Page 962 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 957958959960961962963964965966967 ... LastLast
Results 28,831 to 28,860 of 31207

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    Also, I dragged a boning knife along the bottom of the copy of Flight I rented from redbox a few nights ago. There is no excuse for anybody who was smart enough to fill out their credit card application without error to devote any time to that sun-whitened piece of shit.
    How mature of you

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Look, i think we can all agree that tallguy's summation of that movie is the most pretentious thing ever written. Let's not dwell on it. (psst. Let's dwell on it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I always knew someone would snatch the crown from Passive. I just didn't think it would happen here.
    Really? While i enjoy this thread, this is the one thread I think of comprising of such things.

I finally saw "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" for the first time tonight. It was on Encore, so I decided to watch it (I live under a rock, so I'm always the last person to see a movie... if I see it at all). I thought it lived up to the hype. I liked it a lot. But I've never read the book. How similar are they? Does the movie do the book justice?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2016 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    I finally saw "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" for the first time tonight. It was on Encore, so I decided to watch it (I live under a rock, so I'm always the last person to see a movie... if I see it at all). I thought it lived up to the hype. I liked it a lot. But I've never read the book. How similar are they? Does the movie do the book justice?
    Which version did you watch - the original Swedish one or the Fincher one? The general consensus from readers of the series seems to be that the Swedish trilogy lived up to the source material pretty well. I haven't heard much feedback in regards to the English language one, but it's essentially the exact same movie with better overall production value and bigger name actors.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

I didnt even know there were different versions. I saw the one with Daniel Craig in it.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2016 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

As was to be expected, I thought Spring Breakers was fantastic. I don't know that I would call it a work of existentialism, though it certainly has some fascinating phenomenological currents both in the filmmaking (which emphasizes the purity of experience and the unreliability of truth beyond it) and in the way that Korine wishes the audience to approach it (i.e., without presupposing his motives). I also wouldn't classify it as meditative; there's simply too much Skrillex blasting to get much thinking in. It DEFINITELY qualifies as a fever dream - a hazy, candy-colored, intentionally disorienting carousel of sad fantasies and sadder waking states. As someone who has always found the element of empathy to be deeply undervalued in Harmony Korine's work, this was almost exactly in line with what I anticipated - which is part of why I loved it. I'm sure Harmony doesn't worship the scene this film takes place in, but I don't exactly agree with some of the prevailing thought that he's out to shred it, either; he clearly gets who it appeals to and why, and as absurd as it may look, I don't think we're meant to judge them for it. The ending rings a Taxi Driver bell for me - high praise that is well-earned. I wish Harmony would have lost the montage that opens the film; these images recur several times throughout, and had the second instance been the first, it would have had much greater impact. Franco was excellent, and the girls were equally so.

Because no discussion here of any Harmony Korine film can be complete without acknowledging Randy's take...make no mistake, he would hate the shit out of it. He may find it more appealing than Trash Humpers, but there are too many atmospheric detours in this for him not to pull out the same arguments about Harmony's inability to tell a Story. The film certainly has enough "tentpole" moments to satisfy this rigid criteria, but it functions as perhaps the biggest neon-lit signpost of its uselessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

24 of Kurosawa's films are free this weekend on Hulu to celebrate his birthday today. Happy Birthday to the legend, Akira Kurosawa!

http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/hap...akira-kurosawa

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14, Beach House 12/17&19
    Events
    Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

I wish Stallone would make Cobra 2. It's one of my favorite Stallone movies.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Maximum Overdrive!
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    do the reviews of spring breakers talk about the male gaze? do they talk about haneke on lsd?
    this was definitely a big part of it, but i didn't expect the race stuff that completely took over the narrative... not that it surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I wish Harmony would have lost the montage that opens the film; these images recur several times throughout, and had the second instance been the first, it would have had much greater impact. Franco was excellent, and the girls were equally so.
    i don't really agree here. i actually think it was an appropriate way to get at the ideal being sought before we actually see the social machinations wrapped up in the seeking... korine has always been a big fan of bookending his establishing segments in that way. I'm not sure "impact" was what he was going for... given that anyone going into the movie expected that to be a part of the film. It definitely fits within korine's approach to want to make sure that the audience is latched onto that same ideal as we follow the girls on their initial escapade. he's never been one for revelations, subtle or not.

loved the film though. as always, korine nails musical segments. also, the soundtrack was perfect. franco was incredible. on first viewing, might be second only to julien donkey boy in my book.

also, thrilled to see it made back its money on the first wide release day.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 03-23-2013 at 11:53 AM.

I'm anxious to see it again and focus more on the racial material. I was caught off guard by it (which, in retrospect, doesn't make any sense given the knowledge of who Franco was playing), so I'm still a bit unclear on the perspective it was taking.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Went to see Olympus Has Fallen this afternoon. It was edge of your seat, very violent but tons of good action. The first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes was really great. It was predictable in the end, but there are several A list actors and a couple of really solid performances.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

"Edge of your seat"? As in, you were on the verge of walking out the entire time?

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Which version did you watch - the original Swedish one or the Fincher one? The general consensus from readers of the series seems to be that the Swedish trilogy lived up to the source material pretty well. I haven't heard much feedback in regards to the English language one, but it's essentially the exact same movie with better overall production value and bigger name actors.
    I didn't like the Swedish version at all, by way of comparison... and I was bored to tears by the Swedish sequels. Like, completely, gotta do my taxes whilst I watch bored. Granted, I never read the books... but they were pretty bad. I think someone told me they were made for Swedish TV, so the budget was crap... and it looks it. Other major complaints are that all the actors are horribly ugly compared to American movies (boy are they), and the main complaint about the sequels are tied to the story and spoilery.

Suffice it to say my opinion is far from the popular opinion with film people, who lick the balls of the original version. Take it or leave it!

Real "film people" hate everything involving girls with dragon tattoos.

I just watched Brave. Fuckin' Pixar, they always do such an awesome job.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I think ParaNorman should have gotten the Oscar over Brave though.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I wish Stallone would make Cobra 2. It's one of my favorite Stallone movies.
    or Oscar pls

Coachella Junkie

I think I might have been wrong about Korine all along, or he's changed fundamentally with age. Not to play into the sexy swagger debate, but I did find his outlook to be refreshingly existential. I thought he was clear of the narrative pull. I though Spring Breakers would be largely a popcul prank. I'm not so sure anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV698VMwBQ4

The aspects I desperately needed to be dismissive jokes were played straight. The rolling tears on the bus departure seem to have been sincere storytelling. It came off as amateurish and cliched on a level I didn't want to encounter. The philosophy inherent in Gummo isn't present in Spring Breakers outside of select scenes like the Britney Spears montage. There's far too much Earnest Drama on display for my taste.

I applaud him for the ability to transition into a wide release on the back of the Mickey Mouse Club, but I'm just not confident anymore that Korine was crafting the cosmic joke I hoped for out of this film.

... okay, I seriously gotta hear this because whether or not I agree with your opinions I can generally at least understand the logic you use to arrive at your conclusions.

What exactly is the "philosophy" that was present in his other movies?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    What exactly is the "philosophy" that was present in his other movies?
    Fuck it let's put it on camera.

Oh okay, I thought you meant that there was like actually a point to what he was filming.

Coachella Junkie

I elevate uniqueness above quality. I'd rather a film/album/book/etsy be completely unexpected than it be of "value." I thought Korine was out to make something that's never been made before, for the sake of that enterprise. I don't know whether that's still his goal. It seems to have been before Mister Lonely. It's disheartening to me.

Coachella Junkie

Oh okay, I thought you meant that there was like actually a point to what he was filming.
    There absolutely was a point in the past. You may reject it as a valid use of film or time or etc., but creating a thing that has never been created is above and before the ability to competently craft. Fill up the spaces.

Alright, fair enough. I don't agree with the value you place on it but I can dig the premise.

So basically Spring Breakers was Korine's usual incredibly annoying content wall-to-wall except this time he turned his terrible sensibilities towards trying to actually inject a genre/plot as well?

Coachella Junkie

And just to seal this up, the point is there. It's been there. A collection of moving images shouldn't have to boil down to something you can put on paper. The slavishness to the process of transitioning from script to screen is a cancer that crowds out the real ability of cinema.

Okay but was that really something he invented? I mean c'mon. I'm not a film history buff by any means, but for fuck's sake I'm pretty sure that people were making movies that were eschewing the need for a script/plot and just trying to using images in motion to convey emotions long before Korine. It just seems to me like he took that and made it something... I dunno, gross and uncomfortable.

Coachella Junkie

Alright, fair enough. I don't agree with the value you place on it but I can dig the premise.

So basically Spring Breakers was Korine's usual incredibly annoying content wall-to-wall except this time he turned his terrible sensibilities towards trying to actually inject a genre/plot as well?
    Eh. Julien Donkey-Boy and Mister Lonely fit that description as well, but I'm not angry at their attempts. He's playing with narrative in those films but staying true to what I believed was a central tenet of his filmmaking; e.g. there is no cause and effect, just varying levels of deprivation. That's on me. It might have been me reading too much into Gummo and Trash Humpers all along. Spring Breakers on first reaction destroys those sensibilities. We'll see.

Coachella Junkie

Okay but was that really something he invented? I mean c'mon. I'm not a film history buff by any means, but for fuck's sake I'm pretty sure that people were making movies that were eschewing the need for a script/plot and just trying to using images in motion to convey emotions long before Korine. It just seems to me like he took that and made it something... I dunno, gross and uncomfortable.
    I'm not suggesting he was the first person to throw a script away. But you need to put him in that group to properly assess his ability. Gross and uncomfortable? Yes please.