Hmm, let's see. Maybe something like this"
1. Yeasayer - Blue Paper (or Henrietta, can't decide)
2. Atoms for Peace - Default
3. Two Fingers - Razorback
4. GY!BE - Mladic (really the whole album)
5. Flying Lotus - All In
6. Holy Other - Tense Past
7. Frank Ocean - Lost (just a really good pop song)
8. Miike Snow - Paddling Out
9. Lindstrom - Rà-àkõ-st
10. Tame Impala - Music to Walk Home By
HM: Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built;
HM: Animal Collective - Applesauce
HM: Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (let's be honest, this is clearly the pop song of the year, if not the song of the year).
This was surprisingly difficult. I feel like I just got comfortable with stuff from 2011 . . .
You all should make mixes of your favorites songs of the year so that I can listen to them all. :)
Lost is so killer and smooth. Pyramids is fuckin' expansive and wide-reaching. Bad Religion is a completely human scream from the bottom of a wounded soul. I want to listen to that album for the 50-somthingth time.
I agree, it's a great transition.
Anything We Want - Fiona Apple
Half-Gate - Grizzly Bear
Pyramids - Frank Ocean
Mercy - Kanye West,Big Sean,Pusha T.,2 Chainz
Fuck It None of Y'all Don't Rap - Evian Christ
Pop That - French Montana,Rick Ross,Drake,Lil Wayne
Hacker - Death Grips
Counting - Autre Ne veut
Adorn - Miguel
Cos Ber Zam - Ne Noya(Daphni Mix)
Hot Chip - "Flutes" (Sasha Remix)
1. Neil Young - Ramada Inn
2. Alabama Shakes - You Ain't Alone
3. Tame Impala - Feel's Like We Only Go Backwards
4. Wild Belle - Keep you
5. Phèdre - In Decay
6. Fiona Apple - Left Alone
7. Cate Le Bon - The Eiggy Sea
8. Darondo - Question Mark (this was written in the 70's and released at the end of 2011, but fuck it, whats another couple months for a song written 40 years ago)
9. Leonard Cohen - Amen
10. Simian Mobile Disco - Everyday
Honorable Mentions -
The Raveonettes - She Own's The Streets
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Baby
Alt J - Fitzpleasure
Gary Clark - Ain't Messin Around
Dinosaur Jr. - Watch The Corners
Norah Jones - Say Goodbye
1. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
2. Metz - Headache
3. The Men - Animal
4. Orbital - New France
5. Kendrick lamar - Swimming Pools
6. GYBE!!! - Mladiac
7. Cloud Nothings - Stay Useless
8. Animal Collective - Father Time
9.Purity Ring - Grandloves
10. Carly Rae Jaspen - Call me maybe (cmon you know you love it).
listened to the first three gilster songs and thank god I cancelled my eMusic account last year
I'm having a hard time making my list, because I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't have Juicy J and/or French Montana on my top 10. But I kinda can't not.
Looking forward to going through your lists when I get some more free time. You guys have already reminded me of a few gems I'd forgotten. Perhaps this year wasn't as dismal as I thought.
This year was much better for music than last year, at least for my taste.
Alright. Giving it a shot. I really wanted to have something harder on this list, but the new A Place to Bury Strangers album was so disappointing. Embedding ones which haven't been mentioned:
10. Scissor Sisters - "Let's Have a Kiki"
09. Blur - "Under The Westway"
08. Madonna - "I'm Addicted"
07. Beach House - "Lazuli"
06. Night Beds - "Even if We Try"
05. Fiona Apple - "Anything We Want"
04. iamamiwhoami - "Kill"
03. Martha Wainwright - "Proserpina"
02. Alt-J - "Taro"
01. Frank Ocean - "Bad Religion"
It's a good song, I guess I just prefer the work from their first two albums.
I'll come back and edit this but for now:
Todd Terje - Inspector Norse
Recondite - Felicity
Peaking Lights - Beautiful Son
Disclosure - What's In Your Head
Terry Malts - I'm Neurotic/Naseous (the two songs into each other is the best)
Woods - Is It Honest?
Tomas Barford - Beach Party
Locked Groove - Rooted
COS announced their band of the year http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/1...the-year-2012/ Death Grips! They have to be on someone's list....what was their best song they released this year?!
I put "Hacker" in my list. "Artificial Death in The West" was amazing too. Such good album closers. "World of Dogs" too.
I'M IN YOUR AREA
Time put Can in their top 10 songs of the year. Fuckin' a.