PDA

View Full Version : Who is/isn't good live

edbangme
03-19-2010, 08:23 PM
There is probably something like this already but I don't see it sooooo....
if you have seen someone live and think they are good or not put it down.

Tiesto- (2) ok
Benny Benassi- (2) solid entertaining sets
Phoenix- very good set!

bdfsh
03-19-2010, 08:27 PM
GOOD FUCKING IDEA.

sorry i have nothing to contribute.

BUT, i am wondering how portugal the man is live... anybody know?

edbangme
03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
I have heard they are really good live but I haven't seen them personally...

matsuolost
03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Bowerbirds are good

megatron26
03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
I've heard mixed things about passion pit live

edbangme
03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
ugh not big on passion pit but im seeing them next week at ultra fest, ill let you know...

matsuolost
03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
they were good at bonnaroo but who the fuck cares about them in 2010?

edbangme
03-19-2010, 08:42 PM
yeah im not really big on their music

guest-1185
03-19-2010, 08:59 PM
The Big Pink
I caught the Big Pink just last Friday and they were awful, terrible even. Put it to you this way: It was a sold out show and at least a quarter of the audience left during their headline set. Granted, A Place To Bury Strangers opened for them but still. There's good live music and there's bad live music. The Big Pink were just painful for much of that night. That was my first time seeing them so it might have been a horribly off night but suffice it to say I won't be going out of my way or paying to see them again anytime soon, or ever.

Fever Ray
They do a good job recreating their sound on album in a live setting and their production adds a lot to the subtly heavy atmosphere the music already creates. It's an extremely well done and unique musical experience that's definitely worth your time if you've got any inkling interest.

Orbital
Their music really comes alive in the live setting. Hearing it on a Sahara-esque sound system is like hearing the songs for the first time all over again. In terms of live performance they're on par with Underworld for me. Excellent live electronic music.

Passion Pit
A festival set last summer was fun. Not spectacular but the hits were great and the rest was solid enough.

Gossip
Phenomenal. I've seen them twice and both times were brilliant. I defy you to remain stagnant during this set, they simply won't allow it. Dance party to the max. They lean heavily on Music For Men these days which is a great thing, imo.

pachucasunrise
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
All based on personal experience:

Good: Vampire Weekend, Muse, deadmau5, Deerhunter, RX Bandits
On/off days: Coheed & Cambria, Passion Pit, Mew
Bad: MGMT, Street Sweeper Social Club

shotglass75
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Miike Snow anyone? What have you heard?

edbangme
03-19-2010, 09:07 PM
i'm so mad that MGMT is bad live I really like their music

edbangme
03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Miike Snow, all I heard is his set at SXSW with Uffie was great...

Krash_Kronic
The Big Pink
I caught the Big Pink just last Friday and they were awful, terrible even. Put it to you this way: It was a sold out show and at least a quarter of the audience left during their headline set. Granted, A Place To Bury Strangers opened for them but still. There's good live music and there's bad live music. The Big Pink were just painful for much of that night. That was my first time seeing them so it might have been a horribly off night but suffice it to say I won't be going out of my way or paying to see them again anytime soon, or ever.

just saw them in portland a few nights ago and i was bored for most of their set. I went to see A Place to Bury Strangers and they were fantastic

aguadulce
The Avett Brothers - VERY good live shows.
Old Crow Medicine Show - seen them 5 or 6 times. FANTASTIC show.
Devo - always fun.
Spoon - so so live shows.

bluemamba
03-19-2010, 09:12 PM
The Dead Weather-- Rip shit up live. You will shit when JW picks up his guitar for Will There Be Enough Water?. Good energy. Allison will give you a boner (unless if you like men, then Jack will give you one).

matsuolost
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
ok, live, i can vouch for these being excellent:
dirty projectors
phoenix
pretty lights
kaskade
babasónicos
hockey

good:
white rabbits
matt and kim
grizzly bear
echo and the bunnymen

where good 3-4 years a go but i wouldnt see them now:
hot chip
lcd soundsystem
mgmt
spoon
whitest boy alive
erol alkan

and passion pit has already been covered

edbangme
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
jack white is hot...

edbangme
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
im really stoked for Matt and Kim : )

Distorted_Jungle
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM

erol alkan

Saw him in 09 and he fuckin killed it, when's the last time you saw him?

bdfsh
03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
mgmt

3-4 years ago?

matsuolost
03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
jan 2006 (mgmt)

unknown
03-19-2010, 09:42 PM

I saw them late last year at Belly Up in Encinitas and they were fucking GOOD. At the time I enjoyed their album but their show just completely exceeded my expectations.

Other goods I've caught recently: Fever Ray, Grizzly Bear, Deerhunter, The Dead Weather.

Shame about all the negative reviews on The Big Pink. I love their album and was planning to catch them at Coachella. Not so much now.

matsuolost
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Saw him in 09 and he fuckin killed it, when's the last time you saw him?

sure, if you like unlistenable electro he may be your thing but personally i dont think he's good. (saw him in ireland back in 07)

edbangme
03-19-2010, 09:51 PM
was maybe gunna check out dead weather and definitely check out MGMT now im definitely checking out dead weather and maybe checking out MGMT

guest-1185
03-19-2010, 10:01 PM

They were ok at a festival last summer. If anything a little underwhelming. Just not very captivating.

unknown
03-19-2010, 10:04 PM
was maybe gunna check out dead weather and definitely check out MGMT now im definitely checking out dead weather and maybe checking out MGMT

I say if you enjoy The Dead Weather's album then you should try to catch them. I saw them at Street Scene last year, lucky enough to be front and center, and they did NOT disappoint at all.

I can't really say much about MGMT live. I caught a partial set at Street Scene a couple years back and I really blame the crowd more for the shitty show since everyone was yapping and I could barely hear the music.

edbangme
03-19-2010, 10:08 PM
yeah I like both their stuff but I tend to lean towards the more electronic act (just preference) but I have not heard that many great hings about MGMT live performances but I have heard a lot of very good things about The Dead Weather,,,

TomAz
03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
You lean toward drooling on your shirt. Just preference.

citizenerased
03-19-2010, 11:10 PM
From who I've seen...
Awesome
Muse
Grizzly Bear
Rx Bandits

Good
Portugal. The Man
Yo La Tengo

tessalasset
03-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Of bands I've seen live:

Friday:

Great: LCD Soundsystem, Fever Ray, The Avett Brothers,
Good: deadmau5, She & Him,
OK: Vampire Weekend, Ra Ra Riot,
Bad:

wow i thought i had seen way more of those bands live.

Saturday:

Great: Muse, Hot Chip, Z-Trip, Sia,
Good: Tiesto, The xx, Camera Obscura, RX Bandits, Steel Train,
OK: Coheed & Cambria,
Bad: MGMT, Tokyo Police Club,

Sunday:

Great: Spoon, The Big Pink,
Good: Phoenix, Deerhunter, Yann Tiersen, Local Natives,
OK:
Bad:

Wow it's really interesting to separate it like that. I didn't realize how few bands I had actually seen on the lineup. I've listened to some of these acts so much I just assumed I had seen them already.

I had such a different opinion of Big Pink from boarderwoozel. I saw them four months ago I think at their first LA gig and they were really good. I was kind of blown away by how good they sounded. I haven't heard their new stuff and I didn't go to their show here a couple weeks ago so maybe they're just tired out by now. I think they've been on tour pretty constantly since last year.

mr.mugatu
03-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Of the bands/DJ's I have seen...

IS
Dead Weather - Rocked ACL b4 Pearl Jam
Spoon - I'm bias but I have never been bummed
Muse - Crazy production setups
Dirty Projectors - Great at ACL
Bassnectar - Awesome at ACL
Hot Chip - Funnn
Phoenix - more funnn

ISN'T
Vampire Wreckend - pretentious boringness
Passion Pit - 2 songs were good
MGMT - flat sound, made me sad
Mutemath - Noisy mess
Yeasayer - but I like the new album...
Them Crooked Old Dudes who wanna keep rockin in the free world, made me wish this was China...

LOOKING FORWARD TO...
Deadmau5
Pretty Lights
White Rabbits
Grizzly Bear
Club 75
Thom Yorke
Gorillaz
Julian Casablancas
2manyDj's

Wanna see but afraid they MAY be bad
The XX
Edward Sharp and those other musicians
David Guetta
Beach House

Natelevmofuggaz
03-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Grizzly Bear
Flying Lotus
Pretty Lights
Deerhunter

^ All truly amazing live.

indietron
03-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Anyone know how Florence and the Machine is live? I am really digging their album, but have no clue how they are in a live setting.

indietron
03-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Of the artists on the lineup that I have seen:

Great: LCD Soundsystem, Vampire Weekend, Grizzly Bear, Fever Ray, Avett Bros., Hot Chip, 2ManyDJ's, Ed Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros's, Thom Yorke, Phoenix

Good: MGMT, Sia, Spoon, Yann Tiersen

OK: Deadmau5, The Cribs, Tokyo Police Club

Bad: Passion Pit

tessalasset
03-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Bradley, I had tickets to her show at the Troubadour in October but sadly couldn't make it. My friends who went said it was absolutely phenomenal. She is a force to be reckoned with live.

tessalasset
03-20-2010, 02:49 AM
j0anIVqYYyM

this is more just to show that her voice holds up live, but watching that, i became so concerned with her running around that high up in stiletto heels. that just seemed like an accident waiting to happen. mad props to flo.

tessalasset
03-20-2010, 02:54 AM
god i so wish i could have been here. my favorite song.

1_HexrlRmFI

SonicBluthe
03-20-2010, 03:27 AM
I will vouch for Grizzly Bears awesomeness. This will be my fourth time seeing them and I cannot wait!

CellarOwl
03-20-2010, 04:39 AM
The Big Pink

Fever Ray
They do a good job recreating their sound on album in a live setting and their production adds a lot to the subtly heavy atmosphere the music already creates. It's an extremely well done and unique musical experience that's definitely worth your time if you've got any inkling interest.

Agreed on both counts. I caught The Big Pink last year and they sloppy, boring and all around terrible. I've never seen an audience grow more bored over 45 minutes. Fever Ray however, was a phenomenal show.

For most people Gary Numan would be a pretty average set, but his live band is really tight live and if you're down with The Pleasure Principle it's a great thing to see live. Saw him play a few years ago and those were definitely the highlights from his set, which he should be playing in its entirety this time around.

Same thing applies to Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy, if you dig what he does than you won't be disappointed seeing him live.

juloxx
03-20-2010, 08:31 AM
They arent even on the lineup but i just feel like mentioning Crystal Castles sucks donkey balls live

Professor Null
03-20-2010, 09:06 AM
+1 for Porcupine Tree live.

95QS3c_Tei4

edbangme
03-20-2010, 09:21 AM
They arent even on the lineup but i just feel like mentioning Crystal Castles sucks donkey balls live

where did you see them? cause I saw them at 'roo and they were absolutely amzing, everyone I talked to agree it was the best late night set of the week.

the tent that night went Phoenix---->Crystal Castles----> Girl Talk.......awesomeness : )

Thisismyname
03-20-2010, 09:26 AM
The Pretty Lights set that night was soooo much better than Girl Talks, I'm so glad I made the switch.

And Nine Inch Nails was easily the best Late Night set of the Weekend.

schmechel-deckle
03-20-2010, 09:28 AM

I thought they were killing an old asian woman on stage during their set at coach last year... The naked wizard was by far the best part of the act

edbangme
03-20-2010, 09:34 AM
blah I can't really get into Pretty Lights... : /

Thisismyname
03-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I almost never listen to him on cd, but check him out live, he puts on a great show.

edbangme
03-20-2010, 09:44 AM
will do, if there are no major conflicts

gaypalmsprings
03-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Vampire Weekend is bad.

Z-Trip is okay.

John Waters is good.

foxydj
03-20-2010, 09:56 AM
z-trip is consistantly good live

andymcdandy
03-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Friday:

Great: LCD Soundsystem, Grizzly Bear, Fever Ray, The Avett Brothers, Sleigh Bells
Good: She & Him, Yeasayer, Hockey
OK: Vampire Weekend, deadmau5, Ra Ra Riot,
Bad:Passion Pit

Saturday:

Great: Muse, The Dead Weather, Hot Chip, Dirty Projectors, Gossip, Edward Sharpe
Good: MGMT, Devo, The xx,
OK: Beach House
Bad: Coheed & Cambria, Camera Obscura,

Sunday:

Great: Atoms for Peace,
Good: Phoenix, Spoon, King Khan and the Shrines, Local Natives
OK:
Bad:

unknown
03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Oops I forgot about djs on my list. Bassnectar is really good, a lot of fun. Craze is fucking excellent but I'm not sure how he and Klever will be together since the last time I caught Craze he played dnb for an hour and hip hop for an hour.

Egull
03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
GOOD FUCKING IDEA.

sorry i have nothing to contribute.

Great.

Egull
03-20-2010, 11:12 AM

IS
Dead Weather - Rocked ACL b4 Pearl Jam
Spoon - I'm bias but I have never been bummed
Muse - Crazy production setups
Dirty Projectors - Great at ACL
Bassnectar - Awesome at ACL
Hot Chip - Funnn
Phoenix - more funnn

ISN'T
Vampire Wreckend - pretentious boringness
Passion Pit - 2 songs were good
MGMT - flat sound, made me sad
Mutemath - Noisy mess
Yeasayer - but I like the new album...
Them Crooked Old Dudes who wanna keep rockin in the free world, made me wish this was China...

LOOKING FORWARD TO...
Deadmau5
Pretty Lights
White Rabbits
Grizzly Bear
Club 75
Thom Yorke
Gorillaz
Julian Casablancas
2manyDj's

Wanna see but afraid they MAY be bad
The XX
Edward Sharp and those other musicians
David Guetta
Beach House

Edward Sharpe is amazing live. Make sure you watch them.

SAMGASM
03-20-2010, 11:21 AM
The Avett Brothers are FUCKING AWESOME live. And I'm stoked to see them at Coachella, and then again down in Tucson the SAME FUCKING WEEK!!!!

Alchemy
03-20-2010, 11:39 AM
FRIDAY
4 Stars: LCD Soundsystem, Grizzly Bear
3 Stars: Passion Pit, Imogen Heap

SATURDAY
5 Stars: Hot Chip, Mew
4 Stars: Dirty Projectors, Beach House
2 Stars: MGMT

SUNDAY
5 Stars: Mayer Hawthorne and the County
4 Stars: Phoenix
3 Stars: Spoon, Infected Mushroom, Deerhunter

I am seeing Big Pink at the end of the month. I'll report back if I remember.

Dooney
03-20-2010, 11:40 AM
All based on personal experience:

Good: Vampire Weekend, Muse, deadmau5, Deerhunter, RX Bandits
On/off days: Coheed & Cambria, Passion Pit, Mew
Bad: MGMT, Street Sweeper Social Club

really? mgmt is bad live?! I have to see it to believe it

edbangme
03-20-2010, 11:52 AM
^ I have heard they are bad from almost everyone that has seen them : /

Blipvurt
03-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Of the bands playing that I have seen:

Friday:
5 Stars:
The Cribs - my review (http://www.welovedc.com/2010/01/22/we-love-music-im-a-realist-im-a-romantic/)

4 Stars:
Whitest Boy Alive
Echo & The Bunnymen

1 Star:
Street Sweeper Social Club

Saturday:
5 Stars:
Muse - my review of last time I saw them. (http://www.welovedc.com/2010/03/04/we-love-music-muse-the-patriot-center-3110/)
Devo - they were #1 on my best shows in DC list for 2009. (http://www.welovedc.com/2009/12/30/the-five-best-concerts-in-and-around-dc-for-2009/)
Faith No More

4 Stars:
The Raveonettes - an old review I wrote of a Raveonettes show.
(http://dc.metblogs.com/2007/03/21/special-electric-duo/)
2 Stars:
Tokyo Police Club
Les Claypool

1 Star:
Tiesto

Sunday:
I haven't seen any of Sunday's bands.

matsuolost
03-20-2010, 12:34 PM
man, no one can give an opinion on gorillaz / pavement / thom / orbital and i fucking love that

edbangme
03-20-2010, 12:42 PM
man, no one can give an opinion on gorillaz / pavement / thom / orbital and i fucking love that
i'll be able to give an opinion on orbital a week from today!!!

sleepybrew
03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
avoid: Tiesto, Yo La Tengo, MGMT (unless your curiosity gets the better of you, I like their album but seen them twice and been dissappointed both times.)

Edward Sharpe was great live. not my favorite music, but fun live.

I've seen Hot Chip twice(both at Coachella) and each time the damn tent blew up. It was so crazy in '08 people climbed up the rafters, hung from their feet and daced with their arms while hanging upside down 20 feet above everyone. much fun

sleepybrew
03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
also, to whomever said Crystal Castles suck live...................i completely agree. i felt like an ass even trying to dance to that shit.

shakur
03-20-2010, 01:11 PM
I have seen mgmt live once and they put on a really good show.

Weatherman
03-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Fri:

Great:
LCDS, P.O.S, Dillinger Escape Plan,

Average:
Benny Benassi, deadmau5 (he might be a bit better this year though), Imogen Heap, Lucero

Bad:
Vampire Weekend

Sat:

Average:
Coheed and Cambria (it depends, i've seen them several times and they're either a good show or really mediocre), MGMT, Muse (although it was six years ago last time i saw them so it could be different now), Tiesto

I haven't seen many bands previously this year so I don't have much else to say.

megatron26
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
im really stoked for Matt and Kim : )

I saw matt and kim when they opened for cut copy. they were decent live, I just dont really dig their music

Jman4321
03-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I haven't seen a huge amount of bands that are on this year's line-up, however I'll offer what input I can.

Excellent
LCD Soundsystem-The only set of theirs that I caught was at Coachella '07, however I thought that it was stunning. "Yeah" is something to behold live.

Grizzly Bear-I've seen them twice at this point at the Fillmore and Treasure Island, both times after Veckatimest came out, and each time I walked in hoping that I wouldn't get bored midway through. It didn't happen, as they are able to , for the most part, modify their songs perfectly for the stage. If you have time and are interested I'd recommend checking them out. If not for anything but to see how tight they are as a band.

Fever Ray: This was simultaneously one of the most preposterous and amazing shows I have ever seen. As the stage hand began lighting incense on the stage before they began, I started to think that it was going to be a little over the top (bolstered by pictures of the costumes I found beforehand). However once the first two lasers cut through the fog and revealed the band, I was transported into their territory for the next hour or so; incense, costumes, antique lamps and all. I've never seen a show's atmosphere so expertly constructed and executed. Furthermore, the band's performance was accentuated by the stage atmosphere rather than drowned out by it, which is a feat in and of itself.

Good
Vampire Weekend: Honestly I can't say much about them as performers. They're pretty good musicians on stage, however they just play their songs almost verbatim from their albums. If you like their albums, then this should be enjoyable, if not somewhat boring.

Fair
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros: I already know I'm going to catch hell for this. I haven't bought into the love for Edward Sharpe's group by any means. It's nice enough music but nothing I would seek out and obsess over. Regardless if that is a defect on my part or not, the fact remains that that very sense of disinterest carried with me when I saw them at Treasure Island. Once again it was nice enough, but didn't grab my attention at all. More so I found Sharpe's behavior onstage more than a little ridiculous. They weren't bad at all ("Home" was definitely enjoyable). They just aren't for me.

Bad
Passion Pit: This is hands down the worst thing I have ever seen. Their performance was tanked by terrible sound, overly piercing keyboards, and, dear God, that singer. He sounded like an anemic, whining child that was struggling to be loud enough for people to hear. A guy behind me was repeatedly apologizing to his friend for making her seeing it, saying, "I promise that they were really good at the small club where I saw them!!!" Again this was at Treasure Island, so maybe the outdoor setting truly hurt their set and they are indeed a great live band in small settings. However, that's a moot point considering that they'll obviously be outdoors at Coachella, probably fucking up again.

edbangme
03-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I saw matt and kim when they opened for cut copy. they were decent live, I just dont really dig their music

cool sounds like ill have to go check them out then

gimmeth3night
03-20-2010, 02:19 PM
LOOKING FORWARD TO...
White Rabbits

I'd move that one to the "I want to see but am afraid they may be bad" list. Saw them a few months ago in LA and they were reeeeally bad. Local Natives opened for them and put on a much better set in my opinion. With White Rabbits, I had seen videos of Percussion Gun live and was super stoked for it because it seemed like there would be a lot of energy but if i remember correctly, I left before they even played it because it was one of the most boring sets I've ever seen :-/

redthreat
03-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Fri:
Bad:
Vampire Weekend

really? they were going to be one of the 'indie' acts that i check out this year.

anyone else support this opinion of them (who has seen them live) ?

breathewithme
03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
really? they were going to be one of the 'indie' acts that i check out this year.

they were really good last December in Oakland...they played the arena, a couple of acts before Muse...

rage patton
03-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Friday:
Amazing: The Avett Brothers, Yeasayer, The Specials

None of you should miss these 3 acts. All are incredible in their own way live. Cannot wait.

guedita
03-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I saw Vampire Weekend back in November and it was a good set. Energetic and definitely verbatim off of their album(s). So if you dig their music you will enjoy the show.

I can also vouch for Passion Pit being terrible at Treasure Island, and it's solely because the lead singer is unable to reproduce the sound he achieved on the album. It made me sort of like their album less because every time I want to put it on I think of his horrible screeching and I pick something else. So you won't miss anything if you can't see these guys.

2ManyDJs are fantastic. Don't miss the opportunity to see them if you haven't yet.

RickeyinLA
03-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I saw Vampire Weekend at Pappy & Harriet's in November and I thought they were terrific terrific - I know GPS disagrees. I'm looking forward to catching them again.

PS: I'm RickeyinLA on the iphone app and I'm 1st time camping - friend up if you like.

CoachellaBlood
03-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Miike Snow, all I heard is his set at SXSW with Uffie was great...

Miike Snow is a band, not a person, and I hear they are great live.

I have been watching a lot of live Hot Chip videos and the new stuff sounds really good.

FoxeyLady
03-20-2010, 03:36 PM
If you like his music, Flying Lotus is REALLY good live. I've seen him four or five times now and each set is magnificent and full of manic energy. His set at the Dome last year was my favorite set of the day.

I am SO stoked for FlyLo, he's my number one priority on Saturday. I just pray he plays at night, which I think he will.

TomAz
03-20-2010, 04:08 PM
the one time I saw Spoon they really sucked. dull and lifeless. and I'm not a hater, I generally really like Spoon's music. And I'm willing to give them a pass -- the set I saw was at ACL 07, and they had the misfortune of staring right into the sun late in the day. They could probably barely see the audience.

mondolind
03-20-2010, 04:12 PM
man, no one can give an opinion on [snip] orbital and i fucking love that

i'll presume you're joking as at least a couple of people have already commented on orbital live.

throwing my 2c in - i've seen them 8 times since 1992. every single show was blisteringly goosebump-inducing good -- not a weak performance in the lot. miss them at your peril.

edbangme
03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Miike Snow is a band, not a person, and I hear they are great live.

I have been watching a lot of live Hot Chip videos and the new stuff sounds really good.
yeah i wasnt really sure but never the less i heard they were very good...

llydo
03-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Bowerbirds are good

I second this.

Thisismyname
03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I'd move that one to the "I want to see but am afraid they may be bad" list. Saw them a few months ago in LA and they were reeeeally bad. Local Natives opened for them and put on a much better set in my opinion. With White Rabbits, I had seen videos of Percussion Gun live and was super stoked for it because it seemed like there would be a lot of energy but if i remember correctly, I left before they even played it because it was one of the most boring sets I've ever seen :-/

Really? Must have been an off night. They were absolutely fantastic when I saw them in the fall.

DaFunkyPrecedent
03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Shows I will NOT miss:
LCD Soundsystem
Avett Brothers
Fever Ray
Old Crow Medicine Show (Wagon Wheel live will be euphoric)
Gorillaz (duh)
Faith No More (I predict this will be THE show everyone talks about)
Grizzly Bear
De La Soul (best Hip Hop)
FlyLo (head bangin')
Thom Yorke...of course.

Meh Live Bands:
MGMT
Vampire Weekend
Passion Pit

Excited to Check Out:
Charlotte Gainsbrough
Club 75 (gonna be a party)
Orbital
Portugal. The man
Little Dragon
Deerhunter

wazdog
03-20-2010, 09:25 PM
MGMT are terrible live. The only thing that made them look good was Luke Steele who warmed up for them, even worse.

The Phoenix rock live.

Passion Pit were great live. With one album and an EP I was a bit sceptical about paying $80 to see them do a solo gig and they had a pretty good live element to their show.

Hot Chip are also really good live too!

motionnn77
03-20-2010, 09:26 PM

I saw a portion of their set @ Coachella '08. They are just boring. But I wasn't really into their music all that much. So many people recommended them, that we made plans for them specifically and I left after 15 mins.

CrimesceneCookie
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Passion Pit were great live. With one album and an EP I was a bit sceptical about paying $80 to see them do a solo gig ...

I know these words, but this makes no sense

wazdog
03-20-2010, 09:34 PM
ha paying $80 for a band with one album is a bit expensive don't you think?

DaFunkyPrecedent
03-20-2010, 09:39 PM
how are echo and bunny these days?

tessalasset
03-20-2010, 10:48 PM
I really hope the Cribs play Mirror Kissers. I've loved that song for five years now.

dorkfish
03-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Good: Grizzly Bear, Fever Ray, Yeasayer, Deer Tick, 2 Many Dj's, Thom Yorke, Spoon, De La Soul, Deerhunter, Owen Pallett, Matt & Kim, Dirty Projectors, Yo La Tengo, Sia, Mew

Average: LCD Soundsystem, Benny Benassi, Muse, Hot Chip, the Dead Weather, Tokyo Police Club, David Guetta

Terrible: MGMT, RX Bandits, Coheed and Cambria, Tiesto

schmechel-deckle
03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Though he hasn't even started touring yet, Jonsi's set will be a thing to behold... probably the worst conflict of the festival could be Gorillaz/Jonsi, I am terrified

TheScenestar
03-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Not good: Tiesto

Snorlax
03-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Portugal the Man Saw them in Pomona. I am a pretty big fan so I thought it was a great show. they played mostly stuff from Satanic Satanist and Censored Colors but i heard a good few tunes from the earlier ones. They also did this sweet transition in one of their songs and started playing some Ziggy Stardust (not the song, but one of the other songs from the album, i forget which one).
Verdict: If you like their albums you'll love their set.

Yeasayer I saw them on their last tour (so i'm excited to hear ODD BLOOD live). I liked some of their songs before I saw them and was kinda just eh on the later half of the CD but left a very big fan, hearing it live made the songs better for me (and i wasn't on drugs either).
Verdict: Try and see them if you are even a little interested.

Vampire Weekend They get a lot of hate here. I saw them at Street Scene and thought they sounded exactly like their 1 album, not sloppy or anything.
Verdict: don't let boardies dissuade you if you actually enjoy their music.

Passion Pit Saw them at Soma and had no idea who they were at the time. I thought they sounded good and actually bought the CD because of it.

Hockey saw a secret show with 94.9 so it was only 3 songs and the drummer wasn't drumming and there was no extra electronics. I thought it was alright. Though since it wasn't a full show i don't think anyone should base their decisions on this review. It also should be noted i tried getting into their album both before and after their show and it never stuck for me.

Spoon I've never wanted to see this band but have seen them open for bands i did like at least 3 times(once for Death Cab and once for Interpol, and some other festival). I only own one of their cd's that i bought a long while ago Gimme Fiction and don't really like it that much.
That being said, I do think they have some pretty cool tunes. I definitely didn't mind listening to them while i was waiting for the other bands.

Hot Chip They were great to dance to live.

CONCLUSION All that being said, Yeasayer is the only one i am super excited to see again because i loved them live last time, loving their new record and have been hearing good things on their new show.
I would like to see Hot Chip and Portugal again but if the PREDICTION thread is accurate i'll be seeing Beach house and DEVO instead. Everyone else is not a priority and would lose to most conflicts.
Hopefully my reviews help someone.

elbrycen
03-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Good: Grizzly Bear, Fever Ray, Yeasayer, Deer Tick, 2 Many Dj's, Thom Yorke, Spoon, De La Soul, Deerhunter, Owen Pallett, Matt & Kim, Dirty Projectors, Yo La Tengo, Sia, Mew

Average: LCD Soundsystem, Benny Benassi, Muse, Hot Chip, the Dead Weather, Tokyo Police Club, David Guetta

Terrible: MGMT, RX Bandits, Coheed and Cambria, Tiesto

Rx Bandits may be the best live band playing this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4-UYEtYqgg

tessalasset
03-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Excellent
LCD Soundsystem-The only set of theirs that I caught was at Coachella '07, however I thought that it was stunning. "Yeah" is something to behold live.

QTF

tessalasset
03-21-2010, 03:47 AM

While I've seen them over 10 times in the past nine years and I really enjoy their live shows, I would never go as far as to say they're the best out of the entire Coachella 2010 lineup. That's just silly.

cubrocker
03-21-2010, 04:01 AM

theyre pretty good but far from the best you sillyface

shotglass75
03-21-2010, 08:12 AM
The Big Pink last night at The Metro were fucking fantastic.

(A Place To Bury Strangers were also outstanding)

mlgiardina
03-21-2010, 09:43 AM
from what i've seen, these people/bands are almost guaranteed to put on a great show.

friday:
them crooked vultures - i saw them in austin for a pre-ACL show before their album came out and they were fucking incredible. one of the best rock shows i've been to in a long time. everyone should go to this show.

deadmau5 - i caught a glimpse of his show at lollapalooza last year and i liked what i heard and everyone in the crowd was really into it.

passion pit - also saw them at lollapalooza. they put on a good show but the crowd was terrible. people were shoving everywhere just to get closer to the front, so that distracted me a lot from the music. when i was actually able to pay attention to the show i really enjoyed it.

perry ferrell vs. steve porter - i haven't seen this particular act but i've seen perry ferrell a few times in his different bands and he has always put on a good show, so i imagine that this will be along the same caliber of performance.

saturday:
pretty lights - do not miss this show. absolutely incredible. will be seeing them tonight for the second time and i guarantee it'll be great.

the temper trap - i saw them a few days ago for a free SXSW show. at first it wasn't that great because either the sound guy messed up or something because the sound was way off. it went from guitar too loud to the vocals too loud to the keyboards too loud. because of the sound problems, everyone in the crowd was talking a lot at first so i was definitely disappointed. after they got the sound fixed (2-3 songs into the performance) the crowd shut up and everyone got really into the music and the performance was great. barring any sound problems, they will put on a good show.

band of skulls - they performed a couple acts before the temper trap at SXSW and i had never heard of them but was impressed with how clean the music sounded when they played. i enjoyed their set a lot.

sunday:
gorillaz - i personally haven't seen them live, but on the music hd channel i saw their whole performance at the apollo theater, and it was great to watch. damon albarn never takes center stage and always does his thing toward the back. the guest artists on the songs were always the focus so it was really varietal. i imagine their show at coachella will be like that.

that's all.

mojave
03-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Rx Bandits are the best live band playing this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4-UYEtYqgg Agreed.

elbrycen
03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
While I've seen them over 10 times in the past nine years and I really enjoy their live shows, I would never go as far as to say they're the best out of the entire Coachella 2010 lineup. That's just silly.

they aren't the best live show, they're the best live band. in terms of entertainment and shit to watch while tripping, yeah, gorillaz, lcd soundsystem, muse, jay z, dj lance rock, etc...

but in terms of raw musicianship? no one beats the RxB.

citizenerased
03-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I've also seen RxB about 10 times and while Matt Embree and Steve Choi shred live and the drummer is amazing... I still don't know about that claim.

gimmeth3night
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
If you like his music, Flying Lotus is REALLY good live. I've seen him four or five times now and each set is magnificent and full of manic energy. His set at the Dome last year was my favorite set of the day.

I second every word of this. I've seen him 4 or 5 times at Low End Theory in LA plus i caught his Dome set last year. He's definitely one of my favorite people to see live. He's always smiling when he's up there like a mad scientist whipping up some crazy space potion for the crowd. The man's fucking insane. Nobody should miss FlyLo

zeg0ggles
03-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Seen Baroness twice and both times they were excellent. John Baizley is straight mad. One time a friend of mine saw them and saw his vocals were off, which is bound to happen sometimes with growling (from getting sick or whatever), but the majority of the time they don't fuck around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-BNWxe-lg&feature=related

goldfromla
03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
anyone seen wolfgang gartner here? if so how was he? ive watched some youtube videos and he looks pretty fun

edbangme
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM
anyone seen wolfgang gartner here? if so how was he? ive watched some youtube videos and he looks pretty fun

no but I'm goin to see him on Friday in Miami, Ill let you know if no one else has seen him...

rasooli
03-21-2010, 05:55 PM
AMAZING:

De La Soul -saw them at Rock the Bells a couple of years ago and they were one of the best acts there. Their stage presence is huge and they're amazing performers. Can't fucking wait to see them again. If you're into hip hop at all you should definitely check them out

Porcupine Tree - their live preformances are out of this world. Steven Wilson is a musical genius, I saw them a couple of months back and the show was ridiculous. If you haven't heard these guys yet your should DEFINITELY check em out.

GOOD

DJ TIESTO - I saw him at Coachella '07 and I for one thought he did a really good job. The visuals he set up on stage and the lasers were fucking sick. I admit I rarely go to electronic shows, so I don't really have a benchmark to compare him with, but i thought his show was really good. I noticed most of the people on the boards hate this guy, and I know I'll get flammed for this, but I for one think he's a pretty good live performer (although I'm not much of a fan of his recorded stuff)

BAD

Toyko Police Club - saw them at Coachella '07 and they HELLA sucked. The drummer was terrible live and they didn't sound clean whatsoever. I liked their albums but i was turned off by their performance.

MGMT - I saw one of their live performances on TV and it was REALLY bad. I don't know if they were just fucked up on drugs or what but they sounded nothing like their recorded material.

rasooli
03-21-2010, 05:57 PM

my buddy saw him about a month ago and he said he was only ok, which disappointeed me as he is one of the sahara acts I'm most excited to see.

MissingPerson
03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
To be fair, MGMT are supposed to have improved immensely with the passage of time, but I'm told they were a) Very Shit and b) Really Douchey about playing Oracular Spectacular stuff at their show in Dublin yesterday.

juloxx
03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
where did you see them? cause I saw them at 'roo and they were absolutely amzing, everyone I talked to agree it was the best late night set of the week.

the tent that night went Phoenix---->Crystal Castles----> Girl Talk.......awesomeness : )

At Coachella in 08, and it was just vile.

Was that bitch just screaming and shouting on the stage at 'roo? Because thats essentially what killed it for Coachella. The music playing in the background was dope, but the banshee shrieks were not

edbangme
03-21-2010, 08:42 PM
At Coachella in 08, and it was just vile.

Was that bitch just screaming and shouting on the stage at 'roo? Because thats essentially what killed it for Coachella. The music playing in the background was dope, but the banshee shrieks were not

lol yeah i guess I can see how people wouldn't like them cause she does just scream but all seemed to kind of work, the tent went nuts for it. I don't like their recordings that much and I can also see how it would probably suck in the daytime.

citizenerased
03-21-2010, 08:59 PM
To be fair I thought thought their Coachella performance wasn't very good but then I saw them again at BFD and it was really, really awesome.

edbangme
03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
To be fair I thought thought their Coachella performance wasn't very good but then I saw them again at BFD and it was really, really awesome.

bfd?

send me ctrpllrs
03-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Great:
Grizzly Bear
The Avett Brothers
2 many djs
Dirty Projectors
Deerhunter

Decent:
Vampire Weekend
deadmau5
MGMT
Hot Chip - Awesome at Coachella 08, weren't as good at SS, don't like the new album much
Coheed and Cambria - I used to love them and enjoyed them live before, I wouldn't now but I suppose you may if you still like them
Girls - Better than I expected them to be
Beach House - New songs sounded great
Portugal. The Man - A few times when they were newer

Will not watch:
Tiesto

citizenerased
03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
bfd?
Bay Area radio thing. Last year I saw Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Crystal Castles so it was pretty good for like $20

oftheheartofthesoul
03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Just got back from the Little Dragon show in Charlotte. You all are in for a treat next month!

edbangme
03-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Bay Area radio thing. Last year I saw Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Crystal Castles so it was pretty good for like $20

wow thats a nice little lineup for 20 bux

Boourns
03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Just got back from the Little Dragon show in Charlotte. You all are in for a treat next month!

Nice! Setlist?

ELECtROjan
03-21-2010, 10:36 PM
My "What Should be in the Sahara" Reviews: This is based on who I've actually seen and ( x) is how many times ive seen them

Friday:
5 (Do Not Miss) :
4 (Great)
3 (OK): Deadmau5 (4)
2 (Find Something Better) Benny Benassi (3)
1 (Avoid)

Saturday:
5: Hot Chip (1), 2ManyDJ's (3),
4: Flying Lotus (1)
3: Tiesto (1 - in Ibiza) Kaskade (2) Bassnectar (1)
2: Dirty South (1)
1: Guetta (1) Major Lazer (4)

Sunday:
5:
4:
3: Glitch Mob (2)
2: Paparazzi (1)
1:

Trigaus
03-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Local Natives = Really Good

absoluteimp
03-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Friday:

Benassi: Killed it at EDC last summer - so good! But last time he played Vanguard he sucked so bad I got a headache and left an hour early. I've heard from others that have seen him multiple times that he just pretty much sucks - especially in smaller venues. His recorded stuff is tight - but he seems not to play his hits much....just like one long track that seems to play endlessly and once in a while a hit or two. He MAY bring the thunder at Coachella since its...well...COACHELLA but I would only venture to see him if you have no other acts that you really want to see at the same time. As for me - I'm giving him another chance.

Deadmau5: DO NOT MISS THE MAU5! Just don't! He only disappointed me once at Hard Halloween (first night) but all djs have their off nights. Every other time I've seen him he has melted my brain. DO NOT MISS!

Saturday

David Guetta: Guetta is my baby! I love him! He is ALWAYS awesome. EDC last summer I thought I was gonna die - his set was tiiiiiight! Seen him a few times this year. DO NOT MISS.

Dirty South (Dragan): Very good - we had him over at Playhouse in Hollywood as a surprise guest DJ for a post Grammy party. He definitely worth catching if you can. He is also super cute and hence eye candy as well :)

Kaskade:Do not miss - and I also wouldn't be surprised if Deadmau5 shows up during his set and they perform some of their collaborative tracks. Kaskade is known for his awesome live shows.

Tiesto: DO NOT MISS! Are you crazy? Tiesto may be a diva and full of himself but his show is just NOT something I would miss. I've always had a really good time at his shows, his light shows and lasers and all that are sick - I mean SICK! They go all out.

Those are the only people I've seen live out of the Coachella lineup. Bottom line if you are an electronic/house music fan you MUST see Deadmau5, Guetta and Tiesto.

Edmontonian
03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Of bands I've seen live:

Friday:

Great: LCD Soundsystem, Deadmau5, Grizzly Bear, Yeasayer
Good: Vampire Weekend,
OK: Erol Alkan, The Cribs
Bad: Benny Benassi, Passion Pit, Street Sweeper Social Club

Saturday:

Great: HOT CHIP (the way they transform a chill pop tune on album into a raging dance party live is inexplicable... must be witnessed, MAD ENERGY LIVE!)
Good: Tiesto (don't like his songs so much, so I was impressed by how much I enjoyed his show), David Guetta (His newer tracks lean towards Top40 but Guetta is a house DJ at heart and he always kills it with lots of great electronic house), Tokyo Police Club
OK:
Bad: Dirty Projectors (vocals lacked, listless)

Sunday:

Great: King Khan and the Shrines (Please do not miss this, theatrics and entertainment galore! I saw them at sasquatch and didn't know any of their songs and still loved it!)
Good:
OK: Spoon (I'm a massive spoon fan so I was quite disappointed at the lack of energy they put into their live show when I saw them a couple years ago in Seattle).
Bad:

Boourns
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Great: Muse, Dirty Projectors, Yann Tiersen, LCD Soundsystem, Owen Pallett, Grizzly Bear
Good: The Specials
OK: Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, Girls, Band of Skulls
Bad: Hot Chip, Tiesto (I could hear it from the campgrounds in 2007)

I'm seeing Thom Yorke and Flying Lotus in two weeks.

algunz
03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
GREAT: Pavement
Bad: PiL

Or at least they both were . . .

Fulkrum
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM

ISN'T

This is the coolest comment I've ever seen for that song. XD

Fulkrum
03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
+1 for Porcupine Tree live.

95QS3c_Tei4

Porcupine Tree is one of the best live i've ever seen, blown away everytime.

ScottWalker
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
LCD Soundsystem-simply one of the best live bands around right now.

Vampire Weekend-True, they stick to the recorded arrangments, but they've gotten super tight and have great stage presence. If you like the records, you'll love the show.

Grizzly Bear-They were stunning at both the theater shows I saw. Let's hope they don't get overwhelmed or drowned out at Coachella.

Echo & The Bunnymen-Always great. All the hits.

Muse-Perhaps the best live rock band on the planet right now.

Devo-super tight and energetic. Still great in their 50's.

Hot Chip-one of my favorite current live bands. Electronic yet organic.

Dirty Projectors-If you like what they do, they do it well live, but they can get a bit grating at times.

Gorillaz-I saw one of the Apollo shows and it was stunning. This should be even bigger and better.

Pavement-Sloppy both time I saw them back in the day. Overrated?

Orbital-Were great in the mid 90's.

Gary Numan-always very powerful.

oddlyenough
03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Don't miss: Muse, Grizzly Bear, Kaskade

Great: Edward Sharpe, Infected Mushroom (fuck you!), Benny Benassi

Meh: Vampire Weekend

oftheheartofthesoul
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Nice! Setlist?

Couldn't tell you everything, but I recognized "After the Rain" and "Feather." The last song (not counting the encore) was "Twice," but most of the set was a high-octane dance party. Wild, improvised, sexy. Don't know how much of that you'll see in a 50-minute Coachella set, but it should be fun anyway.

On a related note, while at the show, I was giving advice to a lady who is going to Coachella for the first time. When we talked about the heat she said, "I thought it was only going to get up to 85 degrees or something like that."

I hope she survives.

GrossMagic
03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Excellent

Fever Ray - Best show of 2009 and possibly best show ever! Unlike anything I have ever experienced. Very hard to describe the feeling that the show gave me. It was kind of like going back in time and dancing around a tribal fire while a strange phenomena on earth was occurring???? I will definitely be there, and this time with an enhancement for the visual and audio time traveler.

The Dead Weather- Surprisingly, this set was my favorite at street scene. If you haven't seen Jack White or even The Dead Weather, I highly recommend. There is a cast of outstanding showmanship in this band. For some reason I really dig their style, so sleek and sophisticated. They own the stage and give the audience pure rock energy.

Dirty Projectors - Love Bitte Orca and absolutely loved their show at the Casbah. Very unique and technical sound that makes you really appreciate this band. They don't always sound perfect but thats whats cool about them. They use their polymorphic talents and blend them uniformly seamlessly.

Grizzly Bear - I dunno if it was the setting and weather at Treasure Island or what but this band won me! I was so calm and relaxed during this set. Their melodies and harmonies really took me away.

Great

Hot Chip - I was skeptical about how these guys from the UK would translate live. They definitely had some incredible moments at Treasure Island where they got the whole crowd bouncing. Their breakdowns live are really fun and the slower songs actually do sound good.

Deerhunter - Another surprising set at Street Scene. I had never really heard them before, and although I don't really listen to their studio stuff as of now, I highly recommend their live show. The band Really sets a mood that the whole audience can agree with. The music comes out beautifully in a live setting.

Bassnectar - Definitely knows how to throw it down. I have seen Lorin three times, and have gotten DOWN three times. If you can stay still during Bassnectar than I applaud you. The glitch and bass gets to my brain and heart and thats a good thing. The visuals are ok but with the pure power of wattage it isn't really necessary.

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Kinda have to admit it but I pretty much became a fanboy for this band this last year. Saw them opening for Gogol and then 5 more times! So much love and good clean fun here! For a intimate venue I would put them in the excellent category, but for a festival they really couldn't get everyone involved. I really hope and think they will prove me wrong this time around!

I will miss, but doesn't mean you should

Matt & Kim - Ok this set was kind of fun but it just ins't my cup of tea. This band seems like they would appeal more to the younger crowd, I dunno I just have that vibe for them. They were pretty comedic on stage I will give them that.

Pretty Lights - Really like Derrick's attitude and sound but his live show just left me straight up disappointed. I dunno why but I was expecting a lot more from the show at The Belly Up. It got a little receptive for me, but still I danced my ass off.

MGMT - Treasure Island headliners was a bad decision by Another Planet. Didn't translate good live and actually kind of boring. I love Oracular Spectacular even with all the lame popularity. But the live show just left me in the dust and the end of the Festival. Good thing I had the Dan Deacon Ensemble after party because that shit changed my view completely about live shows. Also I am not too fond of the new album and don't see how they could pull that off great live.

Passion Pit - Just doesn't do it for me. If you are looking for screeching vocals and teenagers bouncing then this is for you. There set was mediocre at Treasure Island and found myself walking further and further as they progressed.

unknown
03-22-2010, 04:58 PM

I'm glad San Diego's 94.9 show was the same lineup except instead of Crystal Castles we got The Black Keys. I do not understand how anyone has been able to tolerate Alice live but I also don't understand how people can tolerate the singer from Passion Pit live.

zeg0ggles
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
I caught about a minute of Crystal Castles 09. They were by far the worst act I've ever seen. I was forced to sit through them again at Hard Summer as well... We know how that worked out. They just seem like kids who were super into Screamo and then when it wasn't trendy anymore went to electronic.

goldfromla
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Friday:

Benassi: Killed it at EDC last summer - so good! But last time he played Vanguard he sucked so bad I got a headache and left an hour early. I've heard from others that have seen him multiple times that he just pretty much sucks - especially in smaller venues. His recorded stuff is tight - but he seems not to play his hits much....just like one long track that seems to play endlessly and once in a while a hit or two. He MAY bring the thunder at Coachella since its...well...COACHELLA but I would only venture to see him if you have no other acts that you really want to see at the same time. As for me - I'm giving him another chance.

Deadmau5: DO NOT MISS THE MAU5! Just don't! He only disappointed me once at Hard Halloween (first night) but all djs have their off nights. Every other time I've seen him he has melted my brain. DO NOT MISS!

Saturday

David Guetta: Guetta is my baby! I love him! He is ALWAYS awesome. EDC last summer I thought I was gonna die - his set was tiiiiiight! Seen him a few times this year. DO NOT MISS.

Dirty South (Dragan): Very good - we had him over at Playhouse in Hollywood as a surprise guest DJ for a post Grammy party. He definitely worth catching if you can. He is also super cute and hence eye candy as well :)

Kaskade:Do not miss - and I also wouldn't be surprised if Deadmau5 shows up during his set and they perform some of their collaborative tracks. Kaskade is known for his awesome live shows.

Tiesto: DO NOT MISS! Are you crazy? Tiesto may be a diva and full of himself but his show is just NOT something I would miss. I've always had a really good time at his shows, his light shows and lasers and all that are sick - I mean SICK! They go all out.

Those are the only people I've seen live out of the Coachella lineup. Bottom line if you are an electronic/house music fan you MUST see Deadmau5, Guetta and Tiesto.

NOW GUYS LETS ALL BE NICE!

TommyboyUNM
03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I have more posts than a lot of you, so my opinion counts for more. Here's who I've seen.

Friday:

Great: Grizzly Bear
Good: n/a
OK: The Avett Brothers
Bad: Street Sweeper Social Club

Saturday:

Great: Muse, Portugal. The Man
Good: The Dead Weather, Dirty Projectors, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
OK: Coheed & Cambria, Bassnectar, White Rabbits, Beach House
Bad: n/a

Sunday:

Great: n/a
Good: Thom Yorke (somewhere between good and great), Phoenix, Deerhunter
OK: Spoon, Matt & Kim, The Glitch Mob
Bad: n/a

Mr. Dylanja
03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
SSSC is far from bad, broski.

ajax4747
03-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Good:
Bassnectar
Dead Weather
Vampire Weekend
White Rabbits

SoSo:
Spoon

Awful (And not playing this year thank god):
M.I.A.

clumsy342
03-23-2010, 07:58 AM
i'm pleasantly surprised that everyone who has mentioned Deerhunter has said they were good/great live. I haven't seen them yet (only Atlas Sound) and I'm dying to see them in a couple weeks!

absoluteimp
03-23-2010, 03:58 PM
NOW GUYS LETS ALL BE NICE!

Yeah so what's your point? Another smartass on a forum who thinks his musical tastes are far superior to mine? STFU and get a life.

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Thom Yorke should be listed as great. Tommy's smoking crack today.

amyzzz
03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
err yesterday.

aguila26
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
The Whitest Boy Alive: best fucking show ever, they change and add stuff to EVERY song.

megatron26
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
I caught about a minute of Crystal Castles 09. They were by far the worst act I've ever seen. I was forced to sit through them again at Hard Summer as well... We know how that worked out. They just seem like kids who were super into Screamo and then when it wasn't trendy anymore went to electronic.

oh god I remember the epic disappointment that was hard summer. and I agree, crystal castles is awful live

megatron26
03-24-2010, 02:59 PM
adding in another 2 cents for 2MANYDJS! they were amazing at hard haunted mansion last year!

alternapop
03-24-2010, 03:14 PM
'Girls' flat out stink live

dipmonk
03-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Great -
LCD, Muse, Phoenix, 2ManyDJs, Vampire Weekend, Yeasayer, Major Lazer

Good -
Hot Chip

Meh -
Deadmau5...although we saw him on the first night of Hard '09, and from what others say, it sounds like that's the only bad show he's ever done.

alisonnn
03-30-2010, 06:18 PM
YEASAYER I saw these guys a couple months ago at the Natural History Museum and put on a great set, played a good mix of new and old songs and were very high energy. Also, sounded really good and got the entire crowd moving and singing along. They all seemed really nice and pretty surprised at the crowd's really good energy. I will defiantly be seeing them again if there aren't any conflicts.

THE DEAD WEATHER Saw them like 5 months ago? It was at a Jimmy Kimmel taping and they were just not into it sadly enough.. BUT I think seeing them in this kind of atmosphere would be amazing. Alison absolutely killed it and was a bombshell, I mean everyone killed it but you'll find that out ;)

MUTE MATH I saw them back in 2005 at the Henry Fonda and they were amazinggg so much energy and sounded great live. the singer was so energetic and into his music he was even climbing on his keyboard knocking stuff down.. I really hope they're that into their music 5 years later.. def worth checking out! :thu

alisonnn
03-30-2010, 06:22 PM
i'm pleasantly surprised that everyone who has mentioned Deerhunter has said they were good/great live. I haven't seen them yet (only Atlas Sound) and I'm dying to see them in a couple weeks!

SAME! and atlas sound was so incredible I can't wait to see them

breathewithme
03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
review from yesterday:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/Concert+review+Muse/2743090/story.html

http://lasonotheque.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/muse-live.jpg

the best live rock show on the planet.

IlliniQ
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
GREAT - LCD SOUNDSYSTEM (poster who said "Yeah" kills live couldn't be more right), Hot Chip.
SOUND GREAT but NOT GREAT WORKING WITH CROWD: Grizzly Bear, Thom Yorke.
SOUND GREAT BUT KINDA BORING LIVE: Vampire Weekend
SOUND GREAT BUT INSANELY BORING LIVE: Beach House
JUST PLAIN BAD: MGMT

HAVEN'T SEEN BUT BASED ON SEEING RACONTEURS AND KILLS CAN'T IMAGINE THEM AS ANYTHING BUT GREAT - The Dead Weather.

scoliosisjones
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
acts i can vouch for being absolutely amazing
friday
deadmau5 im not a huge fan or anything heard a couple of his songs but the dude can put together a down ass live set plus his stage presence with the head and his visuals are entertaining
saturday
2manydjs once again put together a dope live performance ... disclaimer..must be a fan of dance music
david guetta listen to his live set from creamfields this year.. he loves the festival setting and loves to get those feet moving
kaskade was expecting a trancy set but supurised me at the palladium with an actual party rocker set (not amazing but if your interested definitely check him out)
major lazer omg omg omg switch and diplo know how to throw a party they play from dancehall to dubstep to straight house dont miss this act they have a hype dude named skerrit boy and he just adds to the already amazing music
sunday
infected mushroom not a fan of there music but had a chance to catch a piece of there set live at edc and they werent half bad shroomed out!
mayer hawthorne saw him at a mini concert for the jimmy kimmell show soulful and groovy especially if your with that special someone just pull em close and groove
rusko will convert the non believers.. his live acts are your bass in the face yet danceable after his live set youll fill your soul nourished!
sly and the family stone i just hope theres a purple light on them and they take the crowd higher
.... has anybody caught a sleigh bells act????

Llama of Time
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I've seen Muse twice now (though one was as an opener and they only played 8 songs) and they blew my mind both times, specially when they were the main act. Possibly the best live act in the world right now. Truly something to see. Even my dad who I dragged along to the concert said he thought they were great, and he had never heard them before.

Got tickets for Phoenix, but that concert is after Coachella, in late April.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-31-2010, 02:12 PM

Very good, I saw them at Echoplex last year...looking forward to them live again. Passion Pit in answer to someone else has become much better live. I'm looking forward to their set. Fonda set>Troubadour set. Old Crow Medicine Show definitely worth catching. Even if it's not quite your guys style they are great performers. LCD great live along with Hot Chip. Have yet to see a bad set by either of them.

Even if you guys don't like the style of music I'm just referring to their showmanship.

untzcrate
03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
i just saw miike snow at sxsw. they killed it. they sound amazing live.
saw yo la tengo last month; i wasn't too into them, but it could've been because i'm not a big fan of their sound regardless.
the glitch mob is hit or miss. their music is good, but i feel like it also depends on how much the crowd gets into it; makes them or breaks them for some reason.
i didn't stay for mgmt's set for too long in '08, but i think it was more about the amount of people trying to cram into the tent than the quality of their music.
i like both kaskade and deadmau5 (bring on the hate), and think they'll put on a quality show.

zamuelwashington
03-31-2010, 09:35 PM
last year i checked out Flying Lotus at the Dome and I was blown away by the set he played. Its nothing like he puts on his albums. 2ManyDJs was the highlight of my Halloween weekend at Hard, they were fantastic. Matt&Kim were a special surprise when they opened for Cut Copy in LA. However, Deadmau5 didn't amazed me last Halloween. He just didn't lived up to the hype of past performances.

look1ngglass
04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I saw Vampire Weekend @ the glass house a year and a half ago and they were, imo, really good. The lack of energy from the crowd is what killed it.

A lot of people are saying Passion Pit isn't that great live, but I remember loving every minute of their performance when I saw them. Everyone was dancing like crazy. I can't remember what venue it was... I was actually pretty drunk. So basically just have a few drinks and you won't regret checking them out. hahaha

TN_Mike
04-01-2010, 02:23 PM
i'm so mad that MGMT is bad live I really like their music

MGMT voted top show at Bonnaroo last year: http://www.spin.com/articles/mgmts-crowning-moment-bonnaroo-headliners

How's that for bad live!

uniform72
04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
MGMT at Treasure Island last year was OK at best.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I saw Steel Train last night. They were not good.

guest-1185
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Saw Muse last night, got this:

_wsMykCXnzA

Easily one of the better shows I've seen in some time and brilliant arena/large production setup.

FoxeyLady
04-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Fuck that's sick. So excited! I hope they can replicate all those pretty lights and LAZERZ at Coachella.

Fandeathis
04-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Must See:

deadmau5 - Seen him 3 times in 09, and he never played remotely the same set twice. Two of his sets were amazing beyond belief, and his Hard 09 set was SUPER mellow. It was perfect for me, but lots of people hate on it.

2 many DJs - Saw them twice last year, and both times they proved that they are some of the best DJs in the world.

Tiesto - Don't see him unless you are really into trance, mellow stuff, and more poppy stuff. For me he is one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Infected Mushroom - If you are into hard stuff, especially metal, you ABSOLUTELY cannot miss this amazing band from Israel!

Club 75 - I doubt anyone in the US has seen them live yet, but they are a collection of some of the absolute best DJs in the world. For those that don't know they are: Both guys from Justice + Busy P + DJ Medhi + Cassius!

Good:

Kaskade - Seen him a couple times. He's great if you are into house or more upbeat trance.

DJ Paparazzi - Been listening to this guy since he was spinning in small electro clubs in LA back in 03. He's finally broken out of the club DJ scene and started to make a name for himself. Good for him! He has a pretty good ear for mixing a lot of different genres of music.

Suck:

Benny Benassi - This guy is a joke. One of the worst DJs I've ever heard, yet he seems to be pretty popular. I don't get it at all.

David Guetta - The biggest embarrassment to electronic music currently alive. This man is trying to destroy electronic music as we know it. Don't believe me? Go ahead and see him for yourself!

Dirty South - Some of the most boring, generic hard house and electro stuff you can hear. I know better resident club DJs.