PDA

View Full Version : Sea Of Dreams NYE 2010

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

GrossMagic
08-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I know its a little while away...But hey, still looking forward to it. Last year was a lot of fun.

I'm sure Bassnectar will come back to this again, he loves playin home turf on NYE.

zimmy1222
08-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I know its a little while away...But hey, still looking forward to it. Last year was a lot of fun.

I'm sure Bassnectar will come back to this again, he loves playin home turf on NYE.

every few years maybe... he won't be at sea of dreams though... not after playing 3 shows in the bay area this year, along with like 10 festivals in the state of california alone...

I'd place him in Colorado with STS9 on new years... that would be the shit... too bad they never play here on new year's...even though they're from my hometown of santa cruz...

But hey, you could be right... and I wouldn't be upset at all... :)

shakermaker113
09-21-2009, 10:33 PM
their website hasn't been updated yet, but there were posters for it all over ********* adversiting the lineup as:

ozomatli
bassnectar
ghostland observatory
glitch mob

ozomatli seems an odd choice, but the rest is solid. after bassnectar's set at ********* I am totally down to start 2010 with some bassnectar.

fikus222
09-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Well, with that line up, they are off to a good start.

My wife and I had fun last year, since last year's undercard wasn't all that intriguing, here's hoping they get some more acts we are interested in. There probably won't be anything else better to do in the Bay though.

GrossMagic
09-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Nice, thanks for that update! Did anyone take a photo of the promo, id love to see it....

BlackSwan
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Ozomatli?

SFChrissy
09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
BTW...Bassnectar took Shaker to outer space!!!

PassiveTheory
09-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey, I might actually be able to go to this! :D

crazzz2007
09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
their website hasn't been updated yet, but there were posters for it all over ********* adversiting the lineup as:

ozomatli
bassnectar
ghostland observatory
glitch mob

ozomatli seems an odd choice, but the rest is solid. after bassnectar's set at ********* I am totally down to start 2010 with some bassnectar.

i'm glad bassnectar is finally getting coachella-board love

shakermaker113
09-22-2009, 08:56 PM
BTW...Bassnectar took Shaker to outer space!!!

again. AGAIN!

fikus222
09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
i'm glad bassnectar is finally getting coachella-board love

Let's just hope that this year he understands that a DJ is responsible for providing a continuous mix, rather than playing 1 song and then treating the venue to dead air while he preaches to the first 2 rows.

This format is not acceptable and a huge drag when all you want to do is dance during your NYE celebration.

zimmy1222
09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Let's just hope that this year he understands that a DJ is responsible for providing a continuous mix, rather than playing 1 song and then treating the venue to dead air while he preaches to the first 2 rows.

This format is not acceptable and a huge drag when all you want to do is dance during your NYE celebration.

um... I'm pretty sure being a dj does not consist of a standard set of rules and responsibilities. His ranting hasn't affected ticket sales yet, so why would he stop? The man is an activist and he uses his music and popularity from it as a podium to speak what's on his mind and express how he feels. Sure we all want to dance, but when he talks, people listen. Simple as that. Obviously, he's aware of that also. I've seen Lorin spin 13 times now, and the longest I've heard him talk was in Santa Cruz (where he's from), And that was 3 or 4 minutes tops (his rant was about UCSC getting funding cut for their communications studies and what we could do to prevent it, with ALL the house lights on... try that on mushrooms..ha!) . Anything else that was said was 3 seconds to say one quick sentence.

So,
1) you're exaggerating.
2) if you don't like it so much, then why watch? I'm sure he'll do just fine without you...

Young blood
09-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Ill be sure to check out his rant one of 476 times he is in town next month.

fikus222
09-23-2009, 08:38 AM
um... I'm pretty sure being a dj does not consist of a standard set of rules and responsibilities. His ranting hasn't affected ticket sales yet, so why would he stop? The man is an activist and he uses his music and popularity from it as a podium to speak what's on his mind and express how he feels. Sure we all want to dance, but when he talks, people listen. Simple as that. Obviously, he's aware of that also. I've seen Lorin spin 13 times now, and the longest I've heard him talk was in Santa Cruz (where he's from), And that was 3 or 4 minutes tops (his rant was about UCSC getting funding cut for their communications studies and what we could do to prevent it, with ALL the house lights on... try that on mushrooms..ha!) . Anything else that was said was 3 seconds to say one quick sentence.

So,
1) you're exaggerating.
2) if you don't like it so much, then why watch? I'm sure he'll do just fine without you...

:blah

At last year's event he literally stopped after every single song, which was a total drag and it ruined the vibe/momentum built up by the previous performers. It's a NYE party, nobodys really all that interested in being subjected to some DJs half baked notions and political commentary.

zimmy1222
09-23-2009, 12:06 PM

At last year's event he literally stopped after every single song, which was a total drag and it ruined the vibe/momentum built up by the previous performers. It's a NYE party, nobodys really all that interested in being subjected to some DJs half baked notions and political commentary.

No one is forcing you to listen... I don't care how many "half baked notions" he has, his set is worth it. Hasn't bothered me yet, and it probably won't.

fikus222
09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
No one is forcing you to listen... I don't care how many "half baked notions" he has, his set is worth it. Hasn't bothered me yet, and it probably won't.

All I'm saying is that I hope this year's set doesn't turn out to be another "Tea Party."

zimmy1222
09-23-2009, 12:47 PM
All I'm saying is that I hope this year's set doesn't turn out to be another "Tea Party."

I can agree with that. We all just really wanna hear music anyways.

crazzz2007
09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

you must have been on some strange trip. the party didn't really start until bassnectar came on. and he didn't stop after every single song. he stopped maybe twice. and it really was an amazing set. very different from what he had been spinning around that time.

Bud Luster
09-23-2009, 01:39 PM

So,
1) you're exaggerating.

Being a DJ does consist of one standard rule. ROCK. THE. FUCKING. PARTY. If your ranting (even one or two sentences) interferes with that then you arent doing your job.

EDIT* Im digging the lineup so far. Ozo is so-so, but they can be fun.

fikus222
09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
... it really was an amazing set. very different from what he had been spinning around that time.

His track selection was brilliant and I really enjoyed the mash-up he spun, I can't recall what it was right now...paper planes and something else, maybe?

Edit:

I'm pretty sure it was a MIA/Fugees mash up, it was surprisingly good.

BlackSwan
10-12-2009, 03:59 PM
http://eventbrite-s3.s3.amazonaws.com/eventlogos/2294264/initialwebflyerfmall.jpg

gmoneyak
10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Discounted tix on Wednesday, I wander how much they'll be this year..

zimmy1222
10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
under 50 would be nice... but that's wishful thinking.

gmoneyak
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't remember them being that pricey last year, maybe 75 bucks? I wonder what kind of discount we're talking.

I'm really thinking about going regardless.

fikus222
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, Sea of Dreams was definitely the best option for NYE in the Bay last year. I wonder if that will hold true this year too? If so I'd really like to get in on those discounted tix.

GrossMagic
10-12-2009, 04:53 PM
wow stoked for this again!

CrimesceneCookie
10-12-2009, 05:10 PM
anything is better than Thievery Corporation.
I would have gone last year if it weren't for them. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are there usually multiple stages at this?

jackstraw94086
Being a DJ does consist of one standard rule. ROCK. THE. FUCKING. PARTY. If your ranting (even one or two sentences) interferes with that then you arent doing your job.

EDIT* Im digging the lineup so far. Ozo is so-so, but they can be fun.

You forgot the corrolaries to that one DJ rule, which are "LOOK. FLY." and "PULL. BITCHES."

But zimmy1222's is right in that Lorin's not necessarily violating your "rule". I seriously doubt his rants have lost him many fans, and if he can get away with it then more power to him. I can't stand it either, but I'll tolerate it because it's worth it. Who knows, maybe a few people are inspired by his rants. Most importantly I hope he himself is.

It's well within your power to going if it ruins your evening. The fact that you keep going means he seems to be conforming to your "rule".

nbvcide
wow.. i think i just discovered my NYE plans..

jackstraw94086
10-12-2009, 05:12 PM
anything is better than Thievery Corporation.
I would have gone last year if it weren't for them. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are there usually multiple stages at this?

There's usually 3 music areas. But who knows this year. There is guaranteed at least 2.

CrimesceneCookie
10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
thanks that helps.
just don't want to be a captive audience to ozomatli if I'm in the mood for dance.
and Ghostland is fun but the novelty is wearing off a bit after the 3rd time.

jackstraw94086
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
thanks that helps.
just don't want to be a captive audience to ozomatli if I'm in the mood for dance.
and Ghostland is fun but the novelty is wearing off a bit after the 3rd time.

my guess woudl be yard dogs/ghostland/ozo in the main hall and rab/marty party/bitch mob/lorin in the middle hall.

probably some smaller local acts or some freaky circus nonsense in the front of the building.

fikus222
10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
When: Friday, December 31, 2009 from 9pm-5am
Where: The Concourse Center, 635 8th Street, San Francisco
General info: www.seaofdreamsnye.com
Organizers: anonEvents, Sunset Promotions, an-ten-nae presents
Press contact: Kelly Edwards, press@sunsetpromotions.net
Sponsorship info: info@sunsetpromotions.net
Admissions: 18+ Admitted
Tickets : On-sale Wednessday October 14, 10am PDT online at www.seaofdreamsnye.com
instore Tickets: To be announced soon
Vip experience: Sea of Dreams VIP’s will enjoy complementary hors d'oeuvres, exclusive viewing areas, exclusive bars, a limited edition “Sea of Dreams” Poster and a hosted champagne offering to be announced

anonEvents, Sunset Promotions, and An-ten-nae Presents have joined forces for the 10thSea of Dreams. 3-time Grammy Award winning latin-hip-hop superstars Ozomatli will play an exclusive 2-hour set; their first San Francisco performance in more than a year. After a year of national triumph, the locally grown electronic phenomenon known as Bassnectar, returns home for his 8thSea of Dreams. Additional star power comes from Austin Tx. live electronic duo Ghostland Observatory, L.A. production trio The Glitch Mob and Bay Area nouveau-vaudeville stars Yard Dogs Road Show. DJ performances by emerging stars Marty Party (of Panty Raid), Random Rab, An-Ten-Nae and Motion Potion are just a few of the many other highlights of a lineup that is sure to grow even more elaborate over the coming weeks. Anniversary celebration of the Bay Area’s most elaborate and decadent New Years Eve experience, appearance at

anonEvents will again transform the Concourse Center into a multi-stage, multi-environment undersea fantasyland, complete with multiple sound-systems, cabaret performers, circus performers, aerialists, contortionists, balloon drops, confetti cannons and over 50 massive pieces of inflatable art. After the overwhelming success of Sea of Dreams 2009, the event will be prepared for an even bigger audience with enhanced staffing, VIP hosts, and expert ticketing and box office support provided by Eventbrite and Metrowize.

A limited number of early-bird discount tickets go on sale on Wednesday, October 13 at www.seaofdreamsnye.com and at in-store outlets to be announced. Additional information can be found at www.seaofdreamsnye.com.

http://seaofdreams.eventbrite.com/

jackstraw94086
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
the event will be prepared for an even bigger audience with enhanced staffing

ya for fucks sake. Last year was a complete and total clusterfuck.

BlackSwan
10-12-2009, 05:40 PM
The people working the will call table were complete douchebaskets.

jackstraw94086
10-12-2009, 05:44 PM
The people working the will call table were complete douchebaskets.

The understaffing was only one issue. They didn't organize the line in for fuck all. It was just one big idiotic mass with some pockets moving and others stuck outside for hours.

Lots of refunds were given.

nbvcide
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Yard Dogs Road Show is soooo much better than anything you can expect..

shakermaker113
10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
everyone do yourselves a favor and don't get tickets at will call.

fikus222
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Today I received an email stating that since I attended last year's event I am entitled to a $10 discount effective from today until tomorrow when regular tix go on sale. The problem is, there isn't a way to purchase tickets yet and they don't even say what the regular price is that the $10 is off of.

BlackSwan
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
There are a couple other shows announced for NYE so far...

The Roots at the Warfield
Brett Dennen with ALO and SambaDa at the Fox Theater

...I know when I think wild New Year's Eve, I think Brett Dennen.

Ardentbiscuit
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I could just imagine how exciting the NYE countdown would be with Brett Dennon. :rotfl

What about that one at Club Nokia with Chromeo??

Chromeo
with Peanut Butter Wolf, VEGA, and Gaslamp Killer

Date: Thu, Dec 31, 2009
Showtime: 9:30 PM
Days until show: 79
Doors open: 8:00 PM
Ages: All Ages
On sale: Fri, Oct 16, 2009 10AM
Ticket Prices*: $45.00-$60.00 VIP

BlackSwan
10-13-2009, 11:56 AM
That's in LA.

jackstraw94086
10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Today I received an email stating that since I attended last year's event I am entitled to a $10 discount effective from today until tomorrow when regular tix go on sale. The problem is, there isn't a way to purchase tickets yet and they don't even say what the regular price is that the $10 is off of.

http://seaofdreamspresale.eventbrite.com/

Did you get the password in the email?

tix are $75

zimmy1222
10-13-2009, 01:33 PM
if you apply the discount code they're $69.57 after fees.

zimmy1222
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
i'm not going to be able to buy this presale stuff..anyone want the password?

fikus222
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
http://seaofdreamspresale.eventbrite.com/

Did you get the password in the email?

tix are $75

(I had received the email before they updated their site)

if you apply the discount code they're $69.57 after fees.

Hmm, not too bad, but it's hard to commit to this event before I know what else is going on in the bay.

There are a couple other shows announced for NYE so far...

The Roots at the Warfield
Brett Dennen with ALO and SambaDa at the Fox Theater

...I know when I think wild New Year's Eve, I think Brett Dennen.

It's good that we are starting to eliminate venues that might have something better going on. I wonder what the Fillmore has planned? Last year it was a 2 day run of the Butthole Surfers.

BlackSwan
10-13-2009, 03:51 PM
It's good that we are starting to eliminate venues that might have something better going on. I wonder what the Fillmore has planned? Last year it was a 2 day run of the Butthole Surfers.

The Fillmore has Les Claypool. I got great tickets for The Roots show when they went on sale so I think I am going to end up there.

Ardentbiscuit
10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
That's in LA.

Sorry when I think of NYE I consider all of the CA coast and Vegas within striking range.

fikus222
10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
The Fillmore has Les Claypool. I got great tickets for The Roots show when they went on sale so I think I am going to end up there.

I have always wanted to go to one of Les' NYE shows, alas my wife hates his voice with a passion. That doesn't leave that many more venues to rule out.

jackstraw94086
10-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I have always wanted to go to one of Les' NYE shows, alas my wife hates his voice with a passion. That doesn't leave that many more venues to rule out.

there aren't really any other event in SF with the production value of SOD, and you get a mix of live and EDM. If you're more into EDM there's a few other good smaller shows.

fikus222
10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
there aren't really any other event in SF with the production value of SOD, and you get a mix of live and EDM. If you're more into EDM there's a few other good smaller shows.

What other smaller shows are you referring to?

nbvcide
10-13-2009, 07:08 PM

sure!

rage patton
10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't know where to ask this, so I am going to ask this here.

Does anybody know of anything good going on in LA on NYE?

emtgreg
10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
tao

hard

lulz

rage patton
10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
What is TAO?

I know Hard has Boys Noize playing... but that doesn't really interest me.

emtgreg
10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
It is a Massive:

http://newyearsevela.com/2010/preview/index.html

It is done by Go Ventures and Insomniac, so all the Fail that is Monster Massive (sorry guys, but yeah) and all the win that is EDC/Nocturnal...

It is hit and miss, sometimes awesome, sometimes not...

We should know a lineup shortly after Halloween...

CrimesceneCookie
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
tao

hard

lulz

he said anything good

rage patton
10-13-2009, 07:24 PM
So all the NYE events will probably be anounced after Halloween eh? Shit. I have to be in LA for January 2nd, and Im trying to decide if it will be worth it to head out early for NYE in LA. I just found a really good deal on flights, so I was hoping to decide sometime this week. Thanks for the help.

shakermaker113
10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
you're concerned that there might be nothing worthwhile to do in LA on new years eve?

rage patton
10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Basically, yes. Well, I am on a budget. Im sure Hard and TAO would be fun... but not sure if it would be worth the extra money.

gmoneyak
10-13-2009, 08:23 PM

I would as well..

GrossMagic
10-13-2009, 08:25 PM
password is - tidalwave

link to tickets - http://seaofdreams.eventbrite.com/

gmoneyak
10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanx.

zimmy1222
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Stanton Warriors are playing @ the Mighty for 20 bucks on New Years... considering my lack of funds, that's looking for the best bet for under 40...

at least it's some good breakbeats on a bumpin system.

crazzz2007
10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know where to ask this, so I am going to ask this here.

Does anybody know of anything good going on in LA on NYE?

unfortunately the NYE scene in LA has been stale the past few years.

CrimesceneCookie
10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
space island will probably throw a nice LA micro party, but it's dubstep infested now (used to be all breaks), if you're into that sort of thing.

klosier
10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
is anyone else not in need of their discount code? because i would sure appreciate some savings.

jackstraw94086
10-14-2009, 04:54 PM
The discount only applied to presales, which are now over.

gmoneyak
10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Well, got my tix already.. I'm flying my girl in from PHX for this.

Now I just need to hook up with somewhere to crash.

Should be an awesome night.

zimmy1222
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
This will be... the best party on new years for many new years to come.. Cannot wait. : )

shakermaker113
10-25-2009, 09:44 PM
can we get a roll call?? who is going? so far I note nbvcide, zimmy, gmoneyak and myself. though I haven't bought a ticket yet. I was going to wait until they are on sale in stores so I don't need to deal with will call. daft fro are you still down for this?

crazzz2007
10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
This will be... the best party on new years for many new years to come.. Cannot wait. : )

this is a huge over-exaggeration. it's just a NYE party.

chiapet
10-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Is the Concourse really OK for electronic shows? I've mostly been there for rock and it was terrible as a venue. The only reason I'm on the fence for Sea of Dreams is because of that.

fikus222
10-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Is the Concourse really OK for electronic shows? I've mostly been there for rock and it was terrible as a venue. The only reason I'm on the fence for Sea of Dreams is because of that.

It was fine last year. Also, I have been to a couple raves there and I saw Thievery Corporation there in '06 and I haven't experienced the sound issues that people speak of.

nbvcide
10-25-2009, 10:53 PM
can we get a roll call?? who is going? so far I note nbvcide, zimmy, gmoneyak and myself. daft fro are you still down for this?

Hells yeah!!! i can't wait.. :D

matt! ed! talk alex into this for sure!

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
this is a huge over-exaggeration. it's just a NYE party.

How about, it will be the best new years party one has been to yet... ?

you should go... prove yourself wrong. ; )

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 08:52 AM

The only concern for me was if you want to enter the main pit area in the main room, you have to come from the back, which is pretty far away if you want to get close... and it will be two or more stages so it will be spread out.. i went Sea of Dreams 06/07 and I enjoyed myself a lot...

It was a little crowded, but with Tipper, String Cheese Incident, and Bassnectar in one night... it was to be expected...

chiapet
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Ah good point about the multiple stages. I've only been there for more rock oriented shows where there was one stage... as you mentioned, the main area is railed in, and trying to get near the front (or trying to find anyone in that area) was difficult. The sound was really horrible too though I've heard it wasn't so much an issue for electronic performances.

Daft Fro
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
My NYE is still up in the air..., but dammit, if this doesn't sound like a way into a new decade...

Whats the capacity for this event? Did it sellout last year?

jackstraw94086
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
12/31/09 is not the end of the decade. 12/31/10 is.

Devin the Dude
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Ghostland has tempted me. now it's up to fate to decide if i will spend New Year's with Boys Noize or Bassnectar. hmm decisions..

chiapet
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
12/31/09 is not the end of the decade. 12/31/10 is.

How do you figure? When people speak of decades, ie, 50's, 60's, 70's, it's generally assumed they mean years X0-X9, not encompassing the X0 year of the next decade, ie, you wouldn't something that happened in 1970 occurred in the decade of the 60's.

jackstraw94086
10-26-2009, 12:06 PM
How do you figure? When people speak of decades, ie, 50's, 60's, 70's, it's generally assumed they mean years X0-X9, not encompassing the X0 year of the next decade, ie, you wouldn't something that happened in 1970 occurred in the decade of the 60's.

That's just completely wrong. The "sixties" is an era, or abstract in the context you're using it. 1970 was in fact part of the decade that started in 1961.

A decade starts with year 1, not year 0. (i.e. theoretically jesus was born in year 1, not year zero). In 2009 we have completed 2008 full years and are in the 2009th. 12/31/99 is the completion of the 2009th year.

We've all been through this when everyone pointed out that 12/31/99 was not the end of the millenium.

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Hm... that's confusing... and really quite irrelevant.

Alex and Dev, you know what you should do... dooo it.

chiapet
10-26-2009, 12:34 PM
That's just completely wrong. The "sixties" is an era, or abstract in the context you're using it. 1970 was in fact part of the decade that started in 1961.

A decade starts with year 1, not year 0. (i.e. theoretically jesus was born in year 1, not year zero). In 2009 we have completed 2008 full years and are in the 2009th. 12/31/99 is the completion of the 2009th year.

We've all been through this when everyone pointed out that 12/31/99 was not the end of the millenium.

Interestingly all the definitions I've just consulted either state that it's any ten years and not specifically 1-10, or that it is generally 0-9.

I understand when the millennium begins and ends but don't think your argument extends logically to decade.

fikus222
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I understand when the millennium begins and ends but don't think your argument extends logically to decade.

Agreed, it's quite the stretch to say 1970 was part of the 6 - (insert number here)'s.

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
regardless of all that, this makes a decade of Sea of Dreams... 10 year anniversary party FTW!

jackstraw94086
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM

That you would concede the point about the millenium but not a decade is truly perplexing.

The fact of the matter is we have completed 200 full decades (in the common calendar) so far and are in the 9th year of the 201st.
It doesn't matter if aesthetically you don't like the fact that 1970th year was part of the sixties.

nbvcide
10-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Ghostland has tempted me. now it's up to fate to decide if i will spend New Year's with Boys Noize or Bassnectar. hmm decisions..

Boys Noize tempted me too, but i can catch him at the next Hard show or Coach prob.. this Sea of Dreams combines some of the best of Symbi with what i missed at Coach (was watching Cohen)..

chiapet
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I guess I will be glad to celebrate the new decade on 12/31/2009 with everyone except for jackstraw then :)

gmoneyak
10-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't give a fuck what year we're celebrating, this is going to be a damn good time..

I've already booked a room at the Hilton Union Square, so If anybody is down for a lil' pre-party meet and greet in the area, let me know. I was planning on cabbing it to the event from there anyways.

nbvcide
10-26-2009, 05:45 PM
i'm always down for meetups and pre-parties..

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 05:56 PM
It's going to be so chaotic around Union Square on that day (it already is on any random day)... might be hard to find parking...

chiapet
10-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I've already booked a room at the Hilton Union Square, so If anybody is down for a lil' pre-party meet and greet in the area, let me know. I was planning on cabbing it to the event from there anyways.

That's a good location for hotels for this venue (ie, there is nothing closer that is not in a sketchy neighborhood). Cab is your best bet, although Muni is FREE and runs later than usual (4AM?) for New Year's Eve, in addition to the normal all night lines. There is a bus stop right next to the venue, though it goes more towards the tenderloin. ;)

chiapet
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
i'm always down for meetups and pre-parties..

If I go to this, I was considering just going to the Mars Bar before hand, though probably thousands of other people will have the same idea. (It's right across from the venue, decent bar food, pool table, outdoor heated patio that is OK in december provided it's not raining).

shakermaker113
10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
this is going to be so much fun.

gmoneyak
10-26-2009, 06:11 PM
That's a good location for hotels for this venue (ie, there is nothing closer that is not in a sketchy neighborhood). Cab is your best bet, although Muni is FREE and runs later than usual (4AM?) for New Year's Eve, in addition to the normal all night lines. There is a bus stop right next to the venue, though it goes more towards the tenderloin. ;)

Yeah.. That's true, but it's really only about about 1 1/2 miles to the Concourse Center so it shouldn't be too bad of a cab fare.

Parking might be a bitch around Union Square, unless we all meet up early. I'm going to be getting into town in the morning, so I'm down for whatever. :)

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
cool... i'm liking these ideas.. hopefully some will be put into conformation and action as this gets closer...

shakermaker113
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
If I go to this, I was considering just going to the Mars Bar before hand, though probably thousands of other people will have the same idea. (It's right across from the venue, decent bar food, pool table, outdoor heated patio that is OK in december provided it's not raining).

is that what that place is called??

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Might be a good place to get a gin n tonic right before... although, knowing my group of friends... we'll be rushed to just get their at a decent time

chiapet
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Parking is always a mess by Union Square. Why drive? It will be crazy expensive for NYE.

Yea, cab ride from the venue to that hotel "should" take like 5 min and be ~$7. Cab ride from point A to point B downtown is almost always $7. :)

shaker, ya, I used to work at 8th & townsend, we spent way too much time in that bar. Until they suggested we not come back.

zimmy don't worry, nothing starts on time in SF.

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 06:34 PM
This is true... but this line up is so full of artists i want to see that I have a feeling i'll want to be there early..

shakermaker113
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
My NYE is still up in the air..., but dammit, if this doesn't sound like a way into a new decade...

Whats the capacity for this event? Did it sellout last year?

c'mon, I gotta rock the new year with you!

I don't think it sold out last year. capacity's a few thousand? not sure exactly.

SDsoldier7
10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
just took a glance at the line-up....

ill be there.

chiapet
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I believe if they open up the entire building, the capacity is > 10,000. I've only been there for shows where one area was opened though (3000-4000).

fikus222
10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I believe if they open up the entire building, the capacity is > 10,000. I've only been there for shows where one area was opened though (3000-4000).

Close, its capacity for events such as this is around 7k.

http://www.sfvenues.com/concourse/overview.html

Edit:

Hmm, I guess they were able to get close to 8k in there last year. Though, it certainly didn't feel that crowded in there.

gmoneyak
10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, it looks pretty spacious..

Here are a couple random pics from last year, it looks like a shot of at least 2 of the stages;

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gmoneyak2/seaofdreams0901.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gmoneyak2/seaofdreams0902.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gmoneyak2/seaofdreams0903-1.jpg

fikus222
10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
On the left of the soundboard in the bottom pic was where my wife and I spent most of the night last year. We had plenty of room to dance and were able to go back and forth from the bar to our spot with no difficulties.

The main floor actually has multiple stairs that let you into the floor area along its whole length, which really came in handy for the Thievery Corporation in '06 (we ended up 10 feet from the stage).

gmoneyak
10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Different perspective;
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/3157034377_42c9ccfac4.jpg?v=0

fikus222
10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure if the balcony was open last year (if so, it may have been for VIPs). In the past, the raves I went to there had the 21+ area up in that balcony.

gmoneyak
10-26-2009, 10:23 PM
"Exclusive Viewing Areas".. could be.

I'm getting way too stoked for this and we still have a good 2 months to wait.

I like the new poster design , btw.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gmoneyak2/seaofdreamsposter2010.jpg

nbvcide
10-26-2009, 10:35 PM
just took a glance at the line-up....
ill be there.

WHOOP WHOOP!!

nbvcide
10-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Different perspective;
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/3157034377_42c9ccfac4.jpg?v=0

is that a pair of legs floating without a body??

zimmy1222
10-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Good job Darryl... I expected nothing less...

Dev... i know you're all giddy in the Hard nye thread.. but I just have to tell you, my girlfriend will be very disappointed if you aren't at Sea of Dreams. She cried, just a little. When i told her you weren't going. A little piece of her died... she can speak for everyone that you should really go to this.

Not to make you feel bad or anything....

crazzz2007
10-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure if the balcony was open last year (if so, it may have been for VIPs). In the past, the raves I went to there had the 21+ area up in that balcony.

Ya, last year the VIP area was up there. I'm sure it'll be the same this year.

SDsoldier7
10-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Good job Darryl... I expected nothing less...

thanks for giving me the heads up on FB. this is mos definately my type of crowd and line up. hopefully the party is 21 +

Random Rab is going to destroy it. Ozomatli looks a little odd on the flier considering that most of the other acts are relatively still underground. No problem with that though, i think Ozomatli will bring a nice balance.

so is this "the" premier party in the bay area? just wonderin....

shakermaker113
10-27-2009, 08:11 AM
"Exclusive Viewing Areas".. could be.

I'm getting way too stoked for this and we still have a good 2 months to wait.

I like the new poster design , btw.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gmoneyak2/seaofdreamsposter2010.jpg

that looks beautiful, all except for the "legasea" part. wtf?

zimmy1222
10-27-2009, 08:16 AM
so is this "the" premier party in the bay area? just wonderin....

It will probably be the most expensive one and the one with the most production...the most elaborate perhaps.

chiapet
10-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow, those pictures are great. That sort of changes my attitude about this being at the Concourse.

fikus, the entire concourse building is pretty big, but most of the areas away from the main floor have been closed for the events I've been to (events with one stage where it didn't make sense to open up areas where you couldn't see the stage). It's been a long time since I've been there in daylight but I remember there being over 2x the area that is normally open for rock shows there, since the entire length of the "main" floor can be either opened or blocked off.

chiapet
10-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Okay, for perspective on the size of the venue, the length of the building takes up an entire block (brannan between 7th & 8th). The width of the building is about 1/3 of a block.

fikus222
10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Last year Sea of Dreams said they had around 8k in attendance. However, while you're in there the Concourse definitely feels spacious. Last year they did a good job of filling the in between spaces with interesting art installations and booths. The bar lines were manageable (by 1245-100 am they had run out of most of their hard alcohol though), the bathroom lines were fine, which was prolly due to the fact that they had a large outdoor area with many port 'o potties. The only place that felt tight was the smallest stage, which was located closest to the entry.

chiapet
10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm really having trouble picturing this setup. I'm probably going to go, checking to see if I can convince any friends to go with me.

Anyone have an idea when in-store tickets will go on sale?

jackstraw94086
10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't give a fuck what year we're celebrating, this is going to be a damn good time..

ya there's gonna be tons of cabs available on new years eve. It takes like what 5-6 minutes to drive from union square to the concourse? Just flag down a cab 10 minutes before you want to get there to be safe. Better yet you should CALL one. Then they'll show up at the exact moment you want it and you're golden. easy-peasy-japanesey

chiapet
10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Calling cabs here is pretty pointless unless you're in a really isolated area. You can always flag a cab in less time than it takes to wait for them to dispatch one. And they don't take time specific calls. Not as a general rule and especially not on NYE.

However, it would be well worth a small tip to get your hotel's valet to call you a cab. I do that even though I'm not a hotel guest if I'm having trouble finding a cab and I'm near a hotel.

zimmy1222
10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Calling cabs here is pretty pointless unless you're in a really isolated area. You can always flag a cab in less time than it takes to wait for them to dispatch one. And they don't take time specific calls. Not as a general rule and especially not on NYE.

However, it would be well worth a small tip to get your hotel's valet to call you a cab. I do that even though I'm not a hotel guest if I'm having trouble finding a cab and I'm near a hotel.

At the hilton in the financial district they had a man designated to hail a cab for you... i'm sure they'll have something similar over there.

jackstraw94086
10-27-2009, 04:08 PM

I've seen the hotel cab stands on NYE and have had friends experience them. You're likely in a long line, and tons of people will be poaching cabs as they approach anyway. There's almost no incentive for a cab to waste his time lining up in front of a hotel.

chiapet
10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
whatever, Jack, you're always right, I get it. I'll back out and let you continue being an ass in this thread.

shakermaker113
10-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm having trouble picturing the setup too. they have an outside area?

fikus222
10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm having trouble picturing the setup too. they have an outside area?

No music, just a largish fenced in area alongside the building with port 'o potties and smokers :)

fikus222
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Alrighty here is a little tour (I hope it helps):

Entrance:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3518/4052074004_643139a20e.jpg

End of main floor closest to the entrance:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2596/4051324067_79f00302c0.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/3157335192_10c81c0dd3.jpg

Main stage all aglow:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2773/4051305449_77bed3dd9a.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3158294473_e8465296e4.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this was the 2nd Stage:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2607/4051334803_732a5a5d1d.jpg

I don't remember if the Main and 2nd stages were back to back or if the 2nd stage pointed into the back of the main stage.

The Bars and booths were a half flight of stairs up from the main floor area and beneath the second deck. The doors that lead outside are also located around there as well.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/Sea%20of%20Dreams.jpg

gmoneyak
10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
ya there's gonna be tons of cabs available on new years eve. It takes like what 5-6 minutes to drive from union square to the concourse? Just flag down a cab 10 minutes before you want to get there to be safe. Better yet you should CALL one. Then they'll show up at the exact moment you want it and you're golden. easy-peasy-japanesey

Thanks guys.. I really have no concerns about snagging a cab, I haven't even considered it an issue. I'm going to be bouncing around Union Square mid-afternoon as is, and knowing how bougie some of that area is, I doubt I'll have a problem. I'll make my way towards Market St and catch a ride over to the Mars Bar early.

Even before that, I was probably going to cruise over to Haight and catch some lunch at Escape From NY Pizza before I check into the hotel. :) Love that place.

nbvcide
10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
holy shit i'm soo excited for this!!!! this is miles better than anything so far announced for NYE in LA

zimmy1222
10-27-2009, 10:31 PM
this is miles better than anything so far announced for NYE in LA

quite true quite true...

Anon events puts on little events with local dj's to satisfy their clique and get their close friends to show up...this is the one show that they put on that blows anything else out of the water... and everyone shows up (hence 8k+ capacity...expect more this year)

Last year, an-ten-nae put on his own nye show @ 1015 folsom... the big question at all the events leading up to it was... "what's it gonna be, 1015 or sea of dreams?"

now we don't have to choose, whammy!!!

From what I remember (at least in 06/07) the main stage was closest to the entrance, and the other two stages were lined up behind it...

hangthedj112
10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
So they have two stages INSIDE the actual hall? is one of the side under an awning or what? I don't remember the concourse being that big at the shows I've seen there but pics say otherwise.

zimmy1222
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
there's extra space behind the main stage, if i recall correctly, that's where the other stages were.

jackstraw94086
10-27-2009, 11:28 PM
whatever, Jack, you're always right, I get it. I'll back out and let you continue being an ass in this thread.
you're welcome.

jackstraw94086
10-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Even before that, I was probably going to cruise over to Haight and catch some lunch at Escape From NY Pizza before I check into the hotel. :) Love that place.

oh good lord.

That place is a chain, and there's a few closer to your hotel than Haight st.

zimmy1222
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
It's sad that they got rid of Fat Slice on Haight... Berkeley is the only place now...

What's the name of that taqueria on Haight that has the colorful doorway? with an upstairs seating area... mmm, Haight street food.

nbvcide
10-27-2009, 11:53 PM
fuck, i need to stop going to shows where i want to see everyone on the lineup and there are multiple stages, every conflict kills me inside a little..

zimmy1222
10-28-2009, 12:29 AM
fuck, i need to stop going to shows where i want to see everyone on the lineup and there are multiple stages, every conflict kills me inside a little..

It'll be ok...we'll get:

The Glitch Mob <---> Bassnectar

Something I've wanted for over two years since they did it in ********* 07...

I think it'll happen this year. (read: hope)

shakermaker113
10-28-2009, 06:28 AM
I'll be happy so long as I get to see both ghostland and bassnectar.

given that this is a friday night, I wonder if anything good is going on saturday.

SDsoldier7
10-28-2009, 06:59 AM

seriously wes, you need to quit this shit. lol. (jk btw)

did you guys see his set time booklet for *********? how it was all highlighted up complete with notes and shit on it? OMFG. it looked like a madd scientists' note book or something. there was like formulas on it or something...

Young blood
10-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Who is going to be added? $75 seems like a lot of money......for poor people.

jackstraw94086
10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
So they have two stages INSIDE the actual hall? is one of the side under an awning or what? I don't remember the concourse being that big at the shows I've seen there but pics say otherwise.

This is how it is always set up.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/SOD.jpg

zimmy1222
10-28-2009, 11:35 AM

It'll probably just be undercard acts... maybe one semi-big act.. Sea of Dreams is always so expensive. The production is what makes it worth the value to them...

Bassnectar, Glitch Mob, Ozo, Yard Dogs would add up to 75 if they were on their own... Plus it's new years... it IS a lot of money though, I'm definitely in the po' folk catagory.

Geno_g
10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I need to get my ticket for this, looks to good, and I've been dying to see Bassnectar....

jackstraw94086
10-28-2009, 01:29 PM

It's NYE. Prices are high everywhere. You're looking at $40-$50 just to cram into a smaller club like Mighty to see one main headliner. $75 for something as high production value as SOD is actually a pretty good deal.

If glitch mob weren't going to be there I might consider paying a bit more than $75.

nbvcide
10-28-2009, 01:51 PM
yeah, as long as Bassnectar & Ghostland don't conflict, i'll be fine.. i wanna see everyone except Ozomatli, and i have a feeling Yard Dogs will be going on right before them.. i have no prob doing half sets for everyone else, but seeing all of Glitch Mob -> Bassnectar would be pretty sweeeet.. and it looks like the stages are close enough together, and capacity is small enough that going from stage to stage won't be a prob..

seriously wes, you need to quit this shit. lol. (jk btw)

did you guys see his set time booklet for *********? how it was all highlighted up complete with notes and shit on it? OMFG. it looked like a madd scientists' note book or something. there was like formulas on it or something...

he's not joking... it DID have formulas and coded messages and drug info and drawings of my planned menu for the weekend haha, every act was color coded and marked with symbols.. redonkulous.. but a 24-hour, five-day, half dozen stages & tents, plus extracurricular activities? that shit's gotta be well planned :)

Sea of Dreams.. not so much, but i am gonna worry about conflicts until i see those set times

jackstraw94086
10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
yeah, as long as Bassnectar & Ghostland don't conflict, i'll be fine.. i wanna see everyone except Ozomatli, and i have a feeling Yard Dogs will be going on right before them.. i have no prob doing half sets for everyone else, but seeing all of Glitch Mob -> Bassnectar would be pretty sweeeet.. and it looks like the stages are close enough together, and capacity is small enough that going from stage to stage won't be a prob..

he's not joking... it DID have formulas and coded messages and drug info and drawings of my planned menu for the weekend haha, every act was color coded and marked with symbols.. redonkulous.. but a 24-hour, five-day, half dozen stages & tents, plus extracurricular activities? that shit's gotta be well planned :)

Sea of Dreams.. not so much, but i am gonna worry about conflicts until i see those set times

The only thing you need to schedule is getting yourself in the door well before midnight.

Get there early or all the planning in the world is worth fuck all.

gmoneyak
10-28-2009, 04:47 PM
oh good lord.

That place is a chain, and there's a few closer to your hotel than Haight st.

I'm going to Haight, Jack!

jackstraw94086
10-28-2009, 04:56 PM
fine but don't pretend it's for the pizza.

gmoneyak
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm stocking up on my patchouli, I'm going to fish-bowl that hotel room like it's nobody's business.

That and pizza..And maybe Amoeba.

chiapet
10-28-2009, 08:59 PM
It's sad that they got rid of Fat Slice on Haight... Berkeley is the only place now...

What's the name of that taqueria on Haight that has the colorful doorway? with an upstairs seating area... mmm, Haight street food.

I think you mean El Balazo.

I miss Fat Slice... I don't really like pizza but once in a while theirs hit the spot. The problem with the one in Berkeley is that it's around the corner from Top Dog, and then I can't decide pizza or brats.

zimmy1222
10-29-2009, 12:34 AM
I think you mean El Balazo.

Correct. : )

jackstraw94086
10-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Fat Slice was gross. You guys need to find better pizza. It's here.

shakermaker113
10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
jackstraw is there anything we say that you don't object to?

jackstraw94086
10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
of course. You're just contented to ignore them.

But let's be honest here. You guys don't often say non-ridiculous things.

zimmy1222
10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
What's better than fat slice?

Unless we're talking homemade organic feta cheese hippie concoction. Those are pretty good. But for the typical slice, Fat Slice & Pizza My Heart have my vote.

jackstraw94086
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
What's better than fat slice?

Unless we're talking homemade organic feta cheese hippie concoction. Those are pretty good. But for the typical slice, Fat Slice & Pizza My Heart have my vote.

oh jesus lord no I would never pretend that some organic hippie shit was going to be better.

We've been through the whole pizza discussion in the San Francisco thread in the Misc Lounge but just to give you the top pick it would be Giorgio's on 3rd & Clement. That bland, gooey fat slice shit was worse than even Mythic Pizza. That shit's only acceptable to severely drunk or moderately stoned people.

If you can't make it all the way out to the inner Richmond Arinell's on 16th & Valencia is OK (stay away from Cable Car pizza next door though).

Pizza orgazmica in the outer richmond is decent. The one in the Marina is pure dog shit.

gmoneyak
10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
You guys crack me up, I think I`ll just go get some sushi instead.. Starting my afternoon off with some nicely chilled sake sounds like a good idea to me.

chiapet
10-29-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't know that I said Fat Slice is "good" pizza. Sometimes otherwise gross things call out to you. I hate Doritos, for example, but sometimes when I see someone at work munching on a bag of them, I have a sudden desire for one.

Fat Slice is more a nostalgic thing, everytime I'd go to Haight St. with friends for CDs or fabric or shoes or to get holes or inks in bodies, they would stop there, eventually I started eating it.

I've already explained I do not like pizza... heh :)

gmonkeyak, sushi is an excellent choice. We have damned fine burritos here too :)

BlackSwan
10-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Fat Slice is disgusting. Mythic Pizza is acceptable if I am drunk/stoned enough.

jackstraw94086
10-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't know that I said Fat Slice is "good" pizza. Sometimes otherwise gross things call out to you. I hate Doritos, for example, but sometimes when I see someone at work munching on a bag of them, I have a sudden desire for one.

Fat Slice is more a nostalgic thing, everytime I'd go to Haight St. with friends for CDs or fabric or shoes or to get holes or inks in bodies, they would stop there, eventually I started eating it.

I've already explained I do not like pizza... heh :)

gmonkeyak, sushi is an excellent choice. We have damned fine burritos here too :)

were you one of those toddlers that ate paste too? I can hook you up with my elmer's glue dealer. He's sitting on some primo sticky right now.

fikus222
10-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I miss the burritos in the Bay Area. I also miss the sushi, Koo on Irving in SF was our favorite.

Last year, before walking over to Sea of Dreams, we ate at Basil Thai on Folsom between 7th and 8th. It was pretty good too.

jackstraw94086
10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
I miss the burritos in the Bay Area. I also miss the sushi, Koo on Irving in SF was our favorite.

Last year, before walking over to Sea of Dreams, we ate at Basil Thai on Folsom between 7th and 8th. It was pretty good too.

Basil's OK. Manora's on folsom & 12th is way better.

There's no point discussing sushi in SF.

chiapet
10-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Really, there is already a thread where you could be posting your pretentious opinions about food in SF. ;)

jackstraw94086
10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Really, there is already a thread where you could be posting your pretentious opinions about food in SF. ;)

aw quit being a cunt.

Saying "that food sucks. This other food is better" is pretension to you? I'm not laying complex arguments about why your pizza sucks. Shooting the shit about food has less to do with any attempt to sound superior and more to do with your shitty palate.

shakermaker113
10-29-2009, 06:07 PM
of course. You're just contented to ignore them.

But let's be honest here. You guys don't often say non-ridiculous things.

then I must be doing a very good job of ignoring them, because I really don't think I have witness it.

zimmy1222
11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
With an-ten-nae being apart of the production... I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple big dubstep artists being added to this bill... He usually is the only one that brings dubstep to SF...

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 11:08 AM
With an-ten-nae being apart of the production... I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple big dubstep artists being added to this bill... He usually is the only one that brings dubstep to SF...

MalLabel brings just as much dubstep to SF (albeit not from as far away). Probably most dubstep shows these days in SF have nothing to do with An-Ten-Nae.

I wouldn't expect a bunch more dubstep at SOD. He's not that big a part of the production, and there's not much point in trying to compete with other dubstep happening that night, or at least where the dubstep "scene" will be.

zimmy1222
11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
MalLabel brings just as much dubstep to SF (albeit not from as far away). Probably most dubstep shows these days in SF have nothing to do with An-Ten-Nae.

While I agree with you about Mallabel, this past year An-ten-nae has brought: Akira Kiteshi, Benga, Skream, Rusko (twice), Datsik, Mary Anne Hobbes, The Joker, new year's eve had: MRK-1, Kromestar, Plastician. Pantyraid (dubstep influence), Filastine, Scuba & Kode9...

I know there's a slew of Dubstep shows more recently, but to say that An-ten-nae is not apart of dubstep shows is downright silly.

I wouldn't expect a bunch more dubstep at SOD. He's not that big a part of the production, and there's not much point in trying to compete with other dubstep happening that night, or at least where the dubstep "scene" will be.

That's what I'm saying: not a lot more, 1 or 2 artists..........

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
While I agree with you about Mallabel, this past year An-ten-nae has brought: Akira Kiteshi, Benga, Skream, Rusko (twice), Datsik, Mary Anne Hobbes, The Joker, new year's eve had: MRK-1, Kromestar, Plastician. Pantyraid (dubstep influence), Filastine, Scuba & Kode9...

I know there's a slew of Dubstep shows more recently, but to say that An-ten-nae is not apart of dubstep shows is downright silly.

That's what I'm saying: not a lot more, 1 or 2 artists..........

You said he was the only person who brings dubstep to SF. I disagreed. I would only grant that he brings them in from further distances. There are slews of dubstep shows on any given night here and he has nothing to do with MOST of them. And it hasn't been "more recently" it's been going on for years now. I never said he has nothing to do with any dubstep shows.

I'm not the one saying catagorical or "downright silly" things here.

guedita
11-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I've been debating whether or not this event is worth the money, since I just spent so much on HARD....it sounds like it definitely is. I'm pretty sure I'll be attending this, and hope to meet all you sweet boardies. As much fun as seeing BoyzNoise might be, at least this event is 18+.

feather
11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I am getting very tempted...

CrimesceneCookie
11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't get this whole dubstep thing?
I've been going to parties since the early 90s and have seen electronic music trends come and go, but I'm baffled about why this is so popular. All the DJs that played breaks (which I love) now are all playing nothing but the same 3 dubstep records over and over. I tried, really I have. Surely I can't be the only one.

zimmy1222
11-02-2009, 04:55 PM
And it hasn't been "more recently" it's been going on for years now.

Probably most dubstep shows these days in SF have nothing to do with An-Ten-Nae.

I was just responding to what you said.

He plays a big part of bringing names that are not from California to San Francisco. He may not be apart of most shows, but his shows are pivotal for the exposure of dubstep from around the world. No one else does that in SF.

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I was just responding to what you said.

He plays a big part of bringing names that are not from California to San Francisco. He may not be apart of most shows, but his shows are pivotal for the exposure of dubstep from around the world. No one else does that in SF.

see there you go adding a catagorical statement at the end to disqualify your point. He's not the only one. outfits like Blasthaus have been known to bring in acts as well. And don't forget that just because you see his name involved with a show doesn't mean it's HIS show. DJ/Promoters cross-book each other all the time (and let's be honest, it's the only reason he plays as much as he does. It is absolutely not about his talent or originality). He gets booked because he promotes his ass off, and even when it's not his show it may seem like it because he's blasting you right and left. He's not the only game in town.

and btw the two statements you just quoted of mine are not mutually exclusive. Yes dubstep has been overblown for going on years now, and he was probably never part of most of them during that span.

And last thing, dont' fool yourself by thinking that Adam is the reason we're exposed to these acts from far away. He's no fool. He brings in known quantities that he knows damn well people will buy. Not even faulting him for it. However he's as much a trend follower as anyone else (as further demonstrated by his own music production).

Bud Luster
11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I am getting very tempted...

You should attend. I'm in for sure, got a costume and everything...

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I've been going to parties since the early 90s and have seen electronic music trends come and go, but I'm baffled about why this is so popular. All the DJs that played breaks (which I love) now are all playing nothing but the same 3 dubstep records over and over. I tried, really I have. Surely I can't be the only one.
you're not alone. If you complain about genres you get treated like a pariah nowadays. Pretensions against genre-whores has become even worse than the genre whores themselves.

I also miss the days when you could say "I prefer a good [blank] show" without seeing a bunch of freakier than thou playa dusted douchebags frowning at you.

But take heart. Just as you've seen other genres come and go, so too shall be the fate of dubstep (at least what people are calling dubstep today).

Bud Luster
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Most dubstep sounds exactly the same to me. "I prefer a good acid breaks show."

zimmy1222
11-02-2009, 05:35 PM
ok, fine, other people bring international dubstep... but adam is up there with the best at doing it, if not the best. is that ok with you?

and I don't think he's the MAIN reason we're exposed to those acts, but it certainly helps exposure when he, specifically, pulls them here.

zimmy1222
11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I also miss the days when you could say "I prefer a good [blank] show" without seeing a bunch of freakier than thou playa dusted douchebags frowning at you.

This is the main (and really the only) problem I have with this scene. It used to really irk me, I'm more accepting of their elitist behavior now-a-days.

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 05:59 PM
ok, fine, other people bring international dubstep... but adam is up there with the best at doing it, if not the best. is that ok with you?

and I don't think he's the MAIN reason we're exposed to those acts, but it certainly helps exposure when he, specifically, pulls them here.

k fine.

I'll fully grant he's important to SF music. I just don't like seeing people gush over him (or anyone else for that matter). DJ/promoters have massive egos.

actually I will take issue with your last statement. He doesn't impart greater stature to acts that he brings simply because it's him who brings them. He doesn't take a lot of big chances. Those acts made themselves. Mary Ann Hobbs deserves far more credit for making these people popular.
I will forever love him for being the only one to bring Si Begg to the US though. And I'll forever hate him for scheduling him after the noise ordinance mandated the subs be shut off.
Fucking horrible.

Young blood
11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
hahahahahahahahaha I take back all the nice things I said about you, you egotistical bastard.

I agree with you about si begg, you asshole promoters have to get your shit together and bring him back.

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
hahahahahahahahaha I take back all the nice things I said about you, you egotistical bastard.

I agree with you about si begg, you asshole promoters have to get your shit together and bring him back.

It's not like people haven't invited him.

The guy apparently just doesn't travel.

Young blood
11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
His ego probably doesnt fit in the overhead bin.

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 06:27 PM
ah but the ego and talent curves are generally inverse.

see for instance a guy like an-ten-nae, talent eh, ego large.
Me: gi-fucking-nourmously massive ego.

Si: humble.

Young blood
11-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Si is deserving of giant ego if he has one.

PS you too "Jack", start promoting yourself more you pussy. Even my buddy "Spectre" is getting a ton of recognition, you need to do the same.

HandBanana
11-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Speaking of which, that Wild Angels comp is one of my favorite things Ive heard all year.

jackstraw94086
11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Si is deserving of giant ego if he has one.

PS you too "Jack", start promoting yourself more you pussy. Even my buddy "Samples" is getting a ton of recognition, you need to do the same.

I don't put on the lipstick and whore myself just cuz you say so.

I do it when it suits me.

remember that.

Young blood
11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Give me a call when your ready to go to the dance.

feather
11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I pitched the idea of going to this to Barbara, since I only get to see her right around new years, and she is in! We are going to dress as different sea creatures. I'm going to be a rainbow fish.

Are their SF outlets selling tickets for cheaper?

zimmy1222
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I pitched the idea of going to this to Barbara, since I only get to see her right around new years, and she is in! We are going to dress as different sea creatures. I'm going to be a rainbow fish.

Are their SF outlets selling tickets for cheaper?

I don't think they've put them in outlets yet... and they'd probably be about the same price since it's only 7 dollars in fees.

feather
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
How is the venue? Could anyone compare it to something in LA?

Has anyone gotten VIP at this event before? Are there fireworks?

New Years is a big deal for me so I need feedback :)

CrimesceneCookie
11-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I would like to know if anyone has inexpensive hotel tips.

thanks!

Young blood
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

thanks!

tenderloin district.

feather
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

thanks!

Perhaps a hostel. Yes inexpensive housing is important because I am leaning toward flying since nye weekend will have a bunch of loons on the road.

SFChrissy
11-03-2009, 03:10 PM
How is the venue? Could anyone compare it to something in LA?

Has anyone gotten VIP at this event before? Are there fireworks?

New Years is a big deal for me so I need feedback :)I went to my first "Rave" at this venue so going there is always nostalgiac...however I have only been there a few times since.

SFChrissy
11-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Perhaps a hostel. Yes inexpensive housing is important because I am leaning toward flying since nye weekend will have a bunch of loons on the road.take hostage of shakey's park front apartment!!!

chiapet
11-03-2009, 03:12 PM

Omg! Yes! I am pretty sure I am in but am waiting for my friend Heidi to yea or nay it. I'll probably go either way though. Hrmmmm costumes.

feather
I went to my first "Rave" at this venue so going there is always nostalgiac...however I have only been there a few times since.

:pulse ********* reunion :pulse

SDsoldier7
are you going chrissy?

feather
11-03-2009, 03:13 PM
take hostage of shakey's park front apartment!!!

I know I will end up crashing at some board members house...who yet I'm not sure!

jackstraw94086
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I know I will end up crashing at some board members house...who yet I'm not sure!

PotvsKtl has a couch.

Tix are same price at outlets.

If VIP is the same as years past it just grants you access to the upstairs area, which is only really useful to avoid (longer) bar lines, I think bathroom too. There's some food up there too. You can decide whether that's worth an extra $50.

Young blood
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Will you post his address?

chiapet
11-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Was will call bad in the past? I am wondering if there is any reason to go to an outlet (when they go on sale) in order to get a hard ticket.

crazzz2007
11-03-2009, 04:48 PM

no. dubstep sucks. same sound, different shitty djs. no innovation. boring.

feather
11-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Omg! Yes! I am pretty sure I am in but am waiting for my friend Heidi to yea or nay it. I'll probably go either way though. Hrmmmm costumes.

I'm thinking a post-rave brunch with some bloody marys and mimosas on Friday? YUM. You should be a sea creature with us!

PotvsKtl has a couch.

I don't think Pot wants me on his couch and I am too scared to ask. I did not know he lived in SF but if he wanted to meet for some drinks I would be down.

I am debating what is the best option, driving or flying? (Patrick also suggested I use the Amtrak, anyone a fan of it?)

Driving cons: Takes up 6+ hrs of party time, kind of tiring, may be delayed by traffic, parking in sf sucks, crazy people on the road during nye.

Pros: Carpools, saves money, see the cali road, can carry more stuff, Barb is on a budget.

Flying cons: $125 + tax flights out of Long Beach or LAX from that Thursday-Sunday. (I want to stay through the weekend to hangout)

Pros: 1 hr flight, drinking on flight, no car worries, convenient, leaves more room to party, if you are tired no worries about the drive back.

crazzz2007
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Most dubstep sounds exactly the same to me.

it doesn't just "sound" exactly the same. it is the same. and it's boring as fuck.

jackstraw94086
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Getting a hotel room on NYE seems almost like a waste of money.

chiapet
11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't consider Amtrak for anything where you want to / need to be someplace around a specific time. The trains run very late, especially along those routes since priority is still given to freight. (And yes, I know Amtrak's site quotes reasonable on-time rates, but try it and find out. :) )

Don't get me wrong, it's .. interesting, but I think you might regret spending a minimum of 24 hours, more likely 30-35 on a train around NYE. If I take Amtrak I plan for 1.5x the route time table, it's usually less but not by a lot.

Amtrak is also probably more expensive than flying now that JetBlue & Virgin America run between our cities.

chiapet
11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm thinking a post-rave brunch with some bloody marys and mimosas on Friday? YUM. You should be a sea creature with us!

I think yes to the bloody mary brunch (though I'm going to be oncall starting at 8AM that morning so I'll have to take it easy... :nono ). The sea creature idea intrigues me since I was already thinking along those lines too. We'll see how much time and ambition I have. :) BTW my friend Heidi that you met at Coachella likes to dress up so I might have to get her to do it too....

Aurgasm
11-03-2009, 05:30 PM
See you all there.

xo

forza

guest-1185
11-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Team Jaguar, unite!

Aurgasm
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Bangarang!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/wolverinechick121/Rufio/RufioHookGrin01.jpg

chiapet
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
What is up with this Jaguar business? I keep thinking of you guys running around dressed like Mayans or some such shit.

shakermaker113
11-03-2009, 06:02 PM

people are most welcome at my place but there's only so many people that can fit in a studio.

all this talk of you party people attending makes me happy.

Aurgasm
11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
What is up with this Jaguar business? I keep thinking of you guys running around dressed like Mayans or some such shit.

jaguars? huh? whaaa. jaguars in black and silver? Huh? wha???

Bangarang, RUFIO!

shakermaker113
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Was will call bad in the past? I am wondering if there is any reason to go to an outlet (when they go on sale) in order to get a hard ticket.

last year it was so bad that blackswan abandoned it altogether. he had a ticket at will call and, after showing up, ended up not going.

hopefully they will have it sorted out this year, but yeah I recommend people stay on the safe side and have their ticket in hand.

nbvcide
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM

best idea ever.

chiapet
11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
^^^ I have to admit I immediately went off to google "mayan ocean gods". I did find a goddess of salt water.

gmoneyak
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Nice!

It's looking like this party is expanding even more.

Under any other circumstance I would definitely be down with sharing my hotel room, but I'm going to flying my girl in from PHX and we undoubtedly will be cherishing some privacy after hours. Ya know.

guedita
11-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Amtrak is somewhat reliable, but it totally just does matter on the day. The train up from down south to the bay is beautiful, and you can bring your own drinks on board. My friend and I were discussing underwater themed outfits as well...

Aurgasm
11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
My friend and I were discussing underwater themed outfits as well...

ITS GETTING HOTTER UNDER DA SEA! getting my sebastian on

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_H2Nyr9b9m8A/RzpMC-D32uI/AAAAAAAAECg/l7i-f4xvb8o/s400/sebastian.gif

emtgreg
11-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh goodness, this is going to explode.

I am in.

zimmy1222
11-03-2009, 09:01 PM
end up at the end up?

bahaha

shakermaker113
11-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I think the coachella message board attendance to this event tripled today.

feather
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
See you all there.

xo

forza

Lies!

Team Jaguar, unite!

RAWR!!!

Bangarang!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/wolverinechick121/Rufio/RufioHookGrin01.jpg

OMG I love Rufio!

What is up with this Jaguar business?

It arose this summer when too many of us were having too much fun Underworld weekend.

people are most welcome at my place but there's only so many people that can fit in a studio.

all this talk of you party people attending makes me happy.

We will be rolling kind of deep, I want us to be slightly comfortable while not compromising anyones space...we will figure it out we always do.

It's looking like this party is expanding even more.

We will own the place.

So at this moment we are looking at:

Feather
Whip
BarbaraNinja
Shaker
Geno
Zimmy
Daft Fro
Wes
Darryl
emtgreg
Boarderwoozel
Chrissy (cross fingers)
gmoneyak
chiapet
Bud Luster
guedita
crazzzzzz

Holla!

PassiveTheory
11-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I might be coming up for this if I can find a place to crash at.

guedita
11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Add me, Feather. I may have an extra couch/floor room to crash in, but I can't guarantee anything this early on.

shakermaker113
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
boarderwoozel is coming?

good god this will be great.

feather
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
If we have to get a hotel room then so be it. There's going to be a lot of Pina Coladas, bubble bath, champagne, after beats and fun to be had after 4am. This is new years people!

rage patton
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Who is playing this?

feather
11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/Nbvwes/initialwebflyerfmall.jpg

rage patton
11-03-2009, 10:18 PM
GHOSTLAND? Fuck. I wish I could make it to SF for this New Years. Sounds like it would be a blast.

feather
11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
RAVE PATTON would really round out the lineup! So excited to see Ghostland, Random Rab, Bassnectar, and Yard Dogs again.

I don't know anything about Matty Patty or An-ten-nae though, any suggestions?

zimmy1222
11-03-2009, 11:28 PM

MaRty PaRty: http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2009/08/pantyraid-drops-exclusive-mix
Marty Party + Ooah (from the glitch mob) = Pantyraid

An-ten-nae: http://www.an-ten-nae.net/music.html

nbvcide
11-04-2009, 12:40 AM

An-ten-nae was at Symbi.. i think it was alex that was talking about how amazing their set was and how they need to do coach..

and as far as Marty Party, any glitch mob related side project is NOT something you wanna miss (remember Crying Over Porcelain For No Reason?)

Aurgasm
11-04-2009, 12:45 AM
lies?

do not challenge me

zimmy1222
11-04-2009, 12:49 AM
An-ten-nae was at Symbi.. i think it was alex that was talking about how amazing their set was and how they need to do coach..

and as far as Marty Party, any glitch mob related side project is NOT something you wanna miss (remember Crying Over Porcelain For No Reason?)

An-ten-nae has been in the do lab the last two years i think...

and Marty Party will drop some sauce from the pantyraid project..but he's got a lot of good solo material also.

Geno_g
11-04-2009, 01:18 AM
I would be down to throw down on a hotel...

guest-1185
11-04-2009, 01:50 AM
end up at the end up?

bahaha

Worse things have happened :D

crazzz2007
11-04-2009, 02:19 AM
i was there last year. i'll be going this year too.

and an-ten-nae sucks.

herro kitty
11-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh man...

Let's do this.

WAIT. How cold is it in SF in January?

emtgreg
11-04-2009, 07:10 AM
not THAT cold...this is CA not Maine or something...

Just bring a Snuggie or 3!!

shakermaker113
11-04-2009, 07:13 AM
lol yeah compared to virginia not cold at all. but it certainly gets cold, a lot colder than LA. who knows maybe we will luck out and have a warm night that night.

one thing I hated about the concourse at past events is their lack of a coat check. wtf are they thinking? fortunately cabs most places you will need to go shouldn't be more than $15. with as many people as we have we can easily cab it to and from the event and avoid the cold.

SFChrissy
11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Oh man...

Let's do this.

WAIT. How cold is it in SF in January?I can't believe your asking this question...

SFChrissy
11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Chrissy is officially OAM!!!

zimmy1222
11-04-2009, 08:35 AM
yes, an-ten-nae is a promoter, not much of a producer..

he plays music at the shows he promotes.

I'm sure there will be bigger and better things going on during his set.

The love for this thread is pleasing the shit outta me. :D

chiapet
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Seriously no coat check? I've never tried to check anything there, but that seems unreasonable for NYE.

Barb, it can be kind of cold, probably low 40s at night, and as often as not, raining. The venue itself (for the shows I've been to at least) is kind of warm. Dilemma. I was thinking of a sleeveless costume and stuffing a sweater into my bag.

I think the hotel would be a good option if you can swing it, because you are going to want to keep going after 4AM. If I didn't have to be coherent and working first thing in the morning, I'd be up for staying up in a hotel all night. :) As it is, I will probably end up skipping Ozomatli if they really are the last act.