Page 921 of 1038 FirstFirst ... 916917918919920921922923924925926 ... LastLast
Results 27,601 to 27,630 of 31138

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I agree with your first paragraph 100%. I realized this morning that this movie commits most of the same sins as Inception - the shallow use of female love interest, the absurd over-explanation of its own conventions - and is only marginally more fun.

As for the conflict between the two of them....my feelings toward that have only gotten worse since I typed that up last night.

[SPOILERS REDACTED]

I really hate to do the Randy thing where I shit all over a movie for choosing to be something other than what I think it should be. But why raise any of these ideas about a person's past haunting/helping them in the future if you're just going to end the movie with a thoughtless set piece?

I actually thought about this while watching the movie, that idea of connecting them wasn't fully realized. When the movie finally brought them together again I thought they would have some sort of simultaneous epiphany and resolve the conflict. As it is we just got something weirdly Heroes-y. Also there's a weird tension in the film's message: can people escape what kind of people they are?

SPOILERS I GUESS

Joe Joe (thanks for that one) seems to thinks HE can't, but that the kid can. I stopped thinking about the connection problem but this one stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    This is bound to get a domestic release eventually. I'm tempted to pick it up anyway, gotta make sure the subtitles aren't burnt in first.
    An answer should be here:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/misc/buffalo_66.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Yeah, I was going to post that link too - that's where I heard about this release.

Quote Originally Posted by DVD Beaver
    Subtitles:Japanese, none
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Nice! Sold!
    03/13/15 Wolf Alice - the Rickshaw Stop
    04/24/15 Polaris - The Chapel
    06/11/15 Neutral Milk Hotel - The Phoenix Theatre

So more money is about to get thrown in a pile to be burnt:
    'Terra Nova' co-creator to write "50 Shades of Grey" script

A new short film that I made with my brother and our friend Merne.

Now, I specifically waited until after my birthday to post it here because I don't want any gift reviews. We sort of made this movie up as we shot and cut it, and while I think there are some really interesting/cool ideas beneath it, I don't think they really came through. I think most people will see this as little more than a camera test, but I want to know what (if anything) you get out of it. You know, if you care enough to spend nine and a half minutes watching it in the first place.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I felt this was a look at the daily life of SoulDischarge.

What were your tools for the job? During production and post (FCP/AVID/Premiere). I take it a friend scored it?

Your friend has a great name by the way, he's taken the III to a new level.
    Merne "Mutha Fuckin" Judson The Third

Shot on a 5D Mark II, edited (including what little sound editing took place) in FCP 5. I'm pretty satisfied with how the image quality came out considering how little planning/resources went into it, so I would imagine I'll be using them again on my next, hopefully better-conceived project.

Default lens for the 5D? or do you have a tasty selection? I ask as some shots seemed a bit richer in color than others, or did you color correct a little?

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Also, where the fuck were the other girl's parents and has anybody told them their daughter's dead yet?
    Details details

Best line of the movie
    She's been taken!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Default lens for the 5D? or do you have a tasty selection? I ask as some shots seemed a bit richer in color than others, or did you color correct a little?
    Default lens. The only color correction was on the black and white / sepia sequences. Which shots did you think were beefed up?

Cocteau's The Blood of a Poet is maybe the most befuddling film I've ever watch for school. No idea.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I don't think anybody has ever claimed that anything Luc Besson is involved with beyond his own directorial efforts isn't a completely retarded B-movie piece of trash. His entire catalog of write/rproducer credits is basically some form of exploitation movie.
    I'm here to defend Unleashed. Do something about it.

just watched the Alex Cross trailer/commercial for the first time...

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    I'm here to defend Unleashed. Do something about it.
    I actually thought about that one after I said that and almost made an amendment to my original statement. That is a genuinely good movie.

I actually like a lot of the Besson written/produced movies, even if they are dumb/trashy. The Transporter series, Crimson Rivers, Wasabi, and District B13 are all a blast.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

PTA is on the Daily Show tonight to discuss The Master !
    11/1 Pantha du Prince - the Echo
    11/17 Tame Impala - The Music Box

Coachella Junkie

I was NOT a Hurt Locker fan, but this new trailer for Zero Dark Thirty is excellent:

I watched Basic Instinct for the first time tonight. i had never imagined that it was such a paul verhoeven film, in every sense. I guess i didn't know what it was beyond the infamous moment. This is such a trashy, schlocky, sleazy, ridiculous bit of fun nonsense. i laughed out loud several times and loved every single fucking bit of it. I was kind of flabbergasted at the absolutely outrageous amount of extremely graphic, gratuitous sex and nudity in it (and both Tripplehorn and Stone look AMAZING in this), but the dialogue is insanely stupid and funny, the car chases come out of nowhere, the murders are as violent and bloody as possible, Jerry Goldsmith's score is so out of place...just so much good stuff. it's kind of like a film noir movie, and kind of a movie about '80s excess (even though it came out in 1993), but the plot gets so unnecessarily convoluted and full of dumb tangents and revelations, that ultimately it's about Michael Douglas grimacing and acting like a psychopath and Sharon Stone being naked and/or extremely clever and/or bitchy. And I'm okay with that. Somehow Verhoeven is able to make terrible movie that completely transcend what a bad movie is and end up being immensely enjoyable, because I honestly can't wait to watch this again. The ending is especially incredible.
    last.fm
    5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/22/15 - Laura Jane Grace @ Hollywood Forever Cemetary // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater
    6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler // 7/15/15 - Shellac @ Regent // 7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy

Saw the two Hostel movies again last night for the first time since Hostel II came out in theater. I still prefer the first one, lol.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2),15(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Richie Hawtin 4/24, Sleater-Kinney 5/3, The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/16, Spoon 5/28, Neutral Milk Hotel 6/1, Sufjan Stevens 6/5&6, Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14
    Events
    SDCC 7/9-12/2015, Outside Lands 8/7-9/2015

I really fucking hate it that you decided to join this thread.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Saw the two Hostel movies again last night for the first time since Hostel II came out in theater. I still prefer the first one, lol.
    Every half-wit YouTube comment ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I really fucking hate it that you decided to join this thread.
    Cool

Upcoming shows
    Richie Hawtin 4/24, Sleater-Kinney 5/3, The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/16, Spoon 5/28, Neutral Milk Hotel 6/1, Sufjan Stevens 6/5&6, Charli XCX & Bleachers 7/23, Death Grips 7/25, Taylor Swift 8/14
    Events

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Oh shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

Apparently yesterday the Weyland Corporation was first registered. I can't wait until they release the first David 3 for general public consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie

I just watched Prometheus last night, funny enough. Was alright. Flawed and the characters are pretty impossible to care about - what a massive fucking waste of Charlize Theron and Idris Elba - but still, I enjoyed it. Didn't hold up to much thought, but it tipped along at a decent pace and had a strong look. I think mebbe I've gotten less demanding in my old age.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I just watched Prometheus last night, funny enough. Was alright. Flawed and the characters are pretty impossible to care about - what a massive fucking waste of Charlize Theron and Idris Elba - but still, I enjoyed it. Had a strong look and it tipped along at a decent pace.
    I'm looking forward to hearing David Lindelof's commentary on the Blu Ray set.

Upcoming shows
    Events

The look of Prometheus, the story behind it, and Michael Fassbender's performance make that movie for me. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    So it turns out Jesus is a LOT like cr***

It seems that anyone who actually likes Prometheus should probably avoid every piece of writing on it and every single part of the DVD/BD release except for the movie itself. Ridley appears hell-bent on destroying anything interesting about it via the press.