Page 1026 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 10211022102310241025102610271028102910301031 ... LastLast
Results 30,751 to 30,780 of 31207

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I caught Sion Sono's Tokyo Tribe at Beyond Fest this past Saturday night. It was their closing film and... holy. fucking. shit. I can't come straight out and say it's a great film, but it is completely batshit. IF you ever had any desire to see a japanese gang film dressed up in a hip hop musical this is the film for you! I think it's mostly a satire on hip hop culture, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. It's pretty mental.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    It was an absolute disaster of a film that was all over the place without any idea of what it wanted to be, and lazily coined itself as "pulpy fun" or whatever. The entire thing was completely hollow. Provocation for provocation's sake. The acting was either completely flat or ridiculously overwrought, parts of the score made it feel like satire several times throughout the movie (there were scenes in the last act that felt like something from Twin Peaks with the intentionally cheesy score playing in the background). Affleck came off like he was playing himself in some sort of SNL skit more than a few times in the final half hour or so. I've never walked out of a movie, but there were a few times near the end where I nearly did.
    I didn't really evaluate it filmically, I guess I was watching for comparison to the book and the translation. Which is to say I wasn't critical, and I was ready to be entertained.

The vast majority of the book is told in the minds of the characters, and the movie doesn't get a lot of that across. My movie buddy disliked it as well, and greatly questioned the whole point of the film. I saw a lot of my last relationship in the movie...

Semi spoiler.

The twist of Gone Girl is that it is a straight up horror film, and a pretty great one at that. If you look at it as anything else I guess I can see the room for disappointment.
    DREAM BIGGER

I cannot fucking wait for BIRDMAN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I watched Martyrs on Friday night. Honestly, it was probably one of the hardest films I've ever had to watch (up there with Salo). It won't be easy to forget either.
    Watched this tonight. I guess I sorta knew what I was getting into (and morbid curiosity can be tough to not give into this time of the year), but I felt sick to my stomach afterwards. Eli Roth's horseshit was much gorier, but this was much more difficult to watch. Likely the last of its kind that I'll ever watch.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I cannot fucking wait for BIRDMAN.
    No kidding. The more I read/see about it, the more that I want to see it. The fact that they try to limit the amount of cuts so that it looks like one continuous take should be really cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Watched this tonight. I guess I sorta knew what I was getting into (and morbid curiosity can be tough to not give into this time of the year), but I felt sick to my stomach afterwards. Eli Roth's horseshit was much gorier, but this was much more difficult to watch. Likely the last of its kind that I'll ever watch.
    The thing that makes that film a thing of value is the ways in which it implicates its audience; especially true in the second half, when the typical "thrills" and cathartic moments in a movie like this are deliberately withheld. Beyond that you can really dig into the film as a critique of Western values, if you want to; that's done very well in this essay, and I won't pretend I can make the case as eloquently: http://filmint.nu/?p=5417. I saw this film shortly after seeing the movie Inside, which I found striking but nearly unwatchable in its cruelty. Martyrs is similarly nasty but, to me, uses its darkness to confront the viewer in productive ways. I know you hated watching this movie, but isn't any film that has such a visceral impact on you worthy of some form of admiration?
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    No kidding. The more I read/see about it, the more that I want to see it. The fact that they try to limit the amount of cuts so that it looks like one continuous take should be really cool to see.
    Entertainment Weekly had a kickass Michael Keaton cover story and what they did is crazy intricate and highly choreographed. Keaton is the MAN and so excited to see him in something fantastic like this again. Damn I even feel like watching MULTIPLICITY right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neutral Milk Hotel View Post
    The thing that makes that film a thing of value is the ways in which it implicates its audience; especially true in the second half, when the typical "thrills" and cathartic moments in a movie like this are deliberately withheld. Beyond that you can really dig into the film as a critique of Western values, if you want to; that's done very well in this essay, and I won't pretend I can make the case as eloquently: http://filmint.nu/?p=5417. I saw this film shortly after seeing the movie Inside, which I found striking but nearly unwatchable in its cruelty. Martyrs is similarly nasty but, to me, uses its darkness to confront the viewer in productive ways. I know you hated watching this movie, but isn't any film that has such a visceral impact on you worthy of some form of admiration?
    No. Martyrs is utter nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

It's vapid and completely insubstantial, in addition to providing a toxic, sub-Refn view of the world. It's the unholy spawn of Hostel and Cloud Atlas.

Listen Up Philip, on the other hand, is fucking wonderful. People here need to make a point of seeing it: http://tribecafilm.com/tribecafilm/f...listenupphilip
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutral Milk Hotel View Post
    I know you hated watching this movie, but isn't any film that has such a visceral impact on you worthy of some form of admiration?
    No. I can't help but think that anyone who watched some of those beating scenes and didn't nearly turn the thing off several times must be dealing with some serious issues. You can read into the film all you want, but Google image search the director. He doesn't look like someone who's interested in "critiquing Western values", he looks exactly like I picture the audiences that love this movie (maybe I'm completely wrong and it's unfair to make judgements like this, who knows).
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Semi spoiler.

The twist of Gone Girl is that it is a straight up horror film, and a pretty great one at that. If you look at it as anything else I guess I can see the room for disappointment.
    I sort of disagree. Gone Girl is several genres at once (though horror is certainly among them), and it shifts between them effortlessly. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and also at how complicated its gender politics turned out to be; it amply supports varied readings on the spectrum of misogyny/misandry. For the first time in several years, I'm anxious to revisit a Fincher film.

Birdman was all kinds of stupid, though. THAT, to me, is a film that had no clue what it wanted to be; I can't think of a single other comedy so fucking self-serious, nor a meta-textual exercise so utterly hollow. Also, the already-much-hallowed technical premise was so poorly executed that all it did was draw attention to the ways in which it handicapped the film's visual and narrative scope (although it did provide a few isolated moments of inspired lunacy).

I thought Fury was fantastic.

I received my 40th anniversary copy of the The Texas Chainsaw Massacre a couple days ago and revisited it last night after several years and it still holds up as the greatest horror film ever made.

And Martyrs was nothing more than mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I sort of disagree. Gone Girl is several genres at once (though horror is certainly among them), and it shifts between them effortlessly. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and also at how complicated its gender politics turned out to be; it amply supports varied readings on the spectrum of misogyny/misandry. For the first time in several years, I'm anxious to revisit a Fincher film.
    My comment was aimed at tallguy's review. The bad acting and score seemed like they were intentionally like a horror film. I really don't get the point of the acting being horrible, especially at the beginning, but it is obviously supposed to parody a horror film.
    DREAM BIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    And Martyrs was nothing more than mediocre.
    What a stupid fucking comment this is. I didn't see the movie but I guarantee you could do no better. Why don't you either try giving a well articulated, insightful and respectful critique or keep your mediocre comments to yourself.
    Last edited by Packer; 10-21-2014 at 08:30 PM.

You want my review? Go find the one I posted here nearly 5 years ago under my previous account. Until then, go fuck your parents you cock sucking putz.

Fuck the San Francisco Giants.

...The Opinion that is now a Major Motion Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    What a stupid fucking comment this is. I didn't see the movie but I guarantee you could do no better. Why don't you either try giving a well articulated, insightful and respectful critique or keep your mediocre comments to yourself.
    I don't often stick up for Grandma, but wow you really need to go fuck yourself bud.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah, serious shit. Jim Beam and I got a little carried away last night.

I apologize to everyone but I don't apologize to Miroir that sick fuck hater talking about hate fucking half the country. You know I'm a proud American I get emotional about this kind of thing.

I better take another hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Birdman was all kinds of stupid, though. THAT, to me, is a film that had no clue what it wanted to be; I can't think of a single other comedy so fucking self-serious, nor a meta-textual exercise so utterly hollow. Also, the already-much-hallowed technical premise was so poorly executed that all it did was draw attention to the ways in which it handicapped the film's visual and narrative scope (although it did provide a few isolated moments of inspired lunacy).
    I was hoping to come on here to disagree with you about this, but I can't. I didn't totally hate Birdman, in fact I quite enjoyed it. Keaton is great. However, it is more masterbatory than profound.

I didn't really hate it either, although recent Inarritu interviews are lobbying hard to push me in that direction. I just thought it was a total miscalculation at almost every turn, aside from casting Keaton in that role.

Is Birdman as I-Heart-Huckabees-ish as the preview suggests?

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Is Birdman as I-Heart-Huckabees-ish as the preview suggests?
    I'd compare it more to Adaptation than Huckabees, but not nearly as good as Adaptation.

Hmm. I couldn't stand Adaptation. Thanks.

The only thing Birdman has in common with Huckabees is Naomi Watts. It is nowhere near as funny or inventive as thelastgreatrussellfilm.

I agree completely with schoolio's review of Birdman. Maybe I just went in with too high of expectations. I was just hoping for a really good dark comedy. Instead I got a couple good laughs that were brought down too quickly by some distracting camera gimmicks and some story that I really couldn't find interesting. Idk it was ok, but the hype machine really set me up for failure on this one. I walked away from this the same way I walked away from Hesher, (which was a much worse movie) bummed that someone ruined a couple really good jokes by trying too hard to slip in some dramatic message that they hadn't refined yet.
    DREAM BIGGER

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I enjoyed Hesher immensely, for as as much as I was put off by it. I felt like like it was pretty rewarding though. I don't think I went I went into it thinking it was a comedy though. Because it isn't really. It's certainly weird.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Let's see... My brother, who has good taste, said Birdman was great. You dickheads, who have horrible taste, don't like it. Time to go buy a ticket

I'm excited for your review. You would have to disown your entire persona (at least in the context of this thread) to give this one a thumbs-up.