Page 80 of 96 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2858

Thread: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

Default Re: The Default Thread: Music Edition.

Any of you guys able to figure who the special guest is?
    Translation

Swans @ Terminal West 03/28/15
    Drive like Jehu @ The Glass House 04/08/15
    Electric Wizard @ Slims 04/17/15
    Acid Mother Temple @ BOTM 04/18/15
    Faith No More @ the Warfield 04/20/15
    John Zorn @ UCLA 05/02/15
    Will Bulter @ Slims 05/26/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15
    Mariah Carey @ Caesars palace 06/11/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

when I google search the naked and famous, the little band bio that google shows describes them as a "New Zealand post-punk revival band from Auckland".

listening to them, is this really what post-punk revival means? maybe New Zealand had a unique kind of post-punk that is being revived here...

New Zealand post-punk, in general, was better than UK or US post-punk. One man's opinion, but their post punk took the Joy Division sound to extremes or invented lo-fi guitar pop. So unless the Naked and Famous are an awesome act repping the Clean, the Chills, This Kind of Punishment, the Dead C or their ilk, they can fuck themselves in their ignorant asses.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

to be fair, it's google that calls them that. I'm not sure whether the band make such a claim.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It says that on Wikipedia as well, along with synthpop and indie.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Ahh, well, at least initially New Wave was considered in the same vein as Post-Punk, as that Simon Reynolds book, Rip it Up and Start Again, readily illustrates. But yeah, there's no blaming New Zealand for them, as their independent music scene is much better than that.

To the point that i personally distinguish New Wave and synthpop as 2 different things, which started when someone described Joe Jackson's "I'm The Man" as new wave.

I actually like The Naked and The Famous, though this resembles post punk in no way, shape, nor form (though it's a fucking catchy song)

It's HIGHLY possible they have earlier work that we haven't been exposed to that is "post punk revival" though, and they ended up totally changing their sound.

I mean, if you look at Killing Joke's wikipedia, the first thing it says is "Killing Joke are an English post-punk band formed in October 1978 in Notting Hill, London, England," and they have albums that are as far removed from post punk as this (and it's shown as such in the wiki genre colum: Post-punk, gothic rock, electronic, industrial, industrial rock,industrial metal).
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Man, sometimes i forget how actually amazing Jawbreaker was, and then I listen to some Jawbreaker, and I'm like...."OH YEAH they were legitimately amazing."
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    To the point that i personally distinguish New Wave and synthpop as 2 different things, which started when someone described Joe Jackson's "I'm The Man" as new wave.
    I agree. Tom and I had a discussion about defining new wave a few months ago.

The post punk label is difficult because it overlaps the period of "new wave" as distinct from the largely synth-based stuff that followed it (which people also call "new wave" as well). I mean, I say Elvis Costello and Talking Heads are new wave, and Wire and Gang of Four are post punk, and that distinction sounds right, but I have no idea why.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

So I found this gem from the 80's the other day. The rest of the album isn't as good but this song DESERVES A LISTEN. Pure psych bliss

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I agree. Tom and I had a discussion about defining new wave a few months ago.

The post punk label is difficult because it overlaps the period of "new wave" as distinct from the largely synth-based stuff that followed it (which people also call "new wave" as well). I mean, I say Elvis Costello and Talking Heads are new wave, and Wire and Gang of Four are post punk, and that distinction sounds right, but I have no idea why.
    Axiom 1: The Velvet Underground developed two distinct sounds :
    1. Motown influenced pop
    2. Dissonant atonal noise.

Axiom 2: Early NYC punk and the music associated with it developed in 3 distinct sounds:
    1. The accessibly modern themes of Harry Toledo, Blondie, Shirts, probably beginning with Talking Heads '77
    2. The garage and hardcore sounds of the Ramons, Heartbreakers etc.
    3. The grandiose experimentalism of Television, Patti Smith etc.

Axiom 3: Post-Punk, New Wave, and No Wave are all valid and distinguishable terms, each taking a greater influence from one of earlier sounds than the others.

I not know, I took a shot

VigoTheCarpathian

Sonic Youth, Half Jananese <- DNA, Teenage Jesus, Theoretical Girls <- Suicide -> Talking Heads -> Echo and the Bunnymen
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 08-02-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Fuck Death Grips.

I've not ever considered myself much a fan of their stuff, but they've squandered any good will I may have had for them with a year's worth of childish behavior, first with their label and then with their fans. The label thing wasn't punk rock; it was just stupid. What's even more stupid is just not showing up to a show that your fans paid for and that you booked. Or cancelling a tour because you want to record another album. Pricks.

I'm so used to listening to the Beach Boys from Pet Sounds onward, and it's been so entertaining and joyful listening to Endless Summer tonight, as inspired by "Help Me, Rhonda" playing over the closing credits of Mud, which people should watch.

I have 10 song names on my iPad that all start with the word Take

Runners up are We, What, and One
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Dolly Parton's "Jolene" slowed down to 33 rpm:

5/22: Move D, Reaganz, Sassmouth @ Monarch
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/29: Spoon @ The Fox Theater, Oakland
    5/29: Max Cooper EMERGENCE @ PW
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent
    6/6: Matthew Dear, Daniel Bortz @ Public Works
    6/12: Christian Loeffler @ TBA
    6/17: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah @ The Independent
    6/21: Underworld, Jungle @ The Hollywood Bowl
    6/25: Until the Ribbon Breaks @ The Rickshaw Stop

The VMA'S don't seem to be pushing DP very much. I am sort of surprised... cr*****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Fuck Death Grips.

I've not ever considered myself much a fan of their stuff, but they've squandered any good will I may have had for them with a year's worth of childish behavior, first with their label and then with their fans. The label thing wasn't punk rock; it was just stupid. What's even more stupid is just not showing up to a show that your fans paid for and that you booked. Or cancelling a tour because you want to record another album. Pricks.
    Waaaaaaaaa. It's about time that musicians remember that music isn't about the fans. Thank Gods. Cool, you like seeing a good show. That' superb of you. Does it mean that you matter? What positive legacy are you leaving behind? So what, a bunch of fans went home and had to smoke their pot watching tv. Boohoo man. They may write an album that will change the world instead of playing for your crybaby ass. It's much more likely that they'll create a real steamer of an album, but that's beside the point.

This whole, "We wouldn't be shit without the fans," is total artistic submission. They wouldn't be rich and doing good blow without the fans. They'd have to work, like the fans, and create more opportunity for fans to become someone without the fans. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Your war cry is sounding a lot like, "Fuck Artists! I want a show regardless!," when, if you were any kind of fan of art itself, you would realize the potential of the move... but what do I know, right?

I learned one thing from the VMAs.

1240655_10151609456422169_277368912_n.jpg

If you hate Steely Dan yet have no problem with this Mayer Hawthorne song, you're a damn hypocrite.

5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/23 - Ceremony - Echoplex (?)
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy
    5/27 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Warner Grand (?)
    5/30 - Spoon - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

favorite/best EP's of all time... go.

Mine is MBV's You Made Me Realise EP

5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium
    5/8 Stephin Merritt @ The Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetary
    5/30 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets
    6/4 The Mountain Goats @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/15 Shellac @ The Regent Theater DTLA

We have an entire thread for that, but it's really hard to search for: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...ur-favorite-EP
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    We have an entire thread for that, but it's really hard to search for: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...ur-favorite-EP
    Ha, yeah I tried searching for it but I had no luck. Thanks though, I'm gonna dig in there 'cause I already see some stuff I haven't heard.

5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium
    5/8 Stephin Merritt @ The Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetary
    5/30 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets
    6/4 The Mountain Goats @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/15 Shellac @ The Regent Theater DTLA

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    The early pages of this thread serves as a reminder of how many quality posters have gone missing in the past couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I'm not sure how many of you guys listen to poscasts but Wtf with Marc Maron has had some pretty cool music guests and he always does good interviews. Recently, he's had MJK, Thom Yorke, and Nick Cave among others. Just throwing that out there in case anyone is interested.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    The early pages of this thread serves as a reminder of how many quality posters have gone missing in the past couple years.
    The group reaction to new posters of any quality should explain, at least partly, why the overall quality of posts has diminished. It's pretty special to have a group of core boardies who take their relationship past the internet, but you sort of have to remember that this is a general forum, and the more the group fights the new people, the more the groupies of quality will lose interest in the fight, and the more the new people of quality will just go somewhere else.

It sort of sounds like the guy who finds himself friendless, and then curses everyone for it. It is what it is, guys. If you immediately call everything trash, then everything will start looking like trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    I'm not sure how many of you guys listen to poscasts but Wtf with Marc Maron has had some pretty cool music guests and he always does good interviews. Recently, he's had MJK, Thom Yorke, and Nick Cave among others. Just throwing that out there in case anyone is interested.
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking for non-sports related podcasts to listen to.

Courtney Barnett - 6/5 - The Mohawk
    The Avett Brothers/Old Crow Medicine Show - 6/27 - Whitewater Amphitheater
    Death Grips - 7/18 - The Mohawk
    Kraftwerk - 9/25 - Bass Concert Hall

I listened to the Nick Cave and Iggy Pop ones, they were pretty good. I've been meaning to really dig into his back episodes, but it's a huge collection and not all of them are available for free, although a lot of them can be dug up various places.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The Louis CK one is pretty great. I believe it's on youtube, along with the Conan, Judd Apatow, Andy Dick, Chris Rock, Bill Lawerence, Fiona Apple episodes which i would recommend. The Michael Ian Black ones are fun to listen to just to hear them dig at each other. But, really, not many bad ones.
    Last edited by buddy; 08-31-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    The one he did with John Darnielle was quite good.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.