Page 989 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 984985986987988989990991992993994 ... LastLast
Results 29,641 to 29,670 of 31216

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    I took everything after the initial 20 minute long take to be a metaphor for death and rebirth. IMO she started to float off into space after the initial debris hit and stayed that way.
    SPOILERS

I actually thought about a similar theory as I was watching it. I was hoping that everything after the scene where she imagines George Clooney finding her in the Soyuz capsule and giving her the idea to use the landing thrusters was her dying fantasy, and that she in fact dies of oxygen deprivation (or CO2 inhalation, whatever) in the capsule. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much in the actual film that suggests this is a valid interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Rita Ora 8/25, Autre Ne Veut 10/10, The Zombies 10/27, Gesaffelstein 11/14, The Polyphonic Spree 11/19, Beach House 12/17&19
    Events
    Playstation Experience 12/5&6, Holy Ship Jan&Feb 2016

I've never wanted a character to die more in my life. Fuck Sandra Bullock. Worst. Actress. Ever.

I have absolutely no desire to see that movie. And I like Sandra Bullock.
    NEW SIG

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    I've never wanted a character to die more in my life. Fuck Sandra Bullock. Worst. Actress. Ever.
    She makes me so mad.

1. I hated everyone in Orange County saying how good The Blind Side was. It was like this stupid film that ecouraged otherwise racist people to recall how great football and white people are and then express these sentiments publicly under the disguise of the context of that dumb film.

2. She married a mysoginistic neo-nazi and then the whole country felt bad for her when the dip shit dicked her over.

I will think of more violations.

VigoTheCarpathian

Eh, never mind. That is all stupid.

I was largely not entertained, so that's where I'm coming from. While a large portion of my dislike is based on what I wanted out of it, it derives equally from my feeling that the film doesn't even execute its modest narrative well - the Clooney character carried himself as a believable astronaut, but his contribution to the story was ultimately horrendous. Also, you're disregarding my second paragraph entirely (even though you quoted it) - how can I sell a movie short when I'm telling people that it's a must-see? I'm just offering a voice of dissent to the chorus that is already placing it among the greatest science-fiction films ever made.
    I disregarded your second paragraph because this is the INTERNET - when you spend the first paragraph crushing a movie, what percentage of people even make it to the second? Plus, it's a cop out. "I basically hate it... it's a must see!" Come on now. This take would be legitimate if the movie succeeded for some time, then failed - like Prometheus, for instance, which is a terrible movie that sci-fi fans should see anyhow. Gravity is not a terrible movie, it's just not the movie you thought it would be. That's a you problem... projecting that on the rest of the forum while expecting us to listen to your opposite viewpoint in the next paragraph is kind of silly.

Yeah. Almost as silly as being personally offended that someone proffered a personal opinion that differed from your own.

8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/29: Jack J @ 222 Hyde
    9/13: Dirtybird BBQ @ Treasure Island
    9/13: Man Man @ The Independent
    9/18: The Acid @ The Chapel
    9/18: Octave One, Solar, Vin Sol @ Mighty
    9/20: Max Graef, Huxley, Glenn Astro @ The Midway
    9/23-27: Decibel Festival
    9/29: Titus Andronicus @ The Chapel

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I disregarded your second paragraph because this is the INTERNET -
    brilliant.

I interpreted and responded to your review of 2001: A Space Odyssey as though it were a review of My Little Pony, because this is the INTERNET.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Gravity is the biggest bummer of the year for me. I will never understand why Alfonso Cuaron would devote so much time and so many resources to learning how to depict the physical reality of space travel, and then employ his findings to a simplistic, woman-against-the-elements survival story that refuses to engage with space in any way that isn't "it's gorgeous" or "it wants to kill you". I don't need it to be 2001 - with which Gravity has no more common ground than what's shared between Blow-Up and Spice World - but if I'm stuck inside a person's space suit for 90 minutes, there simply has to be more depth to the characterization than what is offered here. And it has to be suggested, at least some of the time, rather than explicitly stated - which, for fuck's sake, shouldn't be possible in a film with so few characters.

And yet....while it's very easy for me to get carried away with how unsatisfied Gravity ultimately left me, it would be disingenuous to say that the film shouldn't be seen. It MUST be seen, and on the biggest, most three-dimensional canvas available to you, for even thoughtless, insubstantial time spent in space is still time spent in space. And from a purely technical standpoint, this film does it as well as almost anyone since Kubrick. It's just crucial to know that the comparison ends there.
    If your biggest complaint was that the characters had no depth then I think 2001 is a splendid comparison. The human characters in 2001 were about as sterile and one-dimensional as it gets and I'd say it's a safe assumption that both Kubrick and Cuaron had other priorities. For a big-budget studio movie Gravity has an embarrassment of riches. If you found it to be the biggest disappointment of the year maybe you're being too goddamn greedy.

It's a cop out to express a personal distaste for something but to still recommend it to others, because presuming that others might like something even though you didn't like a certain aspect of that something is an unacceptable stance to take.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Cara, how do you feel about the movie Cop Out?
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

more like Cara likes Cop in , amrite or what
    Translation

Outside Lands
    09/08/15 Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    pentagram
    Titus ANDRONICUS
    my Morning Jacket

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

Gravity is not a terrible movie, it's just not the movie you thought it would be.
    This.

Over the years I've learned that it's best to not go into something with preconceived notions whenever possible. If the character in Gravity were thin, the narrative basic - all of that Cuaron obviously did on purpose. I have several friends that constantly go to concerts with the whole if the band doesn't play x, y, z songs it's not going to be a good show. More often than not you're going to be disappointed with that kind of approach.

That's a terrible example actually, haha. But you see what I'm getting at. Instead of going into something with an idea of how it should be, that you ultimately compare it to, go into it with attention to what the artist is getting at, and go from there.
    8/30 - Erykah Badu/St. Vincent - Hollywood Bowl
    9/17 - Hum/Mineral - Regent
    9/21 - Psychic TV - Teragram (?)
    9/22 - Laetitia Sadier - Echo
    9/24 - Stars of the Lid - Regent

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It is amazing how so many people can look at a movie with 2 people on the screen for 90 mins (30 mins for one of them), and claim you don't need to care about the characters to enjoy the fim. What else is are you supposed to like? The beautiful view? Go watch Hubble Imax 3D if that's all you jerkoffs want in a space film.
    DREAM BIGGER

Oh great, TomServo and TallGuy agree. Nothing about this conversation is going to be horrible.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Let's just say that Cara wins the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It is amazing how so many people can look at a movie with 2 people on the screen for 90 mins (30 mins for one of them), and claim you don't need to care about the characters to enjoy the fim. What else is are you supposed to like? The beautiful view? Go watch Hubble Imax 3D if that's all you jerkoffs want in a space film.
    Fucking bingo. That's precisely the level that Gravity works on. I loved those nine minutes of Hubble 3D, but I don't want someone to multiply it by ten and then hear that it's the film of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This.

Over the years I've learned that it's best to not go into something with preconceived notions whenever possible. If the character in Gravity were thin, the narrative basic - all of that Cuaron obviously did on purpose. I have several friends that constantly go to concerts with the whole if the band doesn't play x, y, z songs it's not going to be a good show. More often than not you're going to be disappointed with that kind of approach.

That's a terrible example actually, haha. But you see what I'm getting at. Instead of going into something with an idea of how it should be, that you ultimately compare it to, go into it with
    attention to what the artist is getting at, and go from there.
    I agree with this in principle; it's been the basis of several arguments I've had, here and elsewhere. But maybe I'm not harping on this loudly enough - I BELIEVE GRAVITY DOES NOT EXECUTE ITS CHOSEN NARRATIVE WELL. Think about Clooney's ultimate contribution to the story - it's a simply awful storytelling stroke, and the film depends on it full-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    If your biggest complaint was that the characters had no depth then I think 2001 is a splendid comparison. The human characters in 2001 were about as sterile and one-dimensional as it gets and I'd say it's a safe assumption that both Kubrick and Cuaron had other priorities. For a big-budget studio movie Gravity has an embarrassment of riches. If you found it to be the biggest disappointment of the year maybe you're being too goddamn greedy.
    The latter point is entirely possible, but Kubrick didn't make a film that centers entirely on one character's "journey", so you'll have to forgive me for not holding his movie to the same standard of character work. If only Cuaron had shown even a fleeting interest in the mysteries of the universe.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

So today I watched The Goonies like I do almost every first rain of the season (I would say major rain but lets face it, any rain in so cal is major rain). I don' care what anyone else says that is the perfect rainy day movie.

After that ended was going through the movie channels and Dogma was on so I watched it. It's probably been about 10 years since I've seen it but holy shit I forgot how funny that movie is. So many great lines in it plus a lot of reflects my own personal beliefs. Plus I forgot Chris Rock was the apostle so that was a great surprise again. I don't know if it's Kevin Smiths best movie but fuck it's up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Gabe, I can't necessarily fault you for your feelings on Gravity, but I do find it curious that you can positively review a film like Somewhere (or any sparse, subtle art film) but then slam Gravity for its dearth of character development.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

You guys are fixating too heavily on certain things I'm saying and ignoring others. I'm not slamming Gravity for its dearth of character development alone; I'm also objecting to its dearth of ideas, earned feelings, and telling stories without horrendous exposition.

Also, disagree that Somewhere or any [I]good[I] sparse, subtle art film lacks any of those things.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Sandra giving a five minute dialog to an imaginary dead drunk Clooney floating around in space to tell her stupid ugly dead kid hello was one of the worst things I have ever seen on film. Every second counts when you are a elementary teacher that has unlimited access to two space stations and the Hubble telescope. Getting back to earf is what should have been the main focus, not character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Sandra giving a five minute dialog to an imaginary dead drunk Clooney floating around in space to tell her stupid ugly dead kid hello was one of the worst things I have ever seen on film. Every second counts when you are a elementary teacher that has unlimited access to two space stations and the Hubble telescope. Getting back to earf is what should have been the main focus, not character development.
    Uh... what? Bullock's character was an engineer who was re-tasking medical equipment for the Hubble.

I just watched Buffalo '66. Really good. Though I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as Vincent Gallo.

8/22-8/23 FYF Fest
    9/25 Titus Andronicus @ The Glass House
    10/17 Ariel Pink & Black Lips @ Pappy & Harriets

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Somewhere is totally fucking dreadful.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Somewhere is totally fucking dreadful.
    Agreed.

8/22-8/23 FYF Fest
    9/25 Titus Andronicus @ The Glass House
    10/17 Ariel Pink & Black Lips @ Pappy & Harriets

Saw Hope Floats 2 today. Overall I liked it a lot. Technically it was a marvel no doubt and a true cinematic experience. However, I did have problems connecting with it on an emotional level and had to feel that it is a tad over rated. Best space movie ever? No. For my money, I'd probably rank Danny Boyle's Sunshine higher.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Though I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as Vincent Gallo.
    A lot of people feel this way.

Uh... what? Bullock's character was an engineer who was re-tasking medical equipment for the Hubble.
    I wanted her to go out like Christa McAuliffe. I didn't give a fuck about her background or character development.
    Last edited by Tubesock Shakur; 10-12-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Gravity was amazing, especially IMAX. I liked both Clooney's and bullock's character. You really felt like you were in the movie.
    All you guys that are hating it just want something to bitch about it