1. 3/15/12 - Radiohead - Jobing.com Arena (Glendale, AZ)
2. 6/22/12 - Liars - The Fonda Theatre (Hollywood, CA)
3. 5/20/12 - Spiritualized - Belly Up Tavern (Solana Beach, CA)
4. 6/07/12 - A Place to Bury Strangers (opening band: This Will Destroy You) - Echoplex (Los Angeles, CA)
5. 1/17/12 - Steve Reich with Bang on a Can All-Stars - Walt Disney Concert Hall (Los Angeles, CA)
Ooo ooo me me. Top show of 2012 so far:
1. Radiohead w/ Other Lives - March 15, 2012 - Glendale Arena
2. Wilco w/ White Denim - February 10, 2012 - Arlington Theater
3. Mogwai w/ Chad VanGaalen - June 2, 2012 - The Henry Fonda
4. Say Anything w/Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band, Fake Problems, and Tallhart - May 3, 2012 - House of Blues Sunset Strip
5. Jeff Mangum w/ Andrew, Scott & Laura - April 23, 2012 - Orpheum Theatre
6. The Magnetic Fields w/ Bachelorette - March 23, 2012 - The Orpheum Theatre
7. Andrew W.K. w/ Math the Band and Beta Wolf - March 10, 2012 - The Glass House
These 7 stand out among the 21. Actually, I didnt take into account Coachella sets. Refused on Friday night Weekend 1 would probably get in there. As would Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg.
Last edited by cutterbutter; 07-01-2012 at 01:31 AM.
There's always more jobs. The same can't be said about Steve Reich shows.
I've seen Creed. It's not on my list as they were supporting a band I was in at the time. I didn't include shows I was part of. That would add around another 200 or so to the list.
Best sets of 2012 so far:
1. Pulp - Warfield
2. St. Vincent - Sasquatch
3. Asobi Seksu - Highline Ballroom
4. Little Dragon - Sasquatch
5. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Great American Music Hall
4/8 Ride @ The Roxy, 4/10 St. Vincent @ The Cosmopolitan, 4/14 Barry Manilow @ Staples Center, 5/2 Desert Daze, 5/8-10 Levitation, 5/16 The Juan Maclean @ The Regent, 6/10 Emmy the Great @ Hotel Cafe, 6/12 Emmy the Great @ Hotel Utah
Top ten for the first half of 2012 for me;
1)Squarepusher @ Creator's Project
2)Pulp @The Fox Theatre
3)Beck @ El Rey Theatre
4)Paratheical Girls @ Echoplex
5)Jack White @ Mayan Theater
6)Liars @ Fonda
7)Atlas Sound @ Center for Arts
8)The Magnetic Fields @ Orpheum
9)Jeff Mangum @ Oprheum Theatre
10)Blouse @ Constellation Room
Geezer disagrees with me and maybe Scenestar too, but after seening Squarepusher I thought that was one of the best concerts I ever saw.
Last edited by getbetter; 07-01-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Swans @ Terminal West 03/28/15
Drive like Jehu @ The Glass House 04/08/15
Electric Wizard @ Slims 04/17/15
Acid Mother Temple @ BOTM 04/18/15
Faith No More @ the Warfield 04/20/15
John Zorn @ UCLA 05/02/15
Will Bulter @ Slims 05/26/15
Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15
Mariah Carey @ Caesars palace 06/11/14
Kasabian - April 17 @ The Fonda Theater/Coachella (April 14)
Foster the People - June 30 @ Gibson Amphitheater
Coldplay - May 1 @ Hollywood Bowl
Beck w/ Dmitri Martin May 22 @ El Rey Theatre
311 - February 29 @ Ventura Theater
My top 5 of the year so far:
1. Colin Stetson (Openers: Sarah Neufeld, Gregory Rogrove), April 28th at Dilettante
2. Nils Frahm (Opener: Among Savages), April 28th at The Hotel Cafe
3. Jeff Mangum (Opener: Andrew, Scott, and Laura), April 23rd, at Orpheum Theatre
4. Godspeed You! Black Emperor, April 14th, Coachella
5. The Mountain Goats (Opener: Dustin Wong), June 30th at McCabe's Guitar Shop
Yeah, April kicked ass. Come to think of it my top two were on the same night and the top three were in the same week.
Also four of my top five were solo performances.
Last edited by IceyHotshot; 07-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Oh sit, I wish I woulda known about that Mountain Goats show. I totally would have gone to that.
On that note, anyone who likes punk rock should take note of my top 10 and see Mike Watt this month when he plays the Redwood Grill again. He was incredibly great last time.
I'm sure he (probably the full band)'ll do a proper tour once the new album comes out. Which, btw, is going to be really special, I think. The songs he played off it were really moving.
You smug assholes.
very envious, it should be a great show. d'angelo seemed in good spirits.
Last edited by buddy; 07-02-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Still tickets on TM guys...
tickets not being there isn't a reason i'm not going
There's no way I would be able to remember every show I went to back in middle school/high school days! Especially for basement/local shows where there weren't any tickets being sold before hand. But this would be a fun project to work on this summer...
Top ten for the first half of 2012:
1) Bjork @ NY Hall of Science 2/18
2) Radiohead @ Santa Barbara Bowl 4/14
3) Pulp @ Radio City 4/10
4) Modest Mouse @ 930 Club 6/21
5) Jack White @ Roseland Ballroom 5/22
6) Refused @ Acheron 4/23
7) Kraftwerk "The Man-Machine" @ MoMA 4/13
8) Jay-Z @ Carnegie Hall 2/7
9) The Clean @ LPR 6/5
10) Explosions in the Sky @ NYU 2/14
1. Radiohead, HP Pavilion San Jose (4/11/12).
2. Radiohead, Verizon Center DC (6/3/12)
3. Tool, Mandalay Vegas (1/15/12)
4. Jack White, Wiltern (5/30/12)
5. Roger Waters, Valley View Casino (5/13/12)
Been an amazing year for me...the first 3 shows on the list are all probably in my top 10 shows of all-time.
2012, so far. Started off strong but have slowed a bit the last couple months.
Jan 6: Mike Watt and the Missingmen @ Redwood Bar – Los Angeles, CA
Jan 17: Thou, The Body, DNF @ The Smell- Los Angeles, CA
Jan 27: Death Hymn Number 9, Thee Cormans @ Alex’s Bar – Long Beach, CA
Jan 28: FIDLAR, The Black Tibetans, The Strange Boys, Reigning Sound @ Alex’s Bar – Long Beach, CA
Jan 29: Planet Booty, Abby Posner @ The Mint – Los Angeles, CA
Feb 17: NASA Space Universe, Francis Harold and the Holograms, Low Places @ Five Stars Bar – Los Angeles, CA
Feb 18: Retox, Secret Fun Club, Spider Fever @ The Smell – Los Angeles, CA
Feb 22: Matthew Dear @ Eagle Rock Center for the Arts – Eagle Rock, CA
Feb 23: Disappears, The Fresh & Only’s @ The Echo – Los Angeles, CA
Feb 24: Atlas Sounds, Carnivores @ Eagle Rock Center for the Arts – Eagle Rock, CA
Feb 26: Archers of Loaf @ Troubadour – West Hollywood, CA
Mar 2: Cloud Nothings @ The Echo – Los Angeles, CA
Mar 3: Ty Segall, White Fence @ Troubadour – West Hollywood, CA
Mar 7: Thee Oh Sees, The Mallard @ Chasm – Los Angeles, CA
Mar 8: Andrew W.K. @ Avalon – Hollywood, CA
Mar 15: Radiohead, Other Lives @ Job.com Arena – Glendale, AZ
Mar 20: Nobunny, Hunx and His Punx @ Echoplex – Los Angeles, CA
Mar 24: OFF!, Ty Segall, The Strange Boys @ The Observatory OC – Santa Ana, CA
Mar 26: Nicolas Jaar @ Echoplex – Los Angeles, CA
Apr 7: Rodrigo y Gabriela @ Hollywood Palladium – Los Angeles, CA
Apr 13-15: Coachella Festival @ Empire Polo Fields – Indio, CA
Apr 27: Mike Watt and the Missingmen, Toys That Kill, Screaming Females @ Ballet School of San Pedro – San Pedro, CA
May 10: Lotus Plaza, Social Studies @ Echo – Los Angeles, CA
May 30: The Clean @ Echo – Los Angeles, CA
Jun 16: Make Music Pasadena: Grimes, Dam Funk – Pasadena, CA
Jun 19: THEESatisfaction @ Echo – Los Angeles, CA
Jun 26: The Men, Destruction Unit, Tropical Popsicle, Zig Zag @ The Smell – Los Angeles, CA
Last edited by rag and bone; 07-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.