Page 998 of 1038 FirstFirst ... 9939949959969979989991000100110021003 ... LastLast
Results 29,911 to 29,940 of 31130

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I've heard people say it's a parody of art analysis/praise, which I find to be a completely vapid way of covering the ass of a shit filmmaker who's only accomplishment was reaching for something that was not there.

First off, I think the movie works best as a scathing indictment about the way we consume art. An especially dick move given how nearly everyone (myself included) was sucked into viewing the film as some kind of set of potential keys to the shining. The weird banal moments that get tossed in (Fell Ryan's baby crying for example) do a fantastic job of individuating this pop-compulsion that so many of us have to impose extrinsic theory on art. Sure, the characters here were obviously absurd extremes, but that didn't lessen the impact of what I think was a near-perfect attack on our frequent failure to engage art on its own terms. The Shining is the perfect film to explore this concept because of Kubrick's uncanny ability to create films that are damn near perfect (and at their best) when viewed as completely self-sufficient. This tension between a film that has impeccable internal logic of its own and our constant desire to bring subjective experience in as some key part of the viewing experience was perfect. I think this is probably the best film about film theory (armchair or otherwise) that I've ever seen.

In no way is the movie parody.

I completely agree. I spend a lot of time dealing with reader response theory, and especially Louise Rosenblatt's transactional theory in short, that we can't help but bring our knowledge and past experiences to a text, and that informs how we make meaning of it. This is why many nuanced texts can have variances in interpretation. But sometimes we give more credence to our own experiences than to the text itself, and that can lead to misreadings.

I found Room 237 to be convincing proof that the transactional theory exists in the world of film, too. The participants, to one degree or another, let their own interests and preoccupations color their interpretation of The Shining, resulting in I think severe misreadings of the film.

Fascinating stuff. The trick, as Jared alludes, is not to go in hoping these people hold the keys to the film's meaning. Or if you do go in with that expectation, change it fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

I guess I need to put Room 237 on my year end bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    haven't seen a lot of the recent films that have been talked about... there was a clear #1 this year (in a year of incredible films).

1. Act of Killing
    Berberian Sound Studio
    Bestiaire
    Computer Chess
    Hannah Arendt
    Leviathan
    Post Tenebras Lux
    Room 237
    Spring Breakers
    Upstream Color
    Don't do it Gunz..

Frances Ha is on Netflix Instant. Just watched it for the first time (thanks to the recommendations from this board) and loved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I definitely agree with Jared and roberto about Room 237. As the film unfolded I became more and more fascinated with how it was approaching film criticism, particularly the obsessive nature of contemporary movie (VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray) culture. The point is certainly not to give much credence to the theories in the movie, but more to comment on our desire to see things in art that really might not be there. The guys above me expressed this much better.

I have a few films left to see this year, but my initial standouts would go something like this:

The Act of Killing
    Spring Breakers
    Leviathan
    Room 237
    Upstream Color
    12 Years a Slave
    Frances Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    1. Act of Killing
    Berberian Sound Studio
    Bestiaire
    Computer Chess
    Hannah Arendt
    Leviathan
    Post Tenebras Lux
    Room 237
    Spring Breakers
    Upstream Color
    J. Hoberman, is that you?
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    I definitely agree with Jared and roberto about Room 237. As the film unfolded I became more and more fascinated with how it was approaching film criticism, particularly the obsessive nature of contemporary movie (VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray) culture. The point is certainly not to give much credence to the theories in the movie, but more to comment on our desire to see things in art that really might not be there. The guys above me expressed this much better.
    Part of me sees what you guys are getting at, and the other part of me thinks you all might be giving Rodney Ascher entirely too much credit.

I have Spring Breakers on my Amazon Prime watch list. It's free if you have Amazon Prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Part of me sees what you guys are getting at, and the other part of me thinks you all might be giving Rodney Ascher entirely too much credit.
    Here's what you wrote about it a few months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Room 237, a documentary about the theories about the meaning and symbols in The Shining, was the equivalent of watching a movie made my Radiohead wackos trying to relate the color of Thom's pants to the quality of the band's setlists.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, but that's why I liked it and it's what I was getting at in my post on the previous page. As someone who's really fascinated by variances in interpretation, it was interesting to hear how this handful of people took a common text (in this case, The Shining) and found such wildly diverse meanings in it. I didn't find any of their interpretations particularly convincing, but the rhetorical contortions they went through to sell us what Kubrick supposedly intended was both sad and endearing. And it worked for me that Ascher doesn't connect the dots for the viewer at the end; in a movie about multiple interpretations it seemed fitting that he leaves it up to the viewer to make something out of it for himself.
    Last edited by roberto73; 12-22-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: verb tense is all over the fucking place
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I have Spring Breakers on my Amazon Prime watch list. It's free if you have Amazon Prime.
    That's how I watched it...signed up for Amazon Prime free trial, though I'll probably drop it.

Anyways, I thought the movie was embarrassingly bad.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

watching after earth. it's a good thing they cast two people with a constant look of concern in their eyebrows
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

This past week I watched Her. and has far fetched as it was I really liked it. Not an award winner but really enjoyable.

Also watched Blue Jasmine and holy shit Cate Blanchett better win the Emmy for best actress. She was amazing in it. The movie it self was good, not great, but is a must watch for Blanchette's performance alone in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Seriously? What was great about American Hustle, other than Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence's performances? I found the pacing terrible and the payoff almost nonexistent. I love David O. Russell and think he should definitely have won Best Picture for The Fighter, but I left American Hustle thinking it was just a dull mess. It wanted to be Goodfellas but felt like an overwrought HBO Picture.

The cast was great, mind you, but the movie itself was not comparable to great genre crime/heist films... not even close.
    I like David O. Russell, but I tend to find some of his movies become very over-rated...but I actually think that's more true of The Fighter than American Hustle.

Not that I'd call it great, it's flawed and at times it feels very staged...it starts right at the beginning with the opening scene where Bale's messing with that obnoxious come-over, and goes from there to create, I don't know, a feel of being very much like a 2013 staging of the 70's.
    Last edited by Listening; 12-23-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    That's how I watched it...signed up for Amazon Prime free trial, though I'll probably drop it.

Anyways, I thought the movie was embarrassingly bad.
    Even though there were parts of it I didn't like there are scenes I couldn't get out of my head. I'll say that Harmony has a way of creating images that stick with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    Frances Ha is on Netflix Instant. Just watched it for the first time (thanks to the recommendations from this board) and loved it.
    Did the same last night, glad I did. Is her best friend the drummer in Austra?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    4/15 Glass Animals @Glass House - 4/17,18,19@Coachella - 4/30 Twin Shadow @Fonda - 5/1 Sleater Kinney @Palladium - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

Saw ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ yesterday and thought it was good, albeit not enthralling or wholly consuming as some parts were a bit slow. Macconohay, *Star of Show* award, nailed the part of an ever changing shit kicker who adapted and improvised throughout the film. I’d say he’s better off doing this kind of work then banging J-Lo’s bubble butt over a romantic comedy table, although he could still be on the fence if caught reminiscing about that giant manzana ass. Pretty Jared Leto all slender in drag, but his character Rayon stayed the same from the first scene to her deathbed. She just was what she was. And T-Rex’s soundtrack and imagery featured, not to mention the genius Deerhunter mainman, you couldn’t help but be reminded how poor Leto’s own band is in comparison to those musical giants. Doesn't he wear fingertip-less leather gloves while playing a ZZ Top style guitar?

I’d give it a solid ‘B’ grade. Interesting storyline, great performance from M-Hay, and superb direction.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

It's been years since I disliked a movie - to the point of being reduced to a Randy-re:-Harmony angry lunatic - as severely as I did Frances Ha. I walked out of the theater after 15 minutes, and then I forced myself to watch the whole fucking thing on Netflix this past Saturday to see if the initial response was a mood pocket. Nope - it's beyond dreadful and the entire world is on drugs about it. I've likened it to An Education, wherein the majority of viewers mistake the lead actress' charm (and unlike with Carey Mulligan, I totally get this in relation to Greta Gerwig) for a quality performance or film. But seriously, if these "Characters" (quotes and capitalization intended) resonate with you, I think you need a swift kick in the ass.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

So my boyfriend made this "joke," at the very end of Frozen: "So...this movie is about lesbians, right?" which I think is a particularly apt statement not in regards to the movie itself, but to the pervasive influence of the homogeneous narrative of what it means to be/be represented as female. I wish I was able to watch a princess movie as a kid that wasn't singularly directed towards becoming rescued/wed, and I really have to applaud Disney for how this movie quite blatantly calls out the faultiness of the quixotic romanticism that's been a central tenet of almost all of its other princess characters. It was pretty heartening to see a male character ask for and a female character give consent. Also, I was impressed with how elaborate the snow/ice visuals were -- and Olaf is a great addition to the animated comedic sidekick category.

4/17: Swans, Angel Olsen
    4/18: Lee Coombs, Aphrodite @ Public Works
    4/24-26: Stagecoach
    5/1: Giegling Showcase @ Oakland
    5/2: Sleater-Kinney @ The Masonic
    5/3: Four Tet B2B Floating Points @ Public Works
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent

It's been years since I disliked a movie - to the point of being reduced to a Randy-re:-Harmony angry lunatic - as severely as I did Frances Ha. I walked out of the theater after 15 minutes, and then I forced myself to watch the whole fucking thing on Netflix this past Saturday to see if the initial response was a mood pocket. Nope - it's beyond dreadful and the entire world is on drugs about it. I've likened it to An Education, wherein the majority of viewers mistake the lead actress' charm (and unlike with Carey Mulligan, I totally get this in relation to Greta Gerwig) for a quality performance or film. But seriously, if these "Characters" (quotes and capitalization intended) resonate with you, I think you need a swift kick in the ass.
    Do you also hate the show Girls? I thought it was basically a film version of that. No, the characters don't resonate with me because I've never been a rich white person "struggling" in New York, but that doesn't mean the actors aren't charming. And even tho they can be annoying at times (much like Girls), I thought Frances' setbacks, many self-inflicted, we're fairly representative of irresponsible 20-somethings that I know but I still liked her.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    4/15 Glass Animals @Glass House - 4/17,18,19@Coachella - 4/30 Twin Shadow @Fonda - 5/1 Sleater Kinney @Palladium - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

Yeah, I don't think anyone who loved the film (myself included) thought Gerwig gave a performance for the ages or anything. More the film as a whole.
    4/19 - Electric Wizard - Roxy
    5/01 - Sleater-Kinney - Palladium
    5/02 - John Zorn - Royce
    5/03 - Lightning Bolt/Liturgy - Echoplex
    5/07 - Local H - Echo (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I loved Frozen! It's funny Zack asked if the movie was about lesbians because Eve and I were looking at the Disney store yesterday, and all the little girls' clothes for the Frozen movie had Anna and Elsa holding hands and gazing into each other's eyes.
    So my boyfriend made this "joke," at the very end of Frozen: "So...this movie is about lesbians, right?" which I think is a particularly apt statement not in regards to the movie itself, but to the pervasive influence of the homogeneous narrative of what it means to be/be represented as female. I wish I was able to watch a princess movie as a kid that wasn't singularly directed towards becoming rescued/wed, and I really have to applaud Disney for how this movie quite blatantly calls out the faultiness of the quixotic romanticism that's been a central tenet of almost all of its other princess characters. It was pretty heartening to see a male character ask for and a female character give consent. Also, I was impressed with how elaborate the snow/ice visuals were -- and Olaf is a great addition to the animated comedic sidekick category.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Seriously? What was great about American Hustle, other than Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence's performances? I found the pacing terrible and the payoff almost nonexistent. I love David O. Russell and think he should definitely have won Best Picture for The Fighter, but I left American Hustle thinking it was just a dull mess. It wanted to be Goodfellas but felt like an overwrought HBO Picture.

The cast was great, mind you, but the movie itself was not comparable to great genre crime/heist films... not even close.
    I loved the character development, the banter between actors, and the storyline. Maybe it was not the fast-paced crime melodrama that you're used to, but the performances had me mesmerized. The desperate adoring looks Adams and Bale gave each other, the moving clothes track that shuffled and surrounded them as they were falling in love amidst the chaos of Bales' character's felonious operations, the crazy hair and cleavage from the 70s, J-Law's own band of crazy/sexy, I loved it all! It invigorated me and made me believe in love again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    I like David O. Russell, but I tend to find some of his movies become very over-rated...but I actually think that's more true of The Fighter than American Hustle.

Not that I'd call it great, it's flawed and at times it feels very staged...it starts right at the beginning with the opening scene where Bale's messing with that obnoxious come-over, and goes from there to create, I don't know, a feel of being very much like a 2013 staging of the 70's.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 12-24-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: sorry posting from my phone doesn't always work right

This is usually a very strong list and this year's looks to be no exception:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/feature...-films-of-2013

25. Gravity
    24. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
    23. The We and the I
    22. To the Wonder
    21. The Grandmaster
    20. Room 237
    19. Stories We Tell
    18. 12 Years a Slave
    17. Frances Ha
    16. The World's End
    15. Viola
    14. The Act of Killing
    13. Spring Breakers
    12. Drug War
    11. Laurence Anyways
    10. A Touch of Sin
    9. At Berkeley
    8. Before Midnight
    7. Bastards
    6. Computer Chess
    5. Like Someone in Love
    4. Museum Hours
    3. Leviathan
    2. Inside Llewyn Davis
    1. Her
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    This is usually a very strong list and this year's looks to be no exception:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/feature...-films-of-2013

25. Gravity
    24. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
    23. The We and the I
    22. To the Wonder
    21. The Grandmaster
    20. Room 237
    19. Stories We Tell
    18. 12 Years a Slave
    17. Frances Ha
    16. The World's End
    15. Viola
    14. The Act of Killing
    13. Spring Breakers
    12. Drug War
    11. Laurence Anyways
    10. A Touch of Sin
    9. At Berkeley
    8. Before Midnight
    7. Bastards
    6. Computer Chess
    5. Like Someone in Love
    4. Museum Hours
    3. Leviathan
    2. Inside Llewyn Davis
    1. Her
    Eh. Having Spring Breakers, The World's End and Frances Ha above 12 Years a Slave is a joke. Pretty sure Drug War shouldn't be that high either, even though I haven't seen it. Also, I like most of Malick's work but To The Wonder... fuck that film.

Watched Captain Phillips tonight. Yeah it was pretty damn good. I don't think it was as great as a lot of people made it out to be but it did a great job of keeping your attention. At no point did I feel like it was slow moving at all nor any dead parts in it.

black dude shouting expletives in Tom Hanks face? Almost went to that instead of Dallas Buyers as it was $3 at the cheapo theater. It's a rental.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Watched Captain Phillips tonight. Yeah it was pretty damn good. I don't think it was as great as a lot of people made it out to be but it did a great job of keeping your attention. At no point did I feel like it was slow moving at all nor any dead parts in it.
    I was bit tired when I watched Captain Phillips, but I have to say the movie never grabbed me.

Despite it being based on real events, and setting aside the dispute over the "facts", I just didn't get much out of it...outside of the little dialogue with Hanks and Catherine Keener to open it (which seemd a bit forced, but was at least an attempt at context), and a little bit of back and forth with the pirates, there wasn't much there.

I'd say I got more out of A Hijacking, which wasn't great, but I found the negotiation angle of it more compelling and more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    black dude shouting expletives in Tom Hanks face? Almost went to that instead of Dallas Buyers as it was $3 at the cheapo theater. It's a rental.
    Well I mean I didn't exactly go see it in theaters. I do agree though that not much explosions or big bang type stuff that needs to be seen on the big screen. Can easily wait to rent it and watch it on home TV