Page 935 of 1040 FirstFirst ... 930931932933934935936937938939940 ... LastLast
Results 28,021 to 28,050 of 31182

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    It's been a lot of fun so far (except for when we tried watching the Samurai Trilogy)

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Where can I go to find out about LA screenings so I don't miss them? Is there a blog or RSS feed that posts them?
    This site aggregates all public screenings (i.e., not guild or other exclusive groups):
    www.moviesinla.org
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

The three 50's films about Mushashi Miyamoto, the legendary swordsman? They're rather generically called the Samurai Trilogy. Do you know it? Because gooooood lord I could not watch it. They're all based off a novel and the films seem to take scenes from it and present them with no connective tissue, edited together in a disorienting mash. The second film even has explanations of what's going on mixed into the subtitles. On top of that Mushashi is a crazy douchebag who's too good at kiling people. He basically kills people at random for getting in his way, without even using a steel blade. He fucking bludgeons people to death. Once I figured out the what the overall story was (crazy fucked up man learns to NOT KILL PEOPLE, becomes Zen master) I gave up watching it.

Samurai II was kind of worth watching for this shot though:

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Thing is, back in 2004 I understand something being made that required multiple viewings to fully grasp or whatever. There are several different films that come to mind in that regard. But, like it or not, things have changed a lot since then. Between music, television, and film, these days we are so constantly bombarded from all angles (with higher quality content than before imho) that it's a lot harder for the consumer to find time to revisit things. Primer may very well be something that requires that. I just don't know that I cared about it enough to make the time for it in the near future.
    Yeah, this is not some kind of modern phenomenon. I can't think of many great films of any era that don't demand multiple viewings, whether it's Sunrise or Primer or The Master. I thought Primer was amazing both times I've seen it and I would happily watch it anytime I got the chance.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

i've probably watched Primer 6 or 7 times... and not because it is some impenetrable mystery (i think two viewings are probably all you need to put the pieces together), but because it is just really damn fun and unlike anything else out there in terms of its dynamics and pacing. can't wait for his new one.

Yesterday I watched Killing Them Softly. It was OK, there are a handful of great scenes, but a few of the talky dialogue sequences got me bored. Also, I had a hard time keeping track of who was who. I loved the opening credits sequence. Maybe I need to watch it again.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Folks have been saying that forever; it's about them personally, not about the external world.
    This is true. I thought about it again today (and while being much more sober haha) and that's definitely the case.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/23 - Ceremony - Echoplex (?)
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy
    5/27 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Warner Grand (?)
    5/30 - Spoon - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Klaus Kinski allowing himself to be humiliated for a role in 'Woyzeck', then delivering the end all murder scene on his wife. It's hard to recommend this film as it is not to.

It's difficult for me to imagine many people liking The Color Wheel as much as I did. It's one of the more abrasive comedies in recent memory, mining some of the nastiest sentiments imaginable for increasingly bruising laughs....and yet it ultimately involves into a somewhat devastating study of intimacy. I don't know how to describe it further without fucking up the experience, but if you have Amazon Instant Video or iTunes synched to your TV, I would highly recommend this one. I'm pissed I didn't see this 16mm gem on film when it played the Downtown Indie last summer.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/16, Spoon 5/28, Neutral Milk Hotel 6/1, Sufjan Stevens 6/5&6, Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14
    Events
    SDCC 7/9-12/2015, Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

Eh, I liked the Lone Ranger better

Just watched Sleepwalk With Me last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd seen some of Birbiglia's standup somewhere and I'd forgotten how funny he was! I just loved the entire vibe of the movie; from the opening address to the camera to his adopted fictional name (Pandamiglio) to the actually heart-felt semi-romcom plot , I thought the entire movie was a complete hit. Many moments of hilarity balanced perfectly with a sense of genuineness. Recommend.

Also, watched That's My Boy while sooooooo high the other night and I loved it. I was expecting the worst movie ever from all the terrible reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. If you enjoy Sandler (especially old Sandler like Billy Madison, Waterboy and especially weird Sandler like Little Nicky, or Zohan) then you will definitely laugh at this movie. I know I'm talking to a sliver of the movie-going public when I address those fans (I'm one of them), but for whatever reason, all Sandler's weird voices and abominable acting is somehow endearing to me. I also love the delightfully meta-sense running throughout the entire movie runs and its complete awareness/disdain for wedding-movie cliches; if you've got nothing to do for 2 hours, and you want some gut laughs with some friends, smoke some weed and watch That's My Boy. ESPECIALLY if you know nothing about the plot going in.
    5/9 - Suishou No Fune (水晶の舟) - The Empty Gallery - HK
    6/7 - NHK'Koyxeи / Mark Fell - The Empty Gallery - HK

Ha, you sold me on That's My Boy. Well done sir, well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

hahahaha yes
    5/9 - Suishou No Fune (水晶の舟) - The Empty Gallery - HK
    6/7 - NHK'Koyxeи / Mark Fell - The Empty Gallery - HK

I'll be there when Superman is released just to stare at Henry Cavill's chiseled face for a couple of hours. I have no idea whether or not he can act, since he didn't display any prowess in The Tudors (in his defense, no one else in that show did either) and I hope to god his American accent won't be terrible, but DAMN he'll be the most beautiful Superman ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Ohh that guy from The Tudors is Superman? He's so pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

He was decent in Immortals. My girlfriend was very pleased that he was basically just wearing underwear the entire time.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

I bet she was. Hell yeah:

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Anyone check out the new-ish Criterion Blu of Heaven's Gate yet? I watched it awhile ago, but it's been really sticking with me as of late...
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Stoked to see the Hobbit tonight in HFR 3D!

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/16, Spoon 5/28, Neutral Milk Hotel 6/1, Sufjan Stevens 6/5&6, Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14
    Events
    SDCC 7/9-12/2015, Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

I'm stoked for you bro. Wicked stoked.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I saw Sarah Polley's The Last Waltz last night and it was so good. Michelle Williams is amazing.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

For those of you who hate 3D movies and somehow get dragged into seeing them or you find yourself without the choice to not see it in 3D, there is always this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e9b4/
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

I saw Sarah Polley's The Last Waltz last night and it was so good. Michelle Williams is amazing.
    *Take This

I will be seeing this sometime soon. She's the best actress working right now.

The Watch has to be the worst movie of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    *Take This

I will be seeing this sometime soon. She's the best actress working right now.
    Right, kept messing that up. I noticed last night it just showed up on Netflix Instant. I missed the one week it was on a screen before.
    last.fm

I have been wanting to see this along with the documentary she did about her parents. Unfortunately the movie had limited release here- did you see it on Netflix?
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I saw Sarah Polley's Take This Waltz last night and it was so good. Michelle Williams is amazing.
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Just watched it tonight, and I thought it was excellent. Beautifully shot film. Odd casting choice, but I thought Seth Rogen was surprisingly good in a dramatic role.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/23 - Ceremony - Echoplex (?)
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy
    5/27 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Warner Grand (?)
    5/30 - Spoon - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare