Page 1012 of 1040 FirstFirst ... 10071008100910101011101210131014101510161017 ... LastLast
Results 30,331 to 30,360 of 31199

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    What exactly did you "know" even then? What does anyone "know" even now? Judging solely by what you said - you encountered a gay man traveling with an entourage of teenagers and made up your mind "right then and there" that he was fucking them. Unless you elided an anecdote in which you saw him sexing them up, that says more about you than it does about him.
    First of all, I love how you are trying to paint me as some sort of homophobe, which, if you knew me IRL, you'd know wasn't true at all. Should I have just rephrased what I said into "I saw Brian Singer with a posse REALLY young-looking boys and it creeped me out?" Sure, but let's make one thing perfectly clear: it doesn't matter if Brian Singer is gay man with a posse of young boys or if he was a straight man with a posse of young girls that were picked up in the afternoon from Sacred Heart - both scenarios are pretty suspect and a red flag was raised in my mind.

Sure, I could be totally wrong. I mean, I am young looking for my age and I was mistaken/accused of being a teenager throughout my twenties, so maybe they were just EXCEPTIONALLY young-looking for their age. Perhaps they were indeed underage, but Brian Singer was being a totally cool nice guy and after the screening party let out at 11pm, he gathered them all up and they all went for ice cream before having back at their parents houses before mignight so they'd get enough sleep for school the next day. I wish I could believe that... I really do.

Now that I have said that, does anyone thing Singer's career will recover from these allegations, or will it damage his career, even if he is exonerated, like Fatty Arbuckle?
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

shut up
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

This weekend, I am planning on seeing Under the Skin. I've read the book and wasn't overly impressed, but am willing to give the movie a go. I've heard the movie is either loved or despised. Has anybody here seen it yet and if so, what did you think of it?
    07/24 Social Studies @ GAMH (?)
    07/28 Yumi Zoumi @ The Rickshaw Stop
    07/31 Ratatat @ The Regency
    08/07-08/09 OSL @ Golden Gate Park
    08/17 Cayucas @ The Independent
    08/26 MSTRKRFT @ The Mezzanine
    08/28 Booka Shade @ The Mezzanine
    09/18-9/20 TBD Fest @ Sacramento
    09/23 Say Lou Lou @ The Independent
    10/02 The Tragically Hip @ The Masonic
    10/03 Tove Lo @ The Fox Theatre (?)
    10/10 Beirut @ The Greek Theatre
    10/14 AlunaGeorge @ The Mezzanine (?)

Uh yes, several people have discussed on the last 2 pages of this thread.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Masterpiece.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

While not a classic by any means, did enjoy 'The Railway Man' with Colin Firth (of 'The Single Man' and soon to be released 'The Quintessential British Gentleman'). The film's a tribute to the challenges of overcoming psychological battle scars, forgiveness, and forging friendships out of unlikely places. Kidman did some fine acting work as well, especially in the opening scenes, with her true portrayal of an open for human interaction, slightly awkward lonely woman. B- grade.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

I watched 'Mr. Nobody' this weekend. Jared Leto's acting chops have grown exponentially in recent years. The film's themes of choice, technology, and love are all presented very effectively and with beautiful symbolism and imagery.
    AC/DC and Steely Dan? Why not just get a Don Henley project on the poster so my dad can bring his R/V, his fourth wife, and make a day out of the damn thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Uh yes, several people have discussed on the last 2 pages of this thread.
    Sorry, I ran a search in this thread before asking and the results for "skin," brought up some movie entitled, Mysterious Skin.

I'll flip back a few pages and read what was said.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Mysterious Skin is also a masterpiece, so you should see them both.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Yes, Mysterious Skin is amazing.
    last.fm

only two major wipeouts (Noah and Joe).
    I thought Joe was pretty good. Nic Cage and the kid did a good job in their roles. Why did you not like it - you have big expectations going in b/c of DGG and the cast?
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I haven't had big expectations for a David Gordon Green movie in many years, but this was the first one that I consider to be a genuine failure (even The Sitter was, at least, more amusing than its rep, even if it's no better than all the films Green used to savage back when he was a wunderkind artiste). Basically, I thought Joe was phony, visually dull (which, aside from The Sitter, has never been the case in Green's work before) and the opposite of cohesive. The first act with the guys in the field was pretty good, but almost none of those characters have any significance later in the film; the climax mainly revolves around two characters who have virtually no presence in the movie until well past the 90 minute mark. The father character is well-played, but his nature and actions make no sense from one scene to the next - not even in the context of his being an abusive drunk. The stuff with the hookers and the girl that foists herself onto Joe had no meaning. I liked Tye Sheridan's performance, but I thought Cage was terrible - he simply cannot play an authentic hard drinker (I don't give a fuck that the Oscars say otherwise), and he only got less convincing as the scenarios became more overwrought. Basically, the only way the film could hang together, for me, is looking at it as an intentional pastiche of all of DGG's previous movies - almost every one has some kind of connective tissue to what happens in Joe (though I couldn't find a match for All the Real Girls), but since I'm applying this thesis to one of the most disparate, what-the-fuck filmographies of the modern age, the result is a movie that seemed to have NO idea what the fuck it is. Plus, the photography is all drab standard film-school coverage, until the sudden voiceover montage in the middle (straight out of Green's early Malick-thieving) - so it doesn't even succeed as sensory experience.

I acknowledge that this will probably be a minority opinion, much like my take on Short Term 12.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Mysterious Skin is pretty good but extremely overwrought. You can make the points Araki was trying to make without the excess. And that ending was terrible.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I would throw you in prison if I could.

You really think he had to go to the point of having two children fist a man to tell a graphic story of pedophilia? And as a huge Sigur Ros fan yourself you didn't find that ending completely forced and laughably sappy? I didn't dislike the film, but if anyone's going to prison it's Gregg Araki, having been found guilty on 9 counts of sensationalism.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

You could not be more off-base. It's literally one of my favorite endings/movies of all time, and the bombastic style is essential to the film's (and Gordon-Levitt's) character. As for the first question, I have to flip it around - what is the purpose of asking films portraying violence or abuse to set boundaries and pull back on the harsher material?

Ahhh, now I remember, Mysterious Skin. I've dl'd it, but forgot I had it, cos I haven't been in the right frame of mind to watch it. Though, I'm not quite sure what the right frame of mind is that will assist me in watching this somewhat disturbing movie.

As for the first question, I have to flip it around - what is the purpose of asking films portraying violence or abuse to set boundaries and pull back on the harsher material?
    No one's asking films to pull back. It's more a matter of when the line between good intent and mere shock value is crossed.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I feel like those scenes were done with as much tact as possible given the subject matter. It has been years since I've seen that movie, though.
    DREAM BIGGER

Exactly. Chris, I don't know what movie you're thinking of, but it's not as though Araki photographed Mysterious Skin in some Mel Gibson-esque, lovingly slow motion close-ups of heinous violent shit - basically all of the sexual acts involving children occur outside the frame. Which makes your unnerved reaction (akin to those who swore they saw nudity and knife-into-flesh in Psycho only further proof of how expertly it was achieved.

Yes, I must side with Gabe on this. The extremities of the abuses to me are necessary to illustrate the psychological and emotional impact they had on the characters.
    last.fm

Exactly. Chris, I don't know what movie you're thinking of, but it's not as though Araki photographed Mysterious Skin in some Mel Gibson-esque, lovingly slow motion close-ups of heinous violent shit - basically all of the sexual acts involving children occur outside the frame. Which makes your unnerved reaction (akin to those who swore they saw nudity and knife-into-flesh in Psycho only further proof of how expertly it was achieved.
    It all comes down to subjectivity, of course, and I just don't have a high threshold for the topic in general. And what you and Andrew are saying isn't untrue, but what about when a young JGL is explaining to the boy what the coach has been doing while the boy is laying down, and the kid flat out plants his face in the kid's crotch? I dunno, man. A lot of it seemed to seek to desensitize the viewer with shocking acts like that.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

You're right, it is subjective. For me, in this movie, I thought it all worked. Also, I hated the other Araki movies I have seen, so i am definitely not apologetic for him in general.
    last.fm

Shoot, I need to see that again. I don't remember any of that. I think I was too excited to hear (more) Curve music in another Araki soundtrack.
    NEW SIG

Well, I wouldn't say I do have a high threshold for watching depictions of child rape - it had the same horrifying effect on me. But it is a fact (not a subjective statement) that the child sex in Mysterious Skin occurs almost completely off-screen, and in conversations/narration that are graphic, but not substantially more so than many other movies (subjective), only more eloquent and nuanced than just about any of them (subjective).

Eat shit X-Men: Days of Futures Pederast...

Now a North Korean funded CGI reboot of Pulgasari and I can die happy
    Last edited by Grandma; 04-28-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Hahahaha. You guys are still debating the "five dollar game." JGL won fair and square. Time to move on.

You are referring to a conversation that hasn't been continued for 5 days.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Two really big 2013 releases recently added to Netflix Instant - Jia Zhangke's A Touch of Sin (finally!) and Claire Denis' massively disturbing Bastards.
    Watched this last night, really good. It's nice to see someone make a film involving four separate stories that don't all have to link together a la Babel or Amores Perros. The section involving the sauna worker was particularly great.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac and Max Von Sydow have been cast in the new Star Wars movie. Didn't recognize any of the other new cast members but I'm actually excited for this one.