Yeats, he studied Poetry and Slavic studies at Northwestern University, where he also worked on the radio station. He got a research grant to study rock music in Communist Czechoslovakia. He lent his voice to a number of student animations, the best known being Run, Leia, Run. It’s his voice on the Neon Bible infomercial pretending to be Richard. Although he did work on Funeral, he wasn't always on tour for it because he was still completing his college course. In the event, he completed his coursework between shows; but not before having to show a cynical lecturer that he really was in the band with a Time magazine cover he was on.

Should you stumble across an internet post claiming to be by Will, brilliantly, it probably is. He has a tendency to take it personally when the band are accused of inadvertent racism by Sasha Frere Jones, and has been known to lurk around fan forums and blogs under a variety of amusing aliases. His response to the blog accusing Win of stealing a basketball was one of the funniest things on the internet, although sadly the page is now gone.

Will plays guitar, synths, glockenspiel, the signature battered old gold drum, and some manner of woodwind, but seems to be most comfortable with bass. He’s been known to take over vocals for special occasions, as for their cover of Guns of Brixton. He was (is?) also a member of Citizens On Patrol, a fun ska-tinged rock outfit that I'm fairly sure is more or less defunct now.

But he’s best known for his ferociously energetic stage presence with Arcade Fire. He flings stuff around, he climbs shit, he leaps, he falls, he frequently almost dies, he hammers instruments to death with some regularity, and all without losing a limb or missing a beat. Such is Will's astonishing disregard for safety that Win has suggested he prefers not to watch him while they perform, in case he accidentally gets to see his brother die mid-show. His passion for violence is not, however, limited to himself - he once set Régine’s hair on fire, and, on a separate occasion, dropped Richard on his head hard enough to crack apart a crash helmet.

I shook his hand once, and am certain this was as important a moment for him as it was for me. His hands were covered in blood, I presume from knocking seven sorts of hell out of the glockenspiel. I told him he was a crazy bastard; he took this well enough to suggest he hears it a lot.

He may or may not be a Mormon, but the only source for this is famousmormons.net. Although plausible - Alvino Rey converted later in life - I'm pretty dubious about that website because nearly every carbon-based lifeform short of the Pope himself has been on it at some point. They have finally taken Win off though.

He is quite unfeasibly handsome.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 01-20-2009 at 04:33 PM.

The many moods.... of Will.

Interview:

Citizens On Patrol:

Climbing shit:

Singing for Guns of Brixton:

Neighbourhood #2 (Laika) at Reading:

when Arcade does not put a smile on your face - you know you are hurting for the lineup

excellent!

Skip to the Sarah profile
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Iv3rdawG, you're always a man of discerning tastes.

The Sarah profile's going to be a pain in the arse though. That girl's a ninja, it's like she didn't exist before 2004.

Marika would be fine too
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

profile of just touring members?

Sarah Neufeld

Also Known As:
    S-Balls, apparently.

In a band particularly good at being secretive, Sarah Neufeld is the very best at it. Her official blog contains exactly one post, dating from several years ago. It's got a few lines and a photo of her cat. I know barely anything about this girl, and it seems to me that's how she likes it. We'll give this a shot though.

As stated in said blog post, Sarah is 29, comes from Vancouver Island, likes cats, and is very much a vegetarian. Like every vegetarian I've ever known, she likes cooking; people tend to be oddly suspicous of vegetarians, and if they can't cook things other than risotto for themselves they'll die of starvation, boredom and anaemia. The (apparently very good) vegan living guide Get It Ripe has her ringing endorsement.

EDIT: This is, it seems, no longer true, or perhaps never was. Moral of the story, she's a carnivore now.

Apparently, she'd like to call her autobiography "I Can't Believe I Ate The Whole Thing", and warns that sometimes she plays so hard she wants to barf. She also likes Yoga, and it worries me that she might secretly be a full-on hippy.

Sarah Neufeld is the only member of Arcade Fire who pretty much sticks to a single instrument. Since this instrument is a violin - and very damn good with it she is too - she can't quite be accused of slacking. When she was a kid she did ballet, and was once arrested for shoplifting, although she insists the charges were bogus.

She's joked that she only really considered herself a full member of the band when Google declared her as such. As far as I can gather, she was introduced to Win and Régine by Richard, and rumour has it they were an item once upon a time. I cannot and will not vouch for this scurrilous bit of gossip, but I'm a lazy writer, so I'll mention it anyway. She and Richard are also in Bell Orchestre together, and, as I've said before, they're really fucking good so go and listen to them. She also contributed to Plants & Animals' Parc Avenue, having gone to music school with 'em.

As of Neon Bible, she and Colin Stetson - who was playing the comically disproportionate baritone sax and French horn for Arcade Fire - were very most definitely a thing, and she's been known to crop up in his solo shows.

Sarah has two distinct kind of fans - the kind who are genuinely obsessive to a frightening degree, and the kind who'd like to make sure she never, ever sees those people. These two groups are destined to clash bliblically on every occasion until the end of time. Personally, it bothers me how many photos there are out there of a fan with a notably freaked out looking Sarah Neufeld. I think we've got a good thing going in our interaction with this band, and I'd like to not ruin it by creeping them the fuck out.

Or indeed, knocking them out - she was once accidentally punched in the face during a stage invasion the band invited. The band stopped inviting stage invasions thereafter.

I have had no interaction whatsoever with Sarah Neufeld, but feel certain that if I did ever meet her, it would be as important for her as it would be for me. I suspect that she might have been one of the posters who came to Win's defence during the Basketball/Blog saga. If this is the case, Will says she's shit at catching rebounds because she's too polite to mark properly. She is, however, able to physically carry Jeremy Gara. Whether this means she's freakishly strong, or he's unusually light for a drummer, I can't say.

Her speaking voice is uncannily like that of Scarlett Johansson.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 02-17-2011 at 07:31 PM.

The many moods.... of Sarah.

This interview here, with Jeremy and Nardwuar, is the only recorded interview I know of. It's funny. Nardwuar's voice makes me want to tear my earsdrums out.

Les Lumieres, sort of a short about the audience and band during the Bell Orchestre song:

Vampire/ Forest Fire:

Rebellion (Lies), taking Owen Pallett down, down to the damn ground.

No Cars Go:

Well, I'll be damned.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...e-arcade-fire/

It gets even better. Word out today is that Arcade Fire, the super-popular Indie rock group, has come to Washington to play a private party for Mr. Obama’s staff members at The Armory.

I had a major infatuation with Sarah a few years ago..MAJOR

I can dig it.

The violin, man. It's all about the violin.