Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I noticed about the crowd for both weekends

Default What I noticed about the crowd for both weekends

Couple things I noticed this year regarding the audience. This was my 5th year and 8th overall event of Coachella.

Someone touched on it, but def the most racially diverse crowd. I liked this.

The crowd was not very open to listening to a variety of music this year I found. Anything before 5-7 PM was DEAD unlike other years. And the off the beaten path artists were looking at terribly small crowds. I think carpenter played to 80 people or so.

Crowd was actually better weekend 1 this year as far as being less douchey and very fun socially to be around. Weekend 2 I found everyone was very much in their own groups not socializing like I have found previous bothchellas. I found there to be a little less chaos this year and people were quite respectful overall - def a plus.

Artists didn't like people camping out for Beyonce's set it looked like (Chromeo said something during their show and I heard HAIM did or they mentioned it in an interview after) . It also appeared on the Saturdays Beyonce played, things were more crowded in the main area but food vendors and alcohol areas were less dense. I wonder overall what GV found from booking such a huge artist if it affected their bottom line on days beyonce wasn't playing due to people not being there or only showing up for big name artists and not fully seeing the other artists on the undercard.

Although Beyonce was easily the most hyped artist they have ever booked from what I've seen, I'd say 50-60% of people I casually talked to said they stayed for less than half her show and ended up being bored before leaving...or they 'got their fill' as they put it. Overall I found Eminem to be the best, most fun crowd both weekends over. Most people saying the show was a surprise at how much fun they eventually ended up having.

Just my 2 cents for this - I'd like to hear some other feedback.

Default Re: What I noticed about the crowd for both weekends

Yeah, I mostly agree. Knowing it was Beyonce for 15 months gave people who wanted just to see her a chance to plan their vacations, and those people really didn't show up for anyone else. I think artists like JMJ and APC would've had a big crowd any other year, but a huge amount of Beyhive people just couldn't care less for anyone else. I'm glad it's over, and I hope it isn't done again. Coachella is a music festival, and should not be focused on just one headliner like that.

I noticed Sunday having a large amount of secondary resale, so I think lots came out for Eminmem, particularly week 2. The makeup of the crowd seemed a lot different to me on Sunday, and people were out earlier.

Hopefully they'll start doing artist-specific pit waiting areas, as Bonnaroo does. Dead crowds sitting for Main Stage acts that aren't the one they care about is a shame. Let people who care take that space!

As for crowd attitute, I was bumped into much more (standing by myself with multiple feet of space around me in all directions) weekend 1, but maybe there were more drunk people out.

I think the douche-ness ticked up a couple notches - the bros holding their Frisbees up during David Byrne, the guy with the backpack taking photos at WoD that weaseled into the rail and just stayed there, the campers just sitting at the Main on Saturday while Chic was playing, the dude turned around staring at his friends during GVF. That said, the chit-chat during sets was down this year at least.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

I simultaneously felt like W2 had the best and worst crowds I'd ever experienced.

I agree about racial diversity, and also I'd add age diversity. At first it felt like Coachella was just for the early adapters and true music friends, then hipsters took over, then spoiled white trust fund babies, and now I think it's for everybody. There are good and bad things about that. I think mostly good, but then there are moments like when Post Malone overflows the Sahara and St. Vincent played to a smaller than expected crowd that make me question how Coachella can continue to book the type of acts they want to book.

From the stretch of outdoor through Mojave, the best crowds I've ever experienced, although dishearteningly small at times. The main stage Saturday was a dumpster fire. It was awful. We were far enough back for CHIC and Chromeo that it was a party, but the whole front was silent if not sitting down. For Beyonce's show, we were sort of close and I regret being even that close. Pushing, shoving, squishing. It was terrible. This guy shoved himself in front of my wife when everybody was already shoulder to shoulder, and I told him to get back, and then his girl friend started mouthing off at us but we held our ground and they did move. We should have just watched from way farther back.

On the shuttles in on Day 1 and 2 from our hotel, we were lining up in that 1:00-1:30 range and everybody was super nice. We made such good friends with people on the shuttle that we even met up with them later in the weekend inside the festival. Sunday we were dragging and got in line at 3:00...holy shit. The wildest and rudest young crowd I've ever seen at this festival. We met this young group of college students who were actually really nice, so it's not just about age, but just some bad behavior. The line was really long and this group of 15 or so younger kids tried to sneak behind us and the other young group and pretended like they were our friends. We called them out on it and they threw a fit and still pushed in front of a lot of people.

Overall, VIP beer gardens and the Beer Barn side of the beer garden had really good crowds, I felt. The other side of the Sahara beer garden was a bit wilder. It really felt like Sahara was one crowd, main stage a bridge, and outdoor/Mojave a different one entirely.

I really don't know. There were times this weekend where I have never felt the Coachella magic stronger, and times where I just felt exhausted mentally. While most of the Beyhive members I met were really fun and totally throwing themselves into the whole experience, there seemed to be another set that had no respect for the festival at all. I thought Beyonce was a great headliner but knowing she was playing a year in advance ABSOLUTELY had an affect on crowd dynamics.
    Last edited by travelfan; 04-26-2018 at 10:12 AM.

There really needs to be a no towels/blankets rule in the pockets in front of the stages.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I simultaneously felt like W2 had the best and worst crowds I'd ever experienced.

I agree about racial diversity, and also I'd add age diversity. At first it felt like Coachella was just for the early adapters and true music friends, then hipsters took over, then spoiled white trust fund babies, and now I think it's for everybody. There are good and bad things about that. I think mostly good, but then there are moments like when Post Malone overflows the Sahara and St. Vincent played to a smaller than expected crowd that make me question how Coachella can continue to book the type of acts they want to book.

From the stretch of outdoor through Mojave, the best crowds I've ever experienced, although dishearteningly small at times. The main stage Saturday was a dumpster fire. It was awful. We were far enough back for CHIC and Chromeo that it was a party, but the whole front was silent if not sitting down. For Beyonce's show, we were sort of close and I regret being even that close. Pushing, shoving, squishing. It was terrible. This guy shoved himself in front of my wife when everybody was already shoulder to shoulder, and I told him to get back, and then his girl friend started mouthing off at us but we held our ground and they did move. We should have just watched from way farther back.

On the shuttles in on Day 1 and 2 from our hotel, we were lining up in that 1:00-1:30 range and everybody was super nice. We made such good friends with people on the shuttle that we even met up with them later in the weekend inside the festival. Sunday we were dragging and got in line at 3:00...holy shit. The wildest and rudest young crowd I've ever seen at this festival. We met this young group of college students who were actually really nice, so it's not just about age, but just some bad behavior. The line was really long and this group of 15 or so younger kids tried to sneak behind us and the other young group and pretended like they were our friends. We called them out on it and they threw a fit and still pushed in front of a lot of people.

Overall, VIP beer gardens and the Beer Barn side of the beer garden had really good crowds, I felt. The other side of the Sahara beer garden was a bit wilder. It really felt like Sahara was one crowd, main stage a bridge, and outdoor/Mojave a different one entirely.

I really don't know. There were times this weekend where I have never felt the Coachella magic stronger, and times where I just felt exhausted mentally. While most of the Beyhive members I met were really fun and totally throwing themselves into the whole experience, there seemed to be another set that had no respect for the festival at all. I thought Beyonce was a great headliner but knowing she was playing a year in advance ABSOLUTELY had an affect on crowd dynamics.
    I feel almost the EXACT same way. Every NON-Main Stage crowd was next to perfect this year I thought, but as soon as you ventured even NEAR the Main stage, 99% of people were just fucking garbage. I think I brought up this anecdote before, but while waiting for Chic at the Main (granted I got pretty close), a group of 6 women all sitting down who were easily taking up enough space for 15 people started giving me the WORST shit, even though they still had plenty, and I mean PLENTY of space, as it was literally just me moving into a very open spot. "Yo, is this skinny ass white boy REALLLLLLY going to stand right there?" "This little punk white boy better fuckin move, or it's gonna go down.", shit like that. Luckily as soon as Nile walked on stage, I totally forgot about them and they chilled the fuck out. It was an amazing set, but literally every single act that was on the Main would have had a MUCH more fun set by just being on the Outdoor.

I only saw probably 4 Main Stage acts this year, so it really wasn't that much of a detriment to my festival experience this year. That said, from now on whenever they put an act I like on the Main instead of the Outdoor, I'm going to be pissed.
    Last edited by mikey1313; 04-26-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

It really did feel like two different festivals this year, that just happened to be sharing the same grounds and would cross paths with one another at the Main stage from time to time. It'll be interesting to see if it's like that next year too.

In general, it seemed less crowded, and with less obnoxious people, but the acts I saw mostly had small crowds--it was really awkward. I stayed away from the Main stage, and only went there for Portugal. the Man, who had a decent crowd, but it was not packed.

I'm still using a cane to venture across the polo fields, as I have balance issues due to chemo, and so many people tripped over my cane--really got old fast. I didn't see this happen in previous years.

As far as racial diversity: I did notice a lot more people of color this year. However, they mostly seemed to be on a different "track" than I was. When I showed up at the end of a set which was "urban" (R&B, Hip Hop, Soul, etc) there were a lot of black people there, and the disabled platform was 90% black; this was especially true at acts that I did not care for. When the act ended, they *all* left to go to the next act. I noticed a lot of white people also at these acts, but at the rock, indie, or EDM acts there were mostly white people; Greta Van Fleet could have been playing in Sweden . Do black people not like rock music, even if the musicians are black? For example Benjamin Booker had a small, mostly white crowd. Same with the more niche acts earlier in the day, like Moses Sumney or Benjamin Clementine.

From Couchella it appeared that everybody there was on cough syrup.

Sunday we were dragging and got in line at 3:00...holy shit. The wildest and rudest young crowd I've ever seen at this festival.
    How was the traffic going in on the shuttle Sunday? We went in on a real early shuttle and it zipped right in as usual, then I read a lot of comments from people saying driving in was a nightmare on Sunday because of traffic. Just wondering if the shuttle taking its own route bypassed thaat.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    How was the traffic going in on the shuttle Sunday? We went in on a real early shuttle and it zipped right in as usual, then I read a lot of comments from people saying driving in was a nightmare on Sunday because of traffic. Just wondering if the shuttle taking its own route bypassed thaat.
    Was totally fine. Quickest day in if anything. The designated shuttle route makes it super easy.

Good to know, thanks.

This sums up my thoughts too. On one hand I was thrilled that EDM FINALLY got demoted a couple notches in favor of anything else (in this case hip hop & R&B), because IMO anything beats the white bros who have infested Coachella over the past 8 years. Furthermore, I think it's great that people of more diverse backgrounds got to experience Coachella for the first time. But on the other hand, it's been sad to have so few alt/indie acts to look forward to this year (especially in light of the Life is Beautiful lineup that just got dropped... how have I never heard of that fest, and how is their lineup SO GOOD!). It makes me wonder if Coachella will ever bother reuniting legendary acts, or if they're now saving all that for a Desert Trip. It just makes me sad that very few people go to Coachella for indie/alt anymore, especially from the 80s/90/00s. I may need to supplement Coachella with a 2nd or 3rd festival every year now.

I AM curious, though, about the future musical direction Coachella plans to take. Is Coachella going to remain the pop fest that it's become, or will they possibly try to maintain their original reputation as the pioneer of modern music festivals?
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1|2], 13[2], 14[2], 15[1], 16[2], 17[2], 18[2]
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12, 17
    Nerd Project:
    www.coacheller.com

there are moments like when Post Malone overflows the Sahara and St. Vincent played to a smaller than expected crowd that make me question how Coachella can continue to book the type of acts they want to book.
    This thought ran through my head multiple times throughout the weekend and was probably my biggest takeaway overall. Is GV even aware of the monster they have created? More so than ever before I felt like 95% of the festival only showed up for 3-5 acts every single day. I lost count of how many legendary and critically acclaimed artists frustratingly played to what were probably some of the smallest crowds of their entire careers (many of whom I've seen play to crowds infinitely larger at previous years of the festival), while flavors of the month and meme artists played to tens of thousands of cell phones trying to desperately capture some fucking moment in pop culture history to brag about to their friends and followers. Honestly, how much longer are they going to be able to book lineups with any merit at all when they keep pushing the "festival experience" instead of actually experiencing any of the music? I tried to appreciate how easy it was to get so close to so many amazing sets, but fuck man...that shit was insanely depressing at times. I couldn't believe how many thousands of bored looking young people were always clogging the common areas while there was TONS of great music happening around them.
    Last edited by Pea; 04-26-2018 at 05:50 PM.

I really don't find an issue with any of this. This was my 15th year at Coachella. Went 2nd weekend for the first time. Had a great time. Barely went to the main stage. Checked out one daytime artist at the Sahara. Spent the rest of the time at Mojave, Outdoor, and Yuma, and Dolab. Such an incredible festival. Even with the heaps of garbage on the line up, there was SOOO much consistently awesome music throughout the weekend.

I have no issue with Tens of Thousands of kids spending their money on festival passes and only showing up for a few acts, in turn generating revenue for Goldenvoice to invest in the festival. It's disgusting that post malone fills up the sahara and cardi b fills up the main stage, but whatever, I didnt have to deal with any of that. Plenty of open space all weekend and didnt run into any douchebags, on the grounds or at camp.
    Last edited by Chumpy; 04-27-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Well you know, there's like, 7 billion people in the world, each with their own unique personality. Going to a festival with over 100,000 people, you are bound to run into a few different personalities, good and bad. Same shit happens at the grocery store and gas station from time to time. No big deal.

If youre not feeling the vibe in the crowd youre in, move over 20 feet...
    Last edited by Chumpy; 04-27-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    Do black people not like rock music, even if the musicians are black?
    What the hell does this even mean? Is something wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by eimie View Post
    the Life is Beautiful lineup that just got dropped... how have I never heard of that fest, and how is their lineup SO GOOD!
    Are you kidding? This year's Life is Beautiful lineup would have been an ok Coachella lineup 5 years ago. Today, it's laughably unoriginal and cookie cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    What the hell does this even mean? Is something wrong with you?
    It just felt very segregated this year. The crowds at the rock shows were noticeably whiter than the overall attendance. Just an observation. It felt awkward at times.

Usually the different "tracks" are the EDM people and everybody else. It was different this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    It just felt very segregated this year. The crowds at the rock shows were noticeably whiter than the overall attendance. Just an observation. It felt awkward at times.

Usually the different "tracks" are the EDM people and everybody else. It was different this year.

I mean, we all know the answer to the situation. An influx of people that are not white came out to watch Beyonce. Duhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
    I mean, we all know the answer to the situation. An influx of people that are not white came out to watch Beyonce. Duhhhhh
    I know. But it was the same all day on Friday and Sunday too.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    Are you kidding? This year's Life is Beautiful lineup would have been an ok Coachella lineup 5 years ago. Today, it's laughably unoriginal and cookie cutter.
    LiB is a great lineup in the sense that they are giving a certain age range literally everything they could possibly ask for. What it's missing is managing to pull off the acts that that age range didn't know they wanted (like a Hans or Postal Service or whatever), which is what it feels like only Coachella can pull off anymore, but to a crowd that seems to care less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
    FWIW almost every single difficult person that I encountered that was obviously in the Beyhive was white or Asian. Beyonce is an important cultural milestone for black fans, but looking at the front rows of the webcast that Beyhive crowd was all different races.

What it's missing is managing to pull off the acts that that age range didn't know they wanted (like a Hans or Postal Service or whatever), which is what it feels like only Coachella can pull off anymore, but to a crowd that seems to care less and less.
    Yeah, I just go back and forth on how much of this is just the changing tastes and changing demographics of the emerging younger crowd that is the festival's future (probably most of it), and how much of this is the result of GV intentionally courting a more mainstream audience the last 8 years to sustain their planned expansion.

Clearly, there are promoters out their that believe a festival can still survive focused on indie and rock rather than chasing the Hip Hop/R&B dominance and Spotify/Youtube kinds of this moment - Sasquatch's lineup in particular felt like a declaration of intent - we are an indie/rock focused festival.

And we also saw this year that Coachella still holds a lot of power in who attends, even with presale's before a lineup announcement. Most of us boardies are going to keep going regardless of how much we bitch about the lineup, we're music junkies, but we did see this year how quickly the lineup's EDM deemphasis obliterated the Bro presence this year. So if Coachella is really concerned about the attendence problems created by this huge portion of their new emergent crowd that only cares about seeing three or four of the biggest most mainstream names on any given day and will spend the rest of their day snapping selfies, they can take steps not to book the artists that draw this crowd. But will they...

I do think that attendence imbalance was without question the number one issue raised in their post mortem this year, and that there is some concern a backlash from all these artists who are performing to miniscule crowds and trashing the festival publicly is brewing - but I also feel so many steps the festival has taken the last five years has been a direct attempt to address these issues so they can keep booking these type of acts - scheduling legends earlier and earlier in the day to lower the competition with bigger mainstream acts, lessening the number of rock/indie acts in total so fewer are in competition with each other, creating the Sonora as haven for garage/punk enthusiasts - but for the most part none of these changes has come fast enough or been effective enough to stem the tide of this younger crowd's listening tastes and attendence patterns.

So I do feel in that way, Coachella is at a crossroads this year - they either reverse course, lay down the guantlet Sasquatch like, and get back to focusing first on the music and original eclecticism of the fest rather than the experience to see if their are still enough music junkie types to sustain their much bigger capacity, or they just keep moving in the direction they have the last eight years, MTV-like, evolving each year with the changing tastes of times.

I do think, though, that there's a good chance they drop the Sonora next year, or at least move it again - no point in even booking for a venue that's only pulling in an average fo 200-300 people per show out of 125000 attending.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 04-28-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

The campers were far worse this year. I've only been 3 years but it was bad. Ruined a ton of sets, Tyler The Creator didn't look into his set at all. Vince either on Friday. Last year Lorde's set got messed up by Kendrick campers but even that wasn't as bad. I noticed that the Outdoor stage was pretty dead overall compared to the other 2 years that I have been. Acts before 7pm had flimsy crowds and even the later acts didn't fill it up. I've seen Travis Scott, Jack U, Hans Zimmer, A$AP Rocky, among others pack out that stage but even Miguel and St. Vincent had smaller crowds than I thought they would by a mile. The Gobi also had super small crowds, even for the bigger artists they put in there. The Mojave had the best overall turnout as far as amount of people in there for the sets that I went to. The grounds were relatively empty for the 1-5pm acts. I did notice that the festival was WAY more diverse this year which was awesome. The festival felt more laid back this year overall to me. I still had an amazing time and it was the best out of the 3 years that I've been as far as the acts that I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    I do think, though, that there's a good chance they drop the Sonora next year, or at least move it again - no point in even booking for a venue that's only pulling in an average fo 200-300 people per show out of 125000 attending.
    I hope not. I love the Sonora. I saw Otoboke Beaver, Rex Orange County, Cuco, and Princess Nokia in there. Probably my favorite stage. To save the Sonora they should just put people who are a bit more popular in there. For example Japanese Breakfast, Chloe x Halle sized crowds would have been perfect for the Sonora as they couldn't quite fill the Gobi but had good turnouts still that would fill the Sonora. Rex OC filled the Sonora all the way up and Cuco/Princess Nokia had large turnouts as well. And yeah having it tucked away in the corner behind the Gobi isn't a good way for people to stumble onto it. Maybe put it where the HP tent was outside of the Mojave?

Sure...cheese house EDM is pretty much done with, but the bros have latched on to something just as worse: corny vocal-laden future bass knockoff trap pop (Marshmello, Illenium, Louis the Child, Odesza honestly doesn't impress me, Chainsmokers are probably going to get a subheadlining spot next year). I don't see this genre lasting that long but it's going to be prevalent next year, which means a bunch of greek rows flocking to the grounds.

I think this is always going to be geared to a pop demographic going forward, with bones being thrown to rock/r&b, etc., fans. Those tickets don't sell themselves. People in my office, who know that I go and haven't heard of any of the bands I saw all asked "Did you see Beyonce?" That's what gets noticed, not a David Byrne set.
    Last edited by grichsgang; 04-30-2018 at 09:15 AM.

There is a big difference in selling 50,000 tickets per day like in 2004, the first year a day sold out, to now 120,000+ moving forward. For that they need to target what can bring those kinds of numbers in. It’s all cyclical as those of us old enough know. Grunge, to boy bands, back to indie, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kct3722 View Post
    To save the Sonora they should just put people who are a bit more popular in there. For example Japanese Breakfast, Chloe x Halle sized crowds would have been perfect for the Sonora as they couldn't quite fill the Gobi but had good turnouts still that would fill the Sonora.
    This. Alvvays, Japanese Breakfast, Angel Olsen (drew flies) etc could have been slotted there and rocked it. John Maus, Princess Nokia, Cuco, etc were nice bookings that seemed to start to diversify the offerings. For the Sonora to work, I think they need to step away from a strict "Viva Pomona" theme (which they started to this year) and embrace more variety, as well as book slightly larger bands that could sell out shows in LA and with built in fanbases who would make the trek. The Yuma is in a shit location too, but since they book DJs with fanbases it does really well. I really don't think the location is the problem. A little Cloud Nothings here, a little Joyce Manor there, move some Gobi bands who would only fill up 1/4 or 1/3 of the tent and would rather play to the same crowd but not have it feel empty (HEALTH or Deafheaven or Savages would have destroyed in the Sonora if it had been there 2016), some curveballs like they did with Maus and Nokia, and I think you'd have a full tent and it would have a place at Coachella.