Page 1019 of 1039 FirstFirst ... 10141015101610171018101910201021102210231024 ... LastLast
Results 30,541 to 30,570 of 31161

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Watched Snowpiercer last night...Did I apparently not pay attention to the part where they state "WHY" they're on a damn train forever? I thought it was good at some levels, other parts of the movie seemed to depend too much on the viewer accepting what was being thrown out at you.

**Spoiler,
    So are the little asian girl and black boy supposed to repopulate the world in that last scene?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    KumgFuJoe: recent graduate of the TallGuy Academy for Vapid Hyperbole
    Have you seen Boyhood yet? Because if you have, and as a result think KungFuJoe's response is ridiculous, then that's fine. But if you're just saying that and don't have an informed opinion of it, that's a pretty baseless and dumbheaded dig. Especially since I've seen at least a dozen reviews that have used similar words, it really is being received incredibly positively.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/23 - Ceremony - Echoplex (?)
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy
    5/27 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Warner Grand (?)
    5/30 - Spoon - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Recently rewatched 'Boyz in the Hood' on Netflix. My god how that movie has not aged well and the "acting" is just horrid in parts. I have always been a bigger fan of a film that possibly benefited from the success of 'BITH' in 'Menace 2 Society' despite the former getting most accolades, I felt like the Hughes Brothers did a better job at the helm than Singleton but it's hard to fathom how Zingleton, at age 24 got a best director nod at the Academy Awards for his work. To this day still the youngest director to get nominated, a full 2 years younger than Orson Welles for 'Citizen Kane'
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I found the movie to be a pretty mixed bag. There was some cool set-pieces and the film had a strong pulse whenever Tilda Swinton was on screen.
    These are pretty much my thoughts on the movie exactly. Tilda Swinton was a ton of fun in the film and her scene's were, easily, the best and most memorable of the film. I didn't think Chris Evans was bad, but his character wasn't given a lot to work with. I also thought the end was stupid. Overall, a fun watch, but I'm not writing home about it.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Under the Skin and Nymphomaniac are my two favorite films of 2014 so far.
    Woah. What?... Why? I am genuinely curious here. I watched the film the other day and I just... Why?. Nothing happens the entire film. Who was the guy on the motorcycle? Why was the baby on beach thing included in the film at all? How did the dude with the fucked up face get free? Why did she let him free? What did the motorcycle dude do with him? And what the fuck was with that ending? Why? is what I kept asking myself the entire film. Why was this happening? I thought these things would amount to something in the end. But, nope. Sure, it was beautifully shot and there is probably some deep meaning to what happened in the film. But seriously... favourite of the year. Once again... Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Has anyone seen The Bunnyman Massacres? It's deeply memorable and deeply terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

2 hours of my life wasted on Inside Llewyn Davis. I've seen plenty of movies where the main character is an insufferable prick. But an insufferable prick who's a folk singer? UNFORGIVABLE.

John Goodman's character joking about Llewyn's partner killing himself was a very Randy-board moment and probably my favorite scene, but even he got annoying. btw, I don't really like folk music.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    5/15 PsychoCA @Observatory - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/22 Dickslap w/DJ Alison Swing @Precinct - 5/27 Neutral Milk Hotel @Warner Theater - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

I LOOOOVED the folk music. Great movie if just for that. I need to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    Watched Snowpiercer last night...Did I apparently not pay attention to the part where they state "WHY" they're on a damn train forever? I thought it was good at some levels, other parts of the movie seemed to depend too much on the viewer accepting what was being thrown out at you.

**Spoiler,
    So are the little asian girl and black boy supposed to repopulate the world in that last scene?
    Come on with the spoiler. Put it in clear text or something.

They need to be on the train because humankind sent some shit up in the sky to fix global warming but it ended up causing a terrible ice age and someone made a perpetual engine on this train which is the only spot where people could live in some sort of "comfort".

That said, I enjoyed the film and I would put it in my top ten so far this year, but I haven't seen a ton of 2014 movies so I don't think it will stay on the list by the end of the year.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Woah. What?... Why? I am genuinely curious here. I watched the film the other day and I just... Why?. Nothing happens the entire film. Who was the guy on the motorcycle? Why was the baby on beach thing included in the film at all? How did the dude with the fucked up face get free? Why did she let him free? What did the motorcycle dude do with him? And what the fuck was with that ending? Why? is what I kept asking myself the entire film. Why was this happening? I thought these things would amount to something in the end. But, nope. Sure, it was beautifully shot and there is probably some deep meaning to what happened in the film. But seriously... favourite of the year. Once again... Why?
    The reply to each of those questions can be covered in one sentence: because it's an original, complex, mysterious, haunting, savagely beautiful and deeply original examination of life on this planet.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

She let elephant man free because she began to sympathize with human life.

Also, there's really no way to say this without sounding pretentious (especially with this crowd), but it was obvious from the trailer that this was a pretty abstract art film. One that was meant to be experienced more than anything else. If you really need answers Packer's right about elephant man and the guy on the motorcycle was another alien that was more or less keeping an eye on her, but that doesn't even matter that much. Art films aren't meant to be "solved", and this is no exception.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Plus, boobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    And what the fuck was with that ending? Why? is what I kept asking myself the entire film. Why was this happening?
    The ending is about the longest standing of human traditions: if you can't screw it, kill it.

Hah, I just watched Under The Skin tonight. I loved it! Not really too much to say except that it's definitely a movie that will stay with me for a while.

5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium
    5/8 Stephin Merritt @ The Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetary
    5/30 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets
    6/4 The Mountain Goats @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/15 Shellac @ The Regent Theater DTLA

Heads up. Both The Immigrant and The Master are now available on Netflix.

I absolutely loved Under the Skin. Definitely one of the best of the year so far for me. The music/score is fucking unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    The music/score is fucking unreal.
    It's been stuck in my head for days

5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium
    5/8 Stephin Merritt @ The Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetary
    5/30 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets
    6/4 The Mountain Goats @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/15 Shellac @ The Regent Theater DTLA

I know I'm completely behind but I just watched Her and I absolutely loved it. Brilliant. Joaquin is amazing of course but Amy Adams also impresses me every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Yesterday, I tried watching Under the Skin, granted I was distracted, but my feeling is this movie is best appreciated by those sequestered in the theater. The book ain't all that either.
    05/15 Say Lou Lou @ Rickshaw Stop
    05/20 Neal Stephenson @ PW
    05/22 Skream & Scuba @ Mighty
    05/31 The Kids in the Hall @ The Warfield
    06/19 Purity Ring @ The Fox Theatre
    07/03 toe @ The Independent
    07/09 Spor @ 1015
    07/11 Death Cab for Cutie @ The Greek
    07/15 Memory Tapes @ The Independent
    07/24 Phish @ Shoreline (?)
    07/24 Social Studies @ GAMH (?)
    07/31 Ratatat @ The Regency
    08/07-08/09 OSL @ Golden Gate Park
    08/17 Cayucas @ The Independent
    10/02 The Tragically Hip @ The Masonic

So I was convinced to go see Godzilla at the three dollar theater this previous weekend. It wasn't as stupid as I thought it was going to be but I just don't like what they did with Godzilla the monster. I mean the story line was your typical monster movie and all. I just feel like they made Godzilla to much of a good guy. To me Godzilla does save the day but at the same time he really doesn't care what damage he does to humans. I don't know I just thought it wasn't the best representation of Godzilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Has anyone seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet? Thoughts?
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

The Way Way Back. Good summer movie.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    5/15 PsychoCA @Observatory - 5/16 Juan Maclean @Regent - 5/18 Tanlines @Echoplex - 5/22 Dickslap w/DJ Alison Swing @Precinct - 5/27 Neutral Milk Hotel @Warner Theater - 5/31 Courtney Barnett @Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Has anyone seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet? Thoughts?
    It was great, but the trailer makes it seem that Gary Oldman is the main human character. He is far from, and is barely in the film.
    DREAM BIGGER

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It was great, but the trailer makes it seem that Gary Oldman is the main human character. He is far from, and is barely in the film.
    This is why I have stopped watching trailers for movies I know I want to see. I haven't seen anything from this movie yet at all. I need to get on that.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

I had only heard that the special effects were supposed to be terrific, so I'd love to see it on the big screen.

Particle Fever on Netflix is a baddass documentary on the CERN LHC.

The Lego Movie seems to have been almost universally praised, but what I haven't seen mentioned is how insanely trippy of a movie it is. I'm not a drug person, but I enjoy watching movies with a few strong drinks from time to time and this worked wonderfully in that regard.
    5/15 - Muse - Mayan
    5/26 - Refused - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Lego movie was great till the ending.
    Translation

Swans @ Terminal West 03/28/15
    Drive like Jehu @ The Glass House 04/08/15
    Electric Wizard @ Slims 04/17/15
    Acid Mother Temple @ BOTM 04/18/15
    Faith No More @ the Warfield 04/20/15
    John Zorn @ UCLA 05/02/15
    Will Bulter @ Slims 05/26/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15
    Mariah Carey @ Caesars palace 06/11/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck you.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the ending to Lego Movie either. I understand what they were going for, but it really took me out of the movie. The whole "it was all in the character's head" scenario rarely gets pulled off without feeling cheap.