Thread: Vince Staples. Finally.

Default Vince Staples. Finally.

Been hoping for this one for years. Happy to finally see him on the lineup.

Vince is a rapper from Long Beach, CA. His 2015 double album, Summertime '06 is widely regarded as one of the best rap releases of last year. It's good, but for me the real gems can be found in his earlier work.

Shyne Coldchain Vol. 1 and Winter In Prague are my two personal favorite releases, but pretty much everything is great.

Also, he puts on a pretty decent live show.

Default Re: Vince Staples. Finally.

norf norf

very excited for this set as well. Summertime 06 is one of my favorite rap releases from last year. I haven't heard any of his earlier work, but definitely gonna dig into that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

How coincidental that your name is golfwang

get paid
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

bitch u thirsty

please grab a Sprite

Ok can someone explain the appeal of Vince Staples? I'm not trying to be sassy. Honestly wondering. I've spent this last year getting into a good deal of rap/hip hop for the first time in like 20 years, so I am by no means a connoisseur, and he is just not sticking with me for some reason. On paper I feel like I should like him. But it all just sounds boring to me. All the videos in this thread were boring to me. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Ok can someone explain the appeal of Vince Staples? I'm not trying to be sassy. Honestly wondering. I've spent this last year getting into a good deal of rap/hip hop for the first time in like 20 years, so I am by no means a connoisseur, and he is just not sticking with me for some reason. On paper I feel like I should like him. But it all just sounds boring to me. All the videos in this thread were boring to me. What am I missing?
    He tends to rap in this sort of detached, lethargic monotone a lot, which is part of what I like so much about his delivery, but I can definitely see how some might not find it all that interesting. His best skill is just how he puts words/rhymes together. I know that's super vague but I'm not trying to get all corny and start quoting lyrics in here.

It's hard to explain, but there are songs of his that I heard a couple times and at first sounded completely unremarkable. Then like a week later the way he said certain phrases and rhymes would just get stuck in my head and I'd find myself just repeatedly listening to his verses. It's almost like he's rapping without even realizing he's rapping, but at the same time he's putting together these crazy rhymes with this wild, vivid imagery and talking about subject matter that can be super heavy and intense. It all just sounds so effortless.

Maybe try songs from his newer album instead, if you haven't already? He generally raps in a more energetic tone. Also, this video is pretty spectacular:

That video is really something else. Holy fucking shit. This set is going to be fucking lit. I'm hoping he plays dopeman soooo bad
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

Ok I'll keep trying. That does help to explain it, thank you. I think I tend to go more for really interesting-sounding music and delivery. Why I love Kendrick so much. The way you described him kind of reminds me of why I could never really get into Bright Eyes. Or Bob Dylan, for that matter.

^ That was a great video. I liked it more than the other stuff I've heard but I still couldn't totally get into it. Without the video it just kinda falls flat. I don't like the high-pitched non-stop delivery with hardly any inflection. Kind of reminds me of Fetty Wap.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    He tends to rap in this sort of detached, lethargic monotone a lot, which is part of what I like so much about his delivery, but I can definitely see how some might not find it all that interesting. His best skill is just how he puts words/rhymes together. I know that's super vague but I'm not trying to get all corny and start quoting lyrics in here.

It's hard to explain, but there are songs of his that I heard a couple times and at first sounded completely unremarkable. Then like a week later the way he said certain phrases and rhymes would just get stuck in my head and I'd find myself just repeatedly listening to his verses. It's almost like he's rapping without even realizing he's rapping, but at the same time he's putting together these crazy rhymes with this wild, vivid imagery and talking about subject matter that can be super heavy and intense. It all just sounds so effortless.

Maybe try songs from his newer album instead, if you haven't already? He generally raps in a more energetic tone. Also, this video is pretty spectacular:
    lol this. just take the award for best description of Vince Staples style ever