Page 966 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 961962963964965966967968969970971 ... LastLast
Results 28,951 to 28,980 of 31207

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

  1. #28951
    Member boxofbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    344

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    If you scroll this page fast enough, you get people talking about Post Tenebras Lux w.r.t. its Michael Bay-ness. Discuss.

  2. #28952
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,228

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Did you ever end up watching this? I just finished it, and while the end was a little TOO neat and hokey, I really enjoyed it if for nothing but the extremely well written dialogue between Pat and Linda in the climactic confrontation.
    I eventually started it, and turned it off with about half an hour remaining. Though I'm not qualified to write a review, I felt the first hour was some of the worst storytelling I've encountered in a long time. Also, though I've only previously seen Cyrus out of the Duplass Bros.' catalog, I can confidently say that their use of documentary technique trails the modern single-cam sitcom (those that aren't portraying an actual documentary, such as "The Office") in both application and authorial logic. I have to really enjoy and care about the characters to get past all the gratuitous zooming, whip pans, etc. Basically, Cyrus::"Parks and Recreation; Jeff, Who Lives At Home::"Modern Family"
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  3. #28953

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Enjoyed Mama. Some amazing special effects and a bit scary in parts. Going to try his Devil's Backbone later (catholic orphanage in Spain horror story).

    Dr. Strangelove showing at the Regency 3 Santa Ana tomorrow night if anyone's arsed.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

  4. #28954
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    22,454

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Mama was not directed by Guillermo Del Toro.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

  5. #28955

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I liked Trance quite a bit. The performances were strong and it was a good deal of fun.

  6. #28956
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    26,473

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Basically, Cyrus::"Parks and Recreation; Jeff, Who Lives At Home::"Modern Family"
    Ha, I like this analogy. And I'd say that it carries through the last half hour of the film, too.

    7/30: The Chemical Brothers @ The Armory
    7/31: Worker/Parasite @ Underground SF
    8/7-8/9: Outside Lands Music Festival
    8/8: Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    8/11: Screaming Females @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/14: John Roberts, Laurel Halo @ f8
    8/20: Sales @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/22-23: FYF Fest
    8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop

  7. #28957
    Member chbludevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    798

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Trance had good actors in it, but the plot was pure shit, one of the worst screenplays I've ever had to sit through. There was only one good scene in the entire movie and you know what scene I'm talking about, the part where the black guy from the office got his dick blown off.

  8. #28958
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    22,454

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    If that's actually in the movie, thanks a lot asshole
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

  9. #28959
    Member chbludevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    798

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    No problem, and hey I just saved you two hours of your life that you no longer have to waste by seeing trance

  10. #28960
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,908

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Okay, Trance and Pain and Gain are Citizen Kane compared to this freaking god-awful Twilight movie on the television right now.

    I've been working on my laptop and left it on in the background out of morbid curiosity... damn, how does anybody like these movies? It's the final one with the chick as a Vampire, and probably the worst high-budget movie I've ever partially seen. It makes me want to watch a "Bonfire of the Vanities", "Wild Wild West", and "Hudson Hawk" triple header. Sheesh. Just awful.

    And why in the flock did they use a CGI baby face instead of a real baby? Creepily retarded.

  11. #28961
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,395

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I watched The Impossible on the weekend and I was in tears pretty much the whole time. The performance of the young actor that played the eldest son, Lucas, was fantastic. He carried the whole movie for me. But it was a gut-wrenching watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  12. #28962
    old school xanman86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,789

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Going through all of the Marvel Phase One films before Iron Man 3 this weekend.

    Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14, Beach House 12/17&19
    Events
    Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

  13. #28963
    foof roberto73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stately Wayne Manor
    Posts
    3,039

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I hope there will be pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

  14. #28964
    old school xanman86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,789

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I hope there will be pictures.
    Of me falling asleep to The Incredible Hulk?

    Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14, Beach House 12/17&19
    Events
    Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

  15. #28965
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,908

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I realize I'm behind the curve, but I finally got around to watching Compliance. I have to admit, I forgot it was based on the true story stuff, and I thought it was a good old fashioned stalker horror thing... so I was pleasantly surprised.

    The performances were really good, but the best part was when I YouTubed the primetime news segment talking about the actual story and found that it was pretty much as accurate as any Hollywood flick ever is. That shit is messed up, man. Just terrible. Thank God a few of the participants manned up and said "Naw, fuck this, you're crazy, I ain't doing this", because otherwise the human race is completely fucked. Somehow I thought the original news story was just some dumb manager enacting martial law, I had no clue how complicated the whole scheme was, and how many people got duped. What a mess.

    The real-life girl who went through the whole ordeal was probably cuter than Dreama Walker, and a brunette. Why does Hollywood make everyone blonde?

  16. #28966
    old school xanman86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,789

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner






    Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14, Beach House 12/17&19
    Events
    Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

  17. #28967
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    8,038

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I read earlier this week that Lars is no longer considered "persona non grata" at Cannes, and that he would be welcomed back to competition, but that a cut of Nyphomaniac simply wouldn't be ready for the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  18. #28968
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,395

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I realize I'm behind the curve, but I finally got around to watching Compliance. I have to admit, I forgot it was based on the true story stuff, and I thought it was a good old fashioned stalker horror thing... so I was pleasantly surprised.

    The performances were really good, but the best part was when I YouTubed the primetime news segment talking about the actual story and found that it was pretty much as accurate as any Hollywood flick ever is. That shit is messed up, man. Just terrible. Thank God a few of the participants manned up and said "Naw, fuck this, you're crazy, I ain't doing this", because otherwise the human race is completely fucked. Somehow I thought the original news story was just some dumb manager enacting martial law, I had no clue how complicated the whole scheme was, and how many people got duped. What a mess.

    The real-life girl who went through the whole ordeal was probably cuter than Dreama Walker, and a brunette. Why does Hollywood make everyone blonde?
    This has been on my radar but your post prompted to me to order it up on PPV. I will see this tonight. Thanks TS.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  19. #28969
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Doc Sportello's hood
    Posts
    20,325

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    The screen shot doesn't surprise me, but I really hope they were more imaginative than for those to be the real posters...
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  20. #28970
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    22,454

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    The screen shot doesn't surprise me, but I really hope they were more imaginative than for those to be the real posters...
    Assuming you're talking about Nymphomaniac, the publicity image was released months ago...the first poster is indeed the real teaser, which i quite like. i don't know where the penis one came from though, I see no indication that that is real.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

  21. #28971
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,395

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I watched Compliance and I did find it compelling. At the same time it amazes me the girl this really happened to didn't pipe up and say - "fine, come show me the surveillance footage. If I am in trouble come down here and prove it because there is no evidence I've done anything wrong." I can't imagine it going that far with only one or two people questioning the validiity of the call. It's mind boggling.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  22. #28972
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,228

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Assuming you're talking about Nymphomaniac, the publicity image was released months ago...the first poster is indeed the real teaser, which i quite like. i don't know where the penis one came from though, I see no indication that that is real.
    I fucking love the real teaser.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  23. #28973
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Doc Sportello's hood
    Posts
    20,325

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    It amazes me that Louis Malle isn't discussed more. Not just in this thread, but in general. After having been completely enthralled with Zazie in the Subway and, for far different reasons, Elevator to the Gallows, I watched Black Moon tonight. Three films that could not be more different - the first is a haywire frenetic romp, the second a classic noir, the third straight-up avant-garde - but each a near masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. With every film of his that I see, he climbs higher and higher up the list of my favorite directors.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  24. #28974
    old school unit300021's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, for now...
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    So I finally got around to watching the Sound City documentary tonight. Like the first 70 or so minutes are cool when it talks about the history of the studio and cool stories from musicians that recorded there. Also shows a lot of footage from bands recording which is also pretty cool to see. However the last 30 or so minutes is just them showing the recording process of the CD that came out with it and that got boring pretty fast. Yeah some interesting stuff was said but just thought the length of it was overkill. Much would have preferred to have more cool history stories and cut the last part in half. Overall it was an OK documentary. Music fans, such as everyone on this board, will enjoy it just for the historical aspects however I don't see it gaining much interest from just an everyday person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

  25. #28975
    old school xanman86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,789

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    It amazes me that Louis Malle isn't discussed more. Not just in this thread, but in general. After having been completely enthralled with Zazie in the Subway and, for far different reasons, Elevator to the Gallows, I watched Black Moon tonight. Three films that could not be more different - the first is a haywire frenetic romp, the second a classic noir, the third straight-up avant-garde - but each a near masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. With every film of his that I see, he climbs higher and higher up the list of my favorite directors.
    http://popcultureswag.tumblr.com/pos...-the-criterion

    Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14, Beach House 12/17&19
    Events
    Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

  26. #28976

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I caught Takashi Miike's Ninja Kids last night at the Aero. It was pretty fantastic. Likely the most fun I've had watching one of his films. He has really hit his stride recently. While most of his movies are hit and miss I think in the past few years they've mostly been hits. He seems to only be getting stronger and more exciting as a filmmaker. I wonder when it will let up. His "latest" Lesson of the Evil will be playing the LA Film Fest. I look forward to catching that. There's actually quite a few films at this years LA Film Fest that I hope to catch.


  27. #28977
    Coachella Junkie stinkbutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,431

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Assuming you're talking about Nymphomaniac, the publicity image was released months ago...the first poster is indeed the real teaser, which i quite like. i don't know where the penis one came from though, I see no indication that that is real.
    The 2nd one is definitely fake. I love the first poster
    DREAM BIGGER

  28. #28978
    old school cansei de ser sexme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Claremont
    Posts
    3,349

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I just watched Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters for the first time yesterday. The insight that it gives you of Mishima's life is so beautifully done through the retelling of some of his novels that it makes you want to read all of them. My favorite of them all was "Kyoko's House", a beautiful story not even yet translated to English. But most of all Philip Glass' score is probably one of my favorite works by him. Being a younger guy myself I have no idea if I was the last person in the world to watch this movie, but personally I give it my highest recommendation.

  29. #28979
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,228

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  30. #28980
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Doc Sportello's hood
    Posts
    20,325

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    I just watched Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters for the first time yesterday. The insight that it gives you of Mishima's life is so beautifully done through the retelling of some of his novels that it makes you want to read all of them. My favorite of them all was "Kyoko's House", a beautiful story not even yet translated to English. But most of all Philip Glass' score is probably one of my favorite works by him. Being a younger guy myself I have no idea if I was the last person in the world to watch this movie, but personally I give it my highest recommendation.
    It appears it was already in the Hulu queue, but now it'll get watched sooner than later! Thanks for the recommendation.
    8/05 - Wilco - Greek (?)
    8/06 - Tame Impala - Hollywood Forever
    8/13 - Alabama Shakes - Greek (?)
    8/14-16 - Berserktown - Observatory
    8/19 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Fonda (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by LtLoisEinhorn View Post
    Once Morrissey realizes he's on a poster/lineup with an act called 'Horse Meat Disco' he will Cancel.
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

Similar Threads

  1. Bring back the Coachella Movie Lounge.
    By bballarl in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
  2. Where's the movie thread?
    By amyzzz in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •