Page 981 of 1038 FirstFirst ... 976977978979980981982983984985986 ... LastLast
Results 29,401 to 29,430 of 31130

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I thought it was goddamn funny. Nothing terribly memorable, but a nice dark comedy.

His A Field in England sounds fantastic, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

And re: Mud, aside from his view of McConaughey being McConaughey, I don't agree with this review here, but the writer of the article does point out some pretty funny plot holes.
    4/19 - Electric Wizard - Roxy
    5/01 - Sleater-Kinney - Palladium
    5/02 - John Zorn - Royce
    5/03 - Lightning Bolt/Liturgy - Echoplex
    5/07 - Local H - Echo (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Cianfrance is super talented, but goddamn was Place Beyond the Pines a disappointment. I would apply all of the kind words you use - compelling, unique, surprising - but I can't get over its moronic views of father-son relations. It's one of the most well-crafted bad movies I've seen in a long time.

On a similar note, I saw the beginning of Beasts of the Southern Wild on HBO yesterday and immediately wanted to fight you again.
    Agree wholeheartedly on Place Beyond the Pines. The first act was awesome and compelling, the second was alright and interesting, the third was awful and afterschool-special quality. Too bad, because a whole movie of Ryan and Eva might have been a damn good movie, they both really sold the characters well.

Spring Breakers didn't impress me as much as I'd hoped. The cinematography was great but most of the characters were lacking depth. I enjoyed James Franco's character but I wanted more from the female players.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Watched Things We Lost In The Fire last night.

Benicio Del Toro is, as always, just fascinating to watch and an enviable man on every level. His nuanced little reactions to the blandest of dialogue make me laugh, he can make almost anything worth watching, sorta in the vein of Nicholson.

Aside from that though, I want to find who made this movie and beat the shit out of them. Why they had to make Halle Berry's character so unbelievably unlikable at every fucking turn is beyond me, and the entire thing feels like a screenwriting professor trying to make up a story about what people dealing with the death of their father would be like, full of sentimental bullshit with absolutely no depth. I couldn't even finish the thing it was so aggravating.

If the person who wrote this actually dealt with the death of a close family member and drew on their own experiences to write this, they are insanely vapid, empty-headed shits who have no actual insight into themselves or the people around them. And if the person who wrote it actually doesn't have any personal experience with it, they should have found someone who does. It was fucking insulting.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I got around to watching Silver Lining's Playbook the other night and I have determined that I would drink Jennifer Lawrence's bathwater.
    And to be fair to fikus, violent strangulation is one of his better qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Being dead is literally the only way anyone on the planet could give less of a shit about you. You look like Farrah Fawcett's melted corpse.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Watched Things We Lost In The Fire last night.

Benicio Del Toro is, as always, just fascinating to watch and an enviable man on every level. His nuanced little reactions to the blandest of dialogue make me laugh, he can make almost anything worth watching, sorta in the vein of Nicholson.

Aside from that though, I want to find who made this movie and beat the shit out of them. Why they had to make Halle Berry's character so unbelievably unlikable at every fucking turn is beyond me, and the entire thing feels like a screenwriting professor trying to make up a story about what people dealing with the death of their father would be like, full of sentimental bullshit with absolutely no depth. I couldn't even finish the thing it was so aggravating.

If the person who wrote this actually dealt with the death of a close family member and drew on their own experiences to write this, they are insanely vapid, empty-headed shits who have no actual insight into themselves or the people around them. And if the person who wrote it actually doesn't have any personal experience with it, they should have found someone who does. It was fucking insulting.
    Yep. Benicio is one of our finest actors, but that movie was otherwise garbage.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Criterion is going dual format, saving xanman from himself in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Also, they're putting out City Lights, Tokyo Story, Frances Ha, and this fucking thing which I imagine may be relevant to the interests of certain people around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Today is a good day.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Interpol 4/21, Richie Hawtin 4/24, Sleater-Kinney 5/3, The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/16, Spoon 5/28, Neutral Milk Hotel 6/1, Sufjan Stevens 6/5&6, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14
    Events
    Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015, Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post

I was a bit underwhelmed with Kubrick's Lolita. But my god was Peter Sellers brilliant. I hadn't heard him mentioned in regard to the film hardly at all.
    5/02 - John Zorn - Royce

pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

^ Is this an Onion article?
    ACxDC 2015

I'm not sure Lolita ever needed to be adapted. That novel is all about the splendor of language, and if Kubrick and Sellers couldn't make a great film out of it, probably no one could. To be fair, I've only seen it once and thought it was fine, but never really felt compelled to revisit it.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

"I love how Kubrick takes two and a half hours to tell an adapted version of Lolita and then sums up Humbert's fate with a post-script."

- a Letterboxd reviewer

lol
    5/02 - John Zorn - Royce

pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    ^ Is this an Onion article?
    You mean what I said about Sellers? I mean, you hear him in the same sentence as Dr. Strangelove and The Pink Panther all the time, but I hadn't heard much about Lolita as a whole, really.
    5/02 - John Zorn - Royce

pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

For any other Seattle folks, Cinerama is screening a 70mm festival in September with some absolute gems: http://seattlecinerama.com/coming-soon/
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    You mean what I said about Sellers? I mean, you hear him in the same sentence as Dr. Strangelove and The Pink Panther all the time, but I hadn't heard much about Lolita as a whole, really.
    The best part was he was imitating Kubrick's voice in that movie.

I saw a little while back, Man With A Movie Camera was mentioned.

Reminded me of Brothers Quay for some odd reason. Anyways, just revisited this for the umpteenth time.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

VigoTheCarpathian

I watched The Last Temptation of Christ for the first time last night. Very good. Jesus was often portrayed as weak, confused, conflicted - even hateful - far from the composed Jesus we are used to. The end, with his guardian angel was a magnificent and shocking turn. And Harvey Keitel as Judas - I mean that's just great.

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    I watched The Last Temptation of Christ for the first time last night. Very good. Jesus was often portrayed as weak, confused, conflicted - even hateful - far from the composed Jesus we are used to. The end, with his guardian angel was a magnificent and shocking turn. And Harvey Keitel as Judas - I mean that's just great.
    And David Bowie as Pontius Pilate. I love that movie. I've read the book, too - I find the whole story so interesting.

I watched Lovelace over the weekend. It was OK, Amanda Seyfried and Peter Sarsgaard are good in their roles.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    And David Bowie as Pontius Pilate.
    hahaha I was like nooooooo Bowie nooo

VigoTheCarpathian

The whole movie I was like oh my God what is Jesus doing

finally saw Man of Steel. Also have seen Oz: The Great & Powerful and MUD recently too. Here's what I thought:

http://wildfiresreviews.blogspot.com...h/label/Movies

I'm not going to your stupid website to see your stupid thoughts. Post the content here or get the fuck.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I was a bit underwhelmed with Kubrick's Lolita. But my god was Peter Sellers brilliant. I hadn't heard him mentioned in regard to the film hardly at all.
    I love the movie, and Sellers definitely plays a huge part of that love. He is fucking insane in it. It is weird that you've not seen much mention about him in that film though, I feel like I've read tons of material that cited it. I am pretty sure that's what made me really watch to watch it in the first place years ago.
    last.fm
    4/19/15 - Electric Wizard @ Roxy // 4/22/15 - Faith No More - Wiltern // 5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary //
    5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater //6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flaminggodlikecreature View Post
    finally saw Man of Steel. Also have seen Oz: The Great & Powerful and MUD recently too. Here's what I thought:

http://buttfuckdipshit
    fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Besides Douglas (and Kubrick would have rather not), Sellers is the only actor Stanley worked with more than once.

You guys.
    Matthew McConaughey gives the performance of his career that well deserves this year's Oscar for best Actor. If you have paid attention to the cinema world lately, you are no doubt aware that Mathew McConaughey has had something of a huge career boost the past several years. Each movie he's in he seems to be even more talented. In his last few films, McConaughey has came out of his shell by not showing that he can just play hot shot lawyers but almost any role. His acting is true and top notch form in MUD.
    From the moment he's on screen to the very ending of the movie, McConaughey draws you in and captures every second he's on film perfectly. His emotions, actions and even the way he talks is downright to the T for the character he's playing. Other up and coming actors need to pay attention to rolls like this, because it is these rolls that will defy the boundaries and become legends in themselves that are even bigger than the characters on screen.
    Legends in themselves

4/17: Swans, Angel Olsen
    4/18: Lee Coombs, Aphrodite @ Public Works
    4/24-26: Stagecoach
    5/1: Giegling Showcase @ Oakland
    5/2: Sleater-Kinney @ The Masonic
    5/3: Four Tet B2B Floating Points @ Public Works
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent

As someone not intimately familiar with Matthew McConaughey's groundbreaking "hot shot lawyer" character portrayals, can any of you fine movie goers point me in the right direction?

4/17: Swans, Angel Olsen
    4/18: Lee Coombs, Aphrodite @ Public Works
    4/24-26: Stagecoach
    5/1: Giegling Showcase @ Oakland
    5/2: Sleater-Kinney @ The Masonic
    5/3: Four Tet B2B Floating Points @ Public Works
    5/28: Refused, White Lung @ GAMH
    5/30: Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriet's
    6/2: Kiasmos ft. Olafur Arnalds, Rival Consoles @ The Independent