Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 870 of 1200

Thread: Computer SOS!

  1. #841
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    7,539

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    In summary, all we are saying is that instead of :
    Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    Check into using something like box.com for your file collaborations. Has nothing to do with size. All the storage is hosted, and you can make changes from anywhere; smartphone, ipad, etc. It's not a "commercial" product like Drop Box. More secure, business intuitive.
    something along these lines would be more appropriate:

    Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    I don’t know about THAT, but let me tell you about a brand new, revolutionary product that people everywhere are really starting to talk about ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

  2. #842
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    13,224

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Actually I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying stick your uninformed sales pitch up your big fat ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  3. #843
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,567

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Actually I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying stick your uninformed sales pitch up your big fat ass.
    Ha ha. My uninformed sales pitch must be doing something right. Now, go address the backed up help desk tickets while the adults talk business strategy.

  4. #844
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    13,224

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Actually I do actual IT consulting--meaning not only do I help businesses grow profitably through the smart use of technology (which i sell them), but I also ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT I'M SELLING. Which is a hell of a relief to all the businesses I encounter who are so fucking tired of dipshits like you who sell them a product that isn't fit for their needs because you don't understand what is actually best for a company because you don't understand the tech.

    Nice business strategy, dipshit. "Even though I understand nothing about your industry, infrastructure, needs, or really anything whatsoever, I think what you need to is to purchase my company's cloud services, because they're SO much better for what you're trying to accomplish (except that I don't understand anything about what you're trying to accomplish because I'm just a sales asshole who doesn't understand how computers work)."
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  5. #845
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,796

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Actually I do actual IT consulting--meaning not only do I help businesses grow profitably through the smart use of technology (which i sell them), but I also ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT I'M SELLING. Which is a hell of a relief to all the businesses I encounter who are so fucking tired of dipshits like you who sell them a product that isn't fit for their needs because you don't understand what is actually best for a company because you don't understand the tech.

    Nice business strategy, dipshit. "Even though I understand nothing about your industry, infrastructure, needs, or really anything whatsoever, I think what you need to is to purchase my company's cloud services, because they're SO much better for what you're trying to accomplish (except that I don't understand anything about what you're trying to accomplish because I'm just a sales asshole who doesn't understand how computers work)."
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  6. #846
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,567

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Actually I do actual IT consulting--meaning not only do I help businesses grow profitably through the smart use of technology (which i sell them), but I also ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT I'M SELLING. Which is a hell of a relief to all the businesses I encounter who are so fucking tired of dipshits like you who sell them a product that isn't fit for their needs because you don't understand what is actually best for a company because you don't understand the tech.

    Nice business strategy, dipshit. "Even though I understand nothing about your industry, infrastructure, needs, or really anything whatsoever, I think what you need to is to purchase my company's cloud services, because they're SO much better for what you're trying to accomplish (except that I don't understand anything about what you're trying to accomplish because I'm just a sales asshole who doesn't understand how computers work)."
    Right, Randy. I take business from blowhards like you all the time. I'll put my track record of new business and recurring business up against yours all day, every day. I understand more than enough, or I wouldn't be able to do what I do for as long or be as successful. The thing is, I know my limitations, so I surround myself with team members that are vastly superior to you in every way. I don't pretend to know everything like you, because I guarantee you...you don't.

    Love ya, hugs and kisses, yada yada.

  7. #847
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Uh huh. That's a great retort-give terrible, self-interested advice that's utterly useless, and then when you get called on your shit just revert back to your confidence in how much better your "team" is than I am. And yeah, i have to deal with people like you all the time too--some know-nothing bullshit artist fills clients heads with a sales pitch that is of no use to them whatsoever and then my side of things has to explain that sales people are liars who don't understand what they're selling in the slightest.

  8. #848
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    15,688

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    I fucking hate sales people.

  9. #849
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,567

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Uh huh. That's a great retort-give terrible, self-interested advice that's utterly useless, and then when you get called on your shit just revert back to your confidence in how much better your "team" is than I am. And yeah, i have to deal with people like you all the time too--some know-nothing bullshit artist fills clients heads with a sales pitch that is of no use to them whatsoever and then my side of things has to explain that sales people are liars who don't understand what they're selling in the slightest.
    Eh, like I said. Must be doing something right. Clients have trusted me for 10+ years or more. Clients that transition from an archaic NetApp appliance supporting 2000 people (that some "dipshit" talked them into) to an EMC 3 array solution that will scale with them for years. With more iops, better user interface, and the ability for the system to transition from pool to pool on its own based on the amount of file access. That was solution was presented after three meetings, a few Visio designs, etc. Next up is there VDI project. But, of course, I have no idea what I talking about because you say so.

    Not everything is as it seems, Randy dear.

  10. #850
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    You know, randy and shaker are brilliant industrialists who can't be bothered with every aspect of a successful enterprise.

  11. #851
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    13,224

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    Eh, like I said. Must be doing something right. Clients have trusted me for 10+ years or more. Clients that transition from an archaic NetApp appliance supporting 2000 people (that some "dipshit" talked them into) to an EMC 3 array solution that will scale with them for years. With more iops, better user interface, and the ability for the system to transition from pool to pool on its own based on the amount of file access. That was solution was presented after three meetings, a few Visio designs, etc. Next up is there VDI project. But, of course, I have no idea what I talking about because you say so.

    Not everything is as it seems, Randy dear.
    That's a delightful series of terms you threw out, Sean. Do you have any insight that isn't culled from your budget proposals and packets of information that were written by other people who actually understand the technology?

    It's great that you do well in the field of enterprise-level storage solutions. That being said, your (sales) knowledge of that one small facet of a company's IT needs does not change the fact that what you said earlier was just fucking retarded and had absolutely zero relevance to Wes's company. And the reason that it had zero relevance? Because all you know is your little segment of the world and how to sell it.

    Also, scale them for years? How many years do you think? I'm just curious how deluded you are by the bullshit you're selling people.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  12. #852
    Member LiquidL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Well it's simple, a client/server architecture like hosted SQL servers cannot be transposed directly onto what box.com offers which is, more or less, cloud based storage.

    Just saying.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I

  13. #853
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    13,224

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Have you not been listening to Sean? He's been doing this for years, he knows what he's talking about. So obviously he understands that there's more involved in the operation of a company than just data storage.

    Oh no, wait. That's what didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  14. #854
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    15,688

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    I think his tactic is the equivalent of inviting your entire friends list to your event on facebook. it costs him nothing to spout out his sales pitch everywhere there might be a slight resemblence of relevance, just in case, and has the added benefit of not requiring any thought. once in a while it's bound to have a hit. the only cost is bothering and potentially misleading hundreds of people along the way.

  15. #855
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,567

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    That's a delightful series of terms you threw out, Sean. Do you have any insight that isn't culled from your budget proposals and packets of information that were written by other people who actually understand the technology?

    It's great that you do well in the field of enterprise-level storage solutions. That being said, your (sales) knowledge of that one small facet of a company's IT needs does not change the fact that what you said earlier was just fucking retarded and had absolutely zero relevance to Wes's company. And the reason that it had zero relevance? Because all you know is your little segment of the world and how to sell it.

    Also, scale them for years? How many years do you think? I'm just curious how deluded you are by the bullshit you're selling people.
    Well, sine you asked...they had 15tb raw, and about 9tb that was being used. With the knowledge of the VDI project ( hence the need for superior iops and the use of SSD drives), we scaled that out to an even 20tb, with room to grow. Main campus has a VNx 5300 with two locations running Vnxe 3300's. Adding two more 3300's this summer at other locations.

    Also done AD, Exchange Migration, blade servers, tablets with Citrix XenApp, among other things. Just for this one client. I know what I am doing Randy, but I appreciate your concern.
    Last edited by downingthief; 05-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.

  16. #856
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,567

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I think his tactic is the equivalent of inviting your entire friends list to your event on facebook. it costs him nothing to spout out his sales pitch everywhere there might be a slight resemblence of relevance, just in case, and has the added benefit of not requiring any thought. once in a while it's bound to have a hit. the only cost is bothering and potentially misleading hundreds of people along the way.
    Yup, ya got me.

  17. #857
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    13,224

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Um, you didn't actually answer my question, but way to throw out a bunch more terms there to look legitimate. How many years do you think what you just sold them will be a viable and effective solution?

    Have you ever actually done an AD/Exchange migration? Or you just mean you sold them it and then other people did it?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  18. #858
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,567

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    No, I haven't, don't need to. I have Engineers to do that for me. I understand how it works, and am involved every step.

    Sorry, forgot to answer your time question...based on their projected growth and the VDI project, the estimation is to last at least 5 years. Then, revisit to see if we need to transition to a new base unit, or continue to scale up and out. To compare, their NetApp didn't even last them a year.

  19. #859
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    None of it matters anyways because I've decided to enter the industry. Sell out now. I'll pay a premium compared to what it be will worth in a couple years

  20. #860
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    13,224

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    No, I haven't, don't need to. I have Engineers to do that for me. I understand how it works, and am involved every step.

    Sorry, forgot to answer your time question...based on their projected growth and the VDI project, the estimation is to last at least 5 years. Then, revisit to see if we need to transition to a new base unit, or continue to scale up and out. To compare, their NetApp didn't even last them a year.
    5 years. Ha. Okay buddy, wanna bet 5 grand on that?

    And of course you haven't actually done it. You're sales. AD/Exchange migration is easy to move to a hosted solution. There's been hosted Exchange for almost a decade and AD is easy enough to transfer to a cloud solution because you can configure Active Directory to call to an external source. You should stick to giving advice about those things and just shut the fuck up about technologies that you have no experience with. As much as you accuse me of thinking that I know everything, I wouldn't dare hop in to a conversation that actually pertained to enterprise-level cloud storage because it's not something I'm an authority on.

    You jumped in to suggest a solution to a technology that you don't understand in the slightest. Don't try and fucking defend yourself by attacking me. You got out of pocket and it was a douchebag move. Just accept the fact that you should have shut the fuck up because the subject matter had zero relevance to your realm of quasi-understanding. That's all I'm saying.

    Now man the fuck up and admit that you were pimping your business without really grasping the realities involved and bow out. Do the adult thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  21. #861
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,895

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    If my memory serves me correctly, Wes works for a Fortune 50 company. I'm pretty sure this entire discussion is totally irrelevant given how many layers of decision-making there probably are between him and any CIO-type figure.

  22. #862
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    13,224

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Exactly. Which is why it was a fucking jerkoff thing to say in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  23. #863
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    7,539

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Not sure what's up. Yesterday before I left the office I changed the power option to never turn off my monitors. Logged in from home last night and came in this morning. Both of my monitors were on and I was able to log in easily. It worked. So I went to double check my power options and it's been reverted back to turning them off after 30 minutes.

    Whatever. I'm sure at this point it has something to do with that Nightwatchman bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

  24. #864
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,567

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    5 years. Ha. Okay buddy, wanna bet 5 grand on that?

    And of course you haven't actually done it. You're sales. AD/Exchange migration is easy to move to a hosted solution. There's been hosted Exchange for almost a decade and AD is easy enough to transfer to a cloud solution because you can configure Active Directory to call to an external source. You should stick to giving advice about those things and just shut the fuck up about technologies that you have no experience with. As much as you accuse me of thinking that I know everything, I wouldn't dare hop in to a conversation that actually pertained to enterprise-level cloud storage because it's not something I'm an authority on.

    You jumped in to suggest a solution to a technology that you don't understand in the slightest. Don't try and fucking defend yourself by attacking me. You got out of pocket and it was a douchebag move. Just accept the fact that you should have shut the fuck up because the subject matter had zero relevance to your realm of quasi-understanding. That's all I'm saying.

    Now man the fuck up and admit that you were pimping your business without really grasping the realities involved and bow out. Do the adult thing.
    Make it 10 grand. I'll endorse a solution that I constructed along with 2 certified EMC engineers (one of which ran a Data center for a Fortune 500 company, and was a design architect for EMC). It was also endorsed by the EMC rep for the account. He let us do all the work because of our knowledge base. In addition, this solution was presented to the entire Western Region at EMC as a case study on how to win against NetAPP as well as Nimble (they presented a solution as well).

    On the "jump in", if you read what I wrote...what I suggested wasn't a solution. Just was an observation on his VPN issues. I read into it more as something collaborative. To your point, again I agree with you as I stated earlier, I don't know about Wes' company.

    I am sales, and consulting. If I were just sales, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have. You can consult and not do the implementation. Happens all the time in this industry. This particular client's Exchange migration was a mess because they are a Community College, so the staff and student email were separate (student email was around 5000 addresses). We had to keep the 2003 active as we moved the 2010.

  25. #865
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Not sure what's up. Yesterday before I left the office I changed the power option to never turn off my monitors. Logged in from home last night and came in this morning. Both of my monitors were on and I was able to log in easily. It worked. So I went to double check my power options and it's been reverted back to turning them off after 30 minutes.

    Whatever. I'm sure at this point it has something to do with that Nightwatchman bug.
    That is interesting and super odd that it would really just be the monitor off setting. In all likelihood anything you change in those settings will be reverted by a system policy/that application. Frankly I'm surprised you can change those settings at all, usually group policy would prevent you but i guess they leave those options up to nightwatchman instead of setting them in AD. Did you tell IT about your discovery? I don't know that application but maybe there's a way to set an exemption for your machine.

  26. #866
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    Make it 10 grand. I'll endorse a solution that I constructed along with 2 certified EMC engineers (one of which ran a Data center for a Fortune 500 company, and was a design architect for EMC). It was also endorsed by the EMC rep for the account. He let us do all the work because of our knowledge base. In addition, this solution was presented to the entire Western Region at EMC as a case study on how to win against NetAPP as well as Nimble (they presented a solution as well).

    On the "jump in", if you read what I wrote...what I suggested wasn't a solution. Just was an observation on his VPN issues. I read into it more as something collaborative. To your point, again I agree with you as I stated earlier, I don't know about Wes' company.

    I am sales, and consulting. If I were just sales, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have. You can consult and not do the implementation. Happens all the time in this industry. This particular client's Exchange migration was a mess because they are a Community College, so the staff and student email were separate (student email was around 5000 addresses). We had to keep the 2003 active as we moved the 2010.
    It's a bet. Whatever you have in place now will be replaced within 3 years. Your response to his VPN issue was irrelevant blabber.

  27. #867

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    I have to agree with Randy on this one. Reading about Wes' setup and then suggesting some cloud based document collaboration bullshit is the typical ignorant sales diarrhea I hear all the time in this industry and it is annoying as fuck. Sales guys hardly ever have the technical expertise to actually recommend the right product for a client. Claiming you have this expertise when you think your product could actually be a replacement for Wes' high end dev box that connects to internal SQL DBs simply shows just how full of shit you are. Nothing personal against you, but I just see this shit way too often. Sales guy gets some dumb ass manager or director all pumped on some product, neither of them know shit about the technical aspects or that there's actually better ways, then sys admin gets stuck trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, and everybody loses, except sales guy who just cashed in.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

  28. #868
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,039

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    If "everybody loses" why do they continue to pay the sales guys?

  29. #869
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    What's the alternative? Find a sales guy who isn't a dumb dick? Good luck.

  30. #870

    Default Re: Computer SOS!

    Because they don't know they are losing. They have no idea there is a much better product for them that costs half as much. And once its purchased, IT guy doesn't want to tell his boss what a dumb ass purchase he just made.

    And you are assuming that everybody who gets paid is actually earning it. Judging by how much time you spend on these boards at work, surely you know getting paid has nothing to do with being good at your job.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Similar Threads

  1. Computer question
    By Somewhat Damaged in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
  2. OK Computer Tribute Album
    By luckyface in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
  3. Stereogum Presents...OKX: A Tribute to OK Computer
    By Tylerdurden31 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
  4. I'm looking for a computer program...
    By Good Days Last in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •