Page 897 of 1038 FirstFirst ... 892893894895896897898899900901902 ... LastLast
Results 26,881 to 26,910 of 31139

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

sequels, terminator 2. may be a horrible sequel according to cracked, but such a great movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I'm taking my 10-year old daughter to a 35mm screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Nitehawk Cinema in Brooklyn this afternoon. We've gone a few times for other films in their weekend brunch series and it's always a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I love "The FP" so so very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

What the hell is that? And what the hell was wrong with your avatar? Sorry, too much coffee. Haven’t seen anything par excellence lately, but these are in the pipeline:

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
    The Grand Duel
    On the Beach
    The Four Feathers (1939)
    Doce Passaro
    Torso

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic core View Post
    I love "The FP" so so very much.
    Thanks for mentioning this! I hadn't thought to check if it was on dvd yet, just bumped it up my queue!
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Finally got around to Uncle Boonmee last night, which was a delight. Undoubtedly a very slow film, but one that casts a hypnotic mood that's difficult to shake. It almost seems like an amateur film in the way its presented, but the way it hovers in your subconscious is masterful. The deadpan acting kind of reminded me of Herzog's Heart Of Glass (which is one of those movies I could really stand to re-watch), which, aside from the slow place, I could see being a lot of peoples' main criticism of the film, but I thought it was totally appropriate for the tone they were trying to evoke. Also essential was the soundtrack, which was mostly just nature sounds, although there was this slight rumbling during the scene where the spirits first visit the family that was effective in conveying a sense of excitement and slight fear in coming into contact with the supernatural. And then there's the pure WTFness of the catfish scene. Very fascinating cinematic experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Finally got around to Uncle Boonmee last night, which was a delight. Undoubtedly a very slow film, but one that casts a hypnotic mood that's difficult to shake. It almost seems like an amateur film in the way its presented, but the way it hovers in your subconscious is masterful. The deadpan acting kind of reminded me of Herzog's Heart Of Glass (which is one of those movies I could really stand to re-watch), which, aside from the slow place, I could see being a lot of peoples' main criticism of the film, but I thought it was totally appropriate for the tone they were trying to evoke. Also essential was the soundtrack, which was mostly just nature sounds, although there was this slight rumbling during the scene where the spirits first visit the family that was effective in conveying a sense of excitement and slight fear in coming into contact with the supernatural. And then there's the pure WTFness of the catfish scene. Very fascinating cinematic experience.
    Have you seen Tropical Malady?
    5/01 - Sleater-Kinney - Palladium
    5/03 - Lightning Bolt/Liturgy - Echoplex
    5/05 - Thee Oh Sees - The Smell
    5/08 - The Acid - El Rey (?)
    5/14 - Melody's Echo Chamber - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    pube farm
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I started another one of his but kind of lost interest early and wandered off with the intent of returning to it later, which of course never happened, but I forget which one it was. I'll get around to that one some time.

You all were just teasing me about Alien3. It really was as horrible as I remembered. My god, the CGI alien! Not scary. I very much enjoyed "Tywin Lannister's" scenes though; he has a quiet intensity and deadpan sarcasm that is unmatched. And Lance Henriksen's brief scene was creepy. But the movie was too long and had too many useless characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I watched a few this weekend:

Beyond the Black Rainbow - I went into this one almost ice-cold, expecting very little apart from a droning musical score. Overall I think it was a wise decision, though there were many things I failed to catch due to severely a muffled dialogue track...but regardless, this lo-fi science fiction movie - which concerns a young girl stuck in a psychiatric ward that is chemically regulating her emotions (and may or may not be harvesting them) - is a fucking blast. I heard the words "style over substance" a number of times on my way out of the theater, but I'm not entirely sure I agree. The film is a relentless assault of extreme perspective shifts, oversaturated colors, eye-popping set design (and of course, cascading analogue synth lines) for all but a few crucial moments, yet none of these techniques are employed as mere Tony Scott-esque histrionics; it seemed, based on the timing of the breaks, that the intent is to bring the viewer into this girl's state of delirium when inside the ward. I have to watch it again to see if there's much more to it than this, but I do want to.

Neighboring Sounds - I also went into this one with virtually no advance information (to the point of even being mistaken on what nation it was from), but as I missed the Beasts of the Southern Wild screening last week, this was to be my one LAFF engagement this year. I thought I had been led to a possible discovery (a few outlets highlighted it as perhaps the best film playing this year), but no - it was basically a total drag and I left halfway through. So don't consider this a "review". Just know that, if this movie is playing a festival near you in the next few months, you might want to try something else.

Tiny Furniture - I had avoided Lena Dunham's film during its festival/theatrical run due to its reputation as a Juno-level celebration of all things "indie" - the culmination of which arrived in the 1-2 Internet freakout of the movie's controversial entry in the Criterion Collection and the petty reception of "Girls" and its exclusively Caucasian, trust-fund-baby cast. But something compelled me to take a chance on the series, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Dunham (as the show's author) is not only quite bold, but also significantly more introspective than the character she plays. Unfortunately, despite a large degree of thematic overlap (let's face it - her life is her subject at this point), that quality doesn't have backwards compatibility with her debut movie. It makes Tiny Furniture feel like an early sketch of what "Girls" would become, only with less perspective and - despite the presence of Jemima Kirke and Alex Karpovsky - ineffectual acting, mainly because of Dunham's decision to cast her mother and sister (actresses neither) to play facsimiles of themselves. She gets to take a few more chances visually here than on the series (which is on the high end of the visual adventurousness spectrum for TV....but still, it's TV), but that's about the only real merit, apart from evaluating the trajectory of a young artist still growing into her voice.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Is Beyond The Black Rainbow playing anywhere, or did you catch a one-off screening?

Also, did Take This Waltz ever make it into theaters or is there any news about home release? I've heard such good things about it.

In other news I was delighted to find that Starship Troopers made to Netflix Instant and I rewatched it again yesterday morning. Such a perfectly hammy movie.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Is Beyond The Black Rainbow playing anywhere, or did you catch a one-off screening?

Also, did Take This Waltz ever make it into theaters or is there any news about home release? I've heard such good things about it.

In other news I was delighted to find that Starship Troopers made to Netflix Instant and I rewatched it again yesterday morning. Such a perfectly hammy movie.
    Beyond the Black Rainbow is at Cinefamily through Thursday, although all the screenings are at 11 pm or midnight with the exception of one 7:30 show on Wednesday.

Take This Waltz officially opens in theaters on July 6th. It's on VOD right now.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Beyond the Black Rainbow is at Cinefamily through Thursday, although all the screenings are at 11 pm or midnight with the exception of one 7:30 show on Wednesday.

Take This Waltz officially opens in theaters on July 6th. It's on VOD right now.
    I'm looking forward to Take This Waltz. I've heard such good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

FYI - More Beyond the Black Rainbow shows added at Cinefamily on Sunday through Tuesday, and at decent times.

A million years after everybody else, I really enjoyed Attack The Block. It killed off the characters I liked in the order of most-liked downwards, which was refreshing.

I watched Seeking A Friend For the End of the World this weekend.

I thought it was boring. The dialogue is dull, and the funny moments (very few of them) can't salvage the film. Some will probably see it as a heartfelt story(my Dad really enjoyed it), but it's not worth seeing in the theater. Save it for a rental with your significant other.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    A million years after everybody else, I really enjoyed Attack The Block. It killed off the characters I liked in the order of most-liked downwards, which was refreshing.
    Yes! I watched it about a month or 2 ago and loved it. It got to a point where I wasn't even expecting any major characters to even die, let alone the ones that did. They did a good job at actually making me care about who they killed.
    last.fm

I found it a tad overrated, because all the kids at the film school raved about it like it was their "Jaws". It definitely had some not very entertaining portions, and the heavy-handedness of the "We're all in this together, sorry we mugged you" was a pretty childish justification to me. But then again, I'm old, so I'm not the target audience. Plus, they stole their creatures from the comic "Bone", more or less.

I think if I ever wanted to watch ATB again, I'd opt for "Shaun of the Dead" instead. More consistently funny for a Brit genre-breaking comedy.

I also watched "Game Change" which I felt was pretty obvious but still had some clever moments and very good performances. There was no secret that Sarah Palin was making a fool of herself during the campaign, so that part wasn't exactly relevatory.

See, I couldn't help feeling like people are in love with the concept of Shaun of the Dead rather than the film itself. I like it, but big chunks of it are a bit dry. The jokes are a bit thinner on the ground than everybody seems to remember and the action isn't strong enough to take over, so it sort of falls between two stools. It's a really likeable mutt of a film , and I'll watch it when it's on, but I think it gets a little more credit than it's actually due.

Attack The Block is an altogether different animal. There's humour in there, but if you stripped it away, it would still function. It would be much harder to like the core characters, but it's still a really strong action horror, regardless of its budget.

Gotta say too, I was familiar with Joe Cornish for his fairly light surreal comedy before so it was a pleasant surprise that this setting and these characters didn't trigger any middle-class-white-guy-trying-to speak-jive alarms, it all feels "real".

Late on my write up but I braved (heh) the opening day crowds to see Brave on friday and was greeting by a less-than-packed screening with pretty well behaved kids, so that was nice. I think the parents were taking them all to the 3D screening.

It was a really lovely film, that has been advertised in such a way that even if you have seen the trailers you don't know much about what happens during the 2nd and 3rd act. I appreciated their efforts in keeping this "a secret" and believe it made a huge effect on the viewer finding out on the creators' terms. It struck a perfect balance, for me at least being a fan of both, of being both a Pixar AND Disney film. Maybe that was a given with it being Pixar's first foray into fantasy. A great experience on the big screen if you are able to find a not-so-crowded screening of it.

There was also a very lovely moment once the slideshow credits ended but before the rolling credits began. Something I can only describe as Pixar magic that put a smile on my face. And there was a funny call back scene at the end of the credits if you have a minute to stick around for.

The ONLY major downside to Brave is that it has to follow the annual Pixar short that proceeds. I could have stood up and walked out of the theater after La Luna was shown and been fully content in spending my $7.50 for a matinee ticket. The pinnacle of Pixar's story telling for me. PLEASE get there early so you dont miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    The ONLY major downside to Brave is that it has to follow the annual Pixar short that proceeds. I could have stood up and walked out of the theater after La Luna was shown and been fully content in spending my $7.50 for a matinee ticket. The pinnacle of Pixar's story telling for me. PLEASE get there early so you dont miss it.
    For the Birds was terrific. Those shorts really are fantastically done.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

See, I couldn't help feeling like people are in love with the concept of Shaun of the Dead rather than the film itself. I like it, but big chunks of it are a bit dry. The jokes are a bit thinner on the ground than everybody seems to remember and the action isn't strong enough to take over, so it sort of falls between two stools. It's a really likeable mutt of a film , and I'll watch it when it's on, but I think it gets a little more credit than it's actually due.
    Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed when I finally saw it. Glad it's not just me.

Oh, oh, and one last thing about Attack the Block - that Moses kid has an amazing face, I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Really, they could have saved quite a bit on set dressing if they'd realised that everything outside of his immediate radius was basically a waste.

I love the Stone Roses joke in SotD.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Oh, oh, and one last thing about Attack the Block - that Moses kid has an amazing face, I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Really, they could have saved quite a bit on set dressing if they'd realised that everything outside of his immediate radius was basically a waste.
    Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that John Boyega hasn't gotten, like, a lot more work in the past year. The movie made jack shit in the US (which thoroughly surprises me), but he's got the sort of charisma that would seemingly inspire a bunch of big-league directors to find work for him.

I'm a big fan of all three films Edgar Wright has directed so far...but I would probably put Attack the Block over all of them. I need to pick up that Blu-Ray soon.

I remember being super impressed with how lean of a cut Attack the Block was. Relentless. Must watch it again.

Yeah, there's absolutely no fat in Attack the Block - that thing just moves from the very beginning. I'm the opposite from some of you in that i was never really excited for it, never imagined it living up to any of the hype, and then was totally blown away by it.

I also was expecting to see John Boyega blow up a bit - that kid is fucking charismatic as all hell and he does have a terrific look.

As for the Wright comparison, i absolutely adore Scott Pilgrim but i would definitely take ATB over SOTD.
    last.fm

Nothing more than rumors at this point, but I've heard rumblings that Marvel is looking at Boyega for Black Panther.

Well that would be just spiffing. The guy just has intensity up the wazoo, and Black Panther is going to be a tricky character to pull off with any dignity.

The giant Avengers travelling circus put a lot of potentially very cool Marvel projects on the backburner. I really couldn't make myself excited about any one of those films, and I'm not sure if I can forgive them collectively for delaying a Runaways adaptation.