Page 1000 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 995996997998999100010011002100310041005 ... LastLast
Results 29,971 to 30,000 of 31207

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I suppose it would help to watch the actual movie.
    NEW SIG

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    It's probably best if you and ELISA83TH just stay in your own little never gets the point part of the room.
    Tread lightly, she's a film student and a segment producer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I suppose it would help to watch the actual movie.
    I don't think Starraven rewatching the movie would help her in any way understand a rudimentary joke not even about the movie. But, okay.

8/7-8/9: Outside Lands Music Festival
    8/8: Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    8/11: Screaming Females @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/14: John Roberts, Laurel Halo @ f8
    8/20: The Sandwitches @ The Chapel
    8/22-23: FYF Fest
    8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/18: Octave One @ Mighty
    9/20: Max Graef, Huxley, Glenn Astro @ The Midway
    9/23-27: Decibel Festival
    9/29: Titus Andronicus

I think you misunderstand amyzzz - I believe the zzz was just making a stupid comment that nobody on the planet could understand rather than trying to make a comment that anyone should actually be expected to respond to.
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

You know what would have helped? If Starraven put a big SPOILER ALERT before giving away the plot point that the girl doesn't actually masturbate to romantic comedies. I mean -- who could have expected such a twist? Certainly not anyone whose ever been privy to a cinematic display of gendered identity stereotypes.

8/7-8/9: Outside Lands Music Festival
    8/8: Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    8/11: Screaming Females @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/14: John Roberts, Laurel Halo @ f8
    8/20: The Sandwitches @ The Chapel
    8/22-23: FYF Fest
    8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/18: Octave One @ Mighty
    9/20: Max Graef, Huxley, Glenn Astro @ The Midway
    9/23-27: Decibel Festival
    9/29: Titus Andronicus

That's So Starraven

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    I thought 12 Years a Slave was far and away McQueen's weakest film. The pacing was really light for such a heavy film, the music was just plain bad, and the last third really left me unengaged. Stunning as always and packed with some incredible moments, but ultimately uneven. As a big fan of his first two movies, I wanted to love it, but walked out a bit disappointed.

Oh, and to the comment earlier... Hoberman is easily my favorite film critic ever and completely shaped my film-queue for a number of years, so I'll take that as a compliment I suppose. I'll admit that I lost track of him following his firing from Village Voice, but it appears that he's writing regularly, so I need to pick that up again.
    Sounds like you and Hoberman probably disagree about the best films of the year then: http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/st...-keeps-hustlin

I agree though - the guy is a great critic & writer. It's a shame he won't be doing regular film criticism any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    That's So Starraven

Saw August: Osage County yesterday. Pretty disappointing. Really heavy-handed at times clumsy direction. It's also been cut down from the play's original length (3 hours, down to 2, I believe) but none of the edits make sense. With the exception of a couple of scenes (and some strong supporting performances) it has none of the crackle or wonderful surprise that the play had. Meryl Streep is decent, Julia Roberts serviceable. The rest of the cast seems to have a better handle on the material. Still, if you're not familiar with the play there's still plenty of really funny lines to enjoy which Tracy Letts has wisely chosen to keep and you won't be disappointed with the way in which they've altered the ending.

‘Roger Dodger’ was a bit of a fun re-visit into the Pat Bateman stylized NYC character. A less successful, less murderous version mind, but still prone to long opinionated rants and attempted woman control. This time he’s training his nephew.

Also larfed heartily during ‘Rubin and Ed’ with their back-and-forth banter. So dry, so damn funny.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    ‘Roger Dodger’ was a bit of a fun re-visit into the Pat Bateman stylized NYC character. A less successful, less murderous version mind, but still prone to long opinionated rants and attempted woman control. This time he’s training his nephew.
    By less murderous you must mean he's just a normal guy who doesn't murder people? Both those movies had men in suits, I'll give you that.

Lawrence of Arabia at the Egyptian last night was everything I ever wanted. On the big screen in 70mm... its what I had waited for. This is probably the longest standing movie in my netflix/mental queue, well over 10 years at this point I think, that I just never had the heart to get on DVD or even Blu-Ray. I had always been told it just wouldn't be the same and all-be-damned if everyone was completely correct. It was so glorious to see, a pristine print aside from around the burns, marvelous from a purely technical stand point no matter the content.

The evening began with a complete overture of music as the lights of the theater were slowly turned off 1 by 1... It truly set the "epic" tone of the "epic" genre which I find falls flat to me (see Gone With the Wind, Ben-Hur et all). Perhaps those require this presentation as well to correctly captivate but in relation to my other experiences this was in a pantheon of cinema outings held by only a few.

Aside from the monumental vistas and fantastic performance of O'Toole, what really caught me completely off guard was how unique of a movie it becomes AFTER the intermission. Anything I had ever seen, referenced, praised is always from Part 1 I discovered, so to be given a 20 minute intermission of breathing room and then meet another 90+ minutes of never heard of 50 year old classic epic movie was truly special. Part 2 being filled with not only more adventure but a large part of politics that I did not expect, along with sprinkled undertones of homosexual and sadomasochistic tendencies, truly left me with a lot to ponder. Who knew there was SNOW in Lawrence of Arabia?

To see this movie in a theater sold out to some 600 patrons ranging from first timers like myself, those revisiting the film for the first time since its initial release 50 years ago like my farther, or those die-hard Lawrence fans quoting the lines under their breath was something of a spectacle to behold in its own right. It's always bittersweet that it takes the passing of a great artist to finally spark that deserved interest, but this film deserves it like none other.

American Cinematheque have scheduled another screening of the film at the Egyptian in 70mm on January 31, 2014. You won't be disappointed.
    http://www.americancinemathequecalen...e-of-arabia-12

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Campbell Scott was so great in that movie.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    So my boyfriend made this "joke," at the very end of Frozen: "So...this movie is about lesbians, right?" which I think is a particularly apt statement not in regards to the movie itself, but to the pervasive influence of the homogeneous narrative of what it means to be/be represented as female. I wish I was able to watch a princess movie as a kid that wasn't singularly directed towards becoming rescued/wed, and I really have to applaud Disney for how this movie quite blatantly calls out the faultiness of the quixotic romanticism that's been a central tenet of almost all of its other princess characters. It was pretty heartening to see a male character ask for and a female character give consent. Also, I was impressed with how elaborate the snow/ice visuals were -- and Olaf is a great addition to the animated comedic sidekick category.
    I saw this today and loved it! But I kept thinking about Zack's comment - because it's incredibly obvious that the characters are sisters, from...the first minute of the film? They're literally the first two characters on screen. It was indeed refreshing to see a western children's film that put so much emphasis on family. It's something you see in Asian and European cinema quite a bit.

EDIT: Also, i loved how fucking insane the Mickey Mouse short is in front of the movie, and completely gross and politically incorrect it is.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

I saw Her this evening. I dunno, man...
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I saw Her this evening. I dunno, man...
    Please note that this ranks among the most useful of your movie reviews.

I don't know, as in you don't like it?
    NEW SIG

I watched Berbarian Sound Studio last night and I really loved it! I m a big fan of Toby Jones and it's great to see him lead a movie. And this is such a great tribute to both Giallo, to audio engineering, and to days of filmmaking gone bye. To anyone confused by the process shown in the film, most lower budget and foreign films were shot with no on set/location sound as recently as the 90s, so all dialogue had to be dubbed and literally all sounds had to be created on a stage. It's a nutty process, especially with tape.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Lawrence of Arabia at the Egyptian last night was everything I ever wanted. On the big screen in 70mm... its what I had waited for. This is probably the longest standing movie in my netflix/mental queue, well over 10 years at this point I think, that I just never had the heart to get on DVD or even Blu-Ray. I had always been told it just wouldn't be the same and all-be-damned if everyone was completely correct. It was so glorious to see, a pristine print aside from around the burns, marvelous from a purely technical stand point no matter the content.

The evening began with a complete overture of music as the lights of the theater were slowly turned off 1 by 1... It truly set the "epic" tone of the "epic" genre which I find falls flat to me (see Gone With the Wind, Ben-Hur et all). Perhaps those require this presentation as well to correctly captivate but in relation to my other experiences this was in a pantheon of cinema outings held by only a few.

Aside from the monumental vistas and fantastic performance of O'Toole, what really caught me completely off guard was how unique of a movie it becomes AFTER the intermission. Anything I had ever seen, referenced, praised is always from Part 1 I discovered, so to be given a 20 minute intermission of breathing room and then meet another 90+ minutes of never heard of 50 year old classic epic movie was truly special. Part 2 being filled with not only more adventure but a large part of politics that I did not expect, along with sprinkled undertones of homosexual and sadomasochistic tendencies, truly left me with a lot to ponder. Who knew there was SNOW in Lawrence of Arabia?

To see this movie in a theater sold out to some 600 patrons ranging from first timers like myself, those revisiting the film for the first time since its initial release 50 years ago like my farther, or those die-hard Lawrence fans quoting the lines under their breath was something of a spectacle to behold in its own right. It's always bittersweet that it takes the passing of a great artist to finally spark that deserved interest, but this film deserves it like none other.

American Cinematheque have scheduled another screening of the film at the Egyptian in 70mm on January 31, 2014. You won't be disappointed.
    http://www.americancinemathequecalen...e-of-arabia-12
    It's definitely worth seeing on the big screen for those who are interested and have the opportunity.

I saw it almost exactly a year ago when Castro Theatre had the restored version playing for 2-3 days.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

One of my oldest friends and movie snob-accomplices listed Spring Breakers as his no. One of the year. I told him we're no longer friends.

Is Spring Breakers simliar to a Zulawski film where the last thirty minutes becomes somewhat related or something to make up for your wasted time without ruining the story or This is just a running joke vis-a-via the whole" I am picking something I know that sucks because I can watch it without taking it serious" ploy.
    Last edited by getbetter; 12-31-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Translation

Swans @ Terminal West 03/28/15
    Drive like Jehu @ The Glass House 04/08/15
    Electric Wizard @ Slims 04/17/15
    Acid Mother Temple @ BOTM 04/18/15
    Faith No More @ the Warfield 04/20/15
    John Zorn @ UCLA 05/02/15
    Will Bulter @ Slims 05/26/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15
    Mariah Carey @ Caesars palace 06/11/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I don't know, as in you don't like it?
    I liked it. I didn't love it. Since it's only still in limited release, I don't want to spoil too much about it. It was absolutely gorgeous to watch, and definitely heartfelt. There were some pretty big problems I had with it, though. And the trailer shows *entirely* too much. Everything surrounding this film has been strange - I think people really got sucked in by the trailer/commercials, to the point where they assume they're going to watch it and gush over it after. After posting that I saw it last night, I had like 5 or 6 people all ask the same question - "did you love it?" - as if that's the most likely outcome. Odd.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It's been getting so much gushing press, that that doesn't surprise me. Every review I've read/heard about it loves it. It's hard not to be somewhat disappointed after all that hype.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Is Spring Breakers simliar to a Zulawski film where the last thirty minutes becomes somewhat related or something to make up for your wasted time without ruining the story or This is just a running joke vis-a-via the whole" I am picking something I know that sucks because I can watch it without taking it serious" ploy.
    Spring Breakers is like a bad early-Tarantino knock-off set to MTV's The Grind from the Beach House...with James Franco giving some kind of Gary Oldman/Drexl Spivey imitation.

It's the kind of movie you ask yourself whether the people making it actually did so with a straight face.
    Last edited by Listening; 12-31-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    Spring Breakers is like a bad early-Tarantino knock-off set to MTV's The Grind from the Beach House...with James Franco giving some kind of Gary Oldman/Drexl Spivey imitation.
    That movie was unlike anything Tarantino has ever done in his career. Where the hell do you guys get these comparisons from?

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    That movie was unlike anything Tarantino has ever done in his career. Where the hell do you guys get these comparisons from?
    qft
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Happy New Year

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Have you even seen True Romance?

But hey, if you could keep a straight faced watching James Franco playing Britney Spears on piano, more power to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7n3gF7j2V4
    Last edited by Listening; 12-31-2013 at 03:08 PM.

There really is nothing in common with True Romance and Spring Breakers in their writing at all. Beyond both characters being white guys that dress like black guys, there is nothing in common with Alien and Drexl. The characters bears much more resemblance to the real life rapper Riff Raff. And I really didn't care for Spring Breakers that much, but don't even see where you could draw that comparison. Stylistically they're in different planets. And doesn't SB have like an 80-page script?
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    Have you even seen True Romance?

But hey, if you could keep a straight faced watching James Franco playing Britney Spears on piano, more power to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7n3gF7j2V4
    I understand that Tony Scott once made a movie containing a white character with dreadlocks, and that Quentin Tarantino wrote the script for that movie.

Edit: what Drinkey said.

To add to that, Spring Breakers had very little dialogue, and dialogue has always been Tarantino's defining trait as a filmmaker. I didn't think Spring Breakers was a great movie but it was unique and pretty goddamn funny at times. I remember laughing at the scene you posted so I guess you're right, no straight face. I'd wager Harmony Korrine was laughing his ass off for most of the production as well.
    Last edited by bobert; 12-31-2013 at 03:30 PM.