PDA

View Full Version : Off-Site Camping (I don't need no stinkin' campground!)

jessehattabaugh
04-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey you intrepid campers. My gf and I have our 3 day passes, but we didn't get camping passes, or hotel reservations. Neither of us has really been so we don't much know what to expect, but we've heard that the on-site camping is awful. Flood lights on all night long for insurance liability reasons, too loud to sleep, etc etc. We're minimalist campers, so we don't need any facilities, but it would be nice to find a piece of ground that nobody would mind us sleeping on, and maybe a handful of good folks to sit around a campfire and smoke a bowl with. Does anyone know of any unofficial off-site spots that we could drive a few tent stakes in? Are off-site campers commonly seen, or do the police crack down on them pretty hard? Do the local landowners pitch a fit if you go on their land? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

bot73
04-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Depends on how off-site you want to get... There's tons of BLM land around, but you ain't gonna be walking from the Polo Grounds to any of it.

sk8r408
04-15-2007, 08:20 AM
I've heard the police crack down really hard on this. a couple years ago I didn't have a spot, so we drove down to the Salton Sea. There's always plenty of room there, and we didn't even pay anything. The only downside was that it was 45 minutes away.

tiffdud41
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
ebay some camping tix--it isn't bad.

tiffdud41
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
ps you'll get to shower

sk8r408
04-15-2007, 09:15 AM
PS onsite camping sucks like you said.

driguez
04-16-2007, 06:58 AM
man let me know if you find something, otherwise i'm ducking it in the bushes somewhere.

snakes yum!

melodyrandol
04-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Hi,

My brother and I have a two bedroom condo in Palm Desert close to the festival. It also has a pull out couch. All our friends bailed out last min and we got stuck with a big tab and are pretty desperate to rent the one room or the pullout at a low low cost! shoot me a message! 24 and 27, have been to the festival before, chill people

A-Arce3112
04-13-2017, 04:06 PM
@jessehattabaugh (is that how you address specific people here? :/)I've been 5 times– I camped onsite every single year (we got better at doing it each time but that requires a lot of stuff to make it comfortable) except for the last time I went. It's dirty, loud (people stop partying like at 4am and are up again by 6am/7am playing their EDM loud as hell, not to mention all the DJ's and parties on the grounds). The bathrooms and showers have long lines (it's best to go during sets when it's empty), it's crazy hot so your ice in the coolers melts fast and you have to shuttle to the Ralph's because you can't drive off once you've driven to your camp site, and the prices for food and drinks onsite are stupid expensive (like $7 for a slice of pizza), and if you forget some essentials they try to rape you on those prices as well.

Last year my friend and I parked in the parking lot of a strip mall (the one with 99¢ store, IHOP, and Jack in the Box) and slept in the car. It's been the best experience so far since you can run into the store and grab drinks or groceries for regular prices and go into the jack or IHOP to brush your teeth, wash your face, and use the bathroom and hang out wherever you want that's air conditioned without a ton of people around. It's only about 1 mile from the grounds and parking is free so it's easy to get there and back. A lot of people who were meeting friends for camping left their cars parked there for the weekend, and there were other people also staying in their cars around us but was pretty private and no one bothered us at all.

Coming from a semi-high-maintenance girl.

A-Arce3112
04-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Also, if you go on the Coachella thread on Reddit there are still some people who will let you join in on their campsites for El Dorado and other campsites. Check there– it seems everyone on there who's looking for a camping place to stay is having some luck.