Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1200

Thread: Computer SOS!

Default Re: Computer SOS!

The drive is shot, replace it. And yes, you should be able to put it into more or less any other desktop--their shapes and connection types are pretty uniform, unless the Dell is so old that it uses the big wide white IDE cable connector for drives instead of the newer small SATA cables that have become the standard. Otherwise though, should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Thanks. The Dell isn't all that old so I'll give that a go.

You can get a new drive for 25 bucks on newegg though I'm pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    I'm able to open and close the disc drive tray, but my PC won't recognize any discs I put in it.
    if you can hear it spin up the disk trying using a can of air to clean out the inside. heck, just try that anyway since it takes 2 seconds.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014 2015
    6/21 Underworld at the Bowl 8/1-8/2 HARD Summer Music Fesitval 8/7-8/9 Outside Lands

This is not technically a computer problem, but it's a weird ass technology question that I bet someone on here knows the answer to. Quick background:

I used to own an iPhone 5.
    Phone was stolen and deactivated last year.
    I kept my same phone number.
    My replacement phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3 (and, yes, I will be switching back to an iPhone in the future)
    I also own a first generation, wifi only, iPad 1.
    I never used the iPad for any messaging/phone tasks like SMS--just used it for watching Netflix and Hulu, web browsing, e-reading etc.
    I'm on Verizon.

A friend of mine just got a new iPhone 5s. She has the same number she had before on her dumb phone. She got mad at me for ignorning some of her texts--texts which I had no record of receiving. It turns out that sometimes, when she sends me a text message--through the main iPhone messaging system, not via a 3rd party app like WhatsApp--her message shows up on my iPad instead of on my Samsung Galaxy s3 phone. It doesn't happen every time she texts me and she's the only person this happens with. I have other other friends with iPhones and their texts always make it to my phone. Any idea what would cause this to happen. And, yes, we confirmed that she's texting/messaging correctly. She's on AT&T.

So... any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

I know you said you've checked that she's sending correctly, but she's probably using iMessage instead of a standard text.
    2012 2013 2014 2015
    6/21 Underworld at the Bowl 8/1-8/2 HARD Summer Music Fesitval 8/7-8/9 Outside Lands

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    if you can hear it spin up the disk trying using a can of air to clean out the inside. heck, just try that anyway since it takes 2 seconds.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just put a disc in and it's not even spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I know you said you've checked that she's sending correctly, but she's probably using iMessage instead of a standard text.
    This is exactly what the dumb broad was doing, despite my verifying this with her more than a week ago. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    This is exactly what the dumb broad was doing, despite my verifying this with her more than a week ago. Thanks!
    through the main iPhone messaging system iMessage is not standard text message. Dumb bish.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Norton 360 is about to expire on my home PC. I don't want to pay to renew it because I have a new computer arriving in two weeks which will come pre-loaded with anti-virus software. However, I don't want my my current PC to be vulnerable in the interim. Any recommendations on a free anti-virus system to dl or are they all useless?

some of the free AVs are actually quite good and I prefer them to norton/mcafee. both of these will work fine and are free:

AVG (used to be great, but it's still pretty good.)
    Avast (pretty good and has a small footprint, so it's not going to slow your PC down much.)
    2012 2013 2014 2015

Microsoft Security Essentials. Just make sure you uninstall Norton first. Norton is fucking garbage.

Thanks, guys. Should have mentioned, this is a pretty old PC (2006) with Windows XP, in case that makes a diff.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

new laptop arrived before my trip, thank goodness! it has windows 8.1. how the fuck do you close apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials. Just make sure you uninstall Norton first. Norton is fucking garbage.
    Yeah, I was gonna say, if your new computer comes with Norton, get rid of it and replace it with something else.
    last.fm
    7/31/15 - Melt Banana w/Torche @ Roxy // 8/22/15-8/23/15 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park // 9/17/15 - Hum w/Mineral @ Regent //9/26/15 - Titus Andronicus @ Roxy
    10/20/15 - Blur @ Hollywood Bowl // 11/12/15 - Desaparacidos @ Teragram Ballroom // 11/21/15 - Blind Guardian @ City National Grove of Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    new laptop arrived before my trip, thank goodness! it has windows 8.1. how the fuck do you close apps?
    if it's a metro app (from the store), grab it from the top of the screen and drag it to the bottom. easier on a touchscreen but you can use it with most trackpads, too. alt+f4 also works for most apps, as well. you can also charm in from the topleft corner and get a list of all running apps and close them from there (or hover your mouse pointer in the top left corner).
    2012 2013 2014 2015

Microsoft Security Essentials is a great free antivirus and if you want to be covered a bit better, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a wonderful program. If you want to be nice and actually pay them for it (it's easy to find stolen licenses), they're only like 29 bucks or something and it's for a lifetime. Really fair piece of software, but will work for free too you just have to run it manually.

Cheers!

You should hurry, I believe MS will no longer let you download MSE for XP after April (they are ending support for the OS in April). You could still find it at CNET or whatever download places there are now. But even if you have it they will no longer update the definitions after April or May of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post

The best way to ensure that you can get totally strong coverage at both ends of an apartment that might have a lot of signal blocking materials in the walls is to use powerline adapters and a second wireless access point at the opposite end of your place. here's a perfectly good set of powerline adapters for only 40 bucks from TP-Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704165
    Thanks for this. I'd tried the repeater thing with no luck, so this seems like a good option. I ordered the powerline adapters you linked to and set them up a couple days ago. I've confirmed that they're working by plugging an ethernet cable from the remote powerline adapter into my Apple TV, but I'm having problems setting up a wireless access point.

I got a new router, an ASUS, a few weeks ago. I'm using the ASUS firmware on it.

I have an older router, a Linksys, that I had put DD-WRT firmware on in hopes of extending the signal (didn't really work or I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now).

I tried setting up the Linksys as a wireless access point using these instructions, but ran into trouble when I hit "apply settings" instead of "save" after Step 3 in the "Long Version" instructions.

When I hit "apply settings," I lost the DD-WRT interface screen and now I can't get it back. If I try going to 192.168.1.1, it either takes me to the ASUS settings screen or gives me an error message. I tried 192.168.1.2 and that just gives an error. I can't get any Internet access out of the Linksys now, whether through ethernet cable direct from my cable modem or through wireless. (My ASUS still works fine.)

Any advice on how I can get back to the DD-WRT settings for the Linksys so I can finish the wireless access point steps? I have to admit I'm in a bit over my head with all this.

Thanks for this. I'd tried the repeater thing with no luck, so this seems like a good option. I ordered the powerline adapters you linked to and set them up a couple days ago. I've confirmed that they're working by plugging an ethernet cable from the remote powerline adapter into my Apple TV, but I'm having problems setting up a wireless access point.

I got a new router, an ASUS, a few weeks ago. I'm using the ASUS firmware on it.

I have an older router, a Linksys, that I had put DD-WRT firmware on in hopes of extending the signal (didn't really work or I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now).

I tried setting up the Linksys as a wireless access point using these instructions, but ran into trouble when I hit "apply settings" instead of "save" after Step 3 in the "Long Version" instructions.

When I hit "apply settings," I lost the DD-WRT interface screen and now I can't get it back. If I try going to 192.168.1.1, it either takes me to the ASUS settings screen or gives me an error message. I tried 192.168.1.2 and that just gives an error. I can't get any Internet access out of the Linksys now, whether through ethernet cable direct from my cable modem or through wireless. (My ASUS still works fine.)

Any advice on how I can get back to the DD-WRT settings for the Linksys so I can finish the wireless access point steps? I have to admit I'm in a bit over my head with all this.

Try doing the hard reset. If that fails, you may have bricked your router which I believe is forewarned all over that site.

EDIT:Here is the forum I visit. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/ God speed to you. If the Coachella/forum is heaven, you certainly are entering the gates of hell.
    Last edited by vogina; 02-23-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Thanks. I looked at the DD-WRT forum and was a bit intimidated. I was hoping I could get an answer in English here, but will dive into that forum later if not.

Thanks. I looked at the DD-WRT forum and was a bit intimidated. I was hoping I could get an answer in English here, but will dive into that forum later if not.
    Understandable. The solution to something like this always dwells upon: "Did you try this?" "If not that, how about this?" And so on..

I got a new laptop (Windows 8) and the volume keys on the keyboard as well as the scroll up and down keys aren't working... Which is really annoying especially having to go to the volume icon and change it manually there. How do I get them to work?

8/22-8/23 FYF Fest
    9/25 Titus Andronicus @ The Glass House
    10/17 Ariel Pink & Black Lips @ Pappy & Harriets

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    I got a new laptop (Windows 8) and the volume keys on the keyboard as well as the scroll up and down keys aren't working... Which is really annoying especially having to go to the volume icon and change it manually there. How do I get them to work?
    Have you tried Google'n your make and model with your question in the search as well? There might be an "F-Function" key that is or is not toggled causing this problem. Make, model of your laptop?

Anyone else having trouble logging in to the Coachella forum via their smartphone? Goldenvoice recently updated the site so that when you want to log in to the forum, you're actually logging in to the full website experience. But, for the past week, I've barely been able to login to the site and can never get the forum to load once I am logged in. Firstly, everything on the Coachella.com domain seems to slow my phone down to a crawl--it loads much more slowly than any other website I visit. After inputting my UN and PW, the browser very slowly loads a plain blank white page. If I go "back" on my browser from that plain white page I'm taken back to the main Coachella page where I am now logged in, but if I then select the forum from all of the options on that main page, I get another blank white page and going "back" from that page does not get me into the forum, but simply loads the same blank white page. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy s3, Verizon. This happens whether on WiFi or on 4g, and happens with both the built-in browser and with Chrome and Firefox. I have no trouble accessing any other website or with logging into other forums online that appear to use the same style messageboard. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Edited to say:
    Note, if visiting coachella.com/forum, I can view the forum, but once I try to log-in, I cannot return to the forum as a logged in user.

I'm happy to report that I got my router issues sorted and the powerline adapter to wireless access point is working very nicely. I now have good wifi coverage throughout the house. Thanks, thelastgreatman, for suggesting the powerline option and thanks, vogina, for pushing me to the dd-wrt forums.

I also put a new CD/DVD drive in my PC and it's working fine. It's been a good weekend for me, techwise...

i don't know if it's windows 8.1 or my laptop, but when i am moving my finger on the mousepad from right to left or left tonight, it tabs to another window. it's really obnoxious trying to edit photos as every single time it goes to another window. is there a way to turn off this completely useless feature? thanks

i have trouble logging in too. i have to hit reply and log in that way. otherwise if i click log in it takes me to some coachella.com login page i've never seen and my credentials don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i don't know if it's windows 8.1 or my laptop, but when i am moving my finger on the mousepad from right to left or left tonight, it tabs to another window. it's really obnoxious trying to edit photos as every single time it goes to another window. is there a way to turn off this completely useless feature? thanks
    I've grown to like that feature, but only after I got used to my touchpad and stopped swiping from the outside of it accidentally, but yes you can turn it off from control panel>touchpad. it will probably be called left edge swipe. also, it only works between metro apps and the desktop and doesn't switch between apps within the destop so if you close all of your metro apps it won't bother you either.
    2012 2013 2014 2015