Page 885 of 1039 FirstFirst ... 880881882883884885886887888889890 ... LastLast
Results 26,521 to 26,550 of 31162

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Let's talk about Paris, Texas for a second. It was my first taste of Wenders' work, I watched it yesterday and really liked it, although with the scenery and landscapes I wish it had been on BluRay in the dark. An odd fact I came across - it was supposedly both Kurt Cobain's and Elliott Smith's favorite film of all time, which is kind of crazy considering how they both suffered the same fate.
    I watched it last July and posted about it, which developed quite a bit of conversation. My short original post and then discussion (mostly praise) continues down:
    http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...=1#post2228054

it's still the only Wenders film i've seen, but i found it to be incredible.

EDIT: Also, as I posted about back then, i highly recommend the commentary.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 05-15-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

God yes.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I think Paris, TX is absolutely enchanting. I have to insist that you guys watch Wings of Desire next, though. That one immediately leapt onto my "best films ever seen" list.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Fucking excited to see the Dardenne brothers getting Criterion treatment - La Promesse (which I've seen) and Rosetta (which I've been wanting to see for about 6 years) will both be out in August
    Cool, I want to check out more of their films, the only one I've seen is L'Enfant and I loved it.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

I wonder how well Wings would play to someone that didn't grow up with the two Berlins.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    I wonder how well Wings would play to someone that didn't grow up with the two Berlins.
    As someone who seldom focuses on historical/political context in film evaluation, I can say that it plays great.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    It doesn't matter because Nick Cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

That's like wondering how Apocalypse Now would play for someone who didn't grow up during Vietnam.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I wonder how Jimi Hendrix would play for someone who didn't grow up in a Fender guitar factory.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    I wonder if that crucifix is some sort of hint. She's looking for Jesus on LV-426. Perhaps a clue as to who's in that space jockey suit.

May give Pixote a run through tonight. Why are all Brazilian movies about poverty, theft, and prostitution? Because they love it!

Best novella movie featuring relationship cheating, mature huge titted nipple pokers, and floppy Cuban cocks currently showing for free on FIOS: ‘Perfecto Amor’ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390195/

Also recommend ‘Los Debutantes’ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384036/ and ‘Chicha Tu Madre’ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0778641/ .

The first 20-30 minutes of Wings of Desire casts quite a spell. The whole Peter Falk subplot fell flat for me, though. The dialogue scenes are just no match for that magical opening. Has anyone seen Wenders' sequel Faraway, So Close! ?

This is exciting news - it turns out Weerasethakul's new film is NOT A DOCUMENTARY after all. I bailed on this review early because I want to go in cold.

I saw Andrei Zvyagintsev's Elena at USC last night, and despite some terrific sound design and mostly excellent performances, I left thoroughly unimpressed with this director that I have repeatedly heard described as an "heir to Tarkovsky" or whatever. I think that's a terrible way to judge a film or filmmaker, but this one was pretty boring and, well, my mind had to go somewhere. It's a story of social unrest, following the eponymous middle-aged woman who is married to an older rich guy but seems to have modest origins, as evidenced by her parasitic son who wallows in the slums with an expanding lower-class family; most of the drama unfolds around Elena's efforts to get her husband to pay a bribe so her grandson can get into college. That you can almost certainly imagine why the old man is reluctant to do that is indicative of the film's general obviousness; the events of this world unfold with a plodding inevitability that telegraphs basically every move, and not in a way that adds anything. What's even worse is - I don't think this was the intent, but it's tough to avoid reading the film's social paradigm as the paranoia of the 1%, with much of the film's last act seemingly dedicated to punishing Elena's family for her maneuverings and even likening them to the end of the world. Seriously.

The Dictator was sooo funny. I laughed hard enough to cry at least 3 times.

Many people in the theater were too offended to laugh however...

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/16, Spoon 5/28, Neutral Milk Hotel 6/1, Sufjan Stevens 6/5&6, Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14
    Events
    SDCC 7/9-12/2015, Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

Haywire: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Chronicle: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Advantage goes to Chronicle. Reading about how Soderbergh was trying to do a spaghetti western of sorts, I realize Haywire was supposed to be different than your average flick of that genre. It just really didn't click at all, and something felt off the entire time. And, as Gabe mentioned before, Gina Carano's acting was terrible.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/23 - Ceremony - Echoplex (?)
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy
    5/27 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Warner Grand (?)
    5/30 - Spoon - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The New Beverly is running David Lynch films during Memorial Day weekend... along with some of David Lynch's coffee on sale to drink during the shows... I will definately have to partake.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Haywire: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Chronicle: entertaining movie with a shitty ending.

Advantage goes to Chronicle. Reading about how Soderbergh was trying to do a spaghetti western of sorts, I realize Haywire was supposed to be different than your average flick of that genre. It just really didn't click at all, and something felt off the entire time. And, as Gabe mentioned before, Gina Carano's acting was terrible.
    I actually liked the Haywire ending. I thought it was pretty solidly entertaining all the way through. I'm looking forward to seeing Chronicle. But Netflix has the busted 1 month delay working with that movie. Makes you want to get rid of Netflix, until you realized going to Blockbuster sucks way worse.

Really hoping this is as good as the Armour of God movies. I'm excited for this one.

I really wanted to love Drive. I didn't. There was some good stuff, but it's pretty hollow. When did everyone forget how to do genre films right?
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I just also watched Haywire, and am pretty sure I liked it a lot more than anyone I talked to about it. It really did the trick. it's a quiet little action movie. Carano's tits and thighs are mesmerizing. I love watching her jump off walls to straddle guys' necks.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

I just also watched Haywire, and am pretty sure I liked it a lot more than anyone I talked to about it. It really did the trick. it's a quiet little action movie. Carano's tits and thighs are mesmerizing. I love watching her jump off walls to straddle guys' necks.
    She was just kind of hard to believe in that role, in no way is she slender (which you'd think someone would need to be to pull off moves like that). Aside from maybe Ocean's Thirteen, probably the weakest of the Soderbergh films I've seen.

On another note, I have a confession to make: I just watched The Nightmare Before Christmas for the first time tonight.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/23 - Ceremony - Echoplex (?)
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy
    5/27 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Warner Grand (?)
    5/30 - Spoon - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

She was just kind of hard to believe in that role, in no way is she slender (which you'd think someone would need to be to pull off moves like that). Aside from maybe Ocean's Thirteen, probably the weakest of the Soderbergh films I've seen.
    Are you kidding me? The movie is built off the fact that she can & does pull of moves like that. How in the hell is it hard to believe her in that role when that is the case? And why would being slender make her more believable in that role? Would you honestly believe Zoe Saldana could take her? Sure, here acting isn't great, but was it ever expected to be? She's never acted before. As the movie progressed her acting bothered me less & wasn't a huge problem to begin with as she didn't have to stretch herself all that much. I thought it was a neat action film and look forward to what Carano can do in the future.

Yeah, Carano is actually doing all that stuff for real - that's what people who can do that stuff really look like ahhaha.

EDIT: The only reason she's not "slim" looking is because of muscle. I don't think that woman has much bodyfat on her. She's ripped.

EDIT 2: Also, I think going into thinking of it as a Soderbergh film is the wrong approach to this. It was an experiment on his part, and certainly very different from his usual work. as a smart action film, it pays off in spades, especially as a showcase for a fighter. it's very much the same kind of movie that we're used to seeing from Asian cinema, like a Tony Jaa movie. It was cool seeing her really using her MMA techniques used within a movie - the fights are incredibly believable. The only scene I had to really stretch my imagination was her fight with Ewan McGregor, whom I did not believe for a second would put up that much of a fight.

I was also pleasantly surprised that Michael Fassbender was in it as much as he was, and Channing Tatum was a really fun to watch in it too.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 05-20-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    last.fm

I'm sure this one has been posted before but I'm not going back through all those pages. I just want to know if anyone has seen this yet? I have high expectations, just want some feedback. Thanks

EDIT 2: Also, I think going into thinking of it as a Soderbergh film is the wrong approach to this. It was an experiment on his part, and certainly very different from his usual work.
    After having seen the trailer for Magic Mike, I'm not sure what approach I should take with that one. On one hand, it's Steven Soderbergh. On the other, it's Channing Tatum in a stripper flick. I'm not sure how (or even if) to take it seriously.

Has anyone seen Coriolanus? I am downloading it now, and I fucking love Ralph Fiennes.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    After having seen the trailer for Magic Mike, I'm not sure what approach I should take with that one. On one hand, it's Steven Soderbergh. On the other, it's Channing Tatum in a stripper flick. I'm not sure how (or even if) to take it seriously.
    I don't say this as a pejorative (because I'm a big fan), but apart from Che and maybe something like Bubble, I don't think most of his movies are intended to be "taken seriously". He is an experimenter through and through (at least, within the realm of Hollywood filmmaking), and though his work generally has a unified set of aesthetics, he's made a dozen career moves that are intended to provoke a "what the fuck is this?" reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptHowdyO_o View Post
    I'm sure this one has been posted before but I'm not going back through all those pages. I just want to know if anyone has seen this yet? I have high expectations, just want some feedback. Thanks
    I haven't seen it yet but I will be catching it at Cinefamily in mid-June.