Thread: A Timeline of How EDM's Bubble Burst

Default A Timeline of How EDM's Bubble Burst

Interesting article. Think it conveniently omits things that doesn't fit its narrative ('Lean On' becoming the most played Spotify song of all time, Jack U performing at the Grammys, Harris becoming first Coachella EDM headliner, etc.), but interesting to see where EDM goes from here. Could we be in for less EDM in 2017 and beyond? Will the Sahara crowd seem bored in 2016? Or will the next generation of bros like Garrix get a new wind, and shit keeps on going?

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1086-p...-bubble-burst/

Default Re: A Timeline of How EDM's Bubble Burst

I want Daft Punk to headline next year, and for that to represent the end of the mainstream EDM era, just as their Coachella '06 set marked the beginning. Really enjoyed that timeline, though.

I don't think the EDM scene is going anywhere in one guise or another. As long as there are teenagers who want to get fucked up on psychotropics to a backdrop of repetitive beats and flashing lights it's going to be around.

I've been kinda thinking ahead for 2017, trying to predict who the big EDM acts are that could top the bill and it's honestly a bit tough since a lot of the biggest names (Zedd, Kaskade, Skrillex etc.) have already seen top billing. I could see DJ Snake and Kygo come back but either everybody else has already peaked (Garrix, Zeds Dead) or already been done to death (Alesso). I'm not sure this shortage of big name EDM acts is because Coachella has already gone through a lot or because EDM as a whole is starting to fall and I'm beginning to think it's the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    But what the hell am I doing arguing with a Drake fan from Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    I've been kinda thinking ahead for 2017, trying to predict who the big EDM acts are that could top the bill and it's honestly a bit tough since a lot of the biggest names (Zedd, Kaskade, Skrillex etc.) have already seen top billing. I could see DJ Snake and Kygo come back but either everybody else has already peaked (Garrix, Zeds Dead) or already been done to death (Alesso). I'm not sure this shortage of big name EDM acts is because Coachella has already gone through a lot or because EDM as a whole is starting to fall and I'm beginning to think it's the latter.
    It's gonna be Disclosure every year for the next 15 years.
    Anything is possible...

"EDM" is to electronic music what Hair Metal was to metal. It will fade, and you'll think the assholes are gone, but then a few years later a new crowd of assholes will pop up. Metal had nu-metal, electronic music will have something equally shitty. The cosmic ballet goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Definitely an interesting article.. the timeline was great, some really hilarious stuff in there. Lots of interesting related articles linked too that led me down quite a rabbit hole on this topic last night. The one about Vegas' role in EDM's ascendance particularly stuck out to me. It cannot be overstated how much Vegas is linked to the current landscape of EDM and the massive profiles and paychecks of EDM's big stars. It didn't just capitalize on the phenomenon, it basically created the phenomenon. Very interesting to think about.

Anyway, it's hard to imagine EDM will go away completely, likely to change form again into something else (I'm... scared to find out what this will be...) There's so much money in it and a seemingly never ending stream of new customers for it so even if it has peaked, I think it will still continue to dominate for the next few years at least. The things you mention them omitting actually seem to fit pretty well into the peak EDM model and may well be the apex of the bubble before we start to see it begin to decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2)...

Based on what I've seen from this year, ZHU and Chainsmokers are going to be as big as those names within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Based on what I've seen from this year, ZHU and Chainsmokers are going to be as big as those names within a year.
    Agreed. I wonder if the interest in EDM will shift to more "live" acts like Flume, Gorgon City, ODESZA, Disclosure and such instead of big superstar DJs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    But what the hell am I doing arguing with a Drake fan from Alaska

Agreed. I wonder if the interest in EDM will shift to more "live" acts like Flume, Gorgon City, ODESZA, Disclosure and such instead of big superstar DJs.
    I agree that the live acts are getting more attention by the masses, it seems. Hopefully the trend starts (continues) with Underworld in the Sahara this year. Ratatat last year in there was a good start.

oh that was brilliant.

I told my friends that were DJs to start looking elsewhere because the live electronic scene is on the rise. They did not believe me. Yet he were are 4 years later and they are jocking the nuts of Disclosure, Odesza, Galantis, etc.
    Last edited by M0D3Z; 04-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.

I think you can look to Ibiza to see where Vegas and the money is going to go next

The bubble burst? So Calvin Harris isn't headlining the biggest festival in the country and EDM isn't still dominating every fest, club, Uber ride around? Good to know.
    6/26 Sunflower Bean @ Constellation Room, 7/3 Telecaves @ Non Plus Ultra, 7/7 Mitski @ The Echo, 7/22 Weird Al @ Hollywood Bowl, 7/28 Tokimonsta @ Hammer Museum, 8/3 Marissa Nadler @ The Echo, 8/4 Radiohead @ Shrine Auditorium, 8/7 Sufjan Stevens @ Hollywood Bowl, 8/27-28 FYF Fest, 9/24 Music Tastes Good, 9/25 Lush @ Fonda

Definitely. Speaking personally, I've never had any interest in superstar DJ's, but I love a good live electronic act.

Personally, I think that article was atrocious.

Terrible timeline

This story could also be sub-titled "Robert Sillerman is a moron"

To suggest the EDM bubble has burst is just downright stupid.
    EDM is going through rebranding, the kids are finally bored of watching some moron press play, now they are demanding that said morons pretend to play instruments and bring out their "guests" to lip sync.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

This isn't a bad thing but I can tell you guys don't hang around 18 year olds. Ain't nothing bursting. The kids love this shit.

We're on a forum for a festival that has a Sahara tent, Yuma tent, Heiniken House, Despacio, Do-Lab, 3 outdoor closers being EDM heavyweights and the first EDM closer for the biggest NA music festival.

But....its bursting. The kids want to dance man.
    Last edited by WhyTheLongFace; 04-19-2016 at 10:59 AM.

I felt like I heard much more trap/rap playing in the campgrounds than previous years. Didn't hear any big room edm once. Some stuff truly sounded awful.

Judging from how many times it showed up in the Sahara live stream last weekend, apparently one instrument is going to save all of EDM. That instrument... is the saxophone.

EDM will always have a place in Coachella, as it should (just because you don't like it doesn't mean it needs to be abolished). I do think this year was the highpoint for it, though. For a bit, at least. I think Daft Punk will be the headliner next time they have an EDM headliner, maybe Swedish House Mafia. People are gravitating towards the electronic acts that play instruments, which I can understand why. They have more life to them than these push-play DJs.

I think hating on EDM is a misstep. There's fun to be had at shows like Disclosure and Odesza. I'm not totally into it either, but it has it's place and it's deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    "EDM" is to electronic music what Hair Metal was to metal. It will fade, and you'll think the assholes are gone, but then a few years later a new crowd of assholes will pop up. Metal had nu-metal, electronic music will have something equally shitty. The cosmic ballet goes on.
    the idea of an EDM equivalent of Korn or mudvayne is an absolute horror and probly inevitable...

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Definitely. Speaking personally, I've never had any interest in superstar DJ's, but I love a good live electronic act.
    Agreed with both

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    This isn't a bad thing but I can tell you guys don't hang around 18 year olds. Ain't nothing bursting. The kids love this shit.

We're on a forum for a festival that has a Sahara tent, Yuma tent, Heiniken House, Despacio, Do-Lab, 3 outdoor closers being EDM heavyweights and the first EDM closer for the biggest NA music festival.

But....its bursting. The kids want to dance man.
    Yuma is not EDM for the most part. There is a fair share of Nu EDM in there but they do a good job at keeping the rubbish outnof there.
    Do yourself a favor and see Maceo Plex in there next weekend.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Big dumb bright lights EDM will always have a place. I overheard several people talk about how boring they thought Underworld and 2manydjs were because their shows weren't as flashy. I also overheard a couple of people hating on Despacio because, "there's nothing to look at in there. there was just a giant disco ball and all they were doing was playing vinyl." These people are just at Coachella for the party. I do hope to see some variety though in upcoming years. Calvin Harris as a headliner is about as soulless as it can get.

August 26-28 - Psycho LV
    September 7 - Cobalt
    September 12 - Kraftwerk
    September 17 - Melvins
    September 20 - Wolves In The Throne Room
    September 21 - Kanye West
    September 30-October 2 - ACL wk.1
    October 7 - ACL wk.2
    October 11 - Failure
    November 6 - Sia
    November 12 - Black Sabbath

What I think is interesting is that the most anthemic "soaring, sugary chorus" type of EDM stars seem to be wilting in popularity as it becomes, well, pop music. It seemed like most of the younger crowd thought David Guetta was a dinosaur last year. It seems like the current Sahara type of acts are diverging into slightly different directions..."future house" which is more or less commercially accessible deep house, trap has held steady, tropical house has held steady, and then of course live acts like Flume or ODESZA are still very, very big. But while the sound is maybe diversifying a bit, it hardly seems dead. Jack U and Chainsmokers have huge radio hits. Every new pop start is trying to get on EDM records. From the live cast, it looked like anything in the Sahara was bursting out of the seams for the thousandth year in a row, and we had more big EDM artists play the outdoor or main than ever before.

I think we'll start to see the slow death of the Guettas, Afrojacks, and Kaskades of the world, but somebody who called The Chainsmokers and ZHU on the ascent is absolutely right. The big house style of EDM may die, but there'll be something else to take its place. Rap took over and became the new pop, and I think EDM will become the new pop for some time if it hasn't already. The type of stuff that gets played on our local hits types of stations is all essentially EDM at this point.

Agree with some of the posters in this thread. The special guests at top-tier EDM acts this year shows that EDM is back, and in a big way. Don't look for it to go anywhere any time soon.

or don't look for it at all. Ahhh? Ding.