Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

this thread, and reflecting on the recent Tech Data IT Conference in Florida where it was comprised of at least 90% sausages, is getting me more and more excited for the new wave of female network engineers out there. A lot of times good looking women are asking how to fix things, these girls are already smarter than you. Navigating with ease through IP settings is similar to the beauty of seeing a well dressed Italian donna weave through traffic on a scooter. Examples:

An Israeli I insulted by texting a request for a breast pic one night (we had hung out by the pool all afternoon beforehand. She said "it feels good" when I put an ice cube on her navel as we both watched it melt. She brought up her hair removal machine as the only item of value in her hotel room. Then I get a "not cool" when you are out that evening with another guy. Pfft. But she is very smart per her Linked In page)

Interviewing this girl on Thursday for a part time position in my company. She called me back after I'd left a message with the job inquiry on her robotic vmail. Our initial phone conversation: "This is Arune" "Excuse me?" "Arune. This is Arune" "Sorry, having trouble understanding. You are breaking up a bit". She wasn't breaking up at all, I had just assumed Arune was a man originally. I want to hire this girl. I want a sexy, smart female engineer whom customers will look forward to seeing. Not the typical dime-a-dozen ugly sausages.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

... What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

you're obsolete.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    If "everybody loses" why do they continue to pay the sales guys?
    Capitalism?

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    Because they don't know they are losing. They have no idea there is a much better product for them that costs half as much. And once its purchased, IT guy doesn't want to tell his boss what a dumb ass purchase he just made.

And you are assuming that everybody who gets paid is actually earning it. Judging by how much time you spend on these boards at work, surely you know getting paid has nothing to do with being good at your job.
    It takes an IT mentality to assume that businessmen don't know how to run a business, that the laws of economics don't apply, and that pretty much everybody is stupid except the fat poorly dressed IT guy with the messy office. That the only thing that adds value is technical competence.

And I can assure you I am among the best in the US at what I do.
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-31-2013 at 01:38 PM.

I'm mystified as to how Tom became the enemy here.

Because I asked why salesmen get paid like they do.

And then you got sexecutioned!

Seriously though, Tom... Sales people aren't exactly the most considerate, honest, or scrupulous individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    ... What the fuck does that have to do with anything?
    was offering a job after you get breast implants and a wig
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

When backing up my files yesterday somehow my Western Digital external HD made a duplicate of all the files I had on there already. Short of going through every folder and doing so manually, can anyone recommend a relatively easier way to delete the duplicates?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Throw the hard drive out a window. That should take care of any duplicates.

Do I have to download any extra RAM to do that?
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

It's probably a good idea for better weight distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    When backing up my files yesterday somehow my Western Digital external HD made a duplicate of all the files I had on there already. Short of going through every folder and doing so manually, can anyone recommend a relatively easier way to delete the duplicates?
    If it would be okay to just delete anything on the drive with a created by date of yesterday, i can prob write you a script to do it

If it's not too onerous of a task, it's probably better to back up again but fix the settings so it doesn't duplicate.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    If it would be okay to just delete anything on the drive with a created by date of yesterday, i can prob write you a script to do it
    I appreciate the offer, but what's a bit strange is that the created and modified dates listed for the original and duplicate files are the same; what's different is that the file name has a long string of letters and numbers with @ before it.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidL View Post
    If it's not too onerous of a task, it's probably better to back up again but fix the settings so it doesn't duplicate.
    I thought about this too, but there are some things on the external which aren't on my computer's hard drive as it was getting full. I suppose I could just copy them back to my computer and then clear/back-up the external.

What's the drive letter of your backup drive? I'm done with the file, I can send you a link to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I don't see how that's possible. You open up the properties of one of the folders that just got copied yesterday and you're telling me the Created Date is not yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I don't see how that's possible. You open up the properties of one of the folders that just got copied yesterday and you're telling me the Created Date is not yesterday?
    I have seen this before and it's the first thing that went though my mind when you offered a script solution. If he did a raw imaging of the disk, meaning reading the raw sectors directly and saved them on the external drive then the file mod and create will not be updated (since the OS does that but it has been bypassed).

I just got this thing back up and working again and kind of stumbled on this issue kind of by accident, so it is entirely possible that I somehow told it to create two files when it saved over initially and just never noticed until now. Some of the documents on the external which I have made changes to on the "computer version" of the file have different modified dates, so I guess it's just the ones I haven't changed which have the same dates.

I just got this thing back up and working again and kind of stumbled on this issue kind of by accident, so it is entirely possible that I somehow told it to create two files when it saved over initially and just never noticed until now. Some of the documents on the external which I have made changes to on the "computer version" of the file have different modified dates, so I guess it's just the ones I haven't changed which have the same dates.
    But answer my question specifically--go to one of the folders that's a dupe you made yesterday, right-click, click Properties, what is the Created Date?

I have seen this before and it's the first thing that went though my mind when you offered a script solution. If he did a raw imaging of the disk, meaning reading the raw sectors directly and saved them on the external drive then the file mod and create will not be updated (since the OS does that but it has been bypassed).
    I suppose. I mean, I'm not arguing that your scenario is accurate if he was using an imaging solution, but something still feels off.

Ok, I looked a bit more closely and the files with the string of numbers and letters behind them have an earlier date modified than the files which are "normal." What's strange, though, is that there is not a uniform "date modified" date for those files which have dupes - it seems that the hard drive was recording any change I made to the file and keeping the original too.

Sorry if this is testing your patience; I do appreciate the help and I probably should have explored the issue a bit more before I asked for advice.

EDIT - here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 09-09-2013 at 04:19 PM.

What software did you use for the backup process?

What software did you use for the backup process?
    WD SmartWare; it's the software which came with the drive.

Hmm... that's funky. I guess the settings for the backup didn't specify to check for previously existing versions.

Um... I'm thinking we could still do this via script and just use FORFILE and have it delete everything with an @ symbol in the name. Can't imagine why you'd have any other files that would have that symbol in there legitimately. Do the folders have that naming convention as well? Or wait, it didn't dupe any folders? Just duped all the files within the folders?

Okay, if that's the case--that the @ symbol is present in all of those files--I have a script for you. Just let me know what drive letter your WD is.

For other geek reference, here's how to do it:

forfiles /p G: /s /m *@.* /c "cmd /c del /q @path"

Tells it to find all files in the G: drive including subdirectories which are named anything with a @ with any extension.

If you think you're up to doing it yourself rather than me transfer you the file, here's how to make a batch file out of that:

copy that line I posted into a Notepad file. Change the G drive letter to whatever drive letter your WD is. Do a Save As, change the Save As Type drop-down at the very bottom from Text Files to All Files, then save it as DelScript.bat (or whatever you want, it just has to have a .bat extension). Then just double-click the DelScript.bat file and it will go through the drive and delete everything with a @ in the name.

Thanks for this; could the code you wrote be modified to perform the command in a specific file folder rather than the entire G drive? I want to try it out first before I do it to the entire drive.