PDA

View Full Version : Official Confirmed Artists for 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

BlackSwan
11-19-2009, 12:12 AM
:cool:

Look at the look on your face--the internal struggle is apparent. There is no hiding behind those sunglasses, obzen. You can only look in the mirror to find the one is "frontin'" in this fool's game.

obzen
11-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I know you're used to this...
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/26/l_feba30f4dc1b419c95667501e917b64d.jpg

suprefan
11-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Haha. Naw dude.

But the person who showed me the recording really didn't have a rep for frontin' and I sincerely believe it was Thom Yorke's voice in that rendition,becuase it definitely wasn't Chino's - that much I know for certain(plus,the arrangements were totally different). Also, I find it odd how listeners would've mistaken Deftones' acoustic version of Be Quiet And Drive(the one recorded in DJ Crook's room) for Radiohead in the first place when it clearly isn't so, I mean it was news to me when it was brought to my attention today,know what I mean? I've been privy to that version of the song since it was released as a b-side for a single during the Around The Fur days,so I never got any false impression from it. Still, I can't help but wonder if the recording I had heard was in fact the impetus of the ensuing mislabels/misinformation.

Having said that, if it in fact it wasn't what I thought I heard, it was a really air-tight impersonation of Thom/Radiohead covering Deftones, that's all I really could say. It is what it is.

And though I'd like to get a hold of my buddy sometime, I'm not tripping on it. I'm actually tripping on the prospect of Deftones being on the polo fields next year more than anything...

and Radiohead playing that Deftones cover too.

Oooh yeah.
:cool:

Its not happeing, quit already...

Sigur Ros Stache
11-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Well here's one for WON'T be playing this year.
At least that would be my guess being they have an LA Date in April.

Rogue Wave

03-01 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
03-02 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
03-03 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
03-04 Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian Church Sanctuary
03-05 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
03-06 Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
03-08 Atlanta, GA - The Loft
03-09 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
03-10 Birmingham, AL - Bottletree
03-13 Orlando, FL - The Social
03-15 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jacks
03-16 Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
03-17 Dallas, TX - The Loft
04-07 Santa Cruz, CA - Rio Theatre
04-09 Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
04-10 Seattle, WA - Neumo’s
04-13 Boulder, CO - Fox Theatre
04-14 Lawrence, KS - The Bottleneck
04-15 Minneapolis, MN - Fine Line Café
04-16 Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
04-17 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
04-20 Columbia, MO - Mojo’s
04-21 Tulsa, OK - Bobs at Cain’s
04-23 Albuquerque, NM - Launchpad
04-24 Tucson, AZ - Club Congress
04-27 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up
04-29 Los Angeles, CA - El Rey Theatre
04-30 San Francisco, CA - Fillmore

Leeartlee
11-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Bears, Beets,

Battlestar Galactica

A_1_B_2
11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Alex from Consequence of Sound responded to an email about any new Coachella rumors and says to expect an exciting update on their festival outlook site around 3 PM Chi-town time.

ficklecycle
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Alex from Consequence of Sound responded to an email about any new Coachella rumors and says to expect an exciting update on their festival outlook site around 3 PM Chi-town time.

http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/o_rly.jpg

Leeartlee
11-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I think that's the implication

guedita
11-19-2009, 10:07 AM

"Exciting." My favorite part of CoS is when Alex comments in response to people who complain. "If you can’t comprehend the fact that we will self-confirm several artists, then I suggest you find a different place to visit. We’ve been doing this long enough." I don't know why that amuses me so much.

obzen
11-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Its not happeing, quit already...
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/32/l_904cbf12f5b847d198b53cbedc67122c.jpg

somebodytoldme
11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
"Exciting." My favorite part of CoS is when Alex comments in response to people who complain. "If you can’t comprehend the fact that we will self-confirm several artists, then I suggest you find a different place to visit. We’ve been doing this long enough." I don't know why that amuses me so much.

I noticed they're pretty defensive on there. I was reading their list of best albums of the decade and every time a reader left a snarky or critical comment about something on the list, a couple contributing writers would reply back about how unoriginal the comments were. My two cents is that you have to expect that from readers in a comment section to begin with, and if you can't accept that, then don't bother writing a review. Their responses to these comments weren't all that rude but still had that "fuck you but not really, but really, fuck you" tone.

GeezrRckr
11-19-2009, 10:25 AM

which means he's courting a potential advertiser and trying to create a traffic spike to secure the business.

i'm fairly certain that Alex and the rest of the talentless hacks at CoS don't know shit about shyte.

happy to eat my words, but my money's on 2 hours (edit, nice math) from now coming and going without anything of interest.

menikmati
11-19-2009, 10:34 AM
guess how much fail i am full of. i, shhh, recorded the set with my cam. a few months ago i was going through my dvd-rw's and was cleaning them up so i could reuse them. pulled out one that i thought was "roger", deleted it, looked at the sticky again and realized it said "rage". fuck. there was a problem and i never could get it to transfer to my computer because i recorded it in the wrong format. the whole start of the show. was being all artistic and started out backstage and as the house lights went down and the first notes hit i proceeded out the gate into the massive crowd stage right. all of it gone. whoops.

Fuck that sucks, sorry to hear. Hey is there any chance you could PM a list of the stuff you've shot/recorded at Coachella (even if it hasn't been shared)? I remember you telling me before about how you get the camera from costco and end up taking it back, and now that I think about it, I remember you telling me about shooting Rage....I never listed any of these on my site, but I would love to if it's okay with you.

guedita
11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
In all honesty, what could they tell us this early that would cause such a ripple of excitement? Chances are it's a confirmation of something we are already expecting.

And their list/comments/response to comments of their best albums of the decade made me chuckle out loud. Responding to people's dislike of the obvious subjectivity of their selection only seems to perpetuate the amateurish nature of the site. Not that the high-brow style of pitchfork makes their selections any less subjective.

HandBanana
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I wonder about Beach House.
New record, getting back into America from the Euro tour around that time...

Well, here's hopin.

betao
11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
which means he's courting a potential advertiser and trying to create a traffic spike to secure the business.

i'm fairly certain that Alex and the rest of the talentless hacks at CoS don't know shit about shyte.

happy to eat my words, but my money's on 40 minutes from now coming and going without anything of interest.

I'm not for or against CoS by any means, but I'll say this:

Last year, they confirmed Paul McCartney as an independent confirmation about a week or so before the lineup dropped. No source to go with it.

It should also be noted that if they wanted to create a traffic spike, they would publicly advertise a big announcement as opposed to "respond to someones email with that kind of info".

It should lastly be noted that CoS isn't a minor or less-known blog. To the festival world, they are a decently known blog now and they are trying to build up their reputation. They know that people are watching and checking the site. This means that they know they will always be held accountable for big mistakes they make. They'll also be held accountable for successful confirmations they announce.

Basically, they won't put it on their site unless they know it's going to happen. They are aware of the backlash that will be thrown their way if they're wrong. To recap on everything, they would not have confirmed Paul McCartney unless they were sure it was going to happen.

Leeartlee
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
That certainly is one hell of a "non" endorsement

betao
11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm just stating blunt facts about how they (and other independent blogs in similar positions as them) operate. You would do it too if you were in their shoes.

Like I said, I'm not trying to endorse them. I actually dont like their writing style. Their review of Prodigy's "Invaders Must Die" was downright stupid. I also disagree with most of their lists. But to each their own I suppose.

Come 3pm, if they don't have something to show, then call them out on it.

Leeartlee
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Hell, I agree with your statements. I was more poking fun at the fact that it was pretty convincing regardless of your stake in them personally.

GeezrRckr
11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm not for or against CoS by any means, but I'll say this:

Last year, they confirmed Paul McCartney as an independent confirmation about a week or so before the lineup dropped. No source to go with it.

It should also be noted that if they wanted to create a traffic spike, they would publicly advertise a big announcement as opposed to "respond to someones email with that kind of info".

It should lastly be noted that CoS isn't a minor or less-known blog. To the festival world, they are a decently known blog now and they are trying to build up their reputation. They know that people are watching and checking the site. This means that they know they will always be held accountable for big mistakes they make. They'll also be held accountable for successful confirmations they announce.

Basically, they won't put it on their site unless they know it's going to happen. They are aware of the backlash that will be thrown their way if they're wrong. To recap on everything, they would not have confirmed Paul McCartney unless they were sure it was going to happen.

valid points. i guess my enmity towards them is less related to their confirmations (although the way they define "confirmation" is pretty dubious) but more towards the (crappy) content of their site (reviews, lists, etc) and lack of knowledge about venues, etc they espouse to know about in some of their pieces.

on the other hand....the fact that i/we're talking about them says something. like i said...happy to eat my words if they come through on something interesting in a bit.

somebodytoldme
11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Their site is really a mixed bag. There are times you find useful info or news on there since they don't leave a single type of music out of the cold, but then there are times when you scratch your head and think about what was going through their minds when they attended a wrote a review for a Taking Back Sunday show. When I picture their staff, I just picture a bunch of college students or new grads with musical tastes that range from slightly embarrassing to somewhat refined but still Pitchfork-inspired and oblivious to that.

As for their festival updates, they're probably the big reason I still look at the site thanks to last year's good calls. I don't know how they get their info, but my guess is that Alex is a yuppie whose made good contacts during his education and by being another aggressive and annoying music journalist wannabe.

menikmati
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Paul McCartney was pretty well known before they announced it...I could have told you people he was playing 100% weeks before that. I even predicted it way back in October! I know a confirmation is different than a prediction, but still....pretty much anyone here with a brain knew macca was playing by the time CoS confirmed him.

HandBanana
11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Wasnt CoS the site that gave us the Michael Jackson late-add rumor?
And then we got Joss Stone?

So they have been really close before, is all Im sayin.

Gribbz
11-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I thought COS got all their info from the boards? It certainly appears that way anyway.

betao
11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
The only reason why I would ever check CoS is for their confirmations. But at the same time I'd rather check out here or Monklish's blog.

Yeah, I said Monklish. I personally know that Monklish is not "full of shit" either.

betao
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Paul McCartney was pretty well known before they announced it...I could have told you people he was playing 100% weeks before that. I even predicted it way back in October! I know a confirmation is different than a prediction, but still....pretty much anyone here with a brain knew macca was playing by the time CoS confirmed him.

Erik, nobody knew he was playing until then. He was only a rumor.

Boourns
11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I can't find when they posted a list of six big bands and one of them was to be added, but none were. Anyone remember that?

menikmati
11-19-2009, 11:31 AM
The only reason why I would ever check CoS is for their confirmations. But at the same time I'd rather check out here or Monklish's blog.

Yeah, I said Monklish. I personally know that Monklish is not "full of shit" either.

Except Monklish is full of shit. He/she/whatever original list ended up having like 2-3 acts that actually played...and then he/she would just add bands to their list after pretty much they were discussed to death and confirmed on here, and then he/she has the nerve to act like their final list was the best predicted list on the internet....bullshit...75% of those acts were already confirmed before they were listed, and they never ever said or predicted who the three headliners would be. It's all a tease and fucking dumb.

somebodytoldme
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I can't find when they posted a list of six big bands and one of them was to be added, but none were. Anyone remember that?

I remember that. It was for the subheadliner replacement for Wino. I can't remember all the names. Strokes, Pixies, Faith No More(?)...

menikmati
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Yes, more bullshit from CoS. Pavement or Pixies or whatever were gonna be added to replace Winehouse. In the end it was M.I.A, which made CoS look even dumber.

somebodytoldme
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
The part that gets me in that post by Alex that someone reposted on here is when he says "We've been doing this long enough." Two years of them covering festivals that are nearly decades old is as far back as I can remember. Even then it wasn't until last year did they produce anything remotely fruitful as far as info. They haven't paid their dues and made me a believer yet.

nationocean
11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Except Monklish is full of shit. He/she/whatever original list ended up having like 2-3 acts that actually played...and then he/she would just add bands to their list after pretty much they were discussed to death and confirmed on here, and then he/she has the nerve to act like their final list was the best predicted list on the internet....bullshit...75% of those acts were already confirmed before they were listed, and they never ever said or predicted who the three headliners would be. It's all a tease and fucking dumb.

The method of the blog.. where you can just erase and edit older entires...

But that first entry for 2008 predictions list from monk was so far off from who actually played.. It's like a list from me it was so bad..

suprefan
11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Dunno if there's any truth to this but... Major Lazer?

http://twitter.com/henrycoachella

So then youre taking Amneeziacs word for it....

Gribbz
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I hate to be negative nancy, but that album by Major Lazer is pretty terrible.

guedita
11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Aw man, I had FINALLY gotten Pon de Floor out of my head after every act dropped it at HARD.

Monklish
11-19-2009, 12:00 PM

THANK you. Finally someone with a little faith in me.

Gribbz
11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
THANK you. Finally someone with a little faith in me.

I think the faith is in the hat.

Monklish
11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
It's under the hat.

betao
11-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I remember that. It was for the subheadliner replacement for Wino. I can't remember all the names. Strokes, Pixies, Faith No More(?)...

Those were rumors, just names being thrown around. You cant really hold someone to something like that. Now if they had actually said that one or a couple of those acts were definitely playing, then yeah, it would've made them look dumb.

captncrzy
11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
How many of you are going to be on CoS in the next 20 minutes?

Raise your hands.

suprefan
11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Not me.

suprefan
11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I think the faith is in the hat.

You have faith in my hat? Thanks..

betao
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Just so everyone knows, taken from CoS's twitter about an hour ago:

Whoever made up the rumor that we will be unveiling a #Coachella update this afternoon is lying. We don't have anything planned.

suprefan
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAA Lovely.....

stinkbutt
11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Interpol is gonna headline a night

Interpol haven't released a new album since 2007's middling Our Love to Admire. Since then, the members of the band have been pretty busy with extracurricular activities: singer Paul Banks' solo project Julian Plenti, bassist Carlos D's short film, drummer Sam Fogarino's band with Swervedriver's Adam Franklin, Magnetic Morning.

Now, Fogarino tells Paste that the snappily dressed NYC brooders spent spring 2009 recording a new album, which is due for release via Capitol early next year. According to Fogarino, the new LP will recall Interpol's debut album Turn on the Bright Lights, Pitchfork's #20 album of the decade.

The band recorded the album at New York's Electric Lady studio, and they've focused on returning to the stuff that people loved about the band in the first place. Fogarino says, "The new record falls back towards the first. In trying to move forward, there was an unspoken realization that you can't let go of your sonic-defining tag. There was an effort in Daniel [Kessler]'s guitar tone; he rediscovered it playing in his loft space for a year without anybody. The quality of that tone, played in a big room, is just beautiful. It creates an atmosphere ... That big wash of reverb? It's back."

Fogarino also tells Paste that the band doesn't have any illusions about the relative wackness of Our Love to Admire: "[The album] was not our most cohesive moment … It was when reality kicked in as to where we were and where we were never going back to." Perspective!

http://pitchfork.com/news/37161-new-interpol-album-coming-next-year/

captncrzy
11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Haaa haaa dumbass.

rage patton
11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Interpol will not headline a night.

stinkbutt
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
You don't know shit; if they put out another "Turn On The Bright Lights" they will headline and be amazing

malcolmjamalawesome
11-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I think you'll find about 5 pages ago that many are in sharp disagreement with you.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-19-2009, 02:07 PM
As a bonus, you'll also find an amazing exchange between obzen, Black Swan, and myself.

Gribbz
11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
As a bonus, you'll also find an amazing exchange between obzen, Black Swan, and myself.

There's actually only one copy of that exchange in existence.

obzen
11-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Actually.

HandBanana
11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
As Ive said many many times before: anyone can have an Interpol concert in their living room, provided they have four well-dressed mannequins and some Interpol records.

They are like watching paint that is watching paint dry.

paulb
11-19-2009, 03:13 PM
so we all agree they suck big time? cool, glad its not just me.

Monklish
11-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Go listen to some middle-aged Jewish rap please Paul, this is conversation for discerning adults.

GeezrRckr
so we all agree they suck big time? cool, glad its not just me.

uh huh.

Monklish
I bet when Matisyahu ages another decade he'll be fucking awesome, right?

sonofhal
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree they can be hit and miss. Seen a couple of really good Interpol shows, and a couple of truly dreadful ones.

paulb
11-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Interpol arent horrible, but ive seen them live a few times, and its just fairly boring, Sasquatch, Hurricane, Pemberton(which was the only good time) and a bit at Lolla...I do like the song Obstacle 1 though.

FoxeyLady
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Interpol are great on record and good (nothing special) live, but there's no way in hell they headline.

guest-1185
11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Their stage presence is obviously nothing extraordinary but that's a reflection of the music's tone and their personal style. But to say their music sucks is ludicrous.

For the record, bands like the Pixies and My Bloody Valentine don't exactly rock-out themselves.

paulb
11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Jeff, thats cause they are the best of the best at what they do.

Boourns
11-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Antics was mediocre and the last one just sucked except for one song.

karma_guy
11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
i've seen interpol twice:
once was when they were touring for antics, and they played Coconuts (capacity around 200? very small nonetheless) and it was fuckin amazing

however, i saw em at lollapalooza and they were really, really boring.

hopefully the third time i see em will be the charm

Monklish
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Antics was one of the best albums of the decade, and Our Love had at least six good tracks on it including Lighthouse which is one of their best songs.

FoxeyLady
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM
has anyone heard the orchestral version of pioneer to the falls? fucking brilliant.

Monklish
11-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I hope Interpol does headline now just so all you stuffy rat bastards can crowbar your distaste up your gigantic gashes.

obzen
11-19-2009, 04:05 PM
How much distaste would necessitate a single crowbar? Not much I'd imagine.

Kid B
11-19-2009, 04:35 PM
New Monklish update. Don't think it's been brought up yet.

You can start holding me to this slightly
I'm more or less saying that these bands will be there:

1) As Tall As Lions
2) Avett Brothers
3) Bonobo
4) Craze and Klever
5) Deerhunter
6) Devo
7) Dirty Projectors
8) Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
9) El Gran Silencio
10) Faith No More
11) Florence and the Machines
12) Fool's Gold
13) Free Energy
14) Girls
15) Hot Chip
16) Iggy Pop and the Stooges
17) Imogen Heap
18) Little Boots
19) KiD CuDi
20) Major Lazer
21) MGMT
22) Micachu & The Shapes
23) Miike Snow
24) Muse
25) No Age
26) Panda Bear
27) Pavement
28) Perry Farrell
29) Phoenix
30) Pretty Lights
31) Quantic
32) Sleepy Sun
33) Spoon
34) Tallest Man on Earth
35) Tegan and Sara
36) The Antlers
37) The Dead Weather
38) The xx
39) Vieux Farka Touré
40) Vitalic
41) Yeasayer
42) Zoé

Muse is headlining one of the nights. My gut feeling for the other two are Beastie Boys and Pavement. I love Pavement, but I would prefer seeing them get the Pixies slot and just try to catch them on their inevitable West Coast tour.

I wouldn't expect Lady Gaga to play. For the same price that it costs to book her latest show, you could have Tool, GWAR, and the Arcade Fire play back to back to back. You'd get the spectacle, the catchy songs and the bad makeup. Personally, I wouldn't be heartbroken if Gaga plays in the Sahara. She has some fun outfits.

-----------------------------

Here's my now annual boring whining section that's not recommended for those that only care about the lineup.....

I'll probably delete some of these between now and January as I find out that things weren't true or didn't work out, and then people will call me a fraud. People will say that I'm stealing "confirmations" from the Coachella Message Board because someone made a wishlist that said Yeasayer months ago, so that means that they thought of the idea of a band playing the festival first. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I am still on a Sabbatical from posting in the Consequence of Sound comments section, so just a friendly reminder on the same old disclaimer: It's not me. So, while there's the standard internet douches that like using my name on there, this year brings a weirdo who posts as me defending myself. Creepy, a bit, but it's better that they troll me (or fake me or some concept of me) over there than here, right? There is also some aggro dude that's kinda sorta defending me, but mostly just pointing out how much of the Coachella Messsage Board internet stupity has overflown to Consequence of Sound. Alex runs a pretty good site, though.

Last complaint. A few of the message board people are a really self righteous sounding. Internet communities are usually skewed demographics of normal society, but they really could use trying the "eat their own" approach to make things more accessible for outsiders looking for information. They attempt to be informative by offering the same services as Consequence of Sound's Coachella confirmation and rumor section, but every single effort devolves into unreadable garbage. Then they have the brashness to complain in situations such as one of their members finds a Billboard article on Google News that says such-and-such band is playing Coachella and Consequence of Sound posts this found information without citing them as the source instead of the Billboard article. When presented with my makeshift blog and Consequence of Sound's easy layout, is it any doubt why people would choose not to sift through their mess? (And yes, I'm aware that "everything is on the first page". If it was deemed newsworthy enough, stick the thread to the top of the message board, change the title to something similar to "2010 Rumors: Updated Nov 17th", lock the thread, delete all but the first post, and have a moderator update it). Damn, you all frustrate me when I try to figure you out.

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm not for or against CoS by any means, but I'll say this: Last year, they confirmed Paul McCartney as an independent confirmation about a week or so before the lineup dropped. No source to go with it... To recap on everything, they would not have confirmed Paul McCartney unless they were sure it was going to happen.

^THIS^

the Ryan Seacrest lineup confirmed Paul McCartney nearly a week prior to lineup announement also..

the Ryan Seacrest lineup also confirmed acts that CoS hadn't called, and was correct with many of them..

GV issued a press release calling the Ryan Seacrest lineup 'completely wrong'

just sayin...

Cdubby
11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
There's a creepy weirdo on this board who posts as Monklish???

obzen
11-19-2009, 05:09 PM
:eek:

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Interpol is gonna headline a night

:rolleyes

i'd bet a beer at coach that not only will they not headline, but they won't be a sub either.. they'll get bumped down a notch just like Franz Ferdinand did when they played this year..

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I hate to be negative nancy, but that album by Major Lazer is pretty terrible.

i hate to be a fanboy, but their set @ HHM was pretty awesome.

obzen
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
i'd bet a beer at coach that not only will they not headline, but they won't be a sub either.. they'll get bumped down a notch just like Franz Ferdinand did when they played this year..

Aw,now that's doing too much.

PassiveTheory
11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I hope Interpol does headline now just so all you stuffy rat bastards can crowbar your distaste up your gigantic gashes.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

guest-1185
11-19-2009, 05:33 PM
:rolleyes

Done, I'll take this bet if you're serious about it. The terms:

I win if: Interpol are given Headlining or first subheading status for any day (main stage).
You win if: Interpol get anything else any day.

This is obviously void if they don't play this year. And we're going to need to define first subhead. I'd say it would have to be based on what slot they play on the main stage (because I believe we can agree that's where they'd be). I say this in the event that they're third on the poster under a massive act in the Sahara i.e. Daft Punk, Underworld or whatever. But if they're second billing that day I'd obviously win.

PJandBompton
11-19-2009, 05:34 PM
that list will be pretty much accurate IMO...

take out No Age, and no Pavement headlining set...

the Lady Gaga numbers are also HIGHLY exaggerated...no way you can get Tool and Arcade Fire for the price of Gaga...

thirdly, how does it make sense that Interpol would not at least subheadline? they sub'd in 07 and headlined the Forum that year...and you people think PAVEMENT would be billed above them? wow

Monklish
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM

I win if: Interpol are given Headlining or first subheading status for any day (main stage).

This is obviously void if they don't play this year. And we're going to need to define first subhead. I'd say it would have to be based on what slot they play on the main stage (because I believe we can agree that's where they'd be). I say this in the event that they're third on the poster under a massive act in the Sahara i.e. Daft Punk, Underworld or whatever. But if they're second billing that day I'd obviously win.

I'll also take this bet, but I think that we need to amend the rules: the definition of whether or not Interpol is subbing comes with set times. If they play right before the headliner on the mainstage or headline, we win. Poster does not dictate placement--they change the poster for aesthetic reasons.

guest-1185
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
thirdly, how does it make sense that Interpol would not at least subheadline? they sub'd in 07 and headlined the Forum that year...and you people think PAVEMENT would be billed above them? wow

Shhhhhhh. I want a free beer.

guest-1185
11-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I'll also take this bet, but I think that we need to amend the rules: the definition of whether or not Interpol is subbing comes with set times. If they play right before the headliner on the mainstage or headline, we win. Poster does not dictate placement--they change the poster for aesthetic reasons.

Good point.

Aesthetics < Reality

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 05:43 PM

THIS. on the split poster Love & Rockets were billed 2nd and they played Outdoor, so i'll only go into this upon seeing set times.. (we had this same argument this year over Franz and in the end, they were bumped down upon set times being released; and in my mind, one could say that FF was more known and bigger upon their return, wheras Interpol is pretty much the same, at best, popularity/sales wise)

done.

betting is closed and between wes and jeff/randy

& since each of you made a term, so shall I: the free beer must be obtained in the campground.. (which shouldn't be that difficult considering)

betao
11-19-2009, 05:47 PM

^THIS^

the Ryan Seacrest lineup confirmed Paul McCartney nearly a week prior to lineup announement also..

the Ryan Seacrest lineup also confirmed acts that CoS hadn't called, and was correct with many of them..

GV issued a press release calling the Ryan Seacrest lineup 'completely wrong'

just sayin...

What point are you trying to prove with this? Wasn't the R. Seacrest thing just completely bullshit to begin with? What does that have to do with anything?

guest-1185
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
done.

betting is closed and between wes and jeff/randy

Set times it is. *e-handshake*

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
What point are you trying to prove with this? Wasn't the CoS/Monklish lineups just complete bullshit to begin with? What does that have to do with anything?

FIXED, so as to answer your own question..

although i will maintain that the Ryan Seacrest lineup had more CORRECT confirmations than either CoS or Monklish's, despite how many were incorrect.. and correctly predicted several that nobody else did, including late adds..

A_1_B_2
11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that Alex from Consequence of Sound private messaged me and scolded me for saying their site had news at 3pm. I felt like my dad was yelling at me.

Monklish
11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Tell him that Monklish says he's a fucking hack.

suprefan
11-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that Alex from Consequence of Sound private messaged me and scolded me for saying their site had news at 3pm. I felt like my dad was yelling at me.

Well thats what you get for even trying to get attention to yourself.

Cheech and Chong? SB in march, and then Bakersfield a lil after Coachella....

Jan-16 Boulder, CO Macky Auditorium Concert Hall
Jan-22 Indianapolis, IN Murat Theatre
Jan-23 Baltimore, MD Meyerhoff Symphony Hall
Jan-30 Saskatoon, SK TCU Place
Jan-31 Regina, SK Conexus Arts Centre
Feb-11 Bellingham, WA Mount Baker Theatre
Feb-12 Portland, OR Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
Mar-5 Santa Barbara, CA Arlington Theatre
Mar-12 Tampa, FL Tampa Performing Arts Center
Mar-26 Minneapolis, MN State Theatre
Mar-27 Rockford, IL Coronado Performing Arts Center
Apr-03 Ann Arbor, MI Michigan Theater
Apr-09 Louisville, KY Palace Theatre
Apr-10 Washington, DC Warner Theatre
Apr-23 Bakersfield, CA Fox Theatre
Apr-24 Phoenix, AZ Dodge Theatre
Apr-30 Ft. Worth, TX Bass Performance Hall

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 06:05 PM
that's because they're playing 4/20 Fest, which is put on by the same people that put on Smokeout (Guerrilla Union), whom Cheech & Chong JUST played for.. which is also why Snoop isn't playing Coach..

http://www.guerillaunion.com/420harvest/

technically, only Cypress Hill and Snoop are confirmed, but i really doubt GV would be cool with acts playing Coachella & their competition, considering it takes place two days after Coachella and is more or less in the same county (considering GV's stance on acts even having LA dates near the fest).. regardless, Sublime (who followed them), blew them out of the water, i was pretty disappointed with Cheech & Chong's set to be honest, and they were my biggest reason for going..

guest-1185
11-19-2009, 06:07 PM
FIXED, so as to answer your own question..

although i will maintain that the Ryan Seacrest lineup had more CORRECT confirmations than either CoS or Monklish's, despite how many were incorrect.. and correctly predicted several that nobody else did, including late adds..

He was implying that CoS has a certain degree of journalistic integrity to uphold and that being the case, wouldn't post something they didn't feel had an appropriate level of truth to it. Otherwise they risk their credibility and thus could ultimately lose followers.

Seacrest deals in tabloid nonsense. He obviously dumbed his way into a decent list and posted it. I doubt he gives a damn about Coachella but was very interested in the extra traffic to his blog. So it goes.

GeezrRckr
11-19-2009, 06:07 PM

what's his alias?

dorkfish
11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
AxYoung. It's not a huge secret or anything.

GeezrRckr
11-19-2009, 06:10 PM
AxYoung. It's not a huge secret or anything.

thanks....just didn't know.

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 06:13 PM
He was implying that CoS has a certain degree of journalistic integrity to uphold and that being the case, wouldn't post something they didn't feel had an appropriate level of truth to it. Otherwise they risk their credibility and thus could ultimately lose followers.

Seacrest deals in tabloid nonsense. He obviously dumbed his way into a decent list and posted it. I doubt he gives a damn about Coachella but was very interested in the extra traffic to his blog. So it goes.

yeah, i'll give you that about CoS, but that doesn't change the fact that most of their confirmations come directly from this board, and my point was to show that complete bullshit guesses tend to be just as accurate (if not more so)

as far as Seacrest, his assistant got that list from this board also.. but i appreciate you referring to it as a 'decent list' since i'm the one who created it and posted it initially (in the rumors section, mind you) .. i'm not to blame for all that bullshit that transpired later regarding it though..

and i forgot that about AxYoung too..

seandlr
11-19-2009, 06:21 PM
That Seacrest line-up was the highlight of all the speculation going on last year.

betao
11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
yeah, i'll give you that about CoS, but that doesn't change the fact that most of their confirmations come directly from this board, and my point was to show that complete bullshit guesses tend to be just as accurate (if not more so)

as far as Seacrest, his assistant got that list from this board also.. but i appreciate you referring to it as a 'decent list' since i'm the one who created it and posted it initially (in the rumors section, mind you) .. i'm not to blame for all that bullshit that transpired later regarding it though..

and i forgot that about AxYoung too..

Sometimes we beat CoS to the ball, sometimes they beat us. Nearly all of the "confirmations" that both we and CoS link to are just sites on the internet. It's all about who stumbles upon them first. It's not like either of us are making up lists - both this thread (only the first page obviously) and CoS are making confirmed lists based on info we find online. My point was that they confirmed - not heavily rumored about; actually confirmed - Macca before anyone else confirmed it. If you think they confirmed it just because it was a big rumor that made sense and it was cool and all, then you're mistaken. they did it because they learned it from an appropriate source.

point is, CoS isn't "full of shit" like people like to claim. People just seem to hate it because they post the same info that we post here. Right now, nearly all of their confirmations link to sources that we link too. It's not like they're saying "ooh we at CoS were the first and only place to bring you the news!". If they are saying that, then by all means direct me to it.

If you want a bullshit list of names thrown around, look no further than Scoop's threads from last year.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm CERTAIN this is an exercise in futility, but can't we just all agree that Lady Gaga is as obnoxious as any past Britney Spears, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake rumor? Can we just end that speculation?

If you're going to be absolute pop shit with no sort of indie edge, you'd better have fucking Madonna icon status or you're not playing Coachella.

guest-1185
11-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Agreed, signed, stamped, sealed and delivered.

betao
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm CERTAIN this is an exercise in futility, but can't we just all agree that Lady Gaga is as obnoxious as any past Britney Spears, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake rumor? Can we just end that speculation?

If you're going to be absolute pop shit with no sort of indie edge, you'd better have fucking Madonna icon status or you're not playing Coachella.

signed, stamped, approved, agreed, and whatever else needs to be done.

MassiveChemicalPunk
11-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Set times it is. *e-handshake*

This is the easiest beer you'll win in your life.

TommyboyUNM
11-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Antics was mediocre and the last one just sucked except for one song.

Interpol has some of the most unique and interesting melodies I've heard. Our Love to Admire is fucking brilliant. Jesus. You guys hype up artists like Asobi Seksu and Beastie Boys and you think Interpol isn't good?

This is why we can't have nice things.

obzen
11-19-2009, 06:43 PM

http://aceonlineschools.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/approvalstamp1.jpg

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Interpol has some of the most unique and interesting melodies I've heard. Our Love to Admire is fucking brilliant. Jesus. You guys hype up artists like Asobi Seksu and Beastie Boys and you think Interpol isn't good? This is why we can't have nice things.

i'm the 2nd most vocal on here about Asobi, and i wouldn't ever claim they could headline or sub..

that being said, i dont' much care for Beasties anymore, but would admit they would headline anywhere they played..

i'd say Interpol falls somewhere in the middle.. and frankly, subs are usually a household name or 'hot at that moment'.. and as good a band as Interpol is, they're not either.. now if we had HUGE headliners this year, yeah weaker subs could occur, but i don't think that's likely.. i think we'll get smaller headliners but bigger, better subs and i think Interpol will get bumped down by a larger act (ala Franz this year)

for the record, i don't think Interpol isn't good, i'm just being realistic about billing.. i'll watch them if they play, barring conflicts.

Monklish
11-19-2009, 06:46 PM
The real problem with the bet is that I'd have to meet nbvcide in order to collect.

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 06:50 PM
i assumed you would be paw or hang at paw..

unless you're talking about having to meet me to collect the bet haha but that's probably inevitable as we're gonna be hanging out with the same people.. lolz

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Sometimes we beat CoS to the ball, sometimes they beat us. Nearly all of the "confirmations" that both we and CoS link to are just sites on the internet. It's all about who stumbles upon them first. It's not like either of us are making up lists - both this thread (only the first page obviously) and CoS are making confirmed lists based on info we find online. My point was that they confirmed - not heavily rumored about; actually confirmed - Macca before anyone else confirmed it. If you think they confirmed it just because it was a big rumor that made sense and it was cool and all, then you're mistaken. they did it because they learned it from an appropriate source.

If you want a bullshit list of names thrown around, look no further than Scoop's threads from last year.

i agree.. we may first rumor an act that's playing and be like hey look at this over here, but they usually are the first to cite sources confirming, more often than not.. at least with 'real' confirmations, not just obviousness regarding tour dates or talking to a band member..

dorkfish
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I'd say that Interpol has dropped a bit since their last album. It didn't sell nearly as well as their first two. I still think that they are a good draw, and probably would sell the same number of tickets playing the same venues as their 2007 tour, but I don't that they've done enough to climb higher than their last Coachella billing (unless their future album is groundbreakingly fantastic).

TommyboyUNM
11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm not delusional enough to think Interpol is a headliner, though I certainly wouldn't complain.

Monklish
11-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Our Love To Admire dropped off in US sales a little compared to the previous two but worldwide is their highest selling. But you gotta take into account that over album sales for any band have been dropping steadily every year since 2000. Selling 300k in 2007 might very well be equivalent to selling 500k in 2004.

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I'd say that Interpol has dropped a bit since their last album. It didn't sell nearly as well as their first two. I still think that they are a good draw, and probably would sell the same number of tickets playing the same venues as their 2007 tour, but I don't that they've done enough to climb higher than their last Coachella billing (unless their future album is groundbreakingly fantastic).

and with bigger subs in '10 than in '07.......

i really can't see them being billed over a FNM reunion or Blur or Pavement or Muse or maybe Iggy level of sub
(i know Iggy was billed 3rd in '03 when they were a bigger deal but they were billed under White Stripes, and Interpol is no White Stripes (even '03 White Stripes)

Our Love To Admire dropped off in US sales a little compared to the previous two but worldwide is their highest selling. But you gotta take into account that over album sales for any band have been dropping steadily every year since 2000. Selling 300k in 2007 might very well be equivalent to selling 500k in 2004.

nearly word for word of that would describe Franz Ferdinand.. and they were bumped down due to strong sub..

Monklish
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, Franz got bumped due to the combination of the biggest headliner of the weekend and a strong sub I suppose. I don't remember anyone talking about Franz's second album though. They debuted strong, then I don't recall anyone giving a fuck about the follow up, whereas I knew a ton of people that were really, really into Antics.

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
perhaps..

i'm getting thristy for a beer right now though..

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 07:26 PM
the ONLY way they sub is the weak day, likely a Pavement or Muse headline (i could see a Who/Interpol with Orbital or Underworld in the tent possibly though)

Muse/Interpol i really don't see happening .. unless there is a lower billed Daft going on last or something, which could throw a kink in the bet as far as who's headliner and sub based on set times if Daft is billed 3rd but goes on last, is Interpol billed 2nd but going on 3rd to last still a Sub?

but if Daft plays and closes out Main i'd buy you both a beer anyway.. so let's just hope there isn't a Black Star type booking that skewers this..

malcolmjamalawesome
11-19-2009, 07:42 PM
The one thing I don't like about PAW is that the name suggests partying all weekend at Coachella is a novel concept.

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 07:55 PM
i think of it as people who are down to party, which while not exclusive to PAW, certainly doesn't include everyone in the campground.. (or this board)

and after having partied with most of these people, i'd say it's at least party central

MonsieurWinky
11-19-2009, 08:13 PM
so I don't feel like reading through all 88 pages of this thread to know who else has been added to the confirmed list

could anyone who's been keeping up with this thread compile all the confirmed artists up to now?

thanks n_n

MonOm
11-19-2009, 08:15 PM
First Page.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-19-2009, 08:17 PM
so I don't feel like reading through all 88 pages of this thread to know who else has been added to the confirmed list

could anyone who's been keeping up with this thread compile all the confirmed artists up to now?

thanks n_n

And then he turns back again when you TUG ON MONSIEUR WINKY

obzen
11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Ooo.

That's dirty, that.

nbvcide
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
i love how an 18-post noob just pwned a 7-post noob..

we're getting closer & closer every day..

betao
11-19-2009, 08:29 PM
i love how an 18-post noob just pwned a 7-post noob..

we're getting closer & closer every day..

I dont love it. I had money riding on the 7-post guy. Seemed like he had potential.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
7 poster never stood a fucking chance. Didn't have the heart. It's a noob eat noob world out there.

Somewhat Damaged
11-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Interpol has some of the most unique and interesting melodies I've heard. Our Love to Admire is fucking brilliant. Jesus. You guys hype up artists like Asobi Seksu and Beastie Boys and you think Interpol isn't good?

This is why we can't have nice things.

I knew I was friends with you for a reason.

Our Love to Admire was the first Interpol album I bought -- actually, the only one I bought; had the other two uploaded to me -- and there are some incredible tracks on there that I would put up against anything off Turn On the Bright Lights and Antics. "No I in Threesome" and "Rest My Chemistry" were two of my favorite tracks of 2007. I hate that I missed them at Coachella since that was the first and last time I've had a chance to see them so far (although Faithless was fantastic and they'll never come around again, so good decision all the same), but if they were to headline, I'd be there. And after headliners like Jack Johnson and the Killers, you bitches are really going to get your panties wadded up over Interpol?

TommyboyUNM
11-19-2009, 09:17 PM
We haven't seen the last of 7-post guy. I have a keen eye for talent.

TickleMeElmo
11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
betao, I appreciate what's you're doing regarding CoS and I totally agree with you but it's futile to argue with some of the dumb fucks here. People here hate CoS and pretty much any other site that keeps track of artists playing Coachella that isn't the message board. They like to be "first" on everything, get pissed when nobody gives them credit for finding an article THEY DIDN'T FUCKING WRITE and also say shit like, "oh duh, I could've confirmed that weeks ago" but obviously fucking didn't.

BlackSwan
11-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Infodick comparisons on a macro-level.

PassiveTheory
11-19-2009, 11:19 PM
I hate that I missed them at Coachella since that was the first and last time I've had a chance to see them so far (although Faithless was fantastic and they'll never come around again, so good decision all the same)

You and I both. That was the right choice, especially since the Interpol show I saw after Coachella was far less rusty than their Coachella show.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Maybe I need to give Interpol a second chance? they honestly never did anything for me...although I did see them at a KROQ Inland Invasion years ago and they were impressive live (but not enough for me to actually get any albums). I didn't realize that at this point they had the relevance to be considered even close to a subheadliner, let alone a headliner

Boourns
11-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I really enjoyed seeing Interpol at the wiltern in 2004, but their coachella set really disappointed me. Their kind of stage presence is better in dark theaters than massive festivals, and i remember noting that Paul banks voice sounded significantly off.

boyalien0
11-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Whether or not anyone likes Interpol isn't of any importance. Are people actually discussing whether or not Interpol could be a headliner? If you don't realize that Interpol could only BARELY squeak by on the second line, you have no grasp on the current state of music.

nbvcide
11-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Are people actually discussing whether or not Interpol could be a headliner? If you don't realize that Interpol could only BARELY squeak by on the second line, you have no grasp on the current state of music.

no... people are discussing the likelihood of the squeak you mention..

Monklish
11-20-2009, 01:35 AM
I don't understand how Interpol is only a "barely squeak by on the second line" since, y'know, they already played on the second line and all. But I have a question for you guys:

How many US rock bands that've come out since 2000 that fit the Coachella aesthetic (meaning indie rock, stuff like Daughtry or whatever doesn't count) can you guys name that have gotten more press and sold more albums, do you think? They haven't even sold that many, maybe barely 1.5 million over three albums, but I'm just curious. How many others can you guys name?

I mean I can think of The Strokes, The White Stripes, YYYs, Franz Ferdinand I guess, Modest Mouse, Wilco (were they around or known prior to 2000?), Arcade Fire... I dunno, help me out. The Killers, but, y'know, they suck shit. Who else?

sonofhal
11-20-2009, 01:49 AM
You tend to get a lot of press when your brother is the editor of Q magazine and used to work for the NME.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Didn't know that.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Also I realized several of those bands aren't American.

sonofhal
11-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Also, Muse just sold out Wembley Stadium in 10 minutes over here.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Muse I didn't even bother throwing up 'cause they're already confirmed in my mind. Clearly way bigger than Interpol overseas easily, and I'll even go so far as to say that despite me not really liking Muse all that much yet I don't doubt that they should be above Interpol in any setlist just for the scale of the show they seem to put on. But at the same time, their last album didn't sell much more than Interpol's.

My original intention in saying "US rock bands" was more to eliminate British bands from consideration.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 02:01 AM
That being said, last time Muse toured in 2007 they played Verizon in Irvine which is 16000 capacity and Interpol played the Forum at 18000, so it looks like they're about equivalent draws. ::shrug::

dorkfish
11-20-2009, 02:03 AM
I don't understand how Interpol is only a "barely squeak by on the second line" since, y'know, they already played on the second line and all. But I have a question for you guys:

How many US rock bands that've come out since 2000 that fit the Coachella aesthetic (meaning indie rock, stuff like Daughtry or whatever doesn't count) can you guys name that have gotten more press and sold more albums, do you think? They haven't even sold that many, maybe barely 1.5 million over three albums, but I'm just curious. How many others can you guys name?

I mean I can think of The Strokes, The White Stripes, YYYs, Franz Ferdinand I guess, Modest Mouse, Wilco (were they around or known prior to 2000?), Arcade Fire... I dunno, help me out. The Killers, but, y'know, they suck shit. Who else?
Modest Mouse
Wilco
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
The Shins
My Morning Jacket
Muse
Kings of Leon
Arctic Monkeys
The Raconteurs
The Postal Service
Death Cab For Cutie
Gorillaz
TV on the Radio
Metric
Sufjan Stevens
M.I.A.
Sigur Ros

I'm sure that the latter part of my list might lose to Interpol on some of the categories (sales, press, etc), but they're all relatively similar (2nd/3rd line sans Muse and Gorillaz, begrudgingly).

Monklish
11-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Yeah that's about right I'd say. Killers, Muse, Gorillaz (probably), and The White Stripes are all headliner material, of them only the White Stripes are really a solid lock (I mean, Killers too apparently). Aside from that, I don't see any of those bands really ranking as clear bigger draws than Interpol. Raconteurs after another album maybe? It also requires at least three or four albums I'd say to be considered as headliner capable. And I don't even think that Interpol is a headliner--although if this album turned out to be a real crusher and had a single as popular as that fucking Are We Human Or Are We ****** shit, I see no reason why not--I'd say it's crazy to say they're not popular enough to definitely not fall below second place on a set list.

My point is, there aren't too many bands of the last decade that have been much more substantive. A lot of you aren't fans apparently, but for me Interpol is one of the few acts that's spanned the past ten years and felt like something I could hang on to. Turn On was an awesome relief from the age of shit that was the turn of the century. And they were also a welcome hiding place from that pain in the ass wave of The Strokes imitations, not to mention The Strokes themselves. Ugh. Fucking garage rock crap.

sonofhal
11-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Interpol are 50% English born, you know.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 02:13 AM
That explains why they don't suck.

sonofhal
11-20-2009, 02:13 AM
But we can only take credit for the talented half.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 02:14 AM
All I'm saying is they're better than Kings of Leon for fuck's sake.

sonofhal
11-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Most things are.

ficklecycle
11-20-2009, 02:17 AM
But we can only take credit for the talented half.

Wow...

nbvcide
11-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Modest Mouse
Wilco
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
The Shins
My Morning Jacket
Muse
Kings of Leon
Arctic Monkeys
The Raconteurs
The Postal Service
Death Cab For Cutie
Gorillaz
TV on the Radio
Metric
Sufjan Stevens
M.I.A.
Sigur Ros

i think Bloc Party, A Perfect Circle & Coldplay should count..
[EDIT: and Amy Winehouse too]

that's a depressing as fuck list though..

Monklish
11-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Good point on Coldplay, I guess they're the biggest act out of all of those. But then again, they suck too. APC naturally outranks them but sadly they're not available. Also they only had two real albums. Nonetheless there's almost no band I'd rather get reunited. And Bloc Party sure, but they've steadily dropped off in recognition over these last couple albums by a lot.

stephen22
11-20-2009, 07:21 AM
if MUSE does play....as CoS is alreading confirming...they will probably be the Saturday night headliner. Muse is the big KROQ radio band to sell tickets to people outside of the message board.

Muse = Saturday which leaves Sunday open for the return of the Beasties.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
I can not bring myself to imagine how dreadfully boring a Beastie Boys live set would be.

stephen22
11-20-2009, 07:27 AM
I can not bring myself to imagine how dreadfully boring a Beastie Boys live set would be.

the Roo show was non stop...good blend of live playing and rapping over mix master mike.

but then again...I did slam down a few high lifes, a few cups of rum, and smoked a couple bowls.

A_1_B_2
11-20-2009, 08:03 AM
EDIT: Stephen22 beat me to the punch, sorry.

I'm not sure if this exact story has been noted here yet, but I told you he had plans yesterday and he was a little late with his announcement, but Alex and Consequence of Sound finally let out the big news: They are among the first to officially officially OFFICIALLY confirm Muse and note a source and not just "they're touring in April" as their reason. I know its not earthshattering, but it is a headliner confirmation:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/11/20/muse-confirmed-for-coachella-2010/

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Not really a source.

orbit
11-20-2009, 08:13 AM
According to a source with knowledge of the festival’s plans, Muse will serve as a headliner for the Indio, CA event, set to take place from April 16-18.

the unknown source officially confirmed it.

A_1_B_2
11-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Hah true MJA and Orbit. A reliable source close to the festival also told me that Gorillaz are collaborating with David Byrne, so there is yet another official confirmation!

Young blood
11-20-2009, 08:16 AM
the unknown source officially confirmed it.

haha it must be true.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't get it. Are you hilarious?

betao
11-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Well there we go. If Muse headlines, then CoS was the first one to come out and "confirm" it.

If they dont, then CoS was wrong, and you can let 'em have it.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Why you dorks think Muse is a Saturday headliner is beyond me. Unless there's some unusual shift to throwing huge headliners on Friday again like last year, they will be the Friday headliner as they should be. Their last album barely went gold over here. That's not a Saturday headliner.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Maybe a Caturday headliner.

orbit
11-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Well there we go. If Muse headlines, then CoS was the first one to come out and "confirm" it.

actually, monklish also confirmed it a few days ago. i think her source was her 'gut feeling.'

A_1_B_2
11-20-2009, 08:23 AM
I like Consequence of Sound and what they do with their festival confirmations. I have faith in Alex's words, and I know that if anything changes, he'll issue a retraction instead of continuing to lead readers on with unconfirmable information.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I like Consequence of Sound and what they do with their festival confirmations. I have faith in Alex's words, and I know that if anything changes, he'll issue a retraction instead of continuing to lead readers on with unconfirmable information.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7697/hitleryouthposter.jpg

orbit
11-20-2009, 08:28 AM
most people know it's highly likely muse will be headlining one of the nights next year. point is that 'someone who works with the festival told me so' is far from an official confirmation.

Young blood
11-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Why put it out in the first place then? His blog still sucks and I have been telling him that since 05.

Axyoung your blog looks like and is, shit.

CellarOwl
11-20-2009, 08:31 AM
most people know it's highly likely muse will be headlining one of the nights next year. point is that 'someone who works with the festival told me so' is far from an official confirmation.

'I read it on the Coachella board' seems like enough confirmation anyway.

So Bowie's a lock, right?

orbit
11-20-2009, 08:34 AM
not really.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Um... guys... I don't mean to be a dude bringing up Daft Punk... but.... http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/daft-punk/news/166356-daft-punk-for-arena-dates?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Daft Punk will reportedly play live shows in the UK next year.

The French dance duo are famed for their incredible live show and toured festivals in 2007 with their pyramid stage in tow.

Over here DP headlined Wireless in Hyde Park, Rockness in Scotland and Oxegen in Ireland.

Leaked dates- which have not been confirmed by the group- claim the group will play Wembley Arena and Manchester MEN in September 2009 as well as the Dublin O2 the month before.

The last Daft tour saw them play in Robot helmets and leather jackets with a lavish light and lazer show.

It’s claimed they’ll also play other major cities including Paris, Amsterdam and New York next summer.

The group have recorded the soundtrack to Disney’s forthcoming Tron sequel and will also make a cameo appearance in the movie.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Well son of a bitch.

betao
11-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Ugh. Please no Daft Punk.

And I'm done trying to defend CoS from you guys. Seriously, most of you crap on them and hate them just because it seems like the "cool thing to do".

unknown
11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Leaked dates- which have not been confirmed by the group- claim the group will play Wembley Arena and Manchester MEN in September 2009 as well as the Dublin O2 the month before.

I assume they mean 2010.

captncrzy
11-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Geez, Matt. Y so serious?

Monklish
11-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Fuck you with your no Daft Punk, Betao. I fucking hate you assholes.

Seeing as the article is datelined for today, yeah, I guess that's a typo.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 08:54 AM
I struggle with any "no daft punk LIVE" sentiments.

captncrzy
11-20-2009, 08:55 AM

Aren't you the asshole that claimed Alex had news coming out at 3 yesterday?

Yep, that was you.

Stop acting like Alex and Monklish have pulled out some fantastic news. 90-some-odd percent of those that participated in the lineup pool picked Muse as a headliner. It's not some big goddamn revelation.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Some big goddamn black holes and revelation.

betao
11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
No one is treating it like a "revelation". But I'd believe CoS over a majority of people on the board "predicting" that someone will headline.

betao
11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Fuck you with your no Daft Punk, Betao. I fucking hate you assholes.

Seeing as the article is datelined for today, yeah, I guess that's a typo.

I just dont want to deal with all their fans. it'd be treated as "the daft punk festival" and not coachella. It'd be like RAtM in 07.

A_1_B_2
11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Aren't you the asshole that claimed Alex had news coming out at 3 yesterday?

Yep, that was you.

Stop acting like Alex and Monklish have pulled out some fantastic news. 90-some-odd percent of those that participated in the lineup pool picked Muse as a headliner. It's not some big goddamn revelation.

The news was obviously a bit delayed. Also, while everyone only wants to speculate that Muse would play, Consequence is among the first to say, "Let's cut to the chase: They're playing, end of story, now lets move on to the next big pieces of the puzzle."

All hail King Alex.

MassiveChemicalPunk
11-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Matt, come on dude. Wishing for no DAFT is wrong.

Let's wish for no GAGA instead

Young blood
11-20-2009, 09:16 AM
This message is hidden because A_1_B_2 is on your ignore list.

orbit
11-20-2009, 09:17 AM
we need someone with friends at capitol.

betao
11-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Let's wish for no GAGA, but the DAFT is going to be a party!

I'd rather Daft do a US tour (and one that has visits to your backyard, romeo!) instead of play Coachella. Is that better?

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Let's wish for no GAGA instead

Waste of a wish.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
No, actually it's not. Know why? Cause if we don't have a "Daft Punk festival" we might end up with a fucking Killers festival. If we're lucky enough to actually get a good headliner just fucking be happy about it you cunt. I can't believe all you people who seem to care about the crowd GOOD acts will draw.

captncrzy
11-20-2009, 09:22 AM
This message is hidden because A_1_B_2 is on your ignore list.

Good idea.

Also, not that I'm a Monklish fan, she's the one that said first that Muse was headlining (it was on Wednesday I believe)

MassiveChemicalPunk
11-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I'd rather Daft do a US tour (and one that has visits to your backyard, romeo!) instead of play Coachella. Is that better?

The problem is that this won't happen. I will always have to travel to see them.
I would love to see them @ Coachella.

But, I do undestand your point.

nationocean
11-20-2009, 09:25 AM
All hail King Alex.

You sir,

Should set yourself on fire.

Also, you sound like you ARE Alex at this point, and it's getting kinda sad now.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah I know, I'd much rather see Daft Punk at the fucking Sports Arena again than on the majestic polo fields. Dorks.

betao
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
No, actually it's not. Know why? Cause if we don't have a "Daft Punk festival" we might end up with a fucking Killers festival. If we're lucky enough to actually get a good headliner just fucking be happy about it you cunt. I can't believe all you people who seem to care about the crowd GOOD acts will draw.

The problem is that this won't happen. I will always have to travel to see them.
I would love to see them @ Coachella.

But, I do undestand your point.

Yeah I know, I'd much rather see Daft Punk at the fucking Sports Arena again than on the majestic polo fields. Dorks.

Fine, Fine, Fine. You all can have Daft Punk. I'll shut up about it.

summerkid
11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
if this news is true i say they are a lock for coachella.

suprefan
11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
the Roo show was non stop...good blend of live playing and rapping over mix master mike.

but then again...I did slam down a few high lifes, a few cups of rum, and smoked a couple bowls.

Paulb alias. Has to be...

vinylmartyr
11-20-2009, 10:06 AM
We all confirmed Muse 2 months ago. This is getting beyond ridiculous. Thanks COS for confirming what we already knew. When I read that COS was gonna make a big announcement in this thread yesterday a little voice in my head said "COS is gonna confirm Muse". Don't bring that weak bullshit around here and expect not to get hated on. Make a real confirmation or GTFO.

obzen
11-20-2009, 10:15 AM
^
That, all of it.

somebodytoldme
11-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah CoS calling Muse is the equivalent to calling last year's Killers headlining spot. I'm not even impressed with the McCartney confirm from last year that everyone seems to trump when praising them because a lot of people here mentioned it before that. If they called The Cure on top of McCartney, that'd be more impressive although I even remember reading The Cure via anonymous posts on their board.

GeezrRckr
11-20-2009, 10:44 AM
All I'm saying is they're better than Kings of Leon for fuck's sake.

Most things are.

that's refreshing coming from a brit. we all don't understand the KoL lovefest across the pond.

captncrzy
11-20-2009, 10:45 AM
What Jeff said.

obzen
11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
we all don't understand the KoL lovefest across the pond.
Still,I don't understand the lovefest for Muse here.

GeezrRckr
11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Still,I don't understand the lovefest for Muse here.

is there? if so, it's only just *now* happening then. i admit i love them (not so much this last LP though..blech) and that is mostly because i got turned onto them from seeing them live first (pretty much). like i've been saying...i think they will convert some people.

menikmati
11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Daft Punk? Been there, done that...next.

MassiveChemicalPunk
11-20-2009, 11:06 AM

what a cheesy line

menikmati
11-20-2009, 11:09 AM
I wonder how many of you would all be Daft Punk fans if there was no pyramid.

JustSteve
11-20-2009, 11:09 AM
light show monkeys, we are

MassiveChemicalPunk
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM

I would. Been a fan since 97. And I didn't get to see the pyramid.

Boourns
11-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I would. Either Daft Punk Alive CD (no pyramid) or Coachella 2006 bootleg recording (no pyramid) is a guaranteed pick-me-up of awesomeness.

Boourns
11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Um... guys... I don't mean to be a dude bringing up Daft Punk... but.... http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/daft-punk/news/166356-daft-punk-for-arena-dates?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This article is referring to a bunch of joke dates some dork on last.fm put up a while ago, and they include Yankee Stadium, which gave it away as a hoax.
http://www.last.fm/music/Daft+Punk/+events

Gribbz
11-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't give a shit about Daft Punk's pyramid if their music sucked.

A pyramid wouldn't make Connor Oberst's music any better.

menikmati
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Everyone around here seems to hate Human After All, but yet go gaga when they drop the tracks live. Doesn't make sense.

Aphxtwinin
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
how about Amy Winehouse or Jack Johnson in the pyramid

Sokkerkid101
11-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I said this awhile ago but again, the Black Lips most likeley won't be there
I caught them backstage a couple weeks ago and asked them about playing this year and they said they don't plan on it.

Boourns
11-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Everyone around here seems to hate Human After All, but yet go gaga when they drop the tracks live. Doesn't make sense.

I don't. It's "One More Time" that I hate.

CellarOwl
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't give a shit about Daft Punk's pyramid if their music sucked.

A pyramid wouldn't make Connor Oberst's music any better.

Maybe if it collapsed.

MonOm
11-20-2009, 12:06 PM
^This.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-20-2009, 12:25 PM

I thought Human After All, nay, almost all of Daft Punk's library was pretty boring to listen to as individual tracks (repetitive, etc).

That being said, their live set and the mixing of the tracks was masterful and created something that was way more listenable and enjoyable than any of their individual tracks were.

Therefore, it's completely reasonable to be excited about a Daft Punk live set even though you may not dig their studio albums that much. It's no different than a band you don't dig that much on record who completely tweeks their tracks for live performance and give you a different experience.

Boourns
11-20-2009, 12:27 PM
That being said, their live set and the mixing of the tracks was masterful and created something that was way more listenable and enjoyable than any of their individual tracks were.

Exactly. Well said.

RedThom
It's no different than a band you don't dig that much on record who completely tweeks their tracks for live performance and give you a different experience.

that's how I feel about Hot Chip

liquidsnake28
I'd like to echo the "fuck COS, we already knew Muse was confirmed weeks ago" sentiments. Since Muse is kind of a weak headliner especially after this new album, if Daft Punk is the second one, then the third headliner and rest of the lineup would have to be pretty damn good for me to go. Blur or Outkast would do it.

RedThom
11-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd like to echo the "fuck COS, we already knew Muse was confirmed weeks ago" sentiments. Since Muse is kind of a weak headliner especially after this new album, if Daft Punk is the second one, then the third headliner and rest of the lineup would have to be pretty damn good for me to go. Blur or Outkast would do it.

Consequence of Sound steals from this board too much. We should just leak fake information, take one for team internet, and lose credibility to the rest of the web so people leave us to our devices.

..come to think of it that would only give this board 1 possible year of peace...

drag

Cdubby
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I hacked into the Coachella website and found the Coachella 2010 poster

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/2221459/VEGOOSE+2007.jpg

nationocean
11-20-2009, 12:55 PM
umm..

rage patton
11-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Now that was a fucking line up. Great festival.

Jon Blazed
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM

EPIC

MonOm
11-20-2009, 01:01 PM

I jack off to this lineup.

liquidsnake28
11-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Vegoose was really fun. I wish I would have gone the first two years. AC/Superfly, the company that does bonnaroo, also ran this and they seem to have their shit together with roo. I wonder what happened here. They should bring it back.

Jon Blazed
11-20-2009, 01:04 PM
It moved to San Francisco. I bet Outsidelands will pick up Iggy and the Stooges if Coachella doesnt. Or maybe they can just be festival whores this year.

liquidsnake28
11-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Wow, so they really tried to replace Vegoose with OSL? Vegoose's lineups were so much better than OSL's. No comparison.

dorkfish
11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Wow, so they really tried to replace Vegoose with OSL? Vegoose's lineups were so much better than OSL's. No comparison.
Vegoose was bleeding money and couldn't survive and OSL is financially sound, though.

nbvcide
11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Why you dorks think Muse is a Saturday headliner is beyond me. Unless there's some unusual shift to throwing huge headliners on Friday again like last year, they will be the Friday headliner as they should be. Their last album barely went gold over here. That's not a Saturday headliner.

the reason they are having the softer headliner on Saturday's from now on is due to the lower ticket sales on every friday since they became a 3-day.. Bjork was the only day not sold out, JJ's day was the lowest attended of the wknd, and having Macca on Friday this year made it so people were more likely to come all three days (even with a weak saturday headliner) as opposed to just showing up the last two days of the fest like tens of thousands did in '07 & 08.. people aren't gonna come on friday and sunday and then just kick around in their hotel room on saturday.. and more people all three days means higher revenue from food/beer/merch etc..

Monklish
11-20-2009, 03:23 PM
the reason they are having the softer headliner on Saturday's from now on is due to the lower ticket sales on every friday since they became a 3-day.. Bjork was the only day not sold out, JJ's day was the lowest attended of the wknd, and having Macca on Friday this year made it so people were more likely to come all three days (even with a weak saturday headliner) as opposed to just showing up the last two days of the fest like tens of thousands did in '07 & 08.. people aren't gonna come on friday and sunday and then just kick around in their hotel room on saturday.. and more people all three days means higher revenue from food/beer/merch etc..

1 year out of 3 does not make a rule, dipshit. McCartney had gigs in Vegas on Saturday if I recall. Please don't speak on behalf of Goldenvoice as if you fucking know anything.

summerkid
11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
1 year out of 3 does not make a rule, dipshit. McCartney had gigs in Vegas on Saturday if I recall. Please don't speak on behalf of Goldenvoice as if you fucking know anything.

that being said it does make sense to have your biggest act on Friday and your weakest on Saturday.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm not so sure that it does considering that a lot of people physically can't make it out there on Friday night. Most people don't buy 3 day passes.

obzen
11-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I say the strongest act for Sunday,weakest act for Friday.

somebodytoldme
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I say the strongest act for Sunday,weakest act for Friday.

Obzen says, so it must be exactly as he speaks of! :)

summerkid
11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm not so sure that it does considering that a lot of people physically can't make it out there on Friday night. Most people don't buy 3 day passes.

right and people who buy 3 day passes look at the whole lineup so we aren't really talking about them. Since Friday is a more difficult day for people to attend you have to give them extra incentive to go (headliner being extra important here because they might only be able to get out there for a couple acts)

Leeartlee
11-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Your going to have all sorts of fun following the blind. Have fun falling off that cliff.

Gribbz
11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
I think Paul McCartney is stronger than The Cure in terms of headlining.

rage patton
11-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Exactly. By putting the "weakest" headliner on Saturday, and the stronger ones on Friday and Sunday, it will be more on an incentive for people to buy 3 day passes.

Boourns
11-20-2009, 04:11 PM
that being said it does make sense to have your biggest act on Friday and your weakest on Saturday.

It does make sense in the sense that Saturday is the day that's the easiest to attend. Friday means skipping work, and not everyone can or is willing to do this, and if they are, wouldn't they be more choosy? For example, if every concert ticket was as pain in the ass to acquire as Radiohead, I'd probably see one or two shows a year because the level of inconvenience and expense isn't worth it to me for just anyone.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Your perception of 3 day passes is slightly skewed though. They account for a fairly small percentage of the overall tickets released.

Monklish
11-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Or is it the other way around? Oh, fuck it.

nbvcide
11-20-2009, 04:20 PM

not on Main Stage with new material you haven't..

i wasn't there & i've never seen the video of that set, i fell in love with the audio bootleg of Daft Punk @ Coachella..

and in the bootleg, there is no pyramid.

I would. Been a fan since 97. And I didn't get to see the pyramid.

This too.. i remember when 'Around The World' debuted on X103.9..

how about Amy Winehouse or Jack Johnson on the crucifix

FIXED

Monklish
11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
you guys are still basing this on only one year in which Friday has had a strong headliner.

BlackSwan
11-20-2009, 04:22 PM
I think Paul McCartney is stronger than The Cure in terms of headlining.

I agree with this.

nbvcide
11-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Most people don't buy 3 day passes.

ticket sales and the limited amount of single day tickets would say you're wrong..

the only days you could buy single day tickets for up to the day of the fest were Friday in '07 and Friday in '08, which is why you will see more & more Saturday weak headliners.. i feel confident that Muse will be Saturday (although Daft Punk closing Main after Muse would be cool)

somebodytoldme
11-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey remember that really lame argument about the use of the word "the" in regards to bands like (The) Arcade Fire and which was correct? I totally disregarded it but I was wondering if anybody used this as in defense of THE Arcade Fire being correct. Its the 2005 and 2007 Coachella posters:

http://www.merch.com/images/co2.ps.005.jpg

http://www.merch.com/images/co2.ps.007.jpg

It looks like "the" wins.

nbvcide
11-20-2009, 04:30 PM
hmmm.. i would say you're right except they also misspelled Boys Noize on the poster initially.. so while it's not concrete proof, it's certainly strong evidence..

rage patton
11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Or is it the other way around? Oh, fuck it.

Its the other way around. From what I have read, there are 55,000 3 day tickets available. Then 5,000 single day tickets for each day.

GeezrRckr
11-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey remember that really lame argument about the use of the word "the" in regards to bands like (The) Arcade Fire and which was correct? I totally disregarded it but I was wondering if anybody used this as in defense of THE Arcade Fire being correct. Its the 2005 and 2007 Coachella posters:

It looks like "the" wins.

ugh. you just *had* to go (back) there, eh.

obzen
11-20-2009, 04:42 PM
That's just my opinion of how it shoud be.

MissingPerson
11-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Just to conclude so that it doesn't go all weird again, Arcade Fire's "the" is entirely optional and they include it and omit it on a whim. On the EP, for example, the front says "Arcade Fire", the spine says "The Arcade Fire".

The important thing is what's right for you, and what you're comfortable with. Don't let anybody force their lifestyle choices on you.