Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Help me understand . . .

Default Re: Help me understand . . .

"Get the fuck out of here"

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If you can't make the deadline you cant make the deadline. I didn't stop playing pokemon last night for nothing.

Are you trying to understand the contrail or it's paranoid aunt who didn't finish highschool and is a staunch advocate of returning to the gold standard, the chemtrail conspiracy theory?

8/7-8/9: Outside Lands Music Festival
    8/8: Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    8/11: Screaming Females @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/14: John Roberts, Laurel Halo @ f8
    8/20: The Sandwitches @ The Chapel
    8/22-23: FYF Fest
    8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/18: Octave One @ Mighty
    9/20: Max Graef, Huxley, Glenn Astro @ The Midway
    9/23-27: Decibel Festival
    9/29: Titus Andronicus

The conspiracy theory.

. . . how I am going to survive the next few weeks of Coachella updates?

You have a beautiful daughter whom I'm sure you are oh so proud of, and she is probably proud of you.
    Seeing her smile everyday should be an awesome help
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    What asshole brings an iPad to a hippie fire circle?

Aaah, that made me smile.

Thanks and true, until she starts taunting me about not being in the desert.

I saw a car with a Coachella sticker on the side today and Eve and I sighed a bit over it.
    NEW SIG

I'm strongly considering getting up early Saturday morning of week 1, driving to Indio, and doing a combination of my Coachella morning and afternoon rituals, them just driving back home.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Jon Hopkins is playing at Pappy and Harriet's on Thursday 4/16. I thought that might be a good way to get past my withdrawals, but I have a feeling it would make me miss it even more.

“I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose wars have all been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, literature is unread, music is unheard, and prayers are no more answered. Go ahead, destroy Armenia . See if you can do it. Send them into the desert without bread or water. Burn their homes and churches. Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again. For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a New Armenia.”

― William Saroyan

Can someone tell me the proper way to order my iced coffee at starbucks? if I ask for cream I get milk with a splash of coffee, and if I ask for light cream I get black coffee with a dribble of cream which is just yuck. Is it medium cream? half cream? There has to be some secret signal or something. The people at my Starbucks are less than helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I don't drink coffee, but when I order an Arnold palmer, I usually say 75% iced tea, 25% lemonade.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/5 Juanes @OC Fair - 8/6 Django Django @El Rey- 8/11 Hot Chip @Greek - 8/15 Superhumanoids @Echo Park Rising - 8/22&23 FYF Fest - 9/18-20 TBD Fest - 9/22 Glass Animals @ Observatory - 9/24 Future Islands @ Fox Pomona - 9/25 Mew @ Fonda - 9/26 Shamir @El Rey - 9/29 Disclosure @ LA Sports Arena - GOTHTOBER IAMX takes over Santa Ana, San Diego, LA, Philly, DC, New York

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    I don't drink coffee, but when I order an Arnold palmer, I usually say 75% iced tea, 25% lemonade.
    I will try that. I also love Arnold Palmers and think your way might be better. I hate when it's mostly lemonade.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

yeah, it depends on how strongly brewed the tea is, but I find that to be a good ratio.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/5 Juanes @OC Fair - 8/6 Django Django @El Rey- 8/11 Hot Chip @Greek - 8/15 Superhumanoids @Echo Park Rising - 8/22&23 FYF Fest - 9/18-20 TBD Fest - 9/22 Glass Animals @ Observatory - 9/24 Future Islands @ Fox Pomona - 9/25 Mew @ Fonda - 9/26 Shamir @El Rey - 9/29 Disclosure @ LA Sports Arena - GOTHTOBER IAMX takes over Santa Ana, San Diego, LA, Philly, DC, New York

This isn't a "Help me understand" in it's traditional sense. I'm fishing for opinions.

My principal is refusing to let go of an unofficial No-Zero Policy at our school. Teachers are starting to get frustrated, and parents are beginning to complain. People are concerned that students are getting passing grades despite the fact that they have done little to nothing to earn such a mark. She is asking us to present research/data to support our view that such a policy is unfair and is a detriment to the students.

I was hoping to hear your opinions.

So glad we are out of Newport, bunch of entitled little shits. How was a policy like that even implemented. Show your principal the scene from whiplash where guy says the worst thing you can ever say to a kid is "good job." If they are satisfied at the bottom they will never have a drive to do better. In terms of learning it should never be just "good enough", it's a shitty example to set.

An F has become more of a label and part of an inescapable spiral than a reflection of performance. A barely passing grade isn't any more unfair to those competing for A's and B's.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Hey Gunz, I've been hearing more and more about "no zero" grading. I think I would need more specifics to better state my opinion, but I think that a lowest grade of 50% is OK for students that bomb tests/quizzes or have poor quality work. I am not OK with giving students points for not turning in any work. I find that the students that dgaf and/or don't try will still fail if that's the case.

Never understood why we can't go to those countries that are excelling in education and model our system after theirs. Oh I remember now, the testing business is a multi billion dollar a year industry and that's what America is about. It's truly sad.

What parents are complaining - the parents of students getting the no zeros or the parents of students doing the work? and what's the nature of their complaints?

8/7-8/9: Outside Lands Music Festival
    8/8: Holly Herndon @ The Chapel
    8/11: Screaming Females @ The Rickshaw Stop
    8/14: John Roberts, Laurel Halo @ f8
    8/20: The Sandwitches @ The Chapel
    8/22-23: FYF Fest
    8/29: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/18: Octave One @ Mighty
    9/20: Max Graef, Huxley, Glenn Astro @ The Midway
    9/23-27: Decibel Festival
    9/29: Titus Andronicus

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Never understood why we can't go to those countries that are excelling in education and model our system after theirs. Oh I remember now, the testing business is a multi billion dollar a year industry and that's what America is about. It's truly sad.
    While standardized testing is not perfect by any means, it is not the reason for education failure in the US. Many of the top educational countries (Japan, Finland, etc) have standardized testing with much higher stakes for the students when compared to the US.

What parents are complaining - the parents of students getting the no zeros or the parents of students doing the work? and what's the nature of their complaints?
    I couldn't really specify which parent population is complaining. The word on the streets is that my school is passing kids that shouldn't be passed, and when they get to the high school they are shocked that they are not getting passing scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    Hey Gunz, I've been hearing more and more about "no zero" grading. I think I would need more specifics to better state my opinion, but I think that a lowest grade of 50% is OK for students that bomb tests/quizzes or have poor quality work. I am not OK with giving students points for not turning in any work. I find that the students that dgaf and/or don't try will still fail if that's the case.
    There is no official system. Our principal pulls us into her office every quarter to take a look at our Ds and Fs. She would never say you must not give a zero for missed work, but she strongly encourages us to reconsider some of the grades. This has not been an issue for me considering I always accept late work and I rarely choose to dock points if assignments are late. But other teachers are encouraged to give partial credit or excuse the student all together from certain assignments. Thus there are students who are pulling a C- when they have earned a failing grade.

Her logic is that a missed assignment is not necessarily reflective of lacking the knowledge, and she fears that students who get too far behind would become overwhelmed and shut down.

So it's basically get them outta here and let the next step in the system deal with them.

Ha. I think of Pump up the Volume every time she calls me in to discuss grades. It is not as if we can get rid of students who are not being successful, but eliminating the zeros can mask the failing rates. It makes her look good, but makes the teachers look like chumps.

And, yes . . . It's social promotion which I do not feel is of any benefit to the student.

I'd say it's a bullshit policy if it wasn't for the fact the most teachers barley understand the subjects they're trying to teach, have next to zero empathy with their students or enthusiasm for their job, and F their students on a daily basis.

Most students are bored out of their minds because grade school education in this country is about being graded on ones ability to memorize and regurgitate information without learning about the meaning behind it all. It's a travesty and a tragedy. Some personality types can thrive on jumping for chicken feed because they know they just gotta do it. Other kids simply will not ever memorize the adoption date of the declaration of independance if they aren't being engaged on the importance of the content of that document by a person who is really passionate and knowladgable about the subject. Why should they care if it appears that their teacher barley cares to understand themselves? Kids are smart. Adults are lazy.
    Last edited by WithVigor; 05-11-2015 at 12:12 PM.

barley

You see, y'all failed me.