Thread: It's Raining #HUMBLEBRAGS

Default It's Raining #HUMBLEBRAGS

This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: It's Raining #HUMBLEBRAGS

This is bumming me out in a really fucking serious way. I just need to consume as much of what he did that made me laugh so much and remember how awesome he was.
    last.fm
    3/21/15 - Tweedy @ Theater at Ace Hotel // 3/27/15 - At The Gates (w/Converge, Pallbearer) @ Wiltern // 4/14/15 - Cloud Nothings @ Echo // 4/19/15 - Electric Wizard @ Roxy
    // 4/22/15 - Faith No More - Wiltern // 5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater //6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler

Yeah, this sucks. Just started listening to 'Analyze Phish' this week, and he was always so funny on other podcasts. Horrible loss.

Addiction fucking sucks man; sad we'll never get any more foam/phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I am angrier about this than I have been about a celebrity death in a long time. This dude was fucking funny.

#NoMoreFoam
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-19-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Yeah, it's surprising just how much of a gut punch this one is, but he was always a highlight of any Earwolf venture he was part of.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Fuck this is sad. One of my favorite comedic voices. I had no idea that he had a problem until I listened to his episode of You Made It Weird just a few months ago in which he was really candid about his addiction. I've been re-listening to Phone/foam Corner on youtube all night.

He was always really candid about his addiction problems. I think Maron made his WTF available again and he talks about it there as well. Its a real bummer. I always enjoyed seeing him pop up on Parks and Rec as the super stoned animal collection guy.

He also talks about it a lot on the second or third to last Analyze Phish pod too; it's even sadder when you read how he talked about being in a good place re: his addiction at a set he did in LA Wednesday night.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I didn't catch the WTF episode. What it a smack addiction?

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    He was always really candid about his addiction problems. I think Maron made his WTF available again and he talks about it there as well. Its a real bummer. I always enjoyed seeing him pop up on Parks and Rec as the super stoned animal collection guy.
    He had a little cameo in an episode a few weeks ago where his Animal Collection friend was squeezing his head in a vice to make eyeballs bulge out but not enough to pop out.

The band he's a part of, Don't Stop or We'll Die, has a show scheduled at UCB on the 28th - wonder if it will still go ahead? Seems like a good chance to do some kind of memorial for him.

And just because it's funny:

From what I've heard of DSOWD on CBB, the band is truly god awful, like actually painful to listen to. Them actually booking shows in clubs is more of a novelty thing where only hardcore fans of their comedy show up.

Yes, very true - I probably should have written "band," as a lot of the comedy certainly comes from them essentially yelling into the mic and just bashing away on their instruments in every song. And I didn't mean to imply they are a touring band, just to point out the fact that they were scheduled to do something at UCB that day; it wouldn't surprise me if the "gig" (i.e. their hour-long slot for the night's full program) now turns into some kind of evening-long memorial service for him.
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 02-20-2015 at 11:18 AM.

I wouldn't say they're objectively terrible, they seem fairly competent at striking the note their trying to strike. It's just one that doesn't really appeal to me at all musically or comedically. They've got a kind of like Billy Joel or 70s anthemic classic rock bar band thing that does nothing for me, but I could see how they could be enjoyed by people who are into that kind of thing. I always kind of slightly dreaded their CBB appearances though, even though some of their non-musical riffing between members could be entertaining from time to time.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Aw, I love their appearances on the podcast. Last time around when they were on, the repeating "Paul loves chemicals so much, he's like Walter White over here" bit had fucking dying.
    last.fm
    3/21/15 - Tweedy @ Theater at Ace Hotel // 3/27/15 - At The Gates (w/Converge, Pallbearer) @ Wiltern // 4/14/15 - Cloud Nothings @ Echo // 4/19/15 - Electric Wizard @ Roxy
    // 4/22/15 - Faith No More - Wiltern // 5/15-17/15 - Psycho CA @ Observatory // 5/27/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel @ Warner Grand Theater //6/3/15 - Sufjan Stevens @ Dorothy Chandler

I'm not trying to shame the band or anything, they'd probably admit they're hacks, it's just that the band is just a pure kind of awful. They're like Phish without the whimsy and talent, trying to jam on a boring and discordant riff that's ambiguously intentional (the terrible shrieking is what makes me think it could be intentional. I mean these guys have human ears, they're hearing this too)

Yeah it's bad music. People probably get a kick out of the trainwreck if anything.

Aziz wrote this really heartfelt piece about his friendship with Harris.

http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/111613105129
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

This week's CBB episode was the last Farts and Procreation episode that was recorded a few weeks ago but Aukerman until now wasn't going to release. He does a long rambling intro to that's about as emotional as I've ever heard him.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    Aziz wrote this really heartfelt piece about his friendship with Harris.

http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/111613105129
    I just lost my shit over this one

I am just at the end of Farts & Procreation 4 - it's actually very funny, and Scott's intro almost had me in tears.

And that tribute from Ansari was terrific. I really want to read Olympic-Sized Assholes.
    last.fm

That sucks. I am barely getting into parks and rec and didn't even know this happened. RIP and thanks for the laughs
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Shut it down.

What a strange coincidence for me... I had his episode of the Pete Holmes' "You Made It Weird" podcast queued up on my phone before he passed away (without realizing it), so the very next podcast I listened to after was his.

I have to say, I love Parks and Recreation, and I probably found him to be a very funny writer, but that podcast was just (emotionally) awful. He went deep into how he rejected his loved ones and co-workers attempts to rehabilitate him, his trips to multiple rehab centers (and the subsequent failure upon release), his switch from oxy to heroin, and all the degenerate ways he tried to get heroin. McArthur Park, skid row, getting robbed by dealers, etc. It was sad to listen to. Drug addiction is a bitch. Probably the worst part was at one point he mentioned writing a book and I was struck with the perverse notion that he went through so many hoops because he thought it made his story more interesting, instead of just because the addiction, which is a leap.

He went into his ex-girlfriend's attempt to push him through Scientology to clean him up and his refusal to do so, and the loss of that relationship as a result. He'd never talked to her after the day he walked out of the Scientology center... and probably maintained that until his death.

Anyhow, check it out if you're a fan. It's difficult to see this particular interview in a positive light after his death, but you should all be listening to that podcast anyhow, because it's amazing.

I listened to it yesterday.The stories he tells are insane, but from what I know of really good friends that went through addiction, not at all abnormal.
    last.fm