PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's headlining my local festival this year.

MissingPerson
02-18-2009, 02:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/killers.jpg

So now I have to hear two landmasses' worth of bitching.

Bloody marvellous.

zajaa
02-18-2009, 03:09 AM
idk what oxegen is but claiming to be the best festival in europe? can you call yourself that? sorry about the killers again MP

MissingPerson
02-18-2009, 03:18 AM
It got voted #1 in an online poll last year. Presumably, no other countries voted, because there's no way in hell Oxegen competes with Glastonbury or Benicassim or something.

It's not even Ireland's best music festival, it's just the biggest.

Psicosis
02-18-2009, 04:04 AM
They are headlining the V Festival here in Oz - Killers, Snow Patrol, Human League and Madness. Frustrating, I think I'll go if I can get a comp ticket.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-18-2009, 06:49 AM
your sooooo lucky MP!!! It is not like the Killers are headlining anything else this year!

frozen pilgrim
02-18-2009, 07:00 AM
they're this year's jack johnson. I'd put $100 on them having a contract like I'd still bet JJ did wherein the act plays for a much lower than normal booking fee in exchange for higher than normal billing. because there is no greater publicity or 'cred builder' these days for a band than headlining major festivals.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-18-2009, 07:11 AM
It isn't like the killers haven't headlined a major International Music festival before:
http://blog.q4music.com/glastonbury/2007/02/the_killers_named_as_glastonbu.html

THE KILLERS NAMED AS GLASTONBURY HEADLINERS
The Killers will be headlining this year's Glastonbury festival, Q can exclusively reveal. They join the Arctic Monkeys and The Who as the Main Stage headliners.

"We're really chuffed that we've got The Killers," Emily Eavis tells Q. "They broke through on the New Band stage in 2004 and came back the following year on the Main Stage, so they've come up through the festival. They're the right band to headline this year's festival."

The Who's guitarist Pete Townshend confirmed that the veteran British band will be playing their first Glastonbury this year. They close the festival on Sunday night.

"This chapter of the band is over in July 2007, so if you want to catch the new Who at their most effective for 20 years, come and join us," says Townshend.

In addition to Björk's headlining appearance on The Other Stage, also strongly rumoured to be performing at this year's festival are: Lily Allen, Arcade Fire, Babyshambles, Bloc Party, The Chemical Brothers, the reformed Creedence Clearwater Revival, Daft Punk, Editors, The Fratellis, Happy Mondays, Hot Chip, Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, The Klaxons, The Kooks, Larrikin Love, The Magic Numbers, Paolo Nutini, Scissor Sisters, Super Furry Animals, The Twang and The View.

As always, the full OFFICIAL Glastonbury line-up will be revealed by Q on 1 June.

sonofhal
02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
It probably won as it has a "Best festival awards - vote for us and win tickets" banner on the homepage. Bribery always works!

suprefan
02-18-2009, 07:33 AM
The Killers are this years Jack Johnson to go along with Ben Harper as festival whores.

MissingPerson
02-18-2009, 08:09 AM
To be fair, they've headlined it before.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/Oxegenposter.jpg

Yes, above Arcade Fire and Daft Punk.

MarkO
02-18-2009, 08:09 AM
When does the Electric Picnic lineup come out ?

MissingPerson
02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
I'd say March, I'm not a hundred percent though. My Bloody Valentine delayed the announcement last year, didn't they?

I've applied to the crew I was working with last year again, but I'm not sure if they're even going this year. New economic climate and all...

davrone
02-18-2009, 08:30 AM

HAHA. Avril Lavigne on the same stage as Muse? Seriously?

MissingPerson
02-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Yes.

No, we didn't understand it either.

Some drunken Canadian dude in a Bloc Party shirt kept apologising about it to everybody.

Lavigne had pom poms.

:nono

bmack86
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM
They were above Brian Wilson? You Irish have fucked priorities.

woogie846
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I am so, so sorry.

Aurgasm
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
02 is a joke. go to Roskilde or Glastonbury if you can. my chemical romance? barf

Pixiessp
02-18-2009, 10:43 AM

for a split second i thought it said Pigeon Pancake. whew!!! i thought i was going to have to sue.

chairmenmeow47
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
how cute that anyone thought razorlight should be billed that high :p

Boourns
02-18-2009, 10:46 AM
The Killers are this years Jack Johnson to go along with Ben Harper as festival whores.

And...
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
TV on the Radio
Girl Talk (three years in a row)

Boourns
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Seriously. I miss the good old days when bands that were much bigger in Europe than here were actually good.

sonofhal
02-18-2009, 10:48 AM

They play stadiums over here, so no big shock.

kitt kat
02-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Pet Sounds Stage? I think AC played there once.

pancakespancakes
02-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Hahahaha wow. Ireland is pretty weird. I have never even heard of Razorlight in my entire life.

The funniest part, though, is that that's actually a great fucking lineup that I would totally go to if it was in California.

Boourns
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I like how their festivals break down the lineup into stages.

sonofhal
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Most European festivals do this way before stage times are announced, so you at least have an idea of how things are going to run.

clumsy342
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Jesus! I thought that Oxegen 07 poster was THIS years!
fwheew.. that was intense for a minute.

marooko
02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
is this a sign of festivals dying, or have they always shared the same headliner?

weeklymix
blur is playing oxegen this year

clumsy342
Pet Sounds Stage? I think AC played there once.

Hey Kat, you know Animal Collective are touring, right??

hah.. just kidding.

Boourns
02-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Most European festivals do this way before stage times are announced, so you at least have an idea of how things are going to run.

I wish the same was true for American festivals.

kitt kat
02-18-2009, 12:01 PM

hah.. just kidding.

OMG NO WAI

pancakespancakes
02-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Arcade Fire + Daft Punk + Brian Wilson in ONE DAY? You have to admit, that shit's epic.

The day before really isn't half-amazing either.

Just sayin.

MarkO
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
HAHA. Avril Lavigne on the same stage as Muse? Seriously?

Why not ?? They're both shite.

sbessiso
02-18-2009, 02:37 PM
You better fucking watch them, MP

MissingPerson
02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
:p

Whether I'm going or not depends entirely on whether I get hired this year, Sbess, I can't afford to pay for a ticket to anything right now.

I know, right?

That's roughly the order everybody plays in too, so Arcade Fire were sandwiched between Razor bloody Light and The motherfucking Kooks, much to Win Butler's amusement. He's not an arrogant dude, but he did make a couple of cracks at Razorlight's expense between songs. Which I think only fair considering they had to play their set in the shadow of a huge enormous RAZORLIGHT! sign.

It's not exactly like they appeal to the same audiences either. As soon as Arcade Fire stepped off the stage, the crowd swapped over completely, we all left just as Razorlight's crowd of fifteen year old girls took over. (Here's a radio rip of AF's set, and yes, nearly all our radio presenters are Canadian for some reason... (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7NQ9KWJE))

It should be noted, Oxegen isn't really comparable to Coachella. It's very much a Joe Public festival, those top five names on Sunday were essentially the top five selling artists here in 2007, which is why it's such a weird mix. You get a lot of cooler indie-er stuff on some of the smaller stages, but the bands at the top of the bill are there purely because they shifted the most records that year.

That's what I love about it and what I hate about it, to be honest, they get a great mix of bands, but you also get a great mix of 80,000 other complete jerks who make a point of only giving a crap about the stuff they've heard before. It's a rough fest, too, you hear of a few rapes, stabbings and bad, bad overdoses pretty much every year.

Although I have to say, even though I wasn't doing any of the raping, stabbing or overdosing, I still had a fantastic time in 2007. That was a great line up, and I brought home a lot of fond memories.

suprefan
02-18-2009, 05:11 PM

hah.. just kidding.

Is touring, get it right

Blinken
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I wasn't doing any of the raping, stabbing or overdosing

:nono You need to try harder this year.

Mr. Dylanja
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
MPeezy, what stage are you playing?

MissingPerson
02-18-2009, 05:20 PM
MPeezy, what stage are you playing?

Smartarse. :D

Last year I played the Main Stage at Electric Picnic, but it was three days before the festival and there was no audience.

Mr. Dylanja
02-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Smartarse. :D

Last year I played the Main Stage at Electric Picnic, but it was three days before the festival and there was no audience.

Just ahead of your time, MPeezy :)

sbessiso
02-19-2009, 01:23 AM

mmmm this looks so amazing!!!! Killers, scissor sisters, interpol, DAFT PUNK???

sonofhal
02-19-2009, 02:13 AM
I was just thinking how shite it looked. Apart from AF, the main stage is 2 days of smegma.

sbessiso
02-19-2009, 04:06 AM
yeah but theres juicy things scattered throughout the place

Grant
02-19-2009, 04:27 AM
They are headlining the V Festival here in Oz - Killers, Snow Patrol, Human League and Madness. Frustrating, I think I'll go if I can get a comp ticket.

Shit, can we have Human League and Madness?

Psicosis
02-19-2009, 06:29 AM

Add Yeah Yeah Yeahs to that list.

Shit, can we have Human League and Madness?

Human League are playing D.A.R.E in it's entirety, too.

MissingPerson
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Just ahead of your time, MPeezy :)

Here's my late night set -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/CIMG0237.jpg

Take that, Prince.

Cherita Chen
03-11-2009, 03:25 AM
The Killers are amazing! I hope you go to this