PDA

View Full Version : The Lineup is Great, But Who Could've made it Even Better?!

TeaJay
02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Every year, Coachella comes through with an amazing lineup that makes me happier than a kid on christmas, at disneyland, with a lollipop, on pirates of the carri.........you get the point. And every year before the lineup comes out, me and my friends make predictions, that we always say we're going to make a fake line-up with, (but that never happens). Of course I am quite satisfied with the lineup and a bunch of our predictions were right but there's always a couple artists I am a bit shocked to not see there or at least really wanted to be there. Some of the artists I'm shocked aren't there aren't necessarily ones I wanted to see that bad but had a lot of hype and such. So I'm curious to see who you guys were surprised to not see there or really wish were there. I even invite you to make a list of people you are glad didn't show up. I'm guessing coldplay and no doubt will be on a few of those. Here are a few of my picks. I'm excited to see yours.
Surprised Not To See There
Fleet Foxes
Wilco
Death Cab For Cutie
Lykke Li
The Mars Volta
James Blake
Friendly Fires
Washed Out
Com Truise
Battles
Zola jesus
Kurt Vile
My Morning Jacket
Panda Bear
Fucked Up
The Antlers
Little Dragon
The War On Drugs
Wish Were There
RHCP
Jamie Cullum
Bombay Bicycle Club
Active child
Clock Opera
Ben Howard
Young The Giant
Enter Shikari
The New Division
Silversun Pickups
The Naked and Famous
Memory Tapes
Baths
Star Slinger
Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs
Patrick Wolf
Young Buffalo
Future islands
Lucy Rose
A Basement Rendezvous
The List could go on!
Bands I Want To Be There, That Never Will Be
Incubus!!!!!
Brand New

ghostpunk
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
nice list, bro. A +

GuyInTucson
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
COOL FUCKING THREAD BRO!

brogore
02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I approve of this list!

10/10

grichsgang
02-28-2012, 10:32 PM
My choices would be Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Seriously, though

Suprised not there:
Your list covers it.

Wish were here:
Twerps
Tapes N Tapes
Tennis

Never will be but wish were:
R.E.M.
White Stripes
Rolling Stones
Replacements

Glad not here:
Lady Gaga

nathanfairchild
02-28-2012, 10:50 PM
My choices would be Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Seriously, though

Suprised not there:
Your list covers it.

Wish were here:
Twerps
Tapes N Tapes
Tennis

Never will be but wish were:
R.E.M.
White Stripes
Rolling Stones
Replacements

Glad not here:
Lady Gaga

both of those have coachella reunion written all over them.

Goatchella
02-28-2012, 11:34 PM
This thread is proof that there are too many bands on the same level.

Will there ever be another band that shocks people and makes fans faint, scream, cry the way that the Beatles, Elvis or MJ did? Will there ever be another guitar player as talenteD and innovative as Hendrix? Music has changed so much.

The environment, era and listener effect the excitement and energy of an artist. There are so many peoPle in this world now. So much technology to make recording, publishing, sharing,production,promotion so quick and disposable. There are so many variables that could effect an artists influence over people, so many more distractions and gimmicks these days. It might seem like music as a whole might be losing its magic.
Music has taken a turn for the better in the last decade IMO. This recession, our crooked gov , revolutions all over the world and tough times for many peoPle will bring out more artistic expression and a generation of music lovers that will come together to create another huge band or artist. Whoever booked these bands and/or whatever the circumstances that brought us to this line up, they didn't do too bad considering how many fucking bands, Djs, artists, gimmicks there are. There's a lot of barn yard fans these days. Different strokes Yadda Yadda...

There are really so many great bands on the line up. Great gimmicks too. We're gonna lose it this year people.

Get excited. Be about it! Fucking Radiohead(The Beatles)! Snoop a loop(Elvis)! Omar(Hendrix)! Swedish House Mafia(Milli Vinilli)!

Make some fuckin noise!!!!

It's obvious Sonicc is young and isn't a roll tard. He is happy about music and ready to party!

waltermakesmusic
02-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Outkast
Eiffel 65
The Transplants
Meg And Dia
The Blood Brothers
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
DropxLife
Earl Sweatshirt
Empire of the Sun
Friendly Fires
Haddaway
Jason Mraz
Kill The Noize
Knife Party
Major Lazer
Rebelution
RX Bandits
StunnaMan
Hieroglyphics
The Toxic Avenger

SeantheJeweler
02-29-2012, 12:08 AM
MiMoSa - saw him play an awesome set in Lake Powell AZ, stage on the beach at sunset it was sick!

baily
02-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Your Mom

Whittick
02-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Suprised:

Skrillex
Death Cab
Bjork

Wish:

Motörhead
Daft Punk
MGMT
Garbage
Bush
Blur
Jimmy Eat World
Massive Attack

KickerConspiracy
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Surprised:

Jack White
Ting-Tings

Wish:

White Stripes
Tom Waits

TeaJay
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM

Will there ever be another band that shocks people and makes fans faint, scream, cry the way that the Beatles, Elvis or MJ did? Will there ever be another guitar player as talenteD and innovative as Hendrix? Music has changed so much.

The environment, era and listener effect the excitement and energy of an artist. There are so many peoPle in this world now. So much technology to make recording, publishing, sharing,production,promotion so quick and disposable. There are so many variables that could effect an artists influence over people, so many more distractions and gimmicks these days. It might seem like music as a whole might be losing its magic.
Music has taken a turn for the better in the last decade IMO. This recession, our crooked gov , revolutions all over the world and tough times for many peoPle will bring out more artistic expression and a generation of music lovers that will come together to create another huge band or artist. Whoever booked these bands and/or whatever the circumstances that brought us to this line up, they didn't do too bad considering how many fucking bands, Djs, artists, gimmicks there are. There's a lot of barn yard fans these days. Different strokes Yadda Yadda...

There are really so many great bands on the line up. Great gimmicks too. We're gonna lose it this year people.

Get excited. Be about it! Fucking Radiohead(The Beatles)! Snoop a loop(Elvis)! Omar(Hendrix)! Swedish House Mafia(Milli Vinilli)!

It's obvious Sonicc is young and isn't a roll tard. He is happy about music and ready to party!

I guess I came off wrong. I actually am really excited about the lineup. I lost my shit when I saw it. As I do every year with coachella! I was just curious to see other peoples' opinions. And as much as I love classic rock and I think that era of music is legendary, I think music is as good now as it's ever been. So many people think it's shit because they're only judging by what they see on TV or hear on the radio but when you really hunt for good music, with the few exceptions of great artists actually getting recognition these days, you can find some amazing stuff. I agree, people need to stop wishing things were like the old days and embrace the now. I believe there can be artists who will live up to the standards of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc. as long as people open their minds and let it happen. A recent quote from Sir Paul McCartney in Rolling Stone said, "You get the argument 'Make way for the young kids,' and you think 'Fuck that, let them make way for themselves. If they're better than me, they'll beat me.'"

MoSetsfire
02-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Kanye West

Jrtho73
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
"You get the argument 'Make way for the young kids,' and you think 'Fuck that, let them make way for themselves. If they're better than me, they'll beat me.'"

This

JiggyVdub
02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
COOL FUCKING THREAD BRO!
Chill man haha

Surprised not there:
Fleet Foxes
Pretty Lights
Das Racist
Panda Bear
Little Dragon

Wish they get there next year:
Arcade Fire(They should play every year:)
Big Gigantic
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
Flobots!
Slaughterhouse
Rusko
Rebelution
Pendulum
Porcupine Tree!!
Benzi
Iration

Really Really wish they were there:
Flight of the Concords

frizzlefry
02-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Primus. It was Claypool's first year in 2010 and they have their first studio album in years come out last September...what the fuck?

tchuess
02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
somewhat surprised not to see at least one of the following:
TV on the radio
Filter
Smashing Pumpkins
Thomas Dolby
Roger Waters
Coldplay
Gary Numan
RHCP
Foster the People
Puscifer
Jack White (solo)
Perry Farrell in some form.

wish was there:
Jamiroquai
Pink Floyd
TV on the Radio
Kidneythieves
Fever Ray
Jane's Addiction
Collide
How to Destroy Angels
A Perfect Circle

Genowarp
02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
why would incubus never play coachella? i saw brandon boyd walking around the fields a few years ago.. looked all 'chellad out

ialvarado2
03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
The Roots!

TeaJay
03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
why would incubus never play coachella? i saw brandon boyd walking around the fields a few years ago.. looked all 'chellad out

Lookin all "'chellad out" haha. Nice. Well idk, so many people talk shit about them. I happen to think they're one of the best bands of our generation but I mean, everyone has their own opinions I guess. Some of them are justified and some of them are just hipstomatic. I've seen hundreds of artists live, pushing over a grand soon, and they are still one of the best live acts I have ever seen. This year should've been the year.

whostorm05
03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Beck. I'll see him @ Sasquatch! though. Who knows how much more he has in the tank.

TeaJay
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
After listening to the new Punch Brothers album, I'm gonna have to say I wish they were there too. You should all check it out.

GuyInTucson
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Most people don't see them as a Coachella "fit" but I am not even sure that makes sense anymore. I am not a big Incubus fan, but I can certainly think of dozens of worse late-90's / early-2000's rock bands that would be worse choices.

Ferris Wheeler
03-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Shabazz Palaces with TheeSatisfaction

I'mOleGreg
03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Been waiting 5 years to see OUTKAST at Coachella... They would have put the icing on the cake this year playing on Sunday before Dre and Snoop.. Also, I have never seen Daft Punk or The Chemical Brothers live, but I hear they are ahead of the curve... So GIVE THEM TO US NEXT YEAR!!

TeaJay
03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Been waiting 5 years to see OUTKAST at Coachella... They would have put the icing on the cake this year playing on Sunday before Dre and Snoop.. Also, I have never seen Daft Punk or The Chemical Brothers live, but I hear they are ahead of the curve... So GIVE THEM TO US NEXT YEAR!!
Since the Chemical Brothers have played more times at Coachella than any other artist,(At least I think so, 6 times? now being followed by the black keys at 5), I'm sure they'll be back until they break up and than reunite and finally become a headliner. Daft Punk on the other hand, I keep hearing rumors that 1 of the guys is going deaf and he has a kid so life is hitting him pretty hard right now and I wouldn't get your hopes up about it. I think if Dat Punk was going to be there, it would've been last year. As for Outkast, I would definitely say that is a possibility.

witham
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Above & Beyond or anything else listed below.

thedevious
03-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Daft Punk on the other hand, I keep hearing rumors that 1 of the guys is going deaf and he has a kid so life is hitting him pretty hard right now and I wouldn't get your hopes up about it. I think if Dat Punk was going to be there, it would've been last year. As for Outkast, I would definitely say that is a possibility.

Bangalter isn't going deaf, he had a case of tinnitus years ago which he has since cleared. Having a kid should actually be a reason to have hope for more live shows, gotta pay into that Sorbonne fund.

Although I personally hold them in very high regard and simply refuse at this point in my life to argue it, I believe Ween is a Coachella worthy act that we will never see on the polo fields due to the unfortunate jamband stigma.

katieshape
03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Sounds pretty spot on. I think I'll just add one to the Wish Were There list.

Dead Sara (http://youped.com/explore/1239-weatherman-dead-sara-video/)

vfcali
03-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Surprised they're not, but wish they were:
Young the Giant
Washed Out
Alabama Shakes
The Antlers
Matthew Dear

Wish they were, but not big enough YET:
The Soft White Sixties (http://youtu.be/jc9QgnRGqFU)
Porcelain Raft
New Look
Mona
Painted Palms
Starfucker
Bhi Bhiman
Elegant Animals
Generationals
Vacationer

Reunion/Revival Wish List:
Billy Idol
The Cars
Sound Team

GeoffreyB
03-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Surprised
James Blake
Washed Out
Alabama Shakes
STRFKR
The Avalanches
Knife Party..

thedevious
03-28-2012, 04:38 AM
New order are confirmed for Sonar now as well as Bestival....oh FUCKIN WELL!

pachucasunrise
03-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Genuinely surprised James Blake won't be here there this year. But the one set that would make this whole thing perfect for me would be The Dismemberment Plan...

Doses_On_Sunday#K.C.
04-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Outkast
Eiffel 65
The Transplants
Meg And Dia
The Blood Brothers
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
DropxLife
Earl Sweatshirt
Empire of the Sun
Friendly Fires