Page 947 of 1039 FirstFirst ... 942943944945946947948949950951952 ... LastLast
Results 28,381 to 28,410 of 31161

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

  1. #28381
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I don't recall Candyland being particularly funny so I don't see how it was treating it trivially. I think slave traders getting shot is fucking hilarious. I would watch a loop of racist assholes being murdered in hilarious fashions all day long if there was a channel for it. And I think your primary problem with both those movies is that you don't know any Jews and you don't know any blacks either.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  2. #28382
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Candyland, not the whole South.

    Look I didn't feel great about Basterds, either. I'm only drawing a distinction to point out that Django goes much further than Basterds did in turning the particulars of an awful historical event into fodder for a revenge flick. I mean, no one in that movie throws a can of Zyklon B at a Nazi or conducts medical experiments as part of an elaborate revenge fantasy.
    Yet this was the movies charm whether you liked it or not. The foreign press obviously liked it very much

  3. #28383
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Well, sure, Vigo. But at a certain level, you expect the formalistic aspects of quality cinema to be competent if not excellent. That's why I'm moving on to ideology; my point isn't that QT shoots his films poorly or that Jamie Foxx couldn't carry his role.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  4. #28384
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    I don't recall Candyland being particularly funny so I don't see how it was treating it trivially. I think slave traders getting shot is fucking hilarious. I would watch a loop of racist assholes being murdered in hilarious fashions all day long if there was a channel for it. And I think your primary problem with both those movies is that you don't know any Jews and you don't know any blacks either.
    Something can be trivialized even if it's not being played for yuks, Randy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  5. #28385
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    So you found it historically degrading and wish someone would make the Schindlers List of American slavery? Understandable, but Django simply isn't that film nor is QT that kind of filmmaker.

  6. #28386
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I don't think we need a Schindler's List of American slavery. And I'm not asking Tarantino to make a different kind of film to satisfy me. I am pointing out what I found troublesome about the film that he did make. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  7. #28387
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Explain to me what was being trivialized in Candyland exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  8. #28388
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,227

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    It's probably futile to argue this, but one man's exploitation is another man's empowerment. If you believe Tarantino's only reasons for making Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are to pad his bank account and glorify himself - which would require you to ignore the fact that he put his own salary on the line in order to get the latter made, among other things - then you'll be prone to believe that he's trivializing atrocity. If you understand that a fundamental motivation for exploitation cinema/cinema in general/art in general is to give voice to those who don't always have one in reality, you'll understand that while the film may be a humorous fantasy, it's not for lack of respect to the severity of history. The fantasy kills are presented as ultra-graphic and stylized and often hilarious, but the violence that mirrors actual slave practices is the opposite.

    Personally, I wouldn't rank Django or Basterds higher than his top/first four (and I will always count Kill Bill as a single work, though I do find the second half slightly more glorious than the first). But if those two are #5 and 6, that's a quality fucking filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  9. #28389
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    In particular I would like to hear how Django is offensive and Blazing Saddles is not.

    And neither are.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  10. #28390
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    "people typically don't get it so sometimes you have to shove it down their throats"
    John Cale

  11. #28391
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    How about Car Wash.

  12. #28392
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Also, shit like this is exactly why I can't stand white people. Where the fuck is Ally, goddammit? I wanna Mandingo fight her.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  13. #28393
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,921

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    The fantasy kills are presented as ultra-graphic and stylized and often hilarious, but the violence that mirrors actual slave practices is the opposite.
    Here's part of the problem though: actual slave practices turn out to not be nearly entertaining enough, so Tarantino invokes the historically-dubious practice of mandingo fighting to drive the plot at Candyland. Like all QT films, it becomes less about history, more about an homage to some exploitation film or b-movie he saw one time. Which is fine, I'm not going to roast the guy for making the kinds of movies he wants to, and I don't think it's fair for me as the viewer to impute bad faith on his part. However, I also don't think it's fair for his partisans to then turn around and claim he is doing something especially redeeming or empowering in all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  14. #28394
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    It's probably futile to argue this, but one man's exploitation is another man's empowerment. If you believe Tarantino's only reasons for making Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are to pad his bank account and glorify himself - which would require you to ignore the fact that he put his own salary on the line in order to get the latter made, among other things - then you'll be prone to believe that he's trivializing atrocity. If you understand that a fundamental motivation for exploitation cinema/cinema in general/art in general is to give voice to those who don't always have one in reality, you'll understand that while the film may be a humorous fantasy, it's not for lack of respect to the severity of history. The fantasy kills are presented as ultra-graphic and stylized and often hilarious, but the violence that mirrors actual slave practices is the opposite.

    Personally, I wouldn't rank Django or Basterds higher than his top/first four (and I will always count Kill Bill as a single work, though I do find the second half slightly more glorious than the first). But if those two are #5 and 6, that's a quality fucking filmography.
    It's funny how Spike Lee can't see it in this context especially considering that his only good flick, Do The Right Thing, accomplishes just this to a T, which is the reason that it's such a good film.

  15. #28395
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Oh Jesus Christ why don't you just suck Spike Lee off you jerkbag.

    edit: referring to Mirior. Vigo, shut the fuck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  16. #28396
    Coachella Junkie stinkbutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,272

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Miror would you be saying any of this if Django was made by a black man?
    DREAM BIGGER

  17. #28397
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,137

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    It's funny how Spike Lee can't see it in this context especially considering that his only good flick
    Banned and ignored.

  18. #28398
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    But you're still a fat lonely bitter pussy, Pot.

  19. #28399
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    29,261

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I've met Pot many a time and can confirm that he is not fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  20. #28400
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,891

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've met Pot many a time and can confirm that he is not fat.
    "Bitter pussy" was accurate though, right?

  21. #28401
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Huh.

  22. #28402
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,227

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Here's part of the problem though: actual slave practices turn out to not be nearly entertaining enough, so Tarantino invokes the historically-dubious practice of mandingo fighting to drive the plot at Candyland. Like all QT films, it becomes less about history, more about an homage to some exploitation film or b-movie he saw one time. Which is fine, I'm not going to roast the guy for making the kinds of movies he wants to, and I don't think it's fair for me as the viewer to impute bad faith on his part. However, I also don't think it's fair for his partisans to then turn around and claim he is doing something especially redeeming or empowering in all of this.
    "Historically-dubious" misses the point. Tarantino's work has always used mythology and legend-building as....it's barely even subtext, it's a major component of many of his films and best characters. Mandingo fighting may not be historically documented, but clearly it has become part of the cultural narrative of American slavery - therefore, it bears inclusion in Tarantino's film.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  23. #28403
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    In fact, a LOT of the characters in his movie are, believe it or not, fictional people. Shocking, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  24. #28404
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE'S NO FIVE POINT PALM EXPLODING HEART TECHNIQUE IN MARTIAL ARTS?!
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  25. #28405
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    "Bitter pussy" was accurate though, right?
    He didn't have a father to slap him correct and say "act like a man goddamn it"
    for the death of such sluts I go rejoicing

  26. #28406
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    29,261

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    "Historically-dubious" misses the point. Tarantino's work has always used mythology and legend-building as....it's barely even subtext, it's a major component of many of his films and best characters. Mandingo fighting may not be historically documented, but clearly it has become part of the cultural narrative of American slavery - therefore, it bears inclusion in Tarantino's film.
    Not to mention the fact that, as his movies develop more and more, they seem to be operating in a single, consistent alternative universe, as characters share last names and family traits throughout the periods. I can't wait to see how people link Django to the rest of the films.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  27. #28407
    old school buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,529

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    When did Mandingo fighting become part of the cultural narrative of American slavery?

  28. #28408
    Coachella Junkie stinkbutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,272

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Well Django and Broomhilda Von Shaft are supposed to be be great great great grandparents of John Shaft
    DREAM BIGGER

  29. #28409
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Honestly, It was the first I heard of it, but it seemed like something that would've been.

    I thought mandingo meant huge black cock

  30. #28410
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    29,261

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Well Django and Broomhilda Von Shaft are supposed to be be great great great grandparents of John Shaft
    I just read this article claiming that Tarantino has defined two distinct universes for his films: the Realer than Real universe, where Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds occur, and the Movie Movie universe, where From Dusk Til Dawn and Kill Bill occur. The Movie Movie stuff apparently draws from other films and is more ridiculous in its violence. I could see Django being included in that universe based on that idea (and it makes sense, with her last name.)

    And Jackie Brown is just separate.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Similar Threads

  1. Bring back the Coachella Movie Lounge.
    By bballarl in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
  2. Where's the movie thread?
    By amyzzz in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •