PDA

View Full Version : The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

zachyd
01-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Felt the need to create a legitimate Black Keys thread for this year. The other one is just a complaint thread, and there are some of us who are still very excited for this set. I even saw them twice last year, but the new album has me really pumped for their set. Its really hard for me to ever complain about seeing the Keys. So everyone who shares this excitement should come into this thread!

5Ure7hBl2RQ

A1w34ti0Wu0

Fig Neutron
01-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't mind if they played every year. Last year's set was great and I can't wait to hear the new material live.

travelfan
01-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I initially was pissed because it is so, so, so lazy, but given that a) I only caught two songs last year, and just barely, b) I have yet to see them live in full, and c) I love everything they've done, from Thickfreakness to El Camino, I am now incredibly excited. I'll definitely be there.

zachyd
01-29-2012, 09:49 AM
I initially was pissed because it is so, so, so lazy, but given that a) I only caught two songs last year, and just barely, b) I have yet to see them live in full, and c) I love everything they've done, from Thickfreakness to El Camino, I am now incredibly excited. I'll definitely be there.

Yeah I was kind of bummed out by the laziness of the choice, but in the end they still are an incredible act, both in studio and live, and they have released an awesome new album since last year so I'll let it slide...

travelfan
01-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah I was kind of bummed out by the laziness of the choice, but in the end they still are an incredible act, both in studio and live, and they have released an awesome new album since last year so I'll let it slide...

Same. After the initial disappointment, I realized how stupid I was for sulking given that I love them. The only thing this year that is kind of weird is that I am easily going to see at least half (if not the full set) of all three headlining sets. This worries me a bit, I hate devoting that much time to one stage when there are going to be so many other choice sets running during the headliners. I generally like to skip one, watch one full, and then watch a portion or skip the third. This year I could easily see myself watching full sets from all three. First world problems.

zachyd
01-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Same. After the initial disappointment, I realized how stupid I was for sulking given that I love them. The only thing this year that is kind of weird is that I am easily going to see at least half (if not the full set) of all three headlining sets. This worries me a bit, I hate devoting that much time to one stage when there are going to be so many other choice sets running during the headliners. I generally like to skip one, watch one full, and then watch a portion or skip the third. This year I could easily see myself watching full sets from all three. First world problems.

I plan on catching the full Black Keys set, and definitely the full Radiohead set, but probably only a song or two of Dre/Snoop. Not a huge fan of rap or hip hop. But yeah the only year I saw all three headliners was 2010. Last year I only caught all of Arcade Fire and The Strokes, but saw a song of the other two.

concertgoer
01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
The current setlists look good and they are playing longer sets
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-black-keys/2012/le-zenith-paris-france-53d14bb1.html

zachyd
01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
I imagine we will get a set something like that. They'll probably play the full set too since thats still only like 90 minutes.

ods..
01-29-2012, 10:51 AM
The current setlists look good and they are playing longer sets
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-black-keys/2012/le-zenith-paris-france-53d14bb1.html

FUCK that. That setlist blows. Goddamnit. I wish they would play more than 1 song from their 3 best albums... Seriously, that is so disappointing.

sonofhal
01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Should I direct my complaints to this thread now then?

ivopa
01-29-2012, 09:47 PM
last year i choose the kills at the outdoor......i hope this year i wont have a confllict but i can see pulp or james closing the outdoor and that would be a difficult choice again even if black keys is one of my must sees this year

aaronbk
01-29-2012, 10:39 PM
The kills didnt play during the black keys. I know this because i saw both sets. and keys...headliners=:poo

im so indie
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
From that setlist: El Camino-8, Brothers-6, Attack&Release-3, Magic Potion-1, Rubber Factory-1, Thickfreakness-1, The Big Come Up-1 (+ "Chop and Change").

I'm cool with hearing lots of the new stuff because I've seen em so many times, but I wish they'd play some old songs that they don't usually play live. "Aeroplane Blues" or "Black Door" would kill. Or slow it down a bit with "The Lengths" or "I Cry Alone". Something special. Something headliner-worthy.

If they play this setlist, it would be fun, but not memorable.

Neighborhood Creep
01-30-2012, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't mind if they played every year. Last year's set was great and I can't wait to hear the new material live.

Same but I dont like that theyre headlining

Phantasma Del Mar
01-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Lazy booking but I love the new album so I might check them out for a bit.

bluemamba
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Pulp>The Black Keys

grichsgang
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
I was a bit surprised to see them on the bill but it's a quantum leap from anywhere on the page to headliner. You get to play a full tour type set and it's your stage. Bottom line, this is a great band, playing a full tour set, hot in the middle of their prime. A can't miss for me.

DFrank
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Pulp>The Black Keys

I want to shit on other threads like common people blah blah

That setlist looks packed although its mostly El Camino/Brothers now. I didnt catch them at all last year so im hoping to see most of their set

GuyInTucson
01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Pulp>The Black Keys

Not a good comparison at all.

Mr. Dylanja
01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
I understand they want to play the newer, but I'm not a fan of that setlist either. Are they not playing "Stop Stop" at all? That's my favorite from El Camino. Also, they need to bust out "Black Mud."

grichsgang
01-30-2012, 03:27 PM
I understand they want to play the newer, but I'm not a fan of that setlist either. Are they not playing "Stop Stop" at all? That's my favorite from El Camino. Also, they need to bust out "Black Mud."

Hey, in 30 years, when their reunion tour rolls through Facebook Arena in L.A., we're gonna be clamoring for stuff from these last three albums, not the crappy reunion album they put out in 2040. Enjoy the moment.

brycerosen
01-30-2012, 03:31 PM
really stoked for black keys even though ive seen them so many times recently, kind of like the flying lotus of rock, more=better

really hope they dont conflict with amon tobin though :/

Inthecolumbiagorge
01-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I could not be happier that The Black Keys are playing again this year, unexpected but supremely happy! Have only seem them once at last years Coachella where I caught the full set but I am excited to hear a long full set from them again this year regardless of what they play. For me there are no bad songs from them. They are playing in Portland this year but at the Rose Garden which in my mind is an extremely shitty place to see a concert, especially someone as good as the Keys! No complaints from me:-)

Mr. Dylanja
01-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey, in 30 years, when their reunion tour rolls through Facebook Arena in L.A., we're gonna be clamoring for stuff from these last three albums, not the crappy reunion album they put out in 2040. Enjoy the moment.

I'm looking forward to the recent stuff, I think all of El Camino will translate great live. I'm just bummed that they're not playing two of my favorites off of those respective albums. I also wish they would mix up the older songs. In my opinion "Thickfreakness" and "I Got Mine" are the only two "must haves" in every set.

Zippy024
01-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Saw them last year at Bonnaroo and I watched their Coachella '11 performance on the webcast, but I'm still looking forward to seeing them this year. I love El Camino.

grichsgang
01-30-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm looking forward to the recent stuff, I think all of El Camino will translate great live. I'm just bummed that they're not playing two of my favorites off of those respective albums. I also wish they would mix up the older songs. In my opinion "Thickfreakness" and "I Got Mine" are the only two "must haves" in every set.

Hey, I'll give you those two if I get Strange Times and Gold on the Ceiling. Lonely Boy should be an opener, imo. They'd hook the crowd from the beginning and everything else would be gravey.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Picked them over Cut Copy last year and am still kicking myself, especially now knowing that they are back this year. Their set last year didn't live up to my expectations. But digging the new album, they were great from what I watched of their KROQ accoustic Christmas set, so barring any major conflicts.... I will be giving my fellow Ohioans a shot at redemption at least one of the 2 Coachella weekends.

unit300021
01-31-2012, 05:01 PM

This, but also throw in Unknown Brother with Black Mud. Is anyone else also disappointed that they are no longer opening up with Thickfreakness anymore?

isnate
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Is anyone else also disappointed that they are no longer opening up with Thickfreakness anymore?

YES. I'm afraid any other opening song will be lame by comparison.

That70sdesperado
01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Bummed they haven't been playing "Set You Free" recently. I know they used to a lot. That's my favorite song.

isnate
01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
I know they won't play it, but "You're the One" would be killer.

bluemamba
02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Not a good comparison at all.

Im not comparing their music. I just feel Coachella should've made Pulp the headliner instead of a repeat in Black Keys.

jokerfit
02-10-2012, 01:11 PM
All they need is the Colbert Bump and they'll be headline worthy for this year.

GuyInTucson
02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Im not comparing their music. I just feel Coachella should've made Pulp the headliner instead of a repeat in Black Keys.

I like Pulp, but no. There is no way to justify doing that at this point in time.

Fig Neutron
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Black Keys 2012 Average Setlist on Spotify (http://open.spotify.com/user/01sundevil/playlist/0uh2vAZTC4QAc5TAOkfcG3)

Nealocus
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM

No. In the states The Black Keys are way more of a sell than Pulp. I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw Pulp I had not listened to a ton of their music and was glad the Keys were slated above them. Granted after listening to the majority of their albums Pulp is for sure a worthy headliner; just not during their reunion tour and not at Coachella.

Van Danks
02-29-2012, 01:42 AM
The black keys were amazing last year, and the new album is so good its perfect timing - and i think they deserve the headline spot at Chella this year.

Iamwelting
02-29-2012, 05:52 AM
I don't get all the hate for these guys on the board. Sure, it's kind of lazy on GV's part to book them consecutive years and bump them up to a headliner. But when it comes down to it they're great performers in the prime of their careers playing ballsy American rock, and with a whole new (awesome) album's worth of material to play since last year . Who would people have rather be the headliners? Black Sabbath? Coldplay? Please.

MidnightSIX
02-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Is anyone else also disappointed that they are no longer opening up with Thickfreakness anymore?

WTF?? i dont want to live in this world anymore D:

aguadulce
02-29-2012, 09:06 PM

How would Pulp possibly be the headliner ? Virtually no one in America knows them. There were
lots of people saying Pavement should have headlined also and there were like 10 people watching
them. And both Pulp and Pavement are brilliant bands, but not headliners. Black Keys are huge
right now - they get played constantly on many different LA radio stations.

ocbruin84
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
FYI according to Wikipedia check out the running lengths of Night 1 and Night 2's headliners' most recent albums:

The Black Keys' El Camino: 37:42
Radiohead's The King of Limbs: 37:24

SepaGroove
04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Sooo pumped for The Black Keys. The new album is great from start to finish so I can't wait to see how those tracks translate live.

SmellyBath
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Whether you love it or hate it The Black Keys won't close the main stage. For better or worse we will get a dose similar to Chem Bros closing it last year and Swedish House Mafia will do the honors.

Fig Neutron
06-19-2012, 07:26 PM
y'all just see the Keys on Workaholics? Sweet ponytails

GeoffreyB
09-20-2012, 01:38 AM
playing a Private Show..... http://www.987fm.com/common/sharemylink/?c=2&u=707