Page 999 of 1040 FirstFirst ... 99499599699799899910001001100210031004 ... LastLast
Results 29,941 to 29,970 of 31199

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Just watched Prisoners. I was pretty impressed with it. Hugh Jackman is disturbing and vicious in it and he portrays a man at the end of his rope really well. I'd never even heard about it when it came out, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Prisoners was great! Jake Gyllenhall was also very good in it.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I loved Frozen! It's funny Zack asked if the movie was about lesbians because Eve and I were looking at the Disney store yesterday, and all the little girls' clothes for the Frozen movie had Anna and Elsa holding hands and gazing into each other's eyes.
    Not sure what's funny about that either, but perhaps you're unaware that prior to this -- all of the Disney Princess merchandise, like the actual merchandise that puts ALL of the princesses together (and the marketing tactic of princessization in general) has NEVER had any of the princesses looking each other, basically maintaining the very type of isolation/perpetual competition with other females that's been problematically present as the crux identity of these characters. The "are they lesbian?" reaction is more representative of not actually knowing how to process two female characters making eye contact, which to me says a LOT about how we've been culturally conditioned to think about women.

7/30: The Chemical Brothers @ The Armory
    7/31: Worker/Parasite @ Underground SF
    8/7-8/9: Outside Lands Music Festival
    8/8: Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    8/11: Screaming Females @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/14: John Roberts, Laurel Halo @ f8
    8/20: Sales @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/22-23: FYF Fest
    8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop

You read Jezebel, don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Even though there were parts of it I didn't like there are scenes I couldn't get out of my head. I'll say that Harmony has a way of creating images that stick with you.
    This is how I feel about all Harmony Korine movies.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I loved the character development, the banter between actors, and the storyline. Maybe it was not the fast-paced crime melodrama that you're used to, but the performances had me mesmerized. The desperate adoring looks Adams and Bale gave each other, the moving clothes track that shuffled and surrounded them as they were falling in love amidst the chaos of Bales' character's felonious operations, the crazy hair and cleavage from the 70s, J-Law's own band of crazy/sexy, I loved it all! It invigorated me and made me believe in love again.
    I could see the love stuff, because I was hopelessly in love when I saw it. And Adams was amazing, but I fucking hated Bale and Cooper (as characters). J-Law was awesome too. I just couldn't believe how much they left on the floor, story-wise. Not much happened here and the third act was like Hangover 3 weak. I mean, really.

I loved Prisoners, for those talking about it. Jackman and Jake both killed it and I really enjoyed it.

SPOILER! ! ! !

Too bad they did that thing where the actor too big for their thankless role turns out not to have such a thankless role, though. Sometimes seeing a familiar face is enough to clue you in to how the mystery will ultimately unravel.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post

I loved Prisoners, for those talking about it. Jackman and Jake both killed it and I really enjoyed it.

SPOILER! ! ! !

Too bad they did that thing where the actor too big for their thankless role turns out not to have such a thankless role, though. Sometimes seeing a familiar face is enough to clue you in to how the mystery will ultimately unravel.
    Haha. My wife's a (guilty) fan of police procedurals, and Prisoners reminded me of what she says about Bones and Law & Order: if a well-known actor is cast in a seemingly minor role you can probably bet money they committed the crime.
    Last edited by roberto73; 12-25-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: cleaned up pronoun antecedent problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I could see the love stuff, because I was hopelessly in love when I saw it. And Adams was amazing, but I fucking hated Bale and Cooper (as characters). J-Law was awesome too. I just couldn't believe how much they left on the floor, story-wise. Not much happened here and the third act was like Hangover 3 weak. I mean, really.
    Agreed. Just saw it tonight. While I still enjoyed it a lot because I thought the acting was amazing, especially Adams, the story itself just seemed a bit unfinished. I left still having questions about certain things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Eh. Having Spring Breakers, The World's End and Frances Ha above 12 Years a Slave is a joke. Pretty sure Drug War shouldn't be that high either, even though I haven't seen it. Also, I like most of Malick's work but To The Wonder... fuck that film.
    Well, it's an amalgamation of all their critics' lists, so there's bound to be some discrepancies depending on what got more votes. I think Upstream Color was fantastic (as did many commenters on this board) but that just missed their list at #26.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

David O Russell? More like David Oh my god when is this fucking movie going to end, amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    the actual merchandise that puts ALL of the princesses together (and the marketing tactic of princessization in general) has NEVER had any of the princesses looking each other, basically maintaining the very type of isolation/perpetual competition with other females that's been problematically present as the crux identity of these characters.
    I understand this may be the result, but the actual reason for this is that Disney has a weird mandate where characters that do not exist in the same stories can not acknowledge each other. It would be the same thing if they made shirts that lumped together Aladdin, Jack Sparrow and Buzz Lightyear.
    03/13/15 Wolf Alice - the Rickshaw Stop
    04/24/15 Polaris - The Chapel
    06/11/15 Neutral Milk Hotel - The Phoenix Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    David O Russell? More like David Oh my god when is this fucking movie going to end, amirite?
    You are dead to me.
    NEW SIG

I also loved Prisoners.. it hurt to watch some of the scenes but all the actors/actresses were so fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Gabe's response to Frances Ha is pretty much the only reason I haven't seen it yet.

I thought 12 Years a Slave was far and away McQueen's weakest film. The pacing was really light for such a heavy film, the music was just plain bad, and the last third really left me unengaged. Stunning as always and packed with some incredible moments, but ultimately uneven. As a big fan of his first two movies, I wanted to love it, but walked out a bit disappointed.

Oh, and to the comment earlier... Hoberman is easily my favorite film critic ever and completely shaped my film-queue for a number of years, so I'll take that as a compliment I suppose. I'll admit that I lost track of him following his firing from Village Voice, but it appears that he's writing regularly, so I need to pick that up again.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 12-27-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Oh, and to the comment earlier... Hoberman is easily my favorite film critic ever and completely shaped my film-queue for a number of years, so I'll take that as a compliment I suppose. I'll admit that I lost track of him following his firing from Village Voice, but it appears that he's writing regularly, so I need to pick that up again.
    I don't read him regularly, but I always thought he was a good writer and had some interesting opinions.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

So I saw Inside Llewyn Davis on Christmas Eve, and I continue to have a hard time with the Coen brothers. I haven't seen everything they've ever done, but at this point the only films that I really loved upon first viewing were Barton Fink, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, and The Big Lebowski (which I really love but still have no idea why I see it listed in top 10 all-time greatest films lists). Granted, I was nursing a slight hangover while watching it and there was an old lady next to me who had this breathing machine that made a tapping sound every 10 seconds that nearly drove me insane. I do plan on rewatching it once the screener leaks, but this isn't the first time that I've left the theater after one of their films wondering just what it was that everyone was on about.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The hangover was the result of waking up in bed with an eldery woman attached to a breathing machine, who you then took to the movies to try and demonstrate that you're invested in more than a random hook up, right? Right?

That would explain a lot.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I thought 12 Years a Slave was far and away McQueen's weakest film. The pacing was really light for such a heavy film, the music was just plain bad, and the last third really left me unengaged. Stunning as always and packed with some incredible moments, but ultimately uneven. As a big fan of his first two movies, I wanted to love it, but walked out a bit disappointed.
    I agree with all of this except the parts that conflict with me mostly hating Shame. I also think the film had a really poor sense of time, especially considering the time frame was specified in the title. I'm fine with the seemingly-intentional effect of Solomon not knowing how long he was gone, and in translating that ignorance of temporal specifics to the audience (it's really the only source of power in his reunion with his suddenly-grown family), but it still needed to feel like, you know, more than a decade had passed. As presented, all this shit could have gone down in maybe a couple years and the sum would be no different. Also, the This Is the End-esque parade of cameos was a terrible decision, and Pitt's in particular was an unconscionable travesty.

Re: Frances Ha and "Girls"....I love "Girls", and I bristle every time Frances Ha is compared to it. I can acknowledge that the actual difference may be more slight than it feels to me, and that the longer form of "Girls" is the primary reason why it's easy to get past the novelty characterizations and see them as actual possible humans. That said, it seemed immediately apparent from the pilot and almost every subsequent episode that Dunham's show was rich with authorial touches that undermined and questioned the unlikable traits in the characters, rather than forcing me to live with them and eventually love with them; I can't say the same for Frances Ha, or for that matter, Tiny Furniture, which I saw after season 1 of "Girls" and also fucking hated.

As usual, I'm going to be a foot-dragging bitch about my best-of-year list and probably won't write it until late January.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Just watched Don Jon. Good movie. Funny. However, Joseph Gordon Levitt's NY Ital accent is so fucking bad... my god. If you can't call somebody a fucking retard in a NY accent, you need to hire a coach, cause it's about the easiest fucking syllable combination in the world to imitate.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Just watched Don Jon. Good movie.
    Agreed. I expected to really not like it, but there's a lot more to it than the trailer suggested. I thought it was really good.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

ThomThom and I treated ourselves to a double feature of Nebraska and 12 Years a Slave yesterday. Both were absolutely excellent, and among the best films I've seen this year. 12 Years absolutely devastated me. I really don't know how people maintain the ability to be overly critical about something when it's that powerful.

Although if there was one criticism I had, it was the score. In the first half hour there was this really off-putting and unfitting music that would play that sounded like something out of some generic political thriller. The film definitely served itself better by having more of a natural feel in the last half or so, with the sounds of flying insects providing the majority of the sound.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Just watched Don Jon. Good movie.
    Yeah I liked it a lot too. After the movie my girlfriend turns to me and asks "you don't still watch porn, do you?" "Of course, all guys do." We proceeded to have an argument that was beyond stereotype. It would have sounded funnier with bad Jersey accents.

My bf and I had a discussion on if the comparison between guys/porn and girls/chickflick was really a fair one or not. On the level of fantasy I guess It is but really I don't have go watch "The Notebook" every day or every other day...

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    My bf and I had a discussion on if the comparison between guys/porn and girls/chickflick was really a fair one or not. On the level of fantasy I guess It is but really I don't have go watch "The Notebook" every day or every other day...
    I thought that comparison was pretty apt - but more in that both are ways people escape than anything.

Whatever. I watch porn from time to time, probably more than I watch chick flicks.
    NEW SIG

I masturbate to absolutely ridiculous romantic comedies on a daily basis. The parallelism makes absolute sense.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

The analogy would only make sense if men were too stupid/too busy on Pinterest to understand the plot to anything but porn.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I masturbate to absolutely ridiculous romantic comedies on a daily basis. The parallelism makes absolute sense.
    Except it wasn't parallelism, the girl wasn't masturbating she just had this dumb look on her face. Sort of what I assume what yours looks like when people mention cats to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Except it wasn't parallelism, the girl wasn't masturbating she just had this dumb look on her face. Sort of what I assume what yours looks like when people mention cats to you.
    It's probably best if you and ELISA83TH just stay in your own little never gets the point part of the room.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare