So, I went to my first taping at ACL last night. Pretty good experience overall.
1. It's free.
2. Really awesome, intimate venue.
3. Great sound.
4. If you pull out your cell phone for ANY reason security will grab you and demand that you put it away.
1. Generally the sets are shorter than what you would get at a typical show.
2. It's extremely obvious that a lot of old yuppie types go "just to go." I had some old bro ask me during the middle of the set if I was familiar with the band. It was sad because a ton of people (real fans) were waiting outside the venue in case there were no shows.
3. Lot of chatter around me. These 40 something year old women were just laughing and clucking away during the Black Angels' set. Luckily, I wasn't the only one that was annoyed and some people sitting near by told them to put a fucking sock in it.
Overall, the good definitely outweighed the bad. Kind of hard to complain when the tapings are free.
EDIT* They also have venue/show specific prints for every taping which is awesome.